Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    I've got a few thoughts on the Vala thing here
    Hmm. If thinking outside the box is allowed, Agent_Dark, this would so work. But, alas.

Just sayin', nice proposal. If Only...
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      this is why, even if it seems like she's being demoted or side lined by going to atlantis, i don't quite see it that way.

would i love to see 20 eps of sam in command on sg1? heck yes. do i think i'll get it? no.

cam is the 'boss' and vala is the new star. out with the old and in with the new.

BUT, atlantis is AT's life raft. she did great directing resurrection. and if she's got smaller parts in atlantis or sg1, do you really think she'll jsut go home and work part time?
      no, if i know her the way i think i know her, she'll hang on the set, watching and learning and perhaps unofficially directing. she'll learn a new craft, one that's not dependant on looks but skill

and she's got the skill. resurrection proved that.

I'm sorry -- I don't mean to be offensive, but CB does not have the better looks or look younger than AT, IMO. Therefore, I don't see CB taking AT's place in this category whatsoever. Vala can play "sexy", provide lots of sexual inneundo, and wear more revealing clothes --- that is a big difference between Vala and Sam.

Acting is also dependent on skill (which both CB and AT have alot of). Hopefully they will let both actresses do what they do best next season.

I do hope down the road AT gets to do more directing, but I'm not ready to think that because AT hit the big 40, she has to move on more toward directing at this point.

I'm not expressing myself well here. I guess I'm saying that just because Vala is on the show doesn't mean we can't still have alot of Sam. They are very different characters. And I don't see CB replacing Sam in the looks appeal category!

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek

Zoiks! I love you guys. You KNOW I love you guys, but ... Holy negativity, Batman!

Does anyone around here hold out any hope whatsoever?
        *jumps up and down and waves* I do!! I still love this show so SO much. I'm naturally very optimistic. I like most of the changes so far and I'm willing to see where S10 goes. I'm certainly not someone who condemns something before giving it a chance. I like Vala. I like Mitchell and yes, I like Sam. I believe they can all be on the same show together and it won't turn into Farscape (because aside from a couple of actors and a wormhole, that show was completely different) or Fargate or whatever ridiculous name people are giving it. But I also think I'm one of those people who is easily pleased. I don't watch the show for any one character because I really do like all of them. The main characters anyway. There have been a couple recurring ones I haven't been too keen on but there's not too many. I guess for me...if I see something I don't really like happening to one character, it doesn't ruin the entire episode/season for me because there are still at least 3 or 4 other characters whose stories I'm interested in. For example, I really didn't like some of the Sam stuff from Season 7 and 8 and yet I still enjoy both those seasons.

I suppose I just don't feel the outrage that other people seem to. I admit to being a little miffed at the whole SG-1/Atlantis where is Sam? thing. I'm taking the news that AT's signed as a regular as a good sign and I'm more than willing to wait and see where this goes.

Comment

OK here's the question that I asked Joe and his reply:

Quote:
          Originally Posted by LaCroix
          Joe,

If AT does return and her time is split between SG-1 and SGA, is there a chance that she might direct an episode for SGA?

Thank you.

We have yet to finalize our director's schedule.

I hope I'm right.

Comment

Fly by post! I'm none too pleased to learn that Vala's back for Season 10 as a regular. I really liked CB as Aeryn Sun. The chemistry with BB as John Crichton was hot! Aeryn Sun was a conflicted but spirited and intelligent woman who was an integral part of her "team" on Moya (space ship). Vala, on the other hand, has "comedic sex relief" written all over her and is out of her league with SG-1 for many reasons. A couple of which is her dishonesty and she is not dependable. Season 9
            Spoiler:
            She was noble-appearing when "sacrificing" herself to the Ori to save Prometheus and, ultimately, the galaxy at the end of first half of season 9.
            But I wonder if her character will develop from that point or regress back to those un-endearing qualities that are in abundance?

