Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by parsifal
    Yeah, but that line doesn't exactly do good things for her character (unless it was changed before filming).
    i'm thinking that what we're likely to get in that eps is some nice cam/sam bonding. and the spoilers have one single line twisted and blown out of proportion.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
      I definately agree that the title "Madame President" has it's appeal ...

I havnt' really been keeping up still... But to make up for my uuuusual lack of absence over the past... ever... I'm giving unto my people...
      a NON-ORANGERATED PIC OF ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dunno... something's come over me tonite... The Orangerator Monster must be sick tonite... I can't believe I just posted that...

well... WOMEN IN POWER FOREVER
      Heavens thunder, oceans roar
      Madam Pressie throws open the door
      There she stands in all her glory
      With her rifle as part of her story

No orangerator scum on her fair face
      However it's still not easy to keep pace
      With MajorSam and her many missions
      Part-time soldier, actor, and musician,
      Able writer of science fiction!

She comes and goes from this fair land ... ah!
      The very kingdom she named Samanda
      We do rejoice to find her well
      And hope she'll stay long enough to tell

Pray, just what she has been up to
      Madam President we have missed you
      Thanks for stopping by this late
      Have you come via the Stargate?
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 09 November 2005, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        i'm thinking that what we're likely to get in that eps is some nice cam/sam bonding. and the spoilers have one single line twisted and blown out of proportion.
        You're probably right about what the focus is supposed to be, but how can they not realize the dishonorable implications of the statement? Not to mention the contradictory element. If they want Sam to relate to Mitchell's situation why not "Stronghold"
        Spoiler:
        just have her mention the pain of Jacob's near death from cancer and leave it at that? Mission accomplished without besmirching Sam's reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          she said that they were all for sale/auction

but the 2010 one didn't go, so after the con was over, she got her chance.
          Yowza, I wonder what the wedding gown went for?!!

Comment

You're probably right about what the focus is supposed to be, but how can they not realize the dishonorable implications of the statement? Not to mention the contradictory element. If they want Sam to relate to Mitchell's situation why not "Stronghold"
            Spoiler:
            just have her mention the pain of Jacob's near death from cancer and leave it at that? Mission accomplished without besmirching Sam's reputation.
            Agreed. Because
            Spoiler:
            if Sam tells Mitchell she would have betrayed that confidence even without permission (though we'd never know for sure anyway), if Mitchell then does NOT betray it the same way, it affords his character more personal integrity than hers. It essentially makes him 'a more honorable' individual. And that would bite. It'd be yet another Carter-character-development sacrifice on the alter of someone's pathetic plot device.
            So I'm really hoping it doesn't go down like that, myself.

mini

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              To get serious for a moment (just a moment, I promise!) ...

Coley has written some recent posts on this and she is feeling quite strongly about it ... the newest Stargate mag has interviews with both Amanda and Rob Cooper. In RC's interview, he doles out praise on all the main cast, especially the newbies, and also MS and CJ, but does not say anything at all about AT/Sam. I haven't had a chance to get the mag ... have any of you also read it? How do you feel about what seems to be another glaring omission of Sam?!

I did, however, find time to read the GW episode descriptions for the rest of S9 and don't see much of Sam written into anything, other than Ripple Effect.
              Spoiler:
              It seems quite telling that the final two eps are Vala-heavy and, coincidentally, RC is stepping into the director's role for the final show and also doing the writing/producing I believe. I winced when I read of a minor character described as a "harlot" who befriends Vala. So be prepared for more sexual banter and scanty costumes.

How does SG1 fit into all this?! Sam Carter may be coming back for S10, but what can we really expect when S9 will be ending on such a down-note?

Maybe this was discussed while I was away; if so, sorry for bringing it up again. Just point me to the back pages.

Hi ChopinGal---thanks for posting the wonderful picture of you and Amanda!! That is a fabulous picture of both of you!!

I do have the magazine and it is true that RCC says nothing about AT/Sam in his interview, and he did mention everyone else. He also referred to Ben Browder as a "star". And, like Coley, the omission of Sam really did bother me. The one caveat is that I'm not sure exactly when the interview took place. When he is talking about the actors, he is mostly talking about when Vala is on the show. So he is not saying as much about later episodes after Vala in terms of the actors. Much of his interview is about the religious theme in season 9. Also note that Damien Kindler talks about Sam in his interview in this issue, but he is referring to how they are threading her back into the show (this is where he calls her the Obi Wan Kenobi of the show -- and that she is the bedrock that the show needs). His interview seems to be early on too, as he is talking about Sam just coming back.

Spoilers below for season 9:

As far as the spoilers, it seems to me that no one is really featured alot except Mitchell (collateral damage, stronghold, arthur's mantle and camelot). Sam seems to be highlighted in The Fourth Horseman Part II and Ripple Effect -- and is also mentioned in the spoilers "helping out Mitchell" in Collateral Damage, Stronghold, and Arthur's Mantle. JM noted also a major role in Camelot for Sam (but who really knows). I think it is clear that Mitchell will be featured in the second half, and of course then there is Vala who will be in the last two episodes.

