No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This just in from the GABIT weekend front ... Jester, your trusty roving reporter and photographer, had managed to capture a picture of our Assistant Head of Security next to Dr. Janet Fraiser's lab coat! Oh, unfortunately, Teryl Rothery was not in the building so he could not get an autograph for Head of Security. Sorry, AD!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0767.jpg

Many more candids to come; alas, this working woman must stop uploading her photos and get herself to work! Her mind will be elsewhere however.

To be continued ...

Comment

The Royal Press Badge of Samanda, proudly displayed at GABIT in London!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...inLondon-6.jpg

Thanks to Kat's flag design and SamFan31's clever manips, Coley, 1speed, Kat and I had these kinds of badges to wear in addition to the normal con wear!

Comment

Royal Accountant, Jester, and Assistant Head of Security ... proudly wearing their Samandan colors!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...inLondon-1.jpg

Pictures of AT and comments about the cocktail party tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          This just in from the GABIT weekend front ... Jester, your trusty roving reporter and photographer, had managed to capture a picture of our Assistant Head of Security next to Dr. Janet Fraiser's lab coat! Oh, unfortunately, Teryl Rothery was not in the building so he could not get an autograph for Head of Security. Sorry, AD!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/IMG_0767.jpg

Many more candids to come; alas, this working woman must stop uploading her photos and get herself to work! Her mind will be elsewhere however.

To be continued ...
          More to the point, unfortunately TR was not in the lab coat...

And no change there then. H2!!! H9!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            And now it's payback time from the fans. We do have valid questions and concerns: first of all, about the respect due a fine actor, a veteran of the series, who seems to be getting the runaround lately. And, secondly, about the future of the SG1 arc itself. Is there really a future SG1? Why not fold your cards, guys ... and rename the key players something else. Break it off and break clean!
            RCC kind of answered the bolded part --- apparently they had wanted to change the name of the show...

RCC: "The last line Walter the technician says to Colonel Mitchell, 'Welcome to Stargate Command,' which was originally going to be the title of the new series, but for a number of corporate reasons, it has remained as Stargate SG-1."

GW link:
            http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...1iwasalm.shtml
            Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
            My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Here's a little something for TPTB, if they intend to bring back full blown Vala
              in S10. That's if this is passed in the US:

Groups decry screen-sex amendment - Yahoo! News

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051101/film_nm/sex_dc

Comment

TO KAT, COLEY, CHOPINGAL, and 1SPEED4SAM!

Thank You Guys So Much For Sharing All These Wonderful Moments
                You Had At GABIT And With Amanda And For Sharing Your Pics, Too!
                I think I can speak for all of us, when I say, it really means a lot!!!

And Special Thanks To ChopinGal for Sharing With Amanda
                What Samanda Is All About And for Letting Her Know
                That She Will Always Have Our Support!!!

THANK YOU !!!
                Last edited by Dani76; 01 November 2005, 09:36 AM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

Hi fellow Samandans, i've just been over to www.amandatapping.com and found a message from Amanda herself on the front page, please go and read it as i'm sitting here with a big smile on my face
                  ......TARA......

Comment

I can't get the page to load. Would you be so kind as to post the message here, or at least the general gist of it?

Comment

Here is Amanda's message on her webpage, I hope it's okay if I copy it here. It seems as if everybody is trying to access it at the same time, so it's hard to get on the webpage right now:

From www.amandatapping.com

HI Everyone;

I just wanted to say how great it was to meet those of you who were able to attend GABIT's event this past weekend. It was a fantastic event and I had a wonderful time.

The only negative thing to come out of the weekend is a rumour that needs to be put to rest. First of all, I have every intention of returning to Stargate next year. No, my contract has not been signed, but I fully expect that it will be soon. Yes, I have been offered the possibility of working on both SG-1 and Atlantis. To what extent still remains to be seen, but I will be doing a total of 20 shows or a full season. Am I happy about it? You betcha! Yes I have been offered another series but I will participate in it only if it they are willing to work around Stargate's schedule. Stargate starts as this series wraps up. If it can work, then great. If not, then I will not be doing the other series. Stargate is a wonderful series to work on and I have every intention of staying with it. I hope that this clears up any erroneous speculation.

Now back to GABIT. It was great! Thank you to everyone for your generosity. The gifts, the letters, the cards are so greatly appreciated. I hope you all had as wonderful a time as I did.

With much love,
                      Amanda
                      And thank you Tara for letting us know!!!
                      Last edited by Dani76; 01 November 2005, 03:00 PM.

Thank you, Skydiver

Comment

UGH! This is just further proof that college is overrated!!! I've gotta run to class, and I've already missed all of the cool stuff (i.e. JM's blog and the responses to it both here and there)...

I just had to say this little bit before I go:

Though I'm still weary of what JM said in his original blog post, I have to say that he is soooo cool for a.) responding to all of the responses as they came yesterday and b.) DEFENDING Carter like that. I happened to catch his statement about Sam being more than a scientist and it hit me...

IF TPTB at Sony/SciFi/Bridge are looking for an out for Carter, and JM is as honest and fervent in his defense of her when he talks to them....

Well, that could partially explain why he hasn't been asked back yet. He's not on the right team. If this is a "war," then they could consider him the enemy. And this could go deeper than just the issue of Sam.

Pretty crazy... I hope I'm wrong. If this is a matter of Carter/AT needing allies, then he needs to remain in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          oh, sun, you must be new to this fandom to have this much faith in these ptb.

sally
                          I'm new to this forum, but not to SG1. I always tend to give most people the benifit of doubt and try not to judge any one situation by what ONE person involved in the situation has said. It's a lesson I learned from my mom.

