Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    babe+dud=boring factor. amanda+rick and amanda+adrian are babe+stud=yeah baby. (i really AM superficial )

sally
    Aaarrrgghhh!!! Algebra
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      Well I finally got around to watching The Void this weekend. I know, I know, what kind of fan am I? *sigh*

My review: It wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I actually enjoyed most of the scenes with Adrian and Amanda. They were really cute together. Unfortunately the overall plot was uninteresting and really didn't offer any real drama for me even at the end. Probably not something I would watch repeatedly, but it's worth watching if only to see Amanda in something different. I guess this would be one of those instances where the actors just do the best they can with the script they are given and hope the editors and music will improve the finished product.

If he’s not yummy, may I refer to Adrian Paul as scrumptious?

“The Void” is the beginning of my journey from an ‘oh, I’ve heard of that, haven’t I?’ occasional Stargate SG-1 viewer to an Amanda Tapping fan. (Well, that, ancient Egyptian, and the executive conference room in my company’s corporate headquarters. ) It truly is one of those movies where I found myself thinking negative things about the plot (fear not - stalwartly not going there), but, never Amanda's nor Adrian's acting. Amanda’s acting is a joy to watch in it – think AU Dr. Carter who not only never joined the Air Force, she never had contact with the Stargate program, either. In fact, Amanda did such a fine non cliché scientist (none of that old-maid female scientist, de-sexed by hypertrophy of the intellectual organs and unaware that there is such a thing as emotion, or, for that matter, life outside work, which is the image that one is all too often presented as a fait accompli, and/or the ideal to be sought, for female scientists in fiction, and, especially science fiction) with an actual life, history, needs, adult relationship conflicts, angst, and difficulty making them all work together, that I began to make an effort to watch SG-1, then a point of watching it, and, next thing I knew I was a far more than bona fide fan.

Hmm... Maybe I ought to gather up all those pieces of paper scribbled over with bits and pieces of a Sam/Duncan MacLeod crossover/AU fic and try to make something of them... right after I find out if any of my new hieroglyphic fonts have the sign for 'mee' that I want to use as a determinant for śb3... Oh, cool - these fonts are good!

Here we go, entertaining moments in pharonic Egyptian -

The phonetic, more or less hieroglyphically correct version of śb3 / chappa'ai:

Or the less correct, but, more amusing rebus version:

śb3 / chappa'ai means both "star" and "gate" in pharonic Egyptian, and that hollow rectangle is the glyph for "gate" while the last sign in both images, the hollow ring, is "mee" - a "metal ring".
      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra

śb3 / chappa'ai means both "star" and "gate" in pharonic Egyptian, and that hollow rectangle is the glyph for "gate" while the last sign in both images, the hollow ring, is "mee" - a "metal ring".
        Thanks a lot for the info
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          i like adrian paul too. in fact, i really liked amanda's and adrian's chemistry together. *finally*, someone of amanda's gorgeousness factor being paired up with her! rda and adrian are the only two men i've seen that are up to amanda's level of attractiveness. (shallow enough, am i?) but when you have a woman of amanda's beauty, pairing her up with less than hunks just seems... wrong, on some babe+dud=boring factor. amanda+rick and amanda+adrian are babe+stud=yeah baby. (i really AM superficial )

sally
          Right there super-sized superficial, too, Ma'am! Just ask the guy who sits next to me at work, and watches Stargate too, how much whingeing I did that they should have hired Adrian Paul to play Pete Shanahan....

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            The movie was a bomb but Amanda's character and her chemistry with Adrian Paul is well worth viewing! Once again, she did a fine job with a mediocre script and it was so neat to see her in a more emotionally vulnerable position and expressing her feelings. (Sorry, I can't include the path less traveled that she took in S7-8 with you-know-who.) I thought that her intimate scenes with AP were quite well played.

Did everyone notice that her blind neighbor was played by Kirsten Robek who played the doomed Lt. Astor in Divide and Conquer? I thought that was neat too.

i know who you're talking about, but i don't understand (or can't remember) what 'the path less traveled' is supposed to mean in reference to that subject.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Some nice wallpapers here http://www.elspethmac.com/rdaw/ under newest additions
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
                If he’s not yummy, may I refer to Adrian Paul as scrumptious?