In spite of my dismay with Vala's return, I don't want to give up on Stargate yet. I'm sticking around for Sam. I hope Colonel Carter will teach Vala a thing or two. Honor. Loyalty. Trust. Respect. Thanks for listening!
            sigpic

Comment

Wow... You guys exploded today, after all of that inactivity. I just had to say that I agree with all of you. And I kinda wanna get in on mini's and strix's bet. As negative as it all is (sadly), it's all logical.

I'd love to see AT direct on a regular basis, but her relationship with TPTB/SMS would have to be pretty good for that to happen. No bad blood. Do you think that's the case anymore? I'd like to say "yes," but I'm not quite sure...

Comment

Zoiks! I love you guys. You KNOW I love you guys, but ... Holy negativity, Batman!

Does anyone around here hold out any hope whatsoever? Or do we all think it's imminent doom from here on in? If so, then with the utmost respect for differing points of view, is this all we're going to be able to do from now on? Wallow and share "woe-is-SG-1" stories? That's not the SaGC thread!

I just can't fathom that. We need to find some good, potentially positive conjecture to chew on. Doesn't mean it has to all be hearts-and-flowers, crit can surely abound, but for the love of (whomever), we can't possibly turn this little thread into the sludge and gloom fest it's become of late, either. Can we??

If we can't come up with anything remotely hopeful to talk about anymore then I'm thinkin' we might need to change the name of this thread to "Sam WAS a Great Character. Sci-Fi channel sucks. We hate Sony (and RCC too). Pass the prozac..."

mini(the depressed)geek
                (((((((mini)))))) Don't play with the prozac please ! As the Royal Pharmassist of Samanda, I proclam that the prozac is off limits.
                Let's play with some optimism. Many of you asked for two strong female characters on the show. One of the positive points of Vala being a regular character is that she'll have to interract with all of the cast and not only Daniel. What I see in that is that we're finally given the possibility of friendship between Sam and Vala. I for once would like to get one based on their previous experiences as hosts for a Tok'ra and a Goa'uld. They have this in common. Why not use it as a base to build a strong friendship ?
                Also, being regular, Vala will be toned down. I don't watch Atlantis,well, I don't watch it intently (you can update your list Ann ) but as far as I know they change McKay's character because he was going to be a regular character in the cast. I can see this happening with Vala.
                And last, I wasn't around by this time, but I heard that many fans feared doom for the show with season 6. What did happen ? Stargate survived. I won't judge anything before I see it. Of course season 9 is not what I expected for my favourite show. Call me optimist, but everyone is entitled to mistakes. They were lots of changes this year, everybody had to deal with them. It takes time to get accustomed to changes. The bigger they are, the more difficult it is. I'm willing to give the show his chance. Let's wait and see. Our expectations are not very high. Good, we can only be pleasantly surprised.
                By the way, I liked AD's idea on Vala's role. Who said she was going to be on the team ?
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I say she will too. I'm also going to reserve judgement on the situation until I actually see some of the eps.

Politics aside, I think there's great potential for an interesting dynamic between Vala, Carter & the rest of the team. But I do think they're going to have to give us the dark side of Vala to pull it off. And frankly given the character's backstory, I hope it's pretty dark.

Through that I'm hoping we see the strength in Carter reflected, the soldier and the woman. I'm also hoping to see a little more darkness from Carter (judging by the ep descriptions from Joe dark is a theme at the moment - which is great!).

So.. I see possibilities in it... but then I also view it as a different show. To me SG1 (the real SG1) ended at the end of Season 8. Next installment of my SG1 will be Alliance the game when it comes out. In the meantime I'll enjoy seeing what Carter is doing in SG1 v2.0.

Definitely. If there's a season eleven, Amanda Tapping will be offered another contract to be in it as Sam Carter.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah Mini if you're going to self-medicate with anything, go with Zoloft!
                    Lol

Kidding... Drugs are bad mmmkay?

Hi I just popped into say hi to everybody and I haven't forgotton y'all. I havea biiiigg exam coming up next week (which basically determines whether or not I can go on with my degree next year, and we do the fun stuff next year! The stuff where you get to stick people with needles!). So I've been busy.

