Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    I don't think Amanda was referring to any of us,as not one of us did anything to upset her in anyway.
    We obeyed the rules,gave her the space to be herself as much as possible,and she knows we all respect and love her.
    Can I say how proud I am of the Gabit-goers? It's kind of weird to say that since I wasn't there, but what I mean is it makes me glad as a Sam/AT fan that this seems to have been a positive experience not only for you (and the rest of us through your fine reports) but that she likely will have a positive view of us from the event. After hearing horror stories about out of control fans at other conventions, I'm so glad this went well.
    All these stories about AT really reinforce everything else I've heard about what a great person she is. You just can't fake that kind of genuine-ness. Especially for a whole weekend. How amazing to be both a great talent and a great person. And imagine how tough it must be (even for an actor) to be "on" that whole time.

Comment

I sent this as a PM to Coley and I'm going to post it here too for whomever else might have attended Gabit. This is just the way it goes, straight up, folks.

You did NOTHING wrong.

Lets get a couple'a things straight off the bat. As SunKrux would say ... a little voice of reason.

1. Amanda knew exactly what she was doing when she told everyone upfront of her open mike session about her contract negotiation status (or lack thereof).

2. Amanda, at no point during the con, indicated she "was" going to sign the contract - she asked her fans if she should (jokingly) and she made a statement to the effect of: "this doesn't seem to bother you guys..."

3. Amanda is a sweet, generous soul who deserves our admiration and respect as an actor; Amanda is human. She's prone to feel things. She's prone to react.

4. It is my personal (and professional) opinion that Amanda did not mean to imply that any of her fans did something "negative" when she said "the only negative thing to have come out of it [the con]". She was not trying to snipe anyone in particular. She was speaking about the concept of "gossip" and "speculation" in general, as it tends to become a bit of a white elephant.

5. The press release is Amanda Tapping reacting. She didn't make the statement that she had been approached last by accident. She didn't make the statement that she approached RCC and informed him she had another series in the wings by accident.

Look. I cannot presume for a moment to live inside her head, but I'd stake money on the supposition that she wasn't pleased with being approached dead last of all her colleagues. I do not (personally) believe she is completely pleased with the fine-print of her contract even now that she HAS it. Given she made a point to say she hasn't signed yet, but: "I fully expect that it will be soon." - that in and of itself means she's negotiating something that isn't perfect in her offer. That is fairly and undeniably obvious, regardless.

6. What I also think is obvious is that Amanda wanted to share that with you all, because she's human. There's no way she'd tell you she approached RCC and asked: "Is there a problem?" - without qualifying that if she wasn't feeling capitious over the whole thing herself.

More than likely she didn't expect the rapidity of the "broken telephone" line that ended up happening as her comments were assimilated and extrapolated upon via the internet. But don't think for a moment she was unaware what she was saying or that she forgot to say something like "don't tell anyone, okay?". One of the many reasons we all admire and respect Amanda is because she will stand up for her character, because she does feel things deeply and because she is a splendidly intelligent woman. She made a choice. A deliberate choice to start her talk that way.

7. When she got back, she almost certainly had messages from her agent and from the studio saying "What the heck did you say to those fans?!" And so be it. She wouldn't be the first actor to have that happen and she won't be the last. She issued a statement, but the IMPACT was already there. The ends justified the means, so to speak? "TPTB" heard the message SO loud and SO clear - they called her and told her to say something.

The FACTS are she made the choice to say what she did. CG, Coley, Forever, 1Speed, et al ... YOU did nothing wrong in reporting her words verbatim. Nor were you the only fans from the con that reported back.

The innuendo, the speculation, whatever raged from others' interperetation of those comments was not IN ANY WAY your fault and I (for one) won't have you sitting there thinking you did a single thing wrong. Nor would Amanda, I'm absolutely positive. Not for a second.

I really hope you guys are okay. Breathe a bit, put things into perspective. You went to a con, you came back, you reported what was said and done there. That's it. That's ALL. You did AMAZING and we love you for it.

