Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

    Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

    I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

    Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

    Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

    John


    As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

    I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

    I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

    That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.

    Thanks for letting us know, sg-1fanintn. She will be remembered, and my thoughts and prayers go out to her husband and the rest of her family.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Coley
      Chocdoc, this is a great post back and left me questioning myself - always a good thing!!

      So a little post questioning musing in red!!


      So well put

      Thanks for these thoughts Chocdoc. None of us know what is really happening. But I remain astounded that after 8 years on a sucessful show playing one of the main lead characters, learning and delivering the vital aspects of science technobabble to perfection and working the cons, being the first and last on set, that she is happy with the turn of events - in the main how RCooper has chosen to deal with her. That is my main miff. The total disregard she has been shown. Given this disregard and RC's sickening oozing over CB (who has contributed to a mere 6 shows) I just would have though Amanda would think - Time to jump ship!!!

      Even if TPTB believe that the show has got to change direction to survive and that in order to do that Sam must make way for Vala - there's no reason why is can't be done honestly and respectfully. Not by Amanda finding out that CB and the other main cast have got their contract and she hasn't and having to go and ask RC what is happening. That is not the way it should be done. To my mind they just don't deserve to have Amanda on the show after that. But she will sign and they will get away with their appalling behaviour.

      Thanks, Coley, for such a thoughtful reply. I am certainly not happy with what happened. I'm just saying that it is difficult for me to say what I think Amanda should do because I don't know everything and I am not in her shoes. It could be that she received some reassuring words after GABIT, and felt better about the situation. Obviously someone called her and she felt compelled (or maybe strongly encouraged) to make this statement. We just don't know what was said.

      Yes, the skeptical side of me worries that she is just being played. She'll sign and of course then she'll have to do what she is given. I'm just saying I wouldn't blame her for returning because of the history she has had with the show. If she does get sidelined, then yes they will get away with their appalling behavior. On the other hand, if she doesn't return, then what happens to Sam Carter, the character she has worked so hard for? (Note too that I don't see Sam in seasons 7 and 8 in quite the same light as you do---I liked alot of Sam in these seasons and didn't mind her struggling with her personal life, but it was too imbalanaced for me--that was the problem for me--a problem that can be easily remedied). If she does sign, then maybe she can still have a bit of influence in regard to the character.

      In regard to Vala being more fun---yes, certainly that would make her more appealing for some. But just because Vala is more fun doesn't mean there isn't room for, dare I say it, TWO female characters on the show. There are FOUR main male leads, for goodness sake. Why in the world does there have to be competition for simply having TWO female leads! That is where the gender bias is coming to play. It is ridiculous that there is even this competition in the first place---whereas the male leads go merrily along. that is what upsets me. And this hurts CB too, because many fans will resent her character if AT is sidelined. The actresses have to pay---the actors don't even have to deal with it.

      Comment


        Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Atteria
        <>
        Your life touched our lives
        And we were richer for it
        Kind soul, rest in peace

        ChopinGal, a wonderful tribute. Thanks so much for saying what I feel.

        Just sayin'.
        MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
        sigpic
        Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking



        Comment


          i have mixed feelings about vala. yes, she is fun. i'll freely admit that. seh has to be fun to write and a laugh riot to have around.

          and if she was on antoher show, i'd probably enjoy her more. it's not that she's funny, it's taht her kind of humor has never had a place on the show and so rankles a bit. she sticks out like a sore thumb, especially when you take her attitude and lines with her costuming.

          while the show has never taken itself seriously, it has also never descended to needing constant doses of slapstick to survive. Vala as a character is like a symbol of just how things are changing.

          stargate used to be a respectful show. one that the air force was proud to have its name associated with. it was smart and funny and, well real. these characters were believable adn realistic (as much as aliens can be that is)

          but now it's lost that. it's becoming farcical. it's changed from a show that promoted Janet so that they could maintain proper military protocol with her calling Sam by her first name to a show that has co-leaders and characters who wear non-regulation tank tops on duty. they're changing from a show that the air force could be proud of to a show like JAG....which the navy cringed over time and time again.

          not only are they sacrificing the characters for the cheap laugh and trite joke, they're sacrificing the integrity of the show to keep it funny and turning it more into a space opera than it ever was.

          personally, i don't see why vala and sam can't co-exist....but then again, sam is harder to write. sam is smart, her character requires research and in depth analysis....vala's easy. just watch national lampoon and you'll get all the jokes you need.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?


          sigpic

          Comment


            Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            Not to take away from the in depth discussion we're all having.... but:

            Disco Sam!
            Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa, and once again I am assaulted first thing on a Sunday morning.