I'm not saying that I think TPB are in the right, BUT I am saying that we really shouldn't jump to conclusions from what Amanda shared...via second hand. Since most of us were not there and are getting what she said from the few, wonderful GABIT attendees, we have no clue what Amanda's manner or tone was like. To top that off, each of us perceive the same situation completely differently.
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by yowo
                            Yes Sir re Bob,
                            Amanda Tapping is a wonderful actress, and has given her all for the show and deserves a little respect. I don’t understand the problem, if they want to have Vala on the show why can’t they have both Vala and Sam. Vala can’t replace Sam they are nothing alike. Carter has always been a positive roll model for women. If they take her away the show will go darkside in my opinion. Besides Stargate won’t be Stargate without Samantha Carter. She has been there from the beginning and deserves to be there. She helped make it what it is today. Plus there are a lot of us out there that want her to stay, if she wants to stay. I’m one fan that won’t watch if Amanda is not on the show. I just can’t believe that TPTB would do that to Amanda and to the fans for that matter, that have been so fateful for so many years.
                            Amanda Tapping is one of the reasons why so many people have watched this show for so long. She is the heart of the show and she gives it heart!
                            I do not believe TPTB are trying to replace Sam with Vala. I think they are trying to bring a breath of fresh air into the mix.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              sun, i've been with this show from the beginning, and i've seen problems starting since season 5. that's four years ago and four years of seeing one missed opportunity and mistake after another. and now we're dealing with an actor on a show being pushed aside to make way for new storylines for their new characters.

thinking ahead, i just can't see this working out without more ppl being upset/offended.

i appreciate your upbeat view on things... but maybe i'm not in the right frame of mind to see it that way. or, i've been beaten to the ground so often that i'm just expecting another blow. (being an s/j shipper does that to a person)

i just want to find out if/when amanda signs. i also want to know if michael shanks signs/stays.

sally
                              Considering that most folks here and I will never see eye to eye on this, not sure what else I can say.

I still think it's wrong for all the PTB bashing when supposedly Samandans have made it clear it's not ok to bash other characters, but TPTB are fair game? How is that fair? I'm not saying I like what's happening, just trying to get some to realize that TPTB are answering to a higher authority (Sony/Skiffy if you ask me) and the great "SS" are the ones trying to make the writers/PTB change the show. Who's to say that TPTB like what's happening any more than we do. They just can't complain like we can. It's kinda stupid to bit the hand that feeds you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                Considering that most folks here and I will never see eye to eye on this, not sure what else I can say.

I still think it's wrong for all the PTB bashing when supposedly Samandans have made it clear it's not ok to bash other characters, but TPTB are fair game? How is that fair? I'm not saying I like what's happening, just trying to get some to realize that TPTB are answering to a higher authority (Sony/Skiffy if you ask me) and the great "SS" are the ones trying to make the writers/PTB change the show. Who's to say that TPTB like what's happening any more than we do. They just can't complain like we can. It's kinda stupid to bit the hand that feeds you.
                                Sun "capital k" Krux I hope you don't feel beaten up here by anyone. If so give me their names and locations and AD, 1speed and I will rush over, zats in hand.

I'm with you here too...I think we all are. The thing is that when it comes to Sam, all we've gotten from TPTB this year are the most outlandish and bizarre explanations regarding issues that should be basic and nailed down tightly and so when we pile the mountain of beefs we have with the concept of Amanda being a recurring and Claudia being a regular it just feels as if they are nudging Sam out of the way to make room for the new and improved Stargate SG-1 and all that entails...that they are phasing her out for their shiny new toys. Does that mean that's what they are actually doing? Not necessarily.

But my point is they made this bed by the things they've said and done this year. There was nothing wrong with what Amanda said or the Gabiteers' reports or Samanda's and SG-1 fandom's reaction. Amanda told the convention goers what was going on because she knew they'd ask and she was being straight with them. What happened after that was fans drawing conclusions based on trends we've witnessed this past year BASED on decisions made by TPTB. Like I said, they made their bed...and this is the result.

Truth be told (not that I'm lying anywhere else), I don't want anyone nudged out for the sake of the new and improved SG-1. Additionally, I really WANT Vala to be there...maybe not full time but I do want to see her again. Furthermore, I really think that the "opposites attract" friendship would do tons to add depth to both characters and could be a really fascinating dynamic if they go that route. I just cringe at the idea of Vala TAKING THE PLACE OF Sam...having her as an addition to the cast is fine by me...especially if she and Sam become friends. I know that Claudia and Amanda really hit it off and I know they are both top notch ladies with great senses of humor and extremely talented actresses. It would be a waste to let that slip by unexplored.

So...to recap...even if we're wrong about everything, I don't regret a thing. Fandom almost universally united behind Amanda/Sam...and JM felt the need to devote 3 paragraphs of his blog and answer questions directly about this because it became such an issue...and all of that is good. They know she's a fan favorite...maybe they needed reminding. Who knows? Maybe they started taking Amanda and Sam for granted and needed a kick in the caboose to remember what they have in her.

I'm glad Amanda mentioned it on her site too...although I hope that none of this caused her any problems. Actually it might have the opposite affect because she'd have a little leverage when negotiating her contract. That also could be a good thing coming from a negative experience.

Then again, if we were right and they do try to phase her out, then we don't have to watch the show anymore...and I'll enjoy my DVD collection (even my crappy R4 Season 8 ones) and enjoy who Carter was and imagine what she might have been.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X