I know you guys feel things very deeply and you care a great deal for the integrity of not only yourselves but our lovely online "Kindgom" as well. Every one of you is a total class act and nothing about that has changed since GABIT. Not one single thing.

{{{hugs to you all}}}

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I think we may have done something like this before, way back when, but let me throw this out there and see if it floats or sinks deservedly into the deep blue...

If you could meet Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, what would you say to her? And I suppose in what scenario could you meet her?
        Seatmates on a plane? She's in uniform & you say--"so you're in the Air Force? A Colonel? How cool is that?!" She says: "Very cool."

Or a fictional scenario--you are assigned to Stargate Command in your actual professional role? In the computer dept? SG Band? Medical staff? -- and have occasion to see her in the commissary?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          I think we may have done something like this before, way back when, but let me throw this out there and see if it floats or sinks deservedly into the deep blue...

If you could meet Lt. Col. Samantha Carter, what would you say to her? And I suppose in what scenario could you meet her?
          Seatmates on a plane? She's in uniform & you say--"so you're in the Air Force? A Colonel? How cool is that?!" She says: "Very cool."

Or a fictional scenario--you are assigned to Stargate Command in your actual professional role? In the computer dept? SG Band? Medical staff? -- and have occasion to see her in the commissary?
          Oooo maybe I could be makin' those 3D computer models of new Deadalus-class starships and maps of the universe that can project like holograms across a whole room {{{shiver}}} Sweet!

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
            I sent this as a PM to Coley and I'm going to post it here too for whomever else might have attended Gabit. This is just the way it goes, straight up, folks.

You did NOTHING wrong.

<big HONKIN' snippage>

{{{hugs to you all}}}
            *standing O*

What she said. Exactly. All of it.

Just...

EXACTLY!!!!

ALL HAIL MINIGEEK!

ALL HAIL THE GABITeers!!!!!

*continues standing O*

Blue jelloccinos for everyone!!! ON THE HOUSE!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              You thought you were telling your friends, not reporting a news story to the entire GW community.
              An bit of a long observation if you’ll all allow me…

One thought I’m struck with as I read through the thread is that there seems to be an underlying feeling I pick up on that the SAGC thread is like a chat room where persons are sharing their experiences and thoughts with a small number of other members and that whatever is shared will “just stay in the room.” And lest anyone take personal offense to that observation – I don’t mean off-topic-edness, I’m referring to the feeling of intimacy and sense of safeness one may develop when they assume only that small circle of friends is reading their comments/posts. And I do have to say that kind of assumption isn’t only in this thread; I speak from experience in participating in other threads and lurking through an even greater number here at GW.

It can be easy to forget it’s a very big and very *public* bulletin board accessed by anyone with internet access *world-wide.* It can be easy to forget that the people reading the thread aren’t just the people you’ve developed a VR relationship with here – other members and innumerable non-members come through to take a gander at what the latest topic/gossip is.

There was a tremendous focus on the S/J thread this past February when Threads was being shown in the UK. Some UK S/J ship thread regulars were posting the particulars as they watched the ep. GW experienced a new record (for that time) as all of us non-UK spoiler hounds from all over the Net were over in that thread reading the posts as they came up throughout the afternoon. Unfortunately the forum thread stats at the bottom of the page weren’t there back then so I can’t tell you how many people were on that one thread, but that’s what we were all there for – to hear the news as it was being aired.

This seems to be the first time SAGC has experienced that kind of hyper-focused scrutiny. I guess I wanted to take the opportunity to remind anyone who posts here or anywhere on any public forum (and I’ll lump in public blog entries on LiveJournal and other places into this) that even if most of us have the anonymity of screen names and such, *what* we post (personal info/links to personal pix/our opinions/our attitudes) is very, very public and is read by so many more people than you’d (the general you) ever imagine.

So I must very respectfully disagree with a part of what sg-1fanintn said because posting here *is* sharing with the entire GW community, as well as to the fandom in general and internet community at large. It is a testament to the intelligent, compassionate atmosphere of the thread that it does engender that cozy, amongst-friends kind of feeling where we can agree to disagree and come back to play day after day, but I don’t know… I just wanted to share because we’re not in our private world that no one knows about… what we do/say is being observed by everyone.