            My LJ

            Comment


              Originally posted by Lys
              I read some great posts from you dear Samandans, but there's something that hasn't been brought in my opinion as a reason why people, and women are happier with Vala than Sam.

              I asked one of my friends who happens to like Vala and dispises overt sexualization why she liked Vala. Her answer was: she's fun and I'm putting too much thoughts on the matter.

              Well, it made me think more and more. And I came to this conclusion. People like Vala because she's portrayed as a fun woman in opposite to Sam who's portrayed as the smart one.

              Smart is boring. It's even worse then you're smarter than the average.
              Why ? Because people are jealous, because they can't reach your level, because being different is a defect.

              I don't think all women who like Vala are appealed by the cleavage. I think they live with it but they're drawn to her because she's of their level. I'm not saying that Vala isn't smart. I'm saying that when you're asked to define her with only one word, many say first: funny. It's a fact, people identify easily with fun persons.

              How many of you had this experience back in school when the most popular one in the class was the fun one, the rebel one and not the smart of the class ? I had it. And being in the position of the smart one is not something I'd wish to anyone. You're the scape goat, you're befriended only because you can be of good use.

              In my opinion, Vala is the rebel and fun child of the Stargate universe, while Sam is the smart one. It has nothing or little to do with sexualization. If it had to do so much with it, Vala would have the same fate as Anise who was a sexualized and very smart character, she wouldn't last long.
              I can't give you green, Lys, but this is very insightful, and I think you have a great point.

              How many folks on this list were the smart ones (as opposed to the popular ones) in school? I know I was always called a brain (not in a flattering kind of way)... Maybe that is part of the reason I identify with Sam so much. And why I get such a kick out of that story, The Blue Jello Metaphor.

              My LJ

              Comment


                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Atteria

                Our dear Royal Chef
                We did not know you for long
                Your stay with us, brief

                You burst on the scene
                Ready to play as Baker
                “Cake, we must have cake”

                And so you added
                To the summer merriment
                Brightening our mood

                Your “bunny slippers”
                And housebound isolation
                Should have been the clue

                All was not so well
                You kept your pain a secret
                Instead you chose joy

                Good days on the thread
                Brought some small comfort your way
                Laughter eased the hurt

                We teased of laptops
                And royal galas and stoves
                You were a good sport

                You wanted to share
                And were so glad to feed us
                With words and spirit

                Besides talk of food
                You helped research the Latin
                For the thread’s motto

                All too soon you left
                “Surgery pending” you said
                Still, there’s always hope

                Several months passed
                We waited for your return
                Hopes turned to despair

                We tried to find you
                Searching beyond Samanda
                But to no avail

                Finally, contact
                Your grieving husband tells us
                Of your last brave days

                Your life touched our lives
                And we were richer for it
                Kind soul, rest in peace

                http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...RoyalCakes.jpg
                Atteria's Cakes


                So very well said, CG. Atteria did take the list by storm, and she made a powerful impression on many of us. Her absence was, and is, felt deeply.

                Thanks for letting us know.

                My LJ

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                  Not to take away from the in depth discussion we're all having.... but:

                  Disco Sam!
                  Yikes!!! That is so disturbing, yet strangely hypnotic...

                  Comment


                    Also, I wanted to apologize to anyone I may have offended with my posts on Joe's blog. I get really riled up reading some of the cr*p that gets posted there, and I just start spewing in response. I've promised myself a week-long time-out... Anyway, sorry.

