Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Thank god we have Vala next season... now the writers can make Vala the new male guest star interest and Sam can go back to saving the universe.
    i'm still afraid they'll just forget sam is there. teal'c too. what really bugs me is that they'll start to use vala as the goa'uld expert. they'll use her ability to use goa'uld technology a lot, when they hardly ever touch on the fact that sam has the same abilities.

they'll use vala as the one who solves the mystery of the week, like in beachead, vala will save the day, and sam will fade into the background.

they've taken the team leadership away from her this year, next year it'll be the goa'uld host thing and the save the day stuff. i'm a little bit worried its going to be the vala, mitchell and daniel show next year.

a little ott here but: in collateral damage, when they were in a briefing and landry as off screen but they were speaking to him, i actually forgot it was him and i was expecting to see hammond. when landry started to speak, and appeared on screen, i got really disappointed.
    i think its because he was on last weeks show.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1
      Okay I've seen it a few times, but I still have no idea what "green ya" means
      Green is the color of a reputation block. You see everyone has blocks of green below their post count. People give reputation for funny, interesting, informative, etc., posts. To give green, click the little scales icon button in the gray bar. On the next page, be sure the "Approve" circle is filled in, and click submit.
      SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

You have been greened....its all over now.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

sorry, i meant add to your reputation (positively). when ya get a rep point, eventually it gives you more of those green blobs under where it says how many posts you have. you can check your green count, and comments on why you got them if you go to my controls at the top of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
            Contrary to how my previous posts might have sounded like, I have very, very mixed feelings about this season and I am not happy at all. I guess, I am just trying to stay positive and trying really, really hard to find good things in each episode.

{snippety-do-dah}

Finally, reinventing a show that has been successful for 8 years, is always tricky and hardly ever works. Trying to do this by introducing 4 new (main) characters all at the same time, is not a good idea at all. It is too much in too short a time. "Our stargate world" had been established and was obviously working for us. For me it was like coming home after a long trip and finding that everything has changed. Nothing seems familiar anymore, the guys you knew or thought you knew are different and have changed, there are new players who suddenly seem to "handle" everything, and you just don't fit in anymore. And on top of all that, everybody is acting as if it's been like that forever, nobody acknowledges the changes and missing players, as if I ended up in an evil AU version of my world. That's how I feel right now.

{snippers, snippers, snippers}

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I will keep watching because it's the only way for me to see Amanda's current/new work, and I just can't get enough of it.
            I guess, Friday's ep will decide a lot for me. The ep sounds to have lots of potential for the show itself and hopefully, for Sam, too. And there are more eps coming up that sound promising, so I will be there, looking REALLY hard for the good stuff!
            LOL! Great post BTW. You stated your opinions pretty eloquently.

Ah... for me... the mess that is Moebius is how we landed in S9. Even though this thread does give the disclaimer 'spoilers for all seasons' I'll stick it behind tags Moebius
            Spoiler:
            the 'original' teams dies and we're left with a team that is "close enough" in Jack's words.... For me that's where the original show ends. It pretty easily explains why everyone's "off" and the "evil AU version" as you said reigns.
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
              I hated this line too. It sounds so unnatural coming from Hammond. How in the heck would he know this phrase of Mitchell's?

I thought they may have had Hammond say this to once again avoid the leadership issue. What he could have said is, congratulations on leading SG-1. You are leading three of the best ... But he didn't say this. He didn't really congratulate him on being the new leader---he congratulated Mitchell on getting the team back together. I'm grasping at straws, aren't I!
              no, actually, *that's* what i really meant to say! that's how it made me feel/think.

this really makes you think, you know. were they 'forced' to make mitchell leader? i mean, why do it and then do it halfa$$ed? i believe the co-leader thing exists because i've seen it. (i've even seen it split up with daniel and teal'c involved in the co-leading too)

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Pulled this out of the closet, seemed appropriate ...