Gabiteers: what’s done is done. Take those slow deep breaths, stretch, release and let your doubts and stress go. Her well-known openness and candor aside, please remember that AT did share that information in a public forum and having done countless interviews during her stint with SG, I have to agree with many posters – if it wasn’t for public fandom consumption, we’d have never heard a bleep about it. And thank goodness that even as fast as the fires of fandom fury spread, they equally quick are extinguished out as fans move on to the next spoiler, the next interview tidbit, the next con report. A few days seem like weeks and the turbulent water has flowed under the bridge and far, far away…. Ancient History…

(((Gabiteers)))

(((sg-1fanintn))) I meant no disrespect to you personally and hope you didn’t mind me usig that piece of your post… I just finally had to make a public comment on what I’ve been observing since joining this fandom.

And now back to your regular programming…. “It’s All About Sam” on AT TV….

Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said

none of the gabiteers repeated priviledged info. no one relayed a secret or somthing they'd asked to be kept private. they repeated words that amanda said on a STAGE in front of hundreds of people. She's an intelligent person and is well versed in how the net and fandom works (remember the whole s6 mess, she may n ot have been involved but she had a ringside seat to that mess). She knew that her words would be repeated.

NOne of you did anything wrong. You just repeated what you'd heard.

And i agree with whomever it was (sorry, i've skimmed like 20 pages int he past hour) that listed all the 'reasons' to be concerned, the promotion of vala over the existing cast, the fascination with cameron, the fact that Sam has pretty much been relegated to verymuch supporting cast member, etc, as further fuel to the fire that, yes, someone somewhere may be giving serious consideration to the removal of Sam.

None of you did anything wrong, i'll say it again. If amanda didn't want word to spread about s10 adn her contract, she wouldn't have said a word.

What i think and feel, her statement on her site was more of a 'ok, let's not have a repeat of the sdj mess' type of statement

She knew what she was saying and had to have had some idea of how things would go down.

so none of you should feel guilty in the slightest. because it wasn't only you that spread the word, it was dozens of other attendees who heard the exact same thing
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said

none of the gabiteers repeated priviledged info. no one relayed a secret or somthing they'd asked to be kept private. they repeated words that amanda said on a STAGE in front of hundreds of people. She's an intelligent person and is well versed in how the net and fandom works (remember the whole s6 mess, she may n ot have been involved but she had a ringside seat to that mess). She knew that her words would be repeated.

NOne of you did anything wrong. You just repeated what you'd heard.

And i agree with whomever it was (sorry, i've skimmed like 20 pages int he past hour) that listed all the 'reasons' to be concerned, the promotion of vala over the existing cast, the fascination with cameron, the fact that Sam has pretty much been relegated to verymuch supporting cast member, etc, as further fuel to the fire that, yes, someone somewhere may be giving serious consideration to the removal of Sam.

None of you did anything wrong, i'll say it again. If amanda didn't want word to spread about s10 adn her contract, she wouldn't have said a word.

What i think and feel, her statement on her site was more of a 'ok, let's not have a repeat of the sdj mess' type of statement

She knew what she was saying and had to have had some idea of how things would go down.

so none of you should feel guilty in the slightest. because it wasn't only you that spread the word, it was dozens of other attendees who heard the exact same thing
                  *preens in Rodney McKay-like manner*

That would be ME.

Oh, and I totally agree with everything else you said too...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

If I made it to SGC it would be the computer department, in charge of supplies. So, I see the top Stargate science officer in the commissary, and after I get over gawking as she chooses the last blue jello for dessert, I collect my meal and watch where she sits. Aha, by herself!

T. "Col. Carter, I'm Traveler. Just wanted to know if all the discs worked ok when you had to restart the gate. After that glowing artifact infected the base?"

S. "The double gig minidiscs? They worked fine! Where'd you get those? I've been after SGC...oh, sit down, please."

T. "I spied them when I was in Area 51. Those guys have it all. Thought we could use a few, with all the data we back up."