                    My LJ

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Coley
                      Snip, SNip I was dispointed in Grace when Jacob made a big play about her not being happy - because she is not in a relationship. That really annoyed me - You can't be really happy or fulfilled if you are not in a romantic relationship? Mmm well I can tell you I now for a fact I'm happier and more fulfilled that a number of married women I know. It just depends on the person. I always saw Sam as someone who loved her life, loved her friends and would find love when the time was right - either with O'Neill or someone esle.

                      Sam season 1 to 6 - I loved her - with the added lightness of humour recently - she's just about got everything as far as I'm concerned!!
                      Please everyone don't hate me for saying this but for me Grace (as much as I think AT did a great job and as much as she deserved the award for it) was the turning point that I can site right back to for me when things turned south for Carter. It was the whole I'm in love with Jack but cannot have him (none of this will surprise many of you as I have said it before in the show threads and elsewhere -- I have never been a shipper and never cared for overt ship - no offense to the shippers as I have nothing against people using their own perspectives to enjoy a show as there are a million ways to Sunday to perceive things sometimes, but what I did not care for, and what really started me disliking how they were treating Carter was when they made the ship too overt and when they brought in p and made him so stupid and immature and when they turned Carter into a naive high school girl that accepted his treatment right from the get go) and the whole Jacob you aren't happy stuff - it did not play well with me based on what I had seen from Carter for so many years. It took this strong, intelligent, loyal woman down to a point that is sooo stereotypical it disgusts me and then they played it from there and we got crap like Chimera and Affinity that just reinforced it for me.

                      From what I have heard about the scenes with p in Threads I would also add Threads to this list however I did not watch it because, based on what I heard and saw leading up to it, I knew there would be overt ship (which I do not care to watch) and that they would not do the right thing by Carter with the way she dumped pete - and they didn't, at least not in my opinion. She should have referenced back to his childish immaturity and his following her and his doing the background search on her - all of that was absolutely the worst writing in the history of Stargate IMO and really solidified the bad turn for Carter, again IMO, instead they once again make her look bad with how she dumps him - very, very bad writing and very damaging to the character when taken in context with everything else they have done to the character leading up to this point, IMO.

                      IMO, TPTB wrote themselves into a corner with the J/S stuff and when they tried to get out of it they spiraled out of control to the continued detriment of Carter . For some reason Jack got off pretty unscathed and most of the venom was left for Carter and this is also unfair to the character and to AT who only does what she can with what she is given and even when she complains that louse cooper goes ahead anyway and continues to make Carter look bad - a/la the end of Affinity - another classic bit of very bad writing for Carter and very bad directing - that scene never should have happend just like the scene with Jacob saying you aren't happy and the scenes with that creep p acting like an immature 12 year old and Carter accepting his tretament and subsequent background checks and following - what a crock o' crap as I like to say.

                      Not to mention the fact that, IMO, these guys absolutely suc$ at writing romance and truly personal stuff - they write good friendship between the 4 main characters (and I am not including Mitchell because right now they suc$ at writing those 4 as a team) I am talking Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel - that's what they knew and that's what they could write for - now its just 4 people who seem to know each other and work together but that's about it. They also cannot seem to get their heads out of their a$$es when it comes to Carter and they are not doing much to rehabilitate the character to the pre- season 7 Carter.

                      The reason they may diminsh Carter in S10 is not only to make room for the cheap, crass sexual innuendo nonesense of vala (I wish she would just crawl back under the rock they found her) but, IMO, it is even more because Carter is much smarter then Mitchell, she is a better, much more competent leader, and a better teammate, IMO. Carter has more experience, Carter was the sole leader and deserves to continue to be the leader and while she is around many, many fans, not just Carter fans, will not accept Mitchell as leader or co-leader - it is illogical and ridiculous to think that a guy like Mitchell would get co-lead or lead over someone of Carter's caliber.

                      TPTB insult the fans when they think the fans will just accept certain things - we are not stupid and we do think for ourselves and taking sole command of SG-1 away from Carter (and yes as much as Mallozzi insists command was not taken away it was) when she earned it and deserved it and should have kept it TPTB thought we would just accept the shiny new guy because they told us to and they told us how great he is blah, blah, blah is a little naive on their part.

