Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    You know what I'm surpised with? It's the fact that AT brought this all out in the open. To me this means it really upset her if she really didn't think before speaking out in public, what the ramifications would be once her fans heard. Either she wants this affect and is so upset she doesn't care what happens when TPTB are leveled with letters etc. OR again, she wasn't thinking when she told the Gambiters.

    I just took a peek at the Red Book and WOW! You guys did good.

    Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

    Poz

    Comment


      Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if she thought "the heck with being the good soldier--look what that's got me." Maybe she's ready to "up the body count" a little.

      Comment


        Quote:
        Originally Posted by binkpmmc
        I have to second this - please just make sure there is a way for us here in the US to get copies of the Canadian show she is going to do. I really do hope she takes the new opportunity after this shoddy treatment after 9 years of hard work and loyalty - for what . . . geesh what a bunch!!


        I fourth this?????????

        I would love to watch whatever and follow where ever AT goes.

        Poz

        Comment


          Originally posted by SG1Poz
          You know what I'm surpised with? It's the fact that AT brought this all out in the open. To me this means it really upset her if she really didn't think before speaking out in public, what the ramifications would be once her fans heard. Either she wants this affect and is so upset she doesn't care what happens when TPTB are leveled with letters etc. OR again, she wasn't thinking when she told the Gambiters.

          I just took a peek at the Red Book and WOW! You guys did good.

          Ok, back to our regularly scheduled program.

          Poz
          well, i think she told everybody as to warn us of what's coming up for her and her fans. i don't see anything wrong with her bringing it up. she was just telling us the truth and to be ready. (i'm not sure i know what you're really saying, poz)



          sally
          sally

          sigpic

          Comment


            Originally posted by majorsal
            well, i think she told everybody as to warn us of what's coming up for her and her fans. i don't see anything wrong with her bringing it up. she was just telling us the truth and to be ready. (i'm not sure i know what you're really saying, poz)



            sally
            True--people ask what's in store for Carter & she has to say she doesn't know.

            Comment


              Just a thought--I can picture the birds from the Royal Aviary doing a flyover of the producers...with predictable results.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                This morning's autograph session: I asked Amanda about receiving the flowers and chocolates first week on set - just to know she paused writing and looked at me and told me "thank you all" and told me that this was such a boost and really made her feel so good as she was feeling a bit low that week and our gift made a difference! I will tell you all much more later - she got up and kissed and hugged me as I told her that "there are a lot of professional women at SaGC who will support you (wink wink) no matter what your career decisions are". I think she got the underlying message from the look and heartfelt thanks she gave me for all of you! It was a terrific moment ... I spent Friday night talking to her at cocktail party about "the red book" and got to ask a public question this morning where I first announced "hello from SaGC thread" and AT then told the entire audience all about "our red book" and I announced, at her prompting after she started to say this and looked at me, that we are at 1000 pages and 20000 posts! She told me that someone had phoned her about our thread a while back! Hurray Samanda!
                Hic comitas regit! Jester/CG
                Thank you CG and Kat for your updates. They are much appreciated. And thank you CG for letting Amanda know of us and that we will always support her.

                I have to say, this weekend has been a very emotional one for me. I was close to crying more than once, and normally I am not that easily moved to tears.

                It almost broke my heart when I heard how Amanda had been treated. And as I said before, even if everything will work out, and I certainly hope that it will, the treatment Amanda got is unforgivable. Just imagine: You put 9 years of your life and soul into a character, you are a main force in developing the character, you are a huge part of the success of the show, and then you're not even worth being approached in an honest and respectful way?
                Amanda is in the movie business, and we all know how that can be. Yet, despite this environment, she is one of the kindest, most honest, and respectful human beings I have ever known. And from the first day I've seen her, she has been an inspiration throughout my life.

                The next time I almost cried was when I read all the posts here last night after the news broke. And not only here, but also on JM's blog comments. I was moved by the support shown for Amanda and I was moved that so many out there feel the same way about her.

                Then when I read CG's report how Amanda talked about "our red book" and how the flowers and chocolates made her feel better when she was back on the set earlier this year, I finally broke down. I cried and I am actually feeling much better now. I guess, it was the thought that we were actually able to make a bit of a difference in Amanda's life, that we could give something back to her, even if it is small compared to what she has given to us.