S. "And they just...gave them up? Must be new guys down there. They don't give up a pencil if it's not requisitioned."

T. "Yes, but I know Walter."

And we both laugh. I leave her in peace to finish her meal and float away on a happy cloud of hero worship. Hey, it's MY fiction!

Just playin', just sayin'.
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Can I say how proud I am of the Gabit-goers? It's kind of weird to say that since I wasn't there, but what I mean is it makes me glad as a Sam/AT fan that this seems to have been a positive experience not only for you (and the rest of us through your fine reports) but that she likely will have a positive view of us from the event. After hearing horror stories about out of control fans at other conventions, I'm so glad this went well.
                      All these stories about AT really reinforce everything else I've heard about what a great person she is. You just can't fake that kind of genuine-ness. Especially for a whole weekend. How amazing to be both a great talent and a great person. And imagine how tough it must be (even for an actor) to be "on" that whole time.
                      You may not have been there in person ,but you were there in spirit .
                      I don't know if you've read any of the Gabit thread ,but we drank a toast to all absent Sam/AT fans at the Meal and it was a lovely moment.

Amanda came across as very genuine and she said how much she was enjoying the whole event several times.I marvelled at her energy and positive attitude.

I feel I'm repeating what others have said already,but she really is gracious and very charismatic...with a great sense of prankish humour.

The Con itself was organised extremely well,and everyone from the directors to the stewards went out of their way to make sure everyone had a great time.Nothing was too much trouble for them to try to set right.

*Sigh* I'd add more ,but you see this chappie I rather like ,initials A.D who's just a tiny weeny bit interested in Amanda ,Sam,that kind of thing,wants a proper report .
                      I haven't done one yet....and I think in a moment of madness I said yes !

#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
                      Uber, I couldn't send a reply to your pm.No idea why, but it keeps sticking .
                      (Yeah..I'm a real tech fiend aren't I ! )

I'll try again tomorrow.Drat ! Can you or someone else,tell me how to do an umlaut,please ?
                      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

((((((GABITeers)))))

Just throwing in my love at you all and reiterating what everyone else has so eloquently said. Nothing wrong was posted here over the weekend. Several people have posted that this is like the telephone game - things get distorted and Amanda was just doing her best to calm everyone's fear as only she can. I can't speak for anyone other than myself. So I feel that if the producers didn't contact Amanda about the next season, it's shame on them. They're so intent on promoting Mitchell and Vala, they're forgetting a huge part of what got them here - Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, etc...

I'm not certain about having Amanda appear on SGA. It doesn't sit right with me at the moment. So, when the final word is out, I'll make my decision then.

So, keep your heads held high, everyone. No wrong was committed. All is well here and Hic Comitas Regit
                        sigpic

Comment

[FONT="Tahoma"]With all the comments coming out of GAMBIT and here I feel a need to write both Amanda and TPTB stating just how much I enjoy both Ms Tapping and Lt. Col. Carter. And IMO just how much she adds to Stargate SG-1. After having the experience of her NOT being in the first 5 episodes of Season 9, etc, etc.

Help are there any links to the pictures from GAMBIT. I tried weeding through all the comments and did not find any[/FHONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            Just me, but I think it is okay to express reservations, doubts, and even criticism of things with which you don't agree. You know, I email my political representatives all the time, too. If I was calling TPTB a bunch of rat *******s, I agree it's out of line, and maybe I have stepped over that line in the past, I don't know. It certainly wasn't intentional. But if I tell my congressman that I think his piece of legislation stinks because of x,y, and z reasons... is that bashing him? And I don't think it's bashing him to tell him I don't like the way he votes, either, because that can have an effect on my life (just as the decisions made by TPTB can affect my viewing pleasure of the show).
                            I don't recall saying that expressing ones reservations is bashing any of the SGPTB. I have seen a few fans use not so nice adjectives to discribe the talents (or in their choice of words - lack there of) of the writers/producers of the show, that imho is bashing. Sharing reservations and complaints is a good thing, how else are others to know they've stepped out of line. Using less than postitive adjectives is not a good way to do it, just as you've said.