                      They took sole command away as a concious decision. Everyone, I mean everyone, knew Carter would be back because everyone knew AT would be back - they did not have to give lead or co-lead to Mitchell they could have made it temporary or not at all because the way they chose to write the first 5 eps clearly indicates that at that time SG1 did not need to have a leader since there was no SG1 UNTIL CARTER RETURNED ANYWAY. The whole thing with Mitchell's background (joining SG1 under Carter, wanting to learn from the best, having no experience off world or with aliens, etc., etc.) and how it was handled up to Carter's return is another very bad piece of writing that it is clear to me no one is really looking at for common sense, continuity or logic - they have contradicted themselves all over the place with trying to put a square peg (Mitchell- the male lead) into a round hole (co-leader of SG1 - because God forbid they have a female lead).

                      Plain and simple, Carter makes Mitchell look incompetent and silly and they have to have their precious male lead so they have to get rid of Carter even if it is only getting rid of her part time so that they can then claim that Mitchell is the leader cuz Carter is not available all the time with her travels to Atlantis so he becomes defacto leader (which means he will in fact be the leader but he will still not be recognized as deserving such by many of the fans - TPTB just remove the impediment that makes him look incompetent and slightly immature and they think this will make it all better - they are really losing it if you ask me because this will just make me, as well as others I suspect, resent and dislike Mitchell and vala even more).

                      Sorry for the length - I just got started and for some reason today I am in a particularly snarky mood about this whole debacle. I hope that TPTB get their heads out of their a$$es soon otherwise I'm totally done with this crap. I only watch once in awhile now so it won't be a big stretch to stop altogether at this point. I really wish I had a Nielsen box and I really wish AT would just take the other lead role and tell these guys where to get off but that's her decision as much as I would love to see her tell them where to go.

                      Even if she does do Stargate I hope she works it out to do that other show as well and that that show take soff and she gets a full time lead over htere and can gett he he!! away from Stargate as it crashes and burns - anyone hear anything about that other show and whether they worked it out so she could do both if she wants?
                      Last edited by binkpmmc; 13 November 2005, 10:09 AM.

                      Comment


                        Rest in Peace, Atteria.

                        My thoughts and prayers are with those left behind.

                        Thanks for sharing the news sg-1fanintn, CG and Coley.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Coley
                          Im right with you 100% on this Uber.

                          I'm afraid that Rob Cooper is too busy brown nosing the suits to see the light - any light at all!!!

                          Cutting, Moi?!!
                          My thoughts exactly - cooper strikes me as the kind of guy that will never stand up for the integrity of the show, it's characters or the actors and will do whatever the suits tell him to do regardless.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by binkpmmc
                            Please everyone don't hate me for saying this but for me Grace (as much as I think AT did a great job and as much as she deserved the award for it) was the turning point that I can site right back to for me when things turned south for Carter. It was the whole I'm in love with Jack but cannot have him (none of this will surprise many of you as I have said it before in the show threads and elsewhere -- I have never been a shipper and never cared for overt ship - no offense to the shippers as I have nothing against people using their own perspectives to enjoy a show as there are a million ways to Sunday to perceive things sometimes, but what I did not care for, and what really started me disliking how they were treating Carter was when they made the ship too overt and when they brought in p and made him so stupid and immature and when they turned Carter into a naive high school girl that accepted his treatment right from the get go) and the whole Jacob you aren't happy stuff - it did not play well with me based on what I had seen from Carter for so many years. It took this strong, intelligent, loyal woman down to a point that is sooo stereotypical it disgusts me and then they played it from there and we got crap like Chimera and Affinity that just reinforced it for me.

                            From what I have heard about the scenes with p in Threads I would also add Threads to this list however I did not watch it because, based on what I heard and saw leading up to it, I knew there would be overt ship (which I do not care to watch) and that they would not do the right thing by Carter with the way she dumped pete - and they didn't, at least not in my opinion. She should have referenced back to his childish immaturity and his following her and his doing the background search on her - all of that was absolutely the worst writing in the history of Stargate IMO and really solidified the bad turn for Carter, again IMO, instead they once again make her look bad with how she dumps him - very, very bad writing and very damaging to the character when taken in context with everything else they have done to the character leading up to this point, IMO.