                And, Amanda, if you should ever stop by and read this, please know that we are behind you 100% of the way, whatever you may decide and whatever may happen. Please know that we adore you and support you no matter what. And, thank you for making such a big difference in my life and for being such an inspiration!

                I can't really put into words what I want to say, but I think this thread speaks for itself, after all we are almost there: 1,000 pages and 20,000 posts.

                Sorry, if this turned out a bit too emotional, I just had to...

                Thank you, Skydiver

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Dani76
                  Thank you CG and Kat for your updates. They are much appreciated. And thank you CG for letting Amanda know of us and that we will always support her.

                  I have to say, this weekend has been a very emotional one for me. I was close to crying more than once, and normally I am not that easily moved to tears.

                  It almost broke my heart when I heard how Amanda had been treated. And as I said before, even if everything will work out, and I certainly hope that it will, the treatment Amanda got is unforgivable. Just imagine: You put 9 years of your life and soul into a character, you are a main force in developing the character, you are a huge part of the success of the show, and then you're not even worth being approached in an honest and respectful way?
                  Amanda is in the movie business, and we all know how that can be. Yet, despite this environment, she is one of the kindest, most honest, and respectful human beings I have ever known. And from the first day I've seen her, she has been an inspiration throughout my life.

                  The next time I almost cried was when I read all the posts here last night after the news broke. And not only here, but also on JM's blog comments. I was moved by the support shown for Amanda and I was moved that so many out there feel the same way about her.

                  Then when I read CG's report how Amanda talked about "our red book" and how the flowers and chocolates made her feel better when she was back on the set earlier this year, I finally broke down. I cried and I am actually feeling much better now. I guess, it was the thought that we were actually able to make a bit of a difference in Amanda's life, that we could give something back to her, even if it is small compared to what she has given to us.

                  And, Amanda, if you should ever stop by and read this, please know that we are behind you 100% of the way, whatever you may decide and whatever may happen. Please know that we adore you and support you no matter what. And, thank you for making such a big difference in my life and for being such an inspiration!

                  I can't really put into words what I want to say, but I think this thread speaks for itself, after all we are almost there: 1,000 pages and 20,000 posts.

                  Sorry, if this turned out a bit too emotional, I just had to...

                  I feel the same way, i've had a very difficault day as i've had both my mother and daughter over for the the day and i've had to "carry on" as normal when all i've kept thinking about is what has come out of Gabit and the sad part is we would have been going to see Amanda but could'nt because it clashed with our holiday.
                  The part that really upset me is that Amanda had to go and ask if she would still be on the show, that is so rude to have done that to her.
                  I hope the TPTB read this and i'm sure many other boards to find the depth of feeling that this news has brought!
                  A very sad fan who's thinking what are the TPTB up to
                  ......TARA......

                  Comment


                    I'm afraid I'm not any calmer than I was last night. And while I am still thoroughly disgusted by the fact that they didn't bother with the courtesy of a phone call (and apparently neither did her longtime friends and co-workers according to CG...so much for the illusion of the wonderful Stargate family of cast and crew)...what's really irking me today is the insipid notion that "they don't know what to do with the character."

                    So whereas my irritation was focused last night on behalf of Amanda (and still is, mind you) this post has to do with Samantha Carter.

                    "They don't know what to do with the character." What an incredibly insipid, arrogant and insulting thing for him to say. He is the executive producer. He can write whatever he wants to write. What, is he fresh out of ideas here? Are we really supposed to swallow that now?

                    We're talking about Carter folks, not some parttime character with little background, development or contributions. Samantha Carter...who defied orders to be with Cassie, who figured out the dialing system, who personally took out several Goa'uld, who wouldn't rest when her friends/loved ones were in danger, who saved earth from being sucked into a black hole, who almost singlehandedly prevented earth from being taken over by the Foothold aliens, who blew up a sun, who swallowed her hatred and worked with Ba'al to get rid of the replicators...and the list goes on and on.

                    She is one of the strongest...if not THE STRONGEST and best written women characters ever in SciFi. She's not just "the girl"...she's a major and integral reason SG-1 had been so successful as a team in doing what they've done throughout the years to rid the galaxy of threats against peace loving people. She is an inspiration for me as a woman to watch because she personifies many of the traits I wish I had and continue to strive for.

                    She is why I continue to watch Stargate SG-1.

                    So now they have Mitchell and they have Vala...and apparently the ideas run fast and furious for the new people...but not for Carter who's been their since Day 1. Nope. That idea well has run bone dry.

