Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Nah. Back then, I still (feebly) held onto hope because nothing had been officially confirmed by The Powers, and we'd basically been left to our own assumptions. There was still hope for changes after the fan outcry nearly a month ago.

But now that RL has pretty much confirmed it, there's no going back now. This is truly what we have to look forward to over the next several months.
    I was referring to developments prior to any information that Sam would be split between series.

Joe: "Or, quite frankly, it could be individuals overreacting."
    Why does he bother? He answers trivial questions and then gets pissy when a legitimate concern is raised.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
      i know you're referring to the replacement disk for 'threads', but i don't understand what you've just said.

sally
      Ages ago, mini shared that there was a master cut of each episode that she was aware of ... and that TPTB dropped the ball when they created the boxed set and reproduced the wrong copy of Threads. Again, quality control on the floor ... didn't they review the final edition of a major episode and double-check to make sure the consumers/fans were getting the right version? It seems not ... so someone's head may roll!

I think, though, it's just one more example of a certain laissez-faire attitude (corporate mindset) that has been creeping into TPTB toward its consumer/fanbase. Good customer service would have re-instated Sam as leader and assured of decent plot devices for her character! MHO ... is all.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        Originally Posted by binkpmmc
        You may not snark but I will - and it's done. See if you like it as I combined one of his other "answers" (which I really only refer to as posts since they are not answers), with the question.

Heh heh. The tone is so argumentative, I'd be surprised if he responded. But that doesn't take away from the appeal. Nope, not one bit...
        Hmm.

Note to self - avoid 'conversation' with JM: am obviously incompetent to produce suitably sugarcoated tones of vaguely (barely perceptibly) inquiry-tinged, fervently worshipful adulation on a consistent basis.

...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          At this point in time, I truly feel for all the woman on Stargate: Rachel, Tori, Amanda and Claudia. I really feel as if the TPTB ( be it Bridge, Scifi or Sony I don't have a clue ), consider their female actresses to be inferior, less capable, to their male counterparts otherwise why would they be making such poor choices in terms of storylines over the past two years? Which is really sad, because I think they are just as talented as the male actors on the show if given the opportunity. I hear many fans shouting that Amanda is an average actress, and that she isn't really in MS, BB or CB's league. However, over the past nine years Amanda has been nominated for eleven different awards, including one for directing. This is more than any other actor on Stargate. So if Amanda is such a bad actress then why is it that she is so regularly recognized for the work she does? I don't think Scifi/Sony really understand this... nor do I believe they see this type of potential from Claudia this year. What they see are ratings and hype. They see reporters clamoring around CB and BB this year and they want that hype to continue so they will do whatever they feel is necessary to keep the spotlight on the show for at least another year.

I may not appreciate the character of Vala, but I don't believe it's in any way Claudia's fault; and if she is to join the cast of SG-1 next year on a more permanent basis then sadly she is stepping into the exact same situation as Amanda.

She will be doing everything she can to make her character fit in while she tries to deal with the fact that no matter what she does as an actress that a great many fans will automatically take a disliking to her simply because they feel someone they care about deeply is getting a raw deal. So I totally feel for Amanda and Claudia as well as the actresses on Atlantis and their fans. It's very hard not to put the blame on the actor instead of where it truly belongs. I really hope that regardless of what happens next season that Sam's fans and Atlantis fans do not cross the line that many of Vala's fans have done this year by attacking the actress and not the character, because noone deserves that kind of hatred.

I agree with what many people are saying, this may in fact be a really positive career move for Amanda. It would allow her to stay with the Stargate franchise. It would allow her to still spend a great deal of time with Olivia. She would be associated with both shows and it would hopefully still give her time to work on other projects if she so chooses. I see all this and I'm truly happy for Amanda if this is what she really wants to do; however, I'm still having a very difficult time seeing this as a positive change for Sam.

Will I watch Atlantis if Sam is on it? Most definitely. I'm hoping it will be a positive career move for Sam; more so than her obvious career move to Area 51 seemed to be. I mean when she came back from Area 51 she was demoted from leader of SG-1 down to 2IC again. I'm just hoping that she isn't demoted to scientist #3 on Caldwell's ship in season 10. I wish I could say I don't believe the writers would do such a thing to Sam, but at this point in time, I really do not hold much faith in their ability to show Sam in a positive light anymore.