Hmm... Maybe I ought to gather up all those pieces of paper scribbled over with bits and pieces of a Sam/Duncan MacLeod crossover/AU fic and try to make something of them... right after I find out if any of my new hieroglyphic fonts have the sign for 'mee' that I want to use as a determinant for śb3... Oh, cool - these fonts are good!

Neat. I had fun just thinking about you having fun figuring this out, Simhavaktra!.

Just sayin', Fun; thanks! (And oh, yes, Adrian Paul as scrumptious works )
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on The Void all. I have every faith in Amanda's abilities, don't get me wrong. I just get frustrated when a character is too close and I keep wanting other characters to show up... lol. I was watching Mind Hunters the other day with Katherine Morris (Cold Case) and Christian Slater, and Katherine Morris looks so much like Carter in the movie, I got annoyed and wanted Amanda there instead.

Meanwhile Amanda is GREAT in "Life Or Something Like It" and the rest of the movie is pretty decent too

Is it wrong when you watch an ep of the X-Files and you want to corpse to get up because she's better than the main characters?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                    I was watching Mind Hunters the other day with Katherine Morris (Cold Case) and Christian Slater, and Katherine Morris looks so much like Carter in the movie, I got annoyed and wanted Amanda there instead.
                    That's very funny. I was actually watching Ladyhawke (for the bazillionth time) with a good friend, and she pointed out that in several of the scenes, the character Isabon (played by a very young Michelle Pfeiffer) looked a lot like "Sam from Stargate". I think it was partly the way she wore her hair in that, but yeah, I guess Amanda could probably have done that role too.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                        And this is a problem because ... ?
                        Some of us aren't feeling too many "happy, positive" feelings about S10 at the moment, whether it's because of the way some of the actors were treated (I notice that Shanks seemed to be telling TPTB not to assume his participation) or because of the shoehorning of A Certain Character into the show or ... but why go on? I'm sure you get my drift.
                        Not incidentally, I see that the Grand Poobah of Smilies has already added a Vala one after a mere seven episodes, an honorific that Doc Fraiser didn't get despite seven fracking seasons on SG-1. Sigh! Some people sure are fickle.
                        It's all gravy. I thought it was OK for us to share our dissent/joy/concerns/expectations about the future seasons (and the rest of this season) as long as we didn't bash actors... Is that no longer the case?

I like seeing so many opinions here. I like reading everyone's perspective, because it's all really quite valid. And I think it's impossible to keep a 100%-positive atmosphere ANYWHERE these days. Maybe when the shows start up again? I dunno... I understand your worries about Vala because it's been kinda evidenced in canon, but I also understand why others are wary of crossing that line of "kindness."

I'm always game as long as actors aren't bashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          Aaarrrgghhh!!! Algebra
                          So... you're telling me I made the right decision the day I scrapped the post about systems of scientific knowledge, how they evolve and change, and how we discuss them with/at various levels of intellectual rigor, because that prospective message contained Σ waveform equations and differential calculus as examples?

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                            Neat. I had fun just thinking about you having fun figuring this out, Simhavaktra!.

Just sayin', Fun; thanks! (And oh, yes, Adrian Paul as scrumptious works )
                            Yes, well, it's that almost-took-a-degree-in-archaeology thing in action again; that and, as I said, cool new hieroglyphic fonts. I just wish that they'd had the most formal version of 'mee': where the ring is decorated in a manner that looks almost like egg-and-dart molding - or chevrons.

I'll run up "Union of the Two Lands" / Samantha(oo) sometime, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              if folks can send me the vids i can make a dvd. i have dvd authoring stuff at work. I have zero talent/patience to make a video myself, but can assemble stuff.

presuming htat works, just let me know and i'll let y'all know formats and the such
                              I hope people do join in! It would be such a nice gift!
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                                It's all gravy. I thought it was OK for us to share our dissent/joy/concerns/expectations about the future seasons (and the rest of this season) as long as we didn't bash actors... Is that no longer the case?
                                Good question, especially after all the ranting over Cameron's qualifications or lack thereof???
                                If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                                proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                                Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Working...
                                X