Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    it's quite common to have things like that in contracts. they'll list things like the actor can't change his/her appearance with out approval (no hair cuts until you're done with an episode), can't do risky things like skydiving, surfing, motorcycle riding, etc. they can be prohibited from gaining too much weight, losing too much weight and for the females, getting pregnant.
    Hair cuts kinda make sense, in a way. I still find Teak'c with hair highly unbelievable, seeing his reaction during Holiday. But a no pregnancy clause is just horrible. How do they have the right to buy people's lives like that?

Having a d'uh reaction. Thankfully everyone chose to ignore my dumb question about which ep is the red top/leather jacked combo from. After being inspired by the sounds on msn "yasureyabetcha" and "whatchadoin" I watched Small Victories, Upgrades, Divide and Conquer and Window of Opportunity. Four great episodes on one disk. The outfit in question is, of course, the outfit she wears to O'Malley's in Upgrades.

I laughed so much at Teal'c in that episode. He had a great funny run in those few episodes, from "I have no reason to apologise" through to the head bashing in WoO.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
      Hair cuts kinda make sense, in a way. I still find Teak'c with hair highly unbelievable, seeing his reaction during Holiday. But a no pregnancy clause is just horrible. How do they have the right to buy people's lives like that.
      Yeah, I know it sounds terrible. But you have to remember that the actors aren't promoting a commodity, they are the commodity. The product they're selling is - themselves (as cringe-worthy as that might sound). So the studios and the producers have a great deal of money invested in timely production. Major changes which could occur to an actor's body would delay or even cancel production which would mean losing a great deal of money, hence the clauses. It's not like other professions in that there's a personal line that doesn't get crossed (with respect to professional ethics), because the actors are, in fact, "the product" being marketed (just as much as the final show is), the studio does have that right. As dirty as it might sound, in the industry actors often (jokingly) refer to their plight as a form of "legal" prostitution, in the sense that it's their physicality which is (in large part) up for sale. The actor's body is their tool; is their product.

In reality, however, unplanned pregnancies often happen during the shooting of TV series., etc. Though (technically) the studios could sue in some cases if they wanted to, it almost never happens anymore - unless there's a really big monetary investment at stake - the bad PR is too risky, for one thing. Most of the time they'll just go with it. And actors who want to start a family (and are hindered by no pregnancy clauses) will almost always be upfront about it with the studio and they'll have the clause amended without any argument (in almost all cases, again, depending). I've never heard of a studio that wasn't willing to play ball with an actor who wanted to get pregnant on a series - but usually the actor will play ball with them too and keep their body a certain way for a few seasons first. It's a professional choice they make.

In the end, it's not really much different than (say) a woman agreeing to be part of the crew of an isolated research station, or any other kind of gig where (even if their spouse is with them), getting pregnant wouldn't be particularily advisable, given professional considerations.

In the end, it's the woman's choice. Entirely. Whether to sign/agree to it, or not.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I know, I kinda knew that but it just sounds very harsh and callous to me.

Comment

it does sound harsh, unfortunately i think amanda phrased it best. when the boys had babies - thier wives/girlfriends - adn the baby was born, the character was written out for a week or so (this is why jack got shot with the arrow in spirits, to wound him and give him time off to be with wylie. originally, he went to the planet, the arrow missed him and you can tell that sam got his lines. the next episode, matter of time, daniel was written out so that MS could be with Valitare). they come back to work, share a few cigars adn pictures and the woman might bring the baby by to visit.

minimal effect on taping.

a woman gets pregnant, all of a sudden she can't do the stunts she used to do. her figure changes, her clothing needs change. how you shoot her changes if you're hiding baby, she starts to sit down a lot or stand behind things (scully wore a lot of rain coats)

then after the baby is born, she needs time to recuperate and physically heal. she is usually the main care taker so, in at's case, a nanny was added to help her on set, she had to run off every few hours to feed and care for the baby. she has to get her body back into shape. there may be things she can't do because she is breast feeding. there are doctors appts for her and the baby to schedule around and just a whole host of other issues that only apply to a female.

it is biology. and may not be fair but there's not much to be done about it.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            it is biology. and may not be fair but there's not much to be done about it.
            Yep yep yep, biology for which the benefits, any mother would argue, far outweigh the annoyance of personal sacrifice. We are ... what we are. And there comes a point, no matter how career-centric our lives may be, when every woman begins to see the scale tip in a direction she might never have anticipated it would ever lean. Amazing, how strong biology can be.