The Men in Sam’s Life

Sam Carter’s history with the opposite sex
                At first seemed odd, much like a hex
                Who dared to think that Sam so sweet
                Would have men dropping at her feet

It’s true, you know,
                Throughout the show
                Just one look from Sam
                And guys were in a sticky jam

Why did this happen to our fair beauty
                Just trying hard to do her duty
                Out to save the universe
                Not coin the phrase “Carter’s curse”

Jonas Hansen was the first, not last,
                A real bad apple from her past
                Even though he caught her spying
                He couldn’t sway her and he died trying

Perhaps Sam felt a remorseful twinge
                She did have a thing for the lunatic fringe
                After all the smoke had cleared
                Two far better men soon appeared

Sam hit it off with Tok’ra Martouf
                But Tollan Narim was more aloof
                Each did love her in their own way
                However, loving Sam could cause dismay

For any kind of love in bloom
                Often led to doom and gloom
                Martouf took the risk and forged ahead
                He sure did; Sam shot him dead

Narim was so infatuated
                He made her voice become automated
                Perhaps Narim loved Sam the most
                We’ll never know; the goa’uld came and he was toast

Amidst the blare of the Gateroom klaxon
                Let’s recall Ambassador Faxon
                Joe played a big part in Sam’s future and past
                But, alas, true married love was not to last

A matter of trust that was broken
                And Aschen secrets left unspoken
                Joe might have been Sam’s best hope
                If she had not reached the end of her rope

What about Agent Barrett and Alex Colson
                Old connections, some emotion …
                Nothing much to light a spark
                Sam would rather study quarks

Then there was cosmic disarray
                The day Sam met Rodney McKay
                Two brilliant minds soon at wits’ end
                Those two scientists could never blend

Along came Orlin to investigate her
                And don’t forget Fifth, the smitten Replicator
                Orlin loved Sam oh so much
                He de-ascended so they could touch

Sam didn’t quite know what to make of this
                Sharing Orlin’s essence without a kiss
                They both ended up in her cramped basement
                Mini-Stargate aglow to Sam’s utter amazement

She followed Orlin through the Gate
                But pledging herself came too little, too late
                Orlin knew what he had to do
                And up into the sky he flew

Sam was left alone after that big “save”
                No Orlin, no toaster, no microwave
                Fifth, of course, took her hostage
                And replaced her old kitchen with a new cottage

Sam wanted no part of domestic living
                And rejected Fifth’s constant giving
                Fifth grew tired of being the martyr
                He let Sam go and made Replicarter

Be very careful of what you choose
                (Some men and machines are destined to lose)
                Even Sam’s Replicarter carried her curse
                So, for Fifth, being “human” went from bad to worse

As Fifth disappeared in a flash of blue light
                Sam was back home on Earth, remembering her plight
                Now she could keep dating her cop
                Even though thoughts of Jack just would not stop

Funny how she and her CO were quite the pair
                In alternate universes, not “here” always “there”
                Maybe Jack was really the man of her heart
                And maybe she and a certain Pete Shanahan would have to part

At last Sam realized that her looks didn’t kill
                Ditched her boyfriend, and by sheer strength of will
                Announced to Jack what she was wishing
                And he promptly took her fishing

Now Jack’s gone, and so is Daddy
                Hammond, too, replaced by Landry
                Sam is left without her trio
                Time to kick some butt and be a hero

The future seasons may bring others
                But she’ll always have her band of brothers
                Danny, Teal’c, and new guy, Cam
                Are the safest bets for Sam!