But my main point is, I don't think expressing disagreement with something or someone always constitutes bashing, and sometimes I wonder if people (not implying you, SunKrux) confuse the two. I don't want this thread to become someplace where it's not acceptable to post a complaint or criticism.
                            Criticism on it's own can be negative, but when done constructively (which I've seen a bit of here, but also not) it can be a good thing. Back up criticism with an explaination. It's kind of like giving somoene a "ding" (and not the pretty green ones either) and not explaining why you didn't like or appreciate their post. It's pointless and quite frankly, for me a waste of my time. I'd rather not hear anything if you can't back it up with a reason. But that's just me.
                            *not saying that anyone here has done that, but I have gotten a couple of "dings" and there is no reason or explaination as to why. One I got, I totally understand why the poster didn't explain. The other, I don't know their posts well enough to understand.

There's a lot going on in the fandom right now, and people are going to have mixed reactions. Name-calling is never okay, but I think it's okay to vent a little and go on the occasional rant. Just my tuppence, for whatever it's worth.
                            Venting and ranting are ok by me...just remember, that using certain adjectives can make it seem like one is bashing someone to others. Not that I'm saying that's what you have done. I was just speaking in general terms of some of the posters here.
                            sigpic
                            I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Uber, I am taking the liberty of using parts of your post, hopefully as my context, for a very difficult personal post ... probably the hardest post I've ever written at this thread.

I am doing this now, at my office, because it seems that I and my fellow Samandans have somehow managed to create a tempest which streamrolled out of control from our weekend reporting of Amanda's Q&A sessions at GABIT. Needless to say, the old adage of "the purest intentions" has created a hell of a difficult situation which seems to have embarrassed the actor herself and caused her to fire off a response at her website about "the only negative thing that happened" at her very special weekend at GABIT. That was the hardest sentence to read ... there should not have been anything "negative" about such a beautiful and fun weekend with her fans! We were thrilled to be in her company and to let her feel our love and support.

I am almost in tears writing this as I really have to think of a proper apology to Amanda for what seems to her a breach of trust. Those of you who know me and Coley and Kat and Tone, know that we would never intentionally hurt or malign someone we so respect and admire. I know that Coley at this very moment is just as disturbed and heartsick over this. By bringing back to SaGC what we thought would be a careful report of Amanda's own words, we opened ourselves to much more publicity than we (or she) had expected or intended. Nowhere did we report her leaving the show, but this rumor probably grew from the candor of what was reported. And now everyone is in an uproar.

Some here have tried to quell the flood of negativity and excited innuendos. Thank you for your wisdom and restraint. I, myself, posted my own strong feelings about TPTB when I should have stepped back a bit. There was a sudden spike of publicity which, obviously, could either help or hinder her in upcoming contractual negotiations. I/we should have been more mindful and sensitive to this kind of consequence.

The fact that, within the space of a few short days, so much was said by so many does, in itself, speak favorably and positively of Amanda's popularity. Fans who never posted before came to this thread and released their feelings about a fine woman and actor. So, if our premature posts caused that upswell of support, perhaps the "negative thing" also had a positive consequence too. I would like to think so.

However, the fact that our posts seem to have hurt Amanda, I cannot reconcile. I will try to make amends to her directly and will be writing for Coley, Tone, and Kat.

I am sorry that this unfortunate turn of events ever took place and I hope that Amanda will not judge Samanda by what we seemed to have done wrong but by our sincerity of heart and our love for her which have been expressed consistently and ardently on this thread.

Peace, CG
                              *shrunk to save space

CG - you lucky duckies that attended GABIT did nothing wrong in my eyes. It was the jumping to conclusions that I think may have hurt Amanda's feelings and that's what might have caused her to post what she did on her site.

Sharing what she said wasn't wrong, so you all please, stop feeling bad. ((((((((((GABIT attendees)))))))))
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Chopin, you made me so sad! I don't want you to ever be that heartfelt again, dang it.

Comment

Working...
                                X