I think RCC is enamoured of Vala (writing her, directing her, .....). Yes, this makes me uneasy because he is also the one that tells AT -- not sure what we are going to do with Sam yet. He has screwed with her character more than I think Brad Wright every would. I just get an uneasy feeling when I think of RCC, compared to the other writers/producers.

Sunkrux--I'm sorry for talking about the TPTB---I'm just expressing some concern about the future writing of my favorite character, Sam, in my favorite show, SG-1. I'm concerned about the direction RCC may be taking SG-1 in the future. I'm hoping that other producers/writers have some influence on how Sam is written is Season 10.

Comment

Spoiler:
                because these writers/ptb don't stop and think.

and when you take inconsideration laced with the desire to keep fans stirred up and talking, you get spoilers that are tweaked and worded to get folks talking....and they don't care if the character suffers because of it.

they've not been paying attention if they don't realize that there are folks who are eager to jump on any little thing that sam does, but they don't care.

in fact, i'm sure they count on those rabble rousers to whine and complain and talk, because the ultimate goal is to keep folks talking and interest up

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  I think RCC is enamoured of Vala (writing her, directing her, .....).
                  oh i agree with you there. he shows a distinct and obvious preference.

one would think that amanda's dog chewed up his office chair or something, or that claudia is some long lost cousin

course, also, he is subject to what he's told to say. and if mgm and scifi are making it clear to him that ben and claudia are to be the focus of all publicity (and like i said, we don't know when this interview was given) then rob will say what he's told to say. and if the suits tell him to pimp vala, he'll pimp vala

I do think that's rob's greatest weakness. Brad used to (and may still) stand up for the actors and characters, rob i dont' think is as good at doing that and thus allows scifi and mgm - who aren't known for their creative minds - are running rough shod over the show

sigpic

Comment

Popping in to to make a quick fanfic rec. It's a Sam/Jack adventure and work in progress, but shows a lot of promise by a young writer who could probably use some encouragement:

Better Ways to Self Destruct by Bekki Beekeeper
                    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2638956/1/

My LJ

Comment

Heavens thunder, oceans roar
                      Madam Pressie throws open the door
                      There she stands in all her glory
                      With her rifle as part of her story

No orangerator scum on her fair face
                      However it's still not easy to keep pace
                      With MajorSam and her many missions
                      Part-time soldier, actor, and musician,
                      Able writer of science fiction!

She comes and goes from this fair land ... ah!
                      The very kingdom she named Samanda
                      We do rejoice to find her well
                      And hope she'll stay long enough to tell

Pray, just what she has been up to
                      Madam President we have missed you
                      Thanks for stopping by this late
                      Have you come via the Stargate?
                      *sniff choke sob*

My dearest Chopin Gal, how I've missed your brilliant works of creative, written art!

If I could I would attempt to make a clever reply to that, but alas last nite at training one of the higher ups (Second highest, actually) Persons left, a good friend she was, and so after training was done, the highest person, her, the third, and myself (who's.. fifght highest.. OMG, FIFTH ) went out for dinner and alas I was out till the wee hours of the morning, and thus am very tired...

Am going to get my Scuba Diving qualifications next weekend... one of my officers is a trainer, and he offered some higher ranks the option of really really cheap training with him. im SO excited!

This Friday is Remembrance Day, so of course i'll be parading around in my uniform for a couple of hours... I might even lead my Corps portion of the parade

I'm writing and directing a play this year for a festival... debuts of both skills for me... but I'm very VERY excited about it... it's of a kind of sci-fi futuristic genre... (wow, big suprise there ) maybe this weekend i'll be able to post a legible synopsis of it, if anyone here is interested.

Had a concert the other day with my Sax... am going to LA for a week in the spring with two of my bands, am very psyched.

I’ve been looking over pics of GABIT, OMG I wish I would have been there… (do we know if ther's a possibility of her being at hte Creation Con in Vancouver this year????) a few quick comments…

Chopin, I saw your pic w/HRH… it’s FANTASTIC! Really great pic

Re/the woman who purchased and FIT the 2010 outfit… oh wow! I WANT IT! *Sob* I’m not sure I’d fit tho… I’m around same height as Amanda (just slightly taller) but I’m not sure about SIZE, lol.

Unfortunately one of my reasons for not visiting is I’m SO ridiculously far behind… I have no idea what’s happened in my absence, who’s done what, what magazine has said what, which PTB’s been ignoring Amanda, what spoilers are out… I can’t talk about ANY of this, and this is generally what everyone always talks about… TPTB thing I could probably find out about, but because of my NO-Spoiler policy, the rest is pretty much out for me… I’m literally cut from the basis of juicy wonderful in-depth convos… 

I could post about MYSELF, for example the acting thing this summer with Tom McBeath, and my visit to Bridge Studios for the FilmHaunt thing… but that might seem selfish while others are all having fabulous debates about new spoilers…

Admittedly, I could monitor over here for when all the things that don’t involve spoilers, talk re/season 9 (although it starts for me on TV TOMORROW ) and 10 etc, but you all have EXPLODED recently with posting... tens of thousands of them, actually, and I can't keep up!!! I don’t have time to really and truly monitor… :’( I’m in a tight pickle here…

What I’m planning is to come and catch up with you all during my Winter Break, about mid-late December to beginning January… I hope you’ll all be here!