Comment

If I could just bring this conversation back a few pages to what was being discussed about not having Jack on the show anymore and the subsequent ripple effect... (Since you guys did such a good job arguing how Sam is not a Kirk!)
                  I have to agree with what (Tracy?) was saying about Sam being Jack's fluff. Not that we think that, mind you- this IS a thread about Sam being the best character- but if you think about how all the previous seasons went, and how Sam is being used in S9, it makes sense. What to do with Sam? Duyh. Of course we know what to do with Sam! There's a million possibilities they haven't explored! 999,999 that would be feasible and not make her out-of-charcter. (I'm sure you guys could think up that 1 or 2... or 3 storylines that would just be awful to put her in...)
                  So Ithink TPTB seemed to throw her aside since Jack left. "Oh, the funnyman's gone- their whole relationship out the window. Ah well- so- that Vala chick would be pretty hott full time, huh?" Not that I'm not giving them credit for our Sam up till now, but I do see how they've completely tossed her aside since the start of S9. (Sort of like Elizabeth on ER once Mark died if anyone watched it...)
                  Anway- sorry for the ramble- just thought that little discussion needed to be brought back....

P.S- I am in love with these smilies and I don't care who knows it!!

Comment

I gotta agree with you there. And a quick disclaimer up front, it is not my intention to spread any negativity or anything like that, I just gotta get it out of my system before Friday.

Contrary to how my previous posts might have sounded like, I have very, very mixed feelings about this season and I am not happy at all. I guess, I am just trying to stay positive and trying really, really hard to find good things in each episode.

There are just too many issues for me this season. First of all, RDA left, so a big part of the show is gone. I thought I would be able to handle it better since they reduced his role in the prior seasons, but it just isn't working for me. When I watch old episodes, I realize how much I really miss Jack. It is just not the same without him.

Next I had to "survive" the first 5 episodes without Sam, so that meant two of the main players were missing. I knew she would be back and I tried to get into the new storylines and what not, but alas, it didn't work me. I liked bits here and there, but the whole concept/picture just didn't do it for me.

When Sam came back, I was totally psyched and enjoyed the eps simply because she was there again. But looking back, I really am disappointed with the stories and scenes they came up with for Sam. IMHO, giving Amanda a chance to ease back into filming and adjusting her schedule (which I am grateful for they did, btw) is no excuse for what they did to her character. Even with less screen time, they could have come up with better stories and better use of Sam.

Finally, reinventing a show that has been successful for 8 years, is always tricky and hardly ever works. Trying to do this by introducing 4 new (main) characters all at the same time, is not a good idea at all. It is too much in too short a time. "Our stargate world" had been established and was obviously working for us. For me it was like coming home after a long trip and finding that everything has changed. Nothing seems familiar anymore, the guys you knew or thought you knew are different and have changed, there are new players who suddenly seem to "handle" everything, and you just don't fit in anymore. And on top of all that, everybody is acting as if it's been like that forever, nobody acknowledges the changes and missing players, as if I ended up in an evil AU version of my world. That's how I feel right now.

I also don't like the whole "band" theme. I might have been able to deal with it coming out of Mitchell once in the beginning. But I do not like that every character has to use it now and I especially didn't like it coming out of Hammond's mouth; it just didn't belong there. I liked seeing him with Sam and Daniel, I liked what I saw in their eyes for a few moments (and it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling for a second) but there could have been so much more...
                    I also cringed at the "What's with the backup singer" that was given to Sam. Considering what had happened and how I think Sam must have felt being back, I just can't see Sam saying it. It's just not her, IMHO. I know they are trying to connect the old and the new, but it's just making it worse for me.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. I will keep watching because it's the only way for me to see Amanda's current/new work, and I just can't get enough of it.
                    I guess, Friday's ep will decide a lot for me. The ep sounds to have lots of potential for the show itself and hopefully, for Sam, too. And there are more eps coming up that sound promising, so I will be there, looking REALLY hard for the good stuff!

Good grief! This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm just holding on for something better, and I am compelled to continue to watch because AT is still on the show. I hope, like you, that it gets better for Sam in the episodes coming up, that the writing gets much better, and that we may get to see an actual team working together, all having something IN CHARACTER to do. I really don't know if it's going to happen.