                    Is there any particular reason why they can't all be on there at the same time...each contributing their strengths and meshing together as a new entity? Why is it that when it comes to Sam and Vala, it's an either/or proposition? Can they not stand the notion of two strong female leads in the same show??? And why is it that between Carter and Vala, that CARTER be reduced in status to recurring? How on earth does this make any sense whatsoever??? I think the idea of them becoming good friends would have done a lot to end the animosity in fandom regarding these two...but it seems that TPTB are intent on building on that anger, rather than dissepate it.

                    So here we are in an alternate reality where the possibility of a Carterless SG-1 and Vala "taking her place" is actually on the table...and I am dumbfounded by this insanity; and I am wondering if I click my heels together three times whether or not I can return to the warmth of my Kansas farmhouse bed with Auntie Em leaning over to kiss me on the forehead, assuring me that it was all just a silly dream.

                    If only there hadn't been a fish in Jack's lake after all.
                    Last edited by Uber; 30 October 2005, 11:44 AM.

                    ...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

                    Comment


                      Sorry guys . I may have missed the link for the red book to download !!! Where is it again?!!

                      Many thanks


                      And Amanda we love you

                      Good luck on your new show if this is what you really want to do I'll be there


                      Caty

                      Comment


                        I really don't understand the mentality of the folks running SG1 & SGA - for a start they are hopeless at writing female characters but we'll let that slide. Then there was the bumping of everyone in the credits to make room for BB. Now this. That is the rudest most inconsiderate thing I've ever heard. If she goes I won't be watching. I think one of the reasons Valla was so well like was because Carter was not there and the other three/four men were frankly boring. There were three new characters that we had to deal with at the start of this season, and Valla was by far the most interesting and fun. Is it any wonder people liked her with everything else they had to choose from.

                        Comment


                          I think one reason they don't know what to do with sam is because sam is so good. she's no throwaway bimbo like Anise, she's not doing something 'easy' like chevron dude (no offense to walter), she's not like Landry or Hammond....leaders who have been replaced and whose characters are easy to recreate and can be swapped out iwth little effort

                          Sam is an integral part of the show. she's been there since day one and has had an immutable effect on things

                          she can't be replaced or just tossed away. she can't be recast

                          she is one of a kind and irreplacable

                          THAT is why they're having issues with 'what to do with sam'

                          if sam was a nothing character and a throwaway, they wouldn't be having these issues
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?


                          sigpic

                          Comment


                            This is one of those times when, unfortunately, bad things end up happening to really good people. I've gone through and read the last ten pages of posts, and I'm so proud to be a member of this great group, I'm just burstin' at the seams.

                            In the spirit of some of these more emotional confessions I've been seeing, I'd like to add one of my own.

                            I've never been an "online fan" before. In spring of last year, when I joined this forum, and later found this thread, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I was directed here because Sam Carter was my favorite character on Stargate SG-1 and, I talked about her a lot at work, in the studio, and over coffee at Timmies. Ironically, the person who finally directed me to these message boards wasn't even a member of SAmanda. Wasn't even a member of the Stargate fandom (at the time). And I certainly never thought I'd ever see the day when I'd have to admit that I've posted more than three hundred times to a message board online. Wow.

                            From the very beginning of my very first moments in this thread, the folks here have so consistently been just the most generous, kind-hearted people. I simply don't believe I could possibly have found a more welcoming, more wonderful place to take my first forray into what it's like to join the ranks of online fandom.

                            In the past five months, I've made some neat new freinds, been lucky enough to share some really awesome ideas about science fiction in general, and about an outstanding character that I can now say - with all honesty - is one of my all-time favorite fictional entities. Samantha Carter can never truly 'be lost' because (for me, and I think for a lot of the folks around here who see what I see in her character) she is and she will always be a brilliant bastion (for female fans perhaps most especially) of what can be possible. What isn't so far-fetched, after all.

                            When I chose to post a comment to Joe M's blog last night, it wasn't because I was under the (misguided) impression that somehow, network politics could end up thwarted over an empassioned plea. I said what I did because I truly believe that the best way we can show our support for Amanda, is to continue to speak out often and positively about how much we'd miss Sam Carter if she were downplayed in the series (even a little bit). About how much enjoyment and excitement she's brought to fans all over the world, through nearly a decade. And of course - without any question - how TERRIFIC and OUTSTANDING an actress we think Amanda Tapping is. Because without Amanda, there would be no Sam Carter. Her character is as much a national treasure to her fans as Carter herself is to her country. She is a shining example of what a female in sci-fi CAN BE. And Amanda gave her 'life' in that regard. To lose that, even marginally, would be a detriment both to the television world of science-fiction as a genre and to SG-1 as a franchise.