Oh, I did see the full 12 min T4 stuff!! Those people are total BOZO’s! Holy Cow! “Hey Lieutenant” “A Theoretic Astrophysicist” (said 3 times, no less) Captain Jack O’Neill… *shakes head* but Amanda was brilliant my fave part, was, admittedly

“Lets just say they go fishing!”
                      ”he uses his pole does he?”
                      ”he gets me hook line and sinker!”
                      ”brings a whole new meaning to the word wormhole!”

I’m sorry, I just thought that was great…!

Anyways… that’s about me right now! Lol. I hope you’re all doing well, especially after the whole GABIT uproar!

Are you all voting on the MSNBC “Who’s hot” list still!?!?? YOU BETTER BE! Haha, POWER TO AMANDA!

MSam
                      Last edited by MajorSam; 09 November 2005, 07:28 PM.
                      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        Hi ChopinGal---thanks for posting the wonderful picture of you and Amanda!! That is a fabulous picture of both of you!!

I do have the magazine and it is true that RCC says nothing about AT/Sam in his interview, and he did mention everyone else. He also referred to Ben Browder as a "star". And, like Coley, the omission of Sam really did bother me. The one caveat is that I'm not sure exactly when the interview took place ... Also note that Damien Kindler talks about Sam in his interview in this issue, but he is referring to how they are threading her back into the show (this is where he calls her the Obi Wan Kenobi of the show -- and that she is the bedrock that the show needs). His interview seems to be early on too, as he is talking about Sam just coming back.

... I think RCC is enamoured of Vala (writing her, directing her, .....). Yes, this makes me uneasy because he is also the one that tells AT -- not sure what we are going to do with Sam yet. He has screwed with her character more than I think Brad Wright ever would. I just get an uneasy feeling when I think of RCC, compared to the other writers/producers.

... I'm sorry for talking about the TPTB---I'm just expressing some concern about the future writing of my favorite character, Sam, in my favorite show, SG-1. I'm concerned about the direction RCC may be taking SG-1 in the future. I'm hoping that other producers/writers have some influence on how Sam is written is Season 10.
                        chocdoc, thanks for the kind words!

As Strix has reminded us, healthy debate and questioning of TPTB should be allowed on an open forum ... just as we look to question other PTB, such as our political leaders.

I, like Coley, think we have every reason to be concerned from some of the empirical evidence presented: the role of Sam Carter seems to be diminishing yet the actor herself has been moving forward, positively, and working full days upon her return to the series. Is the S10 train pulling out of the station while Sam is running to jump on the caboose?! The verdict's not in.

To make matters more complicated, we of the "tone down Vala" frame of mind seem to be taking quite a licking on the current GW poll results. So, maybe TPTB will look at this poll and feel vindicated for the direction in which they are going. If so, then the arc of Sam Carter will reach a crossroads. I don't think it's wrong to question just what will become of Sam Carter in the greater scheme of things. She has been the leading lady for 8-9 seasons; she deserves to continue in that context.

And so we wait ....
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 09 November 2005, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          And Jester is in very fine form tonight! Tell me, Jester, are you going to scan in that autographed wedding photo to share with us?

I think this is my 1,500th post.....and made right here in the Kingdom of Samanda!
                          I really have to get to bed
                          What to do about "the pic" will be left unsaid
                          I had a surprise up my sleeve in time
                          But now I may have to share online

minigeek has also asked about this shot
                          But I'm not sure if posting it is legal or not
                          Anyone know about this matter
                          A signed paid-for pic is causing the chatter

My brain is now on overload
                          To think this out and what I'm told
                          I'll take under consideration
                          And awake tomorrow for further rumination!

In the meantime, sweet miss from Tennessee,
                          Happy 1500th Post
                          Whee whee whee!

Comment

This was a well-written critique - thanks for putting up the link! I haven't seen the show yet, but I seem to recall its getting panned by some critics who thought it would fold in a couple weeks. So glad to see that it seems to be scoring some points!

Imagine that, "a thinking woman" in a leadership role! PTB ... are you paying attention?!
                            Rock on, Commander in Chief. Rock on.

Four years ago, it wouldn't have flown past the initial pitch. Two years ago, it would've been cancelled after a few eps. Just goes to show that people are changing.

Too bad SciFi's stuck in the back ages. Dang, we don't want Sam to be PRESIDENT! We just want her to command her team, fcol.

Comment

But I'm not sure if posting it is legal or not
                              Anyone know about this matter
                              What has the Internet come to, where a person has to ponder posting a scan?

Post it. Please.

Comment

sg-1fanintn way to go on 1,500 posts

Here are a few pictures to go with CG outfits pix.

My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X