Kat

Hey Kat - nice post

As you all know I dislike Vala very much, but think Claudia could be an excellent addition to the cast - possibly in favour of BB. 2 gutsy females and 2 brave and dedicate males in SG1 What a great team!!! It is Vala which is the problem for me. I'm saddened by people not intelligent enough to separate the 2???!!! Beats me!!!!

I get the impression from a couple of interviews with CB - which I have skimmed - that she is not so impressed with the Vala character - to the extent that she could be stomached long term. What was also notable to me in the latest interview I read she made no reference to the cast she worked with, only made reference to the characters - she praised the costume designer and no mention of Rob Coop at all. I don't think she expected to make a return after her first 5 stints.

Now I don't think at all that the decisions and direction the show is taking is based on how TPTB percieve the ability of the female actors. Amanda has proved her point over the last 6 years. Sadly I believe it has more to do with the film industry still being a boys club - and Amanda hinted at this at GABIT. I suspect the men in power like to cling on the their male dominated environment - in a number of respects - so hence they chose weakened roles for the women. Men play the hero's - we can't have women admiring females can we, can't let women believe they can actually be true equals. Got to be the male who is the Hero and gets all the female worship. So lets have the females play the lesser roles and male fantasy roles - it is just an insult.

We all know Sam should be in the lead role and in the lead in SG1 I really believe it is a question of the boys club - and again we know when this influence started creeping in. I mean how long has it been since they have had a female write a story? How many females play a significant role in the show compared to men? How many of the female roles need also to be eye candy? This is the world men want to be in not a situation where Sam Carter is the person who leads our heroic team.

Or am I way off base?

Comment

Right I'm off to watch an early season ep.

You know I have only watched 1 to 4 of season 9 I have 5 more to watch and can't bring myself to - even though I know Sam will be back it is a far cry when I just couldn't wait to see the next ep. It was like watching a different show - and I felt like I was in an alternate reality. I just didn't seem quite there with them!!!

quick note to Uber - I sent you an email - have you got it or did I use an old account??!!!

Thanks to all you posters who keep persevering with Joe. I think you hit a nerve Bink with him possibly a little close to the truth methinks!!! Well done! You certainly made a number of great points - which he didn't deny!!

Comment

Oh I'm not too sure about a good career move for AT. Depends on her exposure. If she isn't a lead in either show I think she will be detrimented. I'm more wary of her taking a lead role in Atlantis - I don't think they can create enough air time on Atlantis to give her a significant role without reducing the current cast's air time. Why rock the boat. She is loved as Sam Carter in SG1. From what MS has said Sony is determined that a core of 4 actors will not dominate the show - so it bodes bad for all of them I think. MS may actually not be all that enamoured with playing Vala's stooge. He may have prefered the writers to increase his storyline with other actors - Teal'c/ Sam or Mitch for instance.

My own opinion is still that Amanda is so much more than SG1 and it may be better for her to seek other roles before the casting peeps begin to think that Sam Carter is all Amanda herself thinks she can be. I will be sad I will have lost my fave Sci Fi character - however I firmly feel I have lost that already

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                Oh I'm not too sure about a good career move for AT. Depends on her exposure. If she isn't a lead in either show I think she will be detrimented. I'm more wary of her taking a lead role in Atlantis - I don't think they can create enough air time on Atlantis to give her a significant role without reducing the current cast's air time. Why rock the boat. She is loved as Sam Carter in SG1. From what MS has said Sony is determined that a core of 4 actors will not dominate the show - so it bodes bad for all of them I think. MS may actually not be all that enamoured with playing Vala's stooge. He may have prefered the writers to increase his storyline with other actors - Teal'c/ Sam or Mitch for instance.

My own opinion is still that Amanda is so much more than SG1 and it may be better for her to seek other roles before the casting peeps begin to think that Sam Carter is all Amanda herself thinks she can be. I will be sad I will have lost my fave Sci Fi character - however I firmly feel I have lost that already
                Of course you're feeling negative ... the devil is whispering in your ear, woman! This was your 666th post! Move on quickly!