Huh. And hey, funnily enough, I read a great little introspective Sam Carter fic only yesterday, about just this thing! It's called "Universal Constants"

http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...constants.html

mini

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Yep yep yep, biology for which the benefits, any mother would argue, far outweigh the annoyance of personal sacrifice. We are ... what we are. And there comes a point, no matter how career-centric our lives may be, when every woman begins to see the scale tip in a direction she might never have anticipated it would ever lean. Amazing, how strong biology can be.

Huh. And hey, funnily enough, I read a great little introspective Sam Carter fic only yesterday, about just this thing! It's called "Universal Constants"

mini
              I bet Amanda would appreciate this one. Thanks for the rec.

My LJ

Comment

gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                  I was going to say the same. Hmm, let's see, considering some of the spoilers and pics I've seen, I am definitely looking forward to Off the Grid and Friday's episode.
                  Spoiler:
                  I liked what I saw in thre preview for Friday, namely Sam's face while Landry is speaking and the way she ordered SG-1 through the gate. Maybe that's the ep where Amanda said to RCC that Sam should be leading? I am looking forward to Off the Grid, because it looks different. For both eps I am crossing my fingers for lots of Soldier!Sam. Just hope that it won't be like Babylon where the preview showed Soldier!Sam and then she was hardly in the ep at all.
                  I thought the same thing, based on what we know of what she said to RCC. It seems like they compensated for that big time...

Unless, of course, it's a trick
                  Spoiler:
                  like Babylon, I suppose.

But somehow, I think it's legit.

Spoiler:
                  Still have to chuckle at Landry already considering Teal'c "like family," though.
                  Heh heh. That made me laugh a little inside.
                  Spoiler:
                  "Oh, we're just one big family at the SGC - just like old times. Really!"

Comment

mini
                    Mini... that is possibly the loveliest fic I've ever read! Thanks for posting that here!

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                      Look what I just found:

“Abby Lord” TV Movie starring Joe Lando, Maria Del Mar & Amanda Tapping
                      Lifetime Network /Brainstorm Media
                      Executive Producer: Meyer Shwarzstein, Robert Mickelson
                      Producer: Scott Kennedy
                      Director: Matt Hastings
                      Production Executive: Trisha Robinson
                      Production date: September - December 2005

Not that I didn't believe Amanda when she said she was part of the movie, but it's nice to finally see her name officially listed. Wonder when we will hear more about it, though.

ooooh and she is playing opposite Joe Lando. He's very cute IMHO!!! Lucky lucky AT playing opposite so many cute male co-stars! THis is the one that she plays a detective in isn't it? I'm looking forward to it!
                      Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 26 January 2006, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                        ooooh and she is playing opposite Joe Lando. He's very cute IMHO!!! Lucky lucky AT playing opposite so many cute male co-stars! THis is the one that she plays a detective in isn't it? I'm looking forward to it!
                        Yup, that's right. She's gonna show that nasty Pete Shanahan how the job should be done.

Comment

I just wanted to stop in and say how much I'm loving how the Samantha and Mitchell relationship is progressing. I think they are just wonderful together. I like how they seem so comfortable with each other that they can tease each other like they do. It certainly plays like they've known each other for a long time. Sam will sometimes seem a bit exasperated with Mitchell's teasing, but mostly she's seems lovingly indulgent. [I mean all this in the friendship sense and not a romantic one.] In RE,
                          Spoiler:
                          I think this is brought out quite nicely. Mitchell's remark about getting to second base may not have been totally appropriate - although no one seemed to mind overmuch - but Sam gave a great "rolling the eyes" reaction [without actually rolling her eyes], which seemed endearingly indulgent, and her "theoretically" response was both sweet and a little cutting - But obviously between friends. I know not everyone sees these scenes the way I do, but I think they like each other, even if Sam sometimes has to be indulgent with Mitchell's teasing. She obviously comes out of these encounters looking more "mature" than Mitchell, but I don't think either of them care. They have fun together.