Comment

i don't think its so much a case of "jacks gone, now what do we do with sam". i think its more a case of "hey look, its the cast of farscape! i smell an opportunity to get some new fans!"

i think TPTB may have been expecting that amanda wouldn't be able for as much work with a new baby too, and she wasn't going to be around for a few episodes, so they left her character on the backburner for a while and just neglected to come back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie

joe was in a timeline that never happened. perhaps she had sex with jack, i won't go into my opinions on this here as i'm aware that there are several anti-shippers and no-romos in the group, but should you wish to assume that sam and jack have had sex, then this can hardly be considered kirking, nor can the pete thing.

unless my understanding of kirking is wrong.
                        uh, please share in the shipper thread.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                          It doesn't matter because Jack wins hands down. He is the only one for Sam. He is the only one that can tame that sexiness.
                          luuv the way you put that.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I gotta agree with you there. And a quick disclaimer up front, it is not my intention to spread any negativity or anything like that, I just gotta get it out of my system before Friday.

There are just too many issues for me this season. First of all, RDA left, so a big part of the show is gone. I thought I would be able to handle it better since they reduced his role in the prior seasons, but it just isn't working for me. When I watch old episodes, I realize how much I really miss Jack. It is just not the same without him.

Next I had to "survive" the first 5 episodes without Sam, so that meant two of the main players were missing. I knew she would be back and I tried to get into the new storylines and what not, but alas, it didn't work me. I liked bits here and there, but the whole concept/picture just didn't do it for me.

When Sam came back, I was totally psyched and enjoyed the eps simply because she was there again. But looking back, I really am disappointed with the stories and scenes they came up with for Sam. IMHO, giving Amanda a chance to ease back into filming and adjusting her schedule (which I am grateful for they did, btw) is no excuse for what they did to her character. Even with less screen time, they could have come up with better stories and better use of Sam.

I also don't like the whole "band" theme. I might have been able to deal with it coming out of Mitchell once in the beginning. But I do not like that every character has to use it now and I especially didn't like it coming out of Hammond's mouth; it just didn't belong there. I liked seeing him with Sam and Daniel, I liked what I saw in their eyes for a few moments (and it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling for a second) but there could have been so much more...I also cringed at the "What's with the backup singer" that was given to Sam. Considering what had happened and how I think Sam must have felt being back, I just can't see Sam saying it. It's just not her, IMHO. I know they are trying to connect the old and the new, but it's just making it worse for me.

Best two cents ever spent! Excellent post, Dani.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              I was grasping at the same straws, chocdoc! That phrase was very jarring. I agree with what you say Hammond could have said. I often wonder if we (meaning the more creative members of this thread, not I) can come up with more in-character dialogue, why can't the "professional writers?"
                              because they gave up a long time ago?

i think one of the worst 'out of stargate character' eps i've seen in a long time was
                              Spoiler:
                              the senate committee hearing where vala was allowed to accompany the group in 'the ties that bind'. forgetting how funny (not for me) it was to see the vampy vala flirting with the senator and throwing inappropriate lines at him, what 'should' have happened was vala being tied up and gagged in an adjacent room. and dressed in fatigues, not that callgirl outfit she was wearing. but how funny would that be, eh?

i don't think the writers care anymore to write the characters *or* show in-character anymore.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                                Good grief! This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm just holding on for something better, and I am compelled to continue to watch because AT is still on the show. I hope, like you, that it gets better for Sam in the episodes coming up, that the writing gets much better, and that we may get to see an actual team working together, all having something IN CHARACTER to do. I really don't know if it's going to happen.

I know I'm feeling it too. This season reminds of Christmas as a kid. Waiting for everthing you've asked Santa for (and hoping he remebered). Then going all through the presents, finding you have one, maybe two that he did.

I do hope that with Fridays episode things will change, but one thing bothers me, it's the episode number-13. Maybe luck will change in favour of, not against.

Comment

Working...
                                X