Comment

Oh I'm not too sure about a good career move for AT. Depends on her exposure. If she isn't a lead in either show I think she will be detrimented. I'm more wary of her taking a lead role in Atlantis - I don't think they can create enough air time on Atlantis to give her a significant role without reducing the current cast's air time. Why rock the boat....
                  I guess it depends on what Amanda wants out of her career. She may well be content at the moment to do another year, even if it is split between the two so that she can spend more time with Olivia. Also, the news coming as it did at the last moment, maybe she figures that it will give her more time to check out her options and look for something else that will let her have the same kind of "perks" she now has as far as Olivia goes.

Now, if Whistler pans out, and she can do it while still doing SG-1/SGA, it would broaden her opportunities, while still allowing her the security of a sure thing. Then maybe by the end of next season she can cut SG-1 loose.

Just trying to be positive here.
                  sigpic

Comment

Right I'm off to watch an early season ep.

You know I have only watched 1 to 4 of season 9 I have 5 more to watch and can't bring myself to - even though I know Sam will be back it is a far cry when I just couldn't wait to see the next ep. It was like watching a different show - and I felt like I was in an alternate reality. I just didn't seem quite there with them!!!

quick note to Uber - I sent you an email - have you got it or did I use an old account??!!!

Thanks to all you posters who keep persevering with Joe. I think you hit a nerve Bink with him possibly a little close to the truth methinks!!! Well done! You certainly made a number of great points - which he didn't deny!!
                    I replied to your message...check your inbox!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hey Ooober (I love this - thanks to whomever started this):

Can I join the Perpetually Missing RDA/Jack O'Neill Forever Club? Don't forget to visit us over at the Thunk Thread!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                        Why does he bother? He answers trivial questions and then gets pissy when a legitimate concern is raised.

Why does he bother? That's a really good question. Given all the crap he has to put up with and all the griping and harping and criticism... I know I would have thrown in the towel long ago. He is never going to be able to please everyone, and I'm sure there are a lot of things he simply is not allowed to tell people. If you're in a business for profit, it's not good to give away all your secrets.

I understand why people get riled up about Joe's answers, but if I were in his place, I'd probably do exactly the same thing. People analysing to death every word he writes. The same questions being asked again and again and again (that for whatever reasons he probably can't really answer). It's no wonder he gets testy and likes to toy with folks.

Not that I'm saying I agree with his approach (and I'm not trying to rip people who rip him), I'm just saying that, to me, his attitude is understandable, and I personally don't hold it against him.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                          Hey Ooober (I love this - thanks to whomever started this):

Can I join the Perpetually Missing RDA/Jack O'Neill Forever Club? Don't forget to visit us over at the Thunk Thread!
                          LOL...

Ooober works just fine...even without UMLAUTS!!!

And anyone can join the club...mainly because I made it up about 3 days ago. My little version of SG-ME.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I just read a con report about the San Jose Con. There are some interesting tidbits in there about Amanda, for example that when she came back she "only" worked 4 days a week (and later on Michael is talking about a six-day work week for himself). So that would clear some of our questions.
                            There is also some information about the ongoing contract negotiations.

I wanted to copy some of the more interesting parts for you, but I couldn't reach Michelle, and I did not want to do it without her permission.

You can find the report here: http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/fe...eation05.shtml

It also has some info on Don S. Davis' appearance. The whole report is really worth reading.

Dani
                            Last edited by Dani76; 18 November 2005, 12:37 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal

It feels like overkill to me when I have to listen to Daniel's rapidspeak explaining the many twists and turns of the new Ori threat ... I can't even keep up with it. To me, the Wraith are much more attention getting and threatening - something primal and scary upfront.... The Ori are pasty-faced proselytizers who fail to stir any interest.
                              LOL! Great (on target) description. Couldn't green you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
                                I just read a con report about the San Jose Con. There are some interesting tidbits in there about Amanda, for example that when she came back she "only" worked 4 days a week (and later on Michael is talking about a six-day work week for himself). So that would clear some of our questions.
                                There is also some information about the ongoing contract negotiations.

I wanted to copy some of the more interesting parts for you, but I couldn't reach Michelle, and I did not want to do it without her permission.

You can find the report here: http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/fe...eation05.shtml

It also has some info on Don S. Davis' appearance. The whole report is really worth reading.

Dani
                                Thanks for posting this link. As you say, it is worth reading.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X