When Mitchell told Sam that she finally had someone as smart as she is to talk to, Sam's "Yep" and facial expression was totally adorable. Again, they looked like they've done this kind of teasing for years. I think Mitchell is awed by Sam's brilliance, and Sam may have been a little embarrassed by it at some point, but the teasing and her reactions now show that she's more comfortable, at least with Mitchell's admiration of her.

One other thing: In the scene that y'all are talking about where Mitchell stands up real close to Sam and she seems to jump back, I think they both stood up at the same time and didn't expect to find themselves that close to each other. I think it surprised both of them, didn't they both jump back a little? Amanda/Sam more, but I think Ben/Mitchell also reacted in a way that showed he was a little surprised that they ended up so close to each other. Anyway, he was supposed to stage-whisper to her, so he was aiming for close, but maybe not that close. Amanda/Sam, for her part, maybe was emphasizing her reaction because they were close and Sam didn't realize that Mitchell wanted to whisper something to her. Did that make sense? I think it was a combination of both of them standing at the same time and being surprised that their individual paths brought them so close together and the fact that Mitchell was trying to get close to whisper.

Sorry I got so long-winded and sorry most of it is in spoiler tags, but I think we have to keep recent episodes hush-hush.

Here's the Reader's Digest Condensed Version:

Amanda and Ben look like they are having a great time with the playful relationship between Sam and Mitchell, and I'm having a great time watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                            Amanda and Ben look like they are having a great time with the playful relationship between Sam and Mitchell, and I'm having a great time watching them.
                            Hey Chillin'!

That was a very insightful analysis. I wish I could agree with you on all points, but for me (though I want to see more of a friendly, fun-loving relationship develop between Sam and Cameron now that he's a part of the team), I just haven't seen it gel that way yet.

I've been having a hard time feeling the connection that is supposed to exist between them. It's not any one thing I can point to, but there's a balance of familiarity that's missing. I'm hoping to see it show up, given time. But in order for that to happen, I think we need to see some more character development from Cameron (most especially) and also from Sam, given that she's not the kind of person who throws herself easily into close friendships. If the two of them do have close history (as friends) I think we also need to see more of that become apparent through the narratives, rather than simply be "told" about it in passing.

Anyhow, I'm optimisitic for the future there - who knows what might come up as the next season unfolds.

minigeek
                            Last edited by minigeek; 26 January 2006, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hi, Minigeek!

No problem, I realize I'm probably looking at things through rose-colored glasses: they are my two favorite characters and I really, really want to see them have a close, fun, friendly relationship, so my viewpoint might be a bit skewed.

And, hey, you're optimistic! Maybe it will pay off!!!

Comment

Hey Chillin'!

That was a very insightful analysis. I wish I could agree with you on all points, but for me (though I want to see more of a friendly, fun-loving relationship develop between Sam and Cameron now that he's a part of the team), I just haven't seen it gel that way yet.

I've been having a hard time feeling the connection that is supposed to exist between them. It's not any one thing I can point to, but there's a balance of familiarity that's missing. I'm hoping to see it show up, given time. But in order for that to happen, I think we need to see some more character development from Cameron (most especially) and also from Sam, given that she's not the kind of person who throws herself easily into close friendships. If the two of them do have close history (as friends) I think we also need to see more of that become apparent through the narratives, rather than simply be "told" about it in passing.

Anyhow, I'm optimisitic for the future there - who knows what might come up as the next season unfolds.

minigeek
                                Agreed, Mini. There has to be some back story there, because Sam is very stand offish at first. It takes her a little bit to warm to people, so I reckon that needs explaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X