                            When I began watching SG-1, I was so completely and pleasantly surprised by what Sam represented. Carter is a tour-de-force to look up to. She's a scientist, a soldier and a woman. She's got brains and beauty, strength and compassion. And even with all those amazing qualities she didn't turn into a cliche! I'm still not entirely sure how that was even possible, and yet she has never become an unbelievable character. Extraordinary - absolutely - but never for a moment has she been unbelieveable. I think she owes that to Amanda Tapping as much (in my opinion even moreso) than she does to the writing team who derrives her dialogue.

                            As a fan of that spectacular character, I'd be saddened beyond words to see her disappear. But I'd be even more disappointed to realize it had ended up being a result of some (truly cliche) ploy of "Network Interference." Or even worse - as a result of some ridiculous network executive's callous 'physical' commentary stemming from the fact that Amanda Tapping isn't 29 anymore. (And if that makes the rest of you as utterly disgusted to hear about as it made me when the innuendo was raised, then I think we're all on the same page).

                            Sam Carter is an institution to SG-1, and Amanda Tapping is Sam Carter. Not to mention that Amanda has such grace and class as an actress, there's no possible way to replace either her or her character without leaving a great, gaping hole in the Stargate universe.

                            No matter what they have to do to keep her viable, and to keep Amanda on board as a lead in SG-1 - not a victim of some callous off-hand decision-making process - I hope with every fibre of the fan in me, that the executive team at Stargate Productions does it. Because they have also been her colleagues for the previous decade. They, more than anyone, know what she is capable of and what Sam Carter means to SG-1.

                            As some of you know, I work in post-production, so I'm not a stranger to the entertainment industry. But there are always means to bend the board. If the network is putting pressure on SGP, then I would dare to hope they'll fight back against that pressure. I'd dare to hope they will give Amanda (and her character) the support that she deserves after spending a decade of her lifetime with the Stargate family. Business is business, but there are always ways and means.



                            mini(the melancholoy)geek

                            Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
                            ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

                            Comment


                              Originally Posted by UberSG-1Fan:
                              I'm afraid I'm not any calmer than I was last night. And while I am still thoroughly disgusted by the fact that they didn't bother with the courtesy of a phone call (and apparently neither did her longtime friends and co-workers, according to CG above)...what's really irking me today is the insipid notion that "they don't know what to do with the character."
                              Yeah, I'm no calmer today than I was last night either. This whole situation is rather surreal, isn't it? And I don't care if you're a really big fan of any other character or actor, this attitude by the writers has got to be disturbing. If they don't know what to do with Carter, I can't see any big Mitchell or Vala fan having loads of confidence in the stories that are in store for those characters. If they can't spin any ideas for a character with 8 seasons of backstory, then what hope should anyone have that Mitchell and Vala will have actual, authentic original character arcs? The mere idea that these guys, who actually call themselves writers, don't know what to do with Carter is unbelieveable. Then again, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. They obviously couldn't come up with a valid reason for Jack O'neill to suddenly vanish from the story. They obviously aren't capable of writing a logical scenario regarding command of SG-1. Hell, they obviously aren't too capable of writing Mitchell with anything even remotely resembling a personality. Vala, well, Vala has the "she's so hot" personality. Which is apparently as far as anyone up North can see when it comes to her character.

                              I have, by and large, always been one to stick by the writers. And I still think that they did most things right and with class for eight years. But the overall lack of effort put into explaining anything that has happened in season 9 has really forced me to rethink my opinion of the producers. This latest situation is just way over the top, though. What the hell is going on up there?

                              Comment


                                Hello. I´m not really a fan of Sam Carter (but I like her) and see this more from the point of a Atlantis fan (I hope desperatly that no matter what will happen nobody from the Atlantis cast must leave the show because there is no one I want to see go) but I can´t understand why the showrunner tread Amanda Tapping so bad. Not telling an actor who worked 9 years for them the truth but waiting until she is calling them comes very close to an offence.
                                But after the way they have treaded RSF I suppose it´s just the way this studio works (an very unpleasant thought if someone asks me).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X