So of course this is exactly the time all the contorversy gets bad. Bah! TPTB should be more considerate of my schedule and only cause controversy when I have time to discuss it online! LOL

Anyways, big hugs to all Samandans and keep the faith guys! Hopefully our darling Ms. Tapping will find away to perservere! As long as hse is happy I am happy .

P.S are these just rumours about AT directing or is there a real possibility? JM's answer seemed it's usual non-commital non-answerish (gotta love that bloke. He says so little in SO many words )

Comment

Oh and I just wanted to add....

If AT moves to Atlantis, Brad Wright will be doing most of the writing for her...
                      he's always seemed to have a better handle on the female characters

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        The samhaters are a very small, but very vocal, minority. They spend their time saying the same thing over and over. Most fans seem very supportive of sam, and then another set of Sam loving fans of course are crazy about her . Look at the strong response after the news from GABIT. Sam has alot of supporters and of course she will always have them as long as she exists.

I feel alot like you do. I keep asking myself, do I really like the show--I want to like the show! I ended up liking the last two episodes before break--and I like some of the spoilers for the second half--so there you go. Let's see waht they have done for the second half.

I am hopelessly addicted to the Sam character, so I'll continue to watch, and I really hope for a well written Carter (I can hope, can't I), next season.

I had to drop by because I'm worried about that 'keep Sam off Atlantis' thread, or whatever it's called. Not because people are expressing an opinion, but because Amanda's an amazing person, and I hate that people are saying things that could upset her!
                        I love Sam! I think she's a great character. I'll be watching SG1 while she's on it, and if she's on Atlantis (which, forgive me SG1 people, is my show of the moment! It's been so long since we had SG1 on TV in Australia!) I'll watch her there.
                        I just hope that whatever happens, the amazing Amanda Tapping comes out on top. After all the work she's put into that show over the years, she deserves to.

Comment

I'm not expressing myself well here. I guess I'm saying that just because Vala is on the show doesn't mean we can't still have alot of Sam. They are very different characters. And I don't see CB replacing Sam in the looks appeal category!

IMO, Amanda, from the pics I've seen, looks better than ever after having her baby! She looks great. She looks younger, somehow. I don't know what it is exactly, but she's never looked her age anyway...
                          She's a very young 40!

Comment

Myrth - Happy Birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                              I had to drop by because I'm worried about that 'keep Sam off Atlantis' thread, or whatever it's called. Not because people are expressing an opinion, but because Amanda's an amazing person, and I hate that people are saying things that could upset her!
                              I love Sam! I think she's a great character. I'll be watching SG1 while she's on it, and if she's on Atlantis (which, forgive me SG1 people, is my show of the moment! It's been so long since we had SG1 on TV in Australia!) I'll watch her there.
                              I just hope that whatever happens, the amazing Amanda Tapping comes out on top. After all the work she's put into that show over the years, she deserves to.

I know what you mean, but I noticed that most posters preface what they say by saying that they like Sam and AT. And I can see why some Atlantis fans worry about having Sam over on Atlantis too much. It would take away from the other characters if she were over there alot. I'm hoping for Sam there occasionally--that could really work, but over there say for 10 episodes seems like too much. I would like it, but I understand why other fans wouldn't. Sam is a strong established character relative to the Atlantis characters. Right now for me Weir and Telya are extremely underdeveloped characters. Now it could be really good to see Sam interact with them, but again I think just on occasion.

I guess will find out sooner or later how this will play out.

Comment

I know what you mean, but I noticed that most posters preface what they say by saying that they like Sam and AT. And I can see why some Atlantis fans worry about having Sam over on Atlantis too much. It would take away from the other characters if she were over there alot. I'm hoping for Sam there occasionally--that could really work, but over there say for 10 episodes seems like too much. I would like it, but I understand why other fans wouldn't. Sam is a strong established character relative to the Atlantis characters. Right now for me Weir and Telya are extremely underdeveloped characters. Now it could be really good to see Sam interact with them, but again I think just on occasion.

I guess will find out sooner or later how this will play out.
                                I agree with you completely. The Atlantis characters need time to develop. I just worry that even if people are saying they like Sam and Amanda, it must be tough for her to know that this sort of discussion is going on about her...

Comment

Working...
                                X