                            IMO, TPTB wrote themselves into a corner with the J/S stuff and when they tried to get out of it they spiraled out of control to the continued detriment of Carter . For some reason Jack got off pretty unscathed and most of the venom was left for Carter and this is also unfair to the character and to AT who only does what she can with what she is given and even when she complains that louse cooper goes ahead anyway and continues to make Carter look bad - a/la the end of Affinity - another classic bit of very bad writing for Carter and very bad directing - that scene never should have happend just like the scene with Jacob saying you aren't happy and the scenes with that creep p acting like an immature 12 year old and Carter accepting his tretament and subsequent background checks and following - what a crock o' crap as I like to say.

                            Not to mention the fact that, IMO, these guys absolutely suc$ at writing romance and truly personal stuff - they write good friendship between the 4 main characters (and I am not including Mitchell because right now they suc$ at writing those 4 as a team) I am talking Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel - that's what they knew and that's what they could write for - now its just 4 people who seem to know each other and work together but that's about it. They also cannot seem to get their heads out of their a$$es when it comes to Carter and they are not doing much to rehabilitate the character to the pre- season 7 Carter.

                            The reason they may diminsh Carter in S10 is not only to make room for the cheap, crass sexual innuendo nonesense of vala (I wish she would just crawl back under the rock they found her) but, IMO, it is even more because Carter is much smarter then Mitchell, she is a better, much more competent leader, and a better teammate, IMO. Carter has more experience, Carter was the sole leader and deserves to continue to be the leader and while she is around many, many fans, not just Carter fans, will not accept Mitchell as leader or co-leader - it is illogical and ridiculous to think that a guy like Mitchell would get co-lead or lead over someone of Carter's caliber.

                            TPTB insult the fans when they think the fans will just accept certain things - we are not stupid and we do think for ourselves and taking sole command of SG-1 away from Carter (and yes as much as Mallozzi insists command was not taken away it was) when she earned it and deserved it and should have kept it TPTB thought we would just accept the shiny new guy because they told us to and they told us how great he is blah, blah, blah is a little naive on their part.

                            They took sole command away as a concious decision. Everyone, I mean everyone, knew Carter would be back because everyone knew AT would be back - they did not have to give lead or co-lead to Mitchell they could have made it temporary or not at all because the way they chose to write the first 5 eps clearly indicates that at that time SG1 did not need to have a leader since there was no SG1 UNTIL CARTER RETURNED ANYWAY. The whole thing with Mitchell's background (joining SG1 under Carter, wanting to learn from the best, having no experience off world or with aliens, etc., etc.) and how it was handled up to Carter's return is another very bad piece of writing that it is clear to me no one is really looking at for common sense, continuity or logic - they have contradicted themselves all over the place with trying to put a square peg (Mitchell- the male lead) into a round hole (co-leader of SG1 - because God forbid they have a female lead).

                            Plain and simple, Carter makes Mitchell look incompetent and silly and they have to have their precious male lead so they have to get rid of Carter even if it is only getting rid of her part time so that they can then claim that Mitchell is the leader cuz Carter is not available all the time with her travels to Atlantis so he becomes defacto leader (which means he will in fact be the leader but he will still not be recognized as deserving such by many of the fans - TPTB just remove the impediment that makes him look incompetent and slightly immature and they think this will make it all better - they are really losing it if you ask me because this will just make me, as well as others I suspect, resent and dislike Mitchell and vala even more).

                            Sorry for the length - I just got started and for some reason today I am in a particularly snarky mood about this whole debacle. I hope that TPTB get their heads out of their a$$es soon otherwise I'm totally done with this crap. I only watch once in awhile now so it won't be a big stretch to stop altogether at this point. I really wish I had a Nielsen box and I really wish AT would just take the other lead role and tell these guys where to get off but that's her decision as much as I would love to see her tell them where to go.

                            Even if she does do Stargate I hope she works it out to do that other show as well and that that show take soff and she gets a full time lead over htere and can gett he he!! away from Stargate as it crashes and burns - anyone hear anything about that other show and whether they worked it out so she could do both if she wants?
                            Wow, I agree totally.

                            I was trying to think this morning about the exact time I just stopped watching X-files and how I cannot remember when that was because I just started fading away when they went away from the one-off eps and into the entire conspiracey theory thing. I was thinking would Stargate be like that. Will I just start to fade in the second half of season 9 and never even see season 10. Or will it be like ... S9 finally and ultra super vala baby... click... and never watch it again.

                            I was thinking all morning about this. Amazing how riled up we can get about stuff that hasnt happened yet. But then when you look at the stuff that has happened and the predictions that preceded it, it pretty much seems a done deal to me. At some point in the near future, I will have to find something to do betwee 8-9 (when atlantis comes on) and then something to do after that as I cannot stomac the overt sex in BSG. Of course, probably Atlantis will be destroyed to as it is the same TPTB so I guess I will have the entire night free.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

                            ^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

                            AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Skydiver
                              i have mixed feelings about vala. yes, she is fun. i'll freely admit that. seh has to be fun to write and a laugh riot to have around.

                              and if she was on antoher show, i'd probably enjoy her more. it's not that she's funny, it's taht her kind of humor has never had a place on the show and so rankles a bit. she sticks out like a sore thumb, especially when you take her attitude and lines with her costuming.

                              while the show has never taken itself seriously, it has also never descended to needing constant doses of slapstick to survive. Vala as a character is like a symbol of just how things are changing.

                              stargate used to be a respectful show. one that the air force was proud to have its name associated with. it was smart and funny and, well real. these characters were believable adn realistic (as much as aliens can be that is)

                              but now it's lost that. it's becoming farcical. it's changed from a show that promoted Janet so that they could maintain proper military protocol with her calling Sam by her first name to a show that has co-leaders and characters who wear non-regulation tank tops on duty. they're changing from a show that the air force could be proud of to a show like JAG....which the navy cringed over time and time again.

                              not only are they sacrificing the characters for the cheap laugh and trite joke, they're sacrificing the integrity of the show to keep it funny and turning it more into a space opera than it ever was.

                              personally, i don't see why vala and sam can't co-exist....but then again, sam is harder to write. sam is smart, her character requires research and in depth analysis....vala's easy. just watch national lampoon and you'll get all the jokes you need.
                              Great post.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                                As ChopinGal and Coley will attest, I've been struggling with how to deal with this message for several days. I have bad news, but I had to work through an ethical dilemma before sharing it with you. When the three of us reached a concensus on what constituted good judgment in this situation, we decided I should move forward.

                                Last week, I got this e-mail from Atteria's husband.

                                I'm sorry I haven't answered you sooner, but I've been unable too. Nikki is no longer with us. I'm sorry to have to bring you such bad news, but she did fight, right until the end.

                                Please thank everyone in Samanda for their prayers and best wishes. She loved you all.

                                Take care and please, don't announce this in the site. I don't think she would have wanted anything like this to mar the good feelings on the thread.

                                John


                                As you see, John asked me to let you know how much your prayers and good wishes were appreciated, but didn't want the news announced on the thread, because of the chance it would mar the good feelings here. I didn't know how to tell you one thing without telling you the other. But once ChopinGal, Coley and I realized that John's concern was for us, and not for his privacy, we agreed that knowing you as we do, we should use the thread.

                                I don't have John's address or any other details on what ailment claimed Nikki's life. I don't even know for sure exactly when she died, but I received his e-mail on November 2nd. I propose that today, as we discuss Sam and AT and enjoy the fellowship that is Samanda, that we also remember our friend Atteria, and the fun she brought to our little family.

                                I find it very strange to be mourning someone I never met in person, but I am. That's the nature of our internet friendships, I guess. Although some of us will meet in person, others never will. But many of us have become friends, nonetheless. And I know we will share a collective sorrow in this loss. Let's also celebrate the fun Nikki brought us, and remember her as the cheerful, caring and brave citizen of Samanda that she was.

                                That's my final post for tonight. I will rejoin you later in the day. Love to all.
                                I am very saddened to hear of Nikki's (Atteria) passing. Like the rest of you I didn't know her, only her cakes and good natured posts. I found tears in my eyes as I read the post. My heart and prayers go out to her husband and family.

                                ChopinGal beautiful poem!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X