Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Hey all, sorry I won't be around to celebrate with you this weekend. I'm heading off for a weekend at a cabin in one of our beautiful state parks. I'm hoping for some nice fall color, but the leaves aren't very far along here, so I may be disappointed. Anyway, have a great time, and I look forward to catching up Sunday evening. Many hugs...
    Glad you could drop by before you go, Strix varia. Hope you get more colorful views up there. NYC's trees are taking so much time to flame-on that they'll all be bare before long! Enjoy your respite; we'll be here!

Just sayin', see ya!

Hey, let's get page 969 up now!
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

you know, that could be part of what we perceive as a problem. maybe they DO take amanda forgranted. she's there, always been there, always will be there. she's one of the first on the set and last to leave and i rarely hear folks talking about 'well amanda let us down'...although, to be fair, they don't really say anything negative about anyone

i guess my point is, amanda might be just taken for granted....and since she's new, claudia gets a lot of the praise...and it genders teh feeling that some folks see one actress 'better' than another.

it's nothing deliberate, just that they are so used to her being there that they don't realize what it'd be like if she wasnt'
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

A party, sir? There’s a PARTY? A thousand-page-party? Through there, sir?

But the event horizon...look at this! I mean, the energy the gate must release to create a stable wormhole is…it’s astronomical to use exactly the right word! You can actually see the fluctuation on the event horizon…

Oh, my gosh, he PUSHED me! I hope they have beer and pizza…

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          and IMAGINE how i'd be if sam, in vala's body, had to act like vala *puts on innocent look*
          *nearly spews her soup all over her work monitor

Oh my frellin' heck...that would be HILARIOUS!! I'd love to see Amanda's interpretation of Claudia's Vala! I know Claudia's good at picking up other actors mannerisms (heck, she even got a puppet's manners down) on FS (For those clueless about my ramble, check out the FS eps from S3 "Out of Their Minds")! I'd love to see what Claudia would do with "Sam". teehee!

Great idea Sky!

*all ideas she has have already been brought up
          sigpic
          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
            A party, sir? There’s a PARTY? A thousand-page-party? Through there, sir?

But the event horizon...look at this! I mean, the energy the gate must release to create a stable wormhole is…it’s astronomical to use exactly the right word! You can actually see the fluctuation on the event horizon…

Oh, my gosh, he PUSHED me! I hope they have beer and pizza…

AND talk of CAKE! LOL ! More party pics! Kudos, SamFan31!

Just sayin', come on page 969!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
              Spaz, so well articulated.

I'm the first person to step up to the plate and say it simply does not pay to start a war on a message board, and that walking away is the absolute best thing to do (and the most frustrating for the trolls). But sometimes, when you read something that just baffles the mind, it's really nice to know there's a place where you can stop by and say: can you believe this insanity? - share a smirk or a smile - before you move on with your life.

The difference (I see) in this thread, compared to almost all of the others I've ever seen so far, is that the folks who participate here try very hard not to instigate hatred or negativity, towards anyone, even setting aside the people who do the actual posting, the people here don't instigate hatred towards even the TV Characters, there's a fairly balanced sanity here.

I've personally had a reaction to reading some of the insanity that takes place externally to this forum/thread, and having tried to post a differing point of view I've been called names (in private messaging) and other such nonesense. Obviously, I didn't have a very positive experience in that othter forum as a result (one of them, claiming to be a 'journalist' even PMed me at one point to ream me out for disagreeing with her on an issue). So I stopped posting in that other forum for the most part. But it was soooo nice to be able to come here, as I would with any group of "friends", and say: Hey guys, not for nothing, but can you believe those bozos? I tried posting a simple comment and I got burned alive, what's up with that? Because something like that would never happen here. So it's an aberation, to those of us who try to post fair-mindedly elsewhere, the same way we're (obviously lucky to) be able to here.

This little forum is a little mini family online (which is neat), so when we share our experiences in this fandom (the good and the bad) with one another, I think it's a rare and safe privelege to feel 'safe' enough here to be able to do that, so that we don't end up fighting in a hopeless, silly flame war online. We can come here, share the experince, grab some SAmandan perspective, and take the high road, instead. Group therapy, I guess!

mini
              So right, mini(the positive)geek. Didn't want to snip one word: Them's Royal Party words for sure!

Just sayin', HIC COMITAS REGIT always!
              sigpic

Comment

Okay so it's like 9 p.m. right now in London...and at this very moment Amanda could be holding my thing. She could even take it to her room this evening and pop it into her computer to take a look!!!!!!!!!!!

*dies*

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Okay so it's like 9 p.m. right now in London...and at this very moment Amanda could be holding my thing. She could even take it to her room this evening and pop it into her computer to take a look!!!!!!!!!!!

*dies*

AGH! I'm so excited for you! I'm anxiously awaiting any word from the GABIT people...
                  sigpic

Comment

Wooooo hey people! Please dont be saying "oh good god not her again" but it is indeed me! Just popping on to say a HUGE hi to everyone on this fantabulous thread, I love all you guys so much the work you do is amazing and i hope i can carry on posting more recently than i have been doing in the past! Love and Peace Lauren x x x x
                    Sam and Jack Shipper!

How do you know when a mans gonna say something smart he begins....." a woman once told me"

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1
                      AND talk of CAKE! LOL ! More party pics! Kudos, SamFan31!

Just sayin', come on page 969!
                      CAKE ! Who talked about cake ?

SG1 found a party on the other side of the gate. Sam is trying a new ice cream flavor.

"Sir ! This wormhole ice cream is delicious. Who would imagine the wonders of a frozen kawoosh ! I mean, it melts in the mouth. You should try it. Mmmm !"

Come on Samandans ! Let's party !
                      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

*dies*
                        Does anyone has a sarcophagus for Über ? We don't want to lose our Royal Pain in the Mik'ta and royal Videographer.

Über, I'm crossing fingers and toes for you. Oy ! That hurts.
                        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          I totally understand where you're coming from, tsax!
                          Sense a big "but" coming?
                          BUT... I have to say that, when I first started posting here WAAAY back in December (I think...), I told myself that this would be a short-term thing, and that I would only post every once in a while. There was absolutely NO way that I was as much of a fangirl as these other people! I planned on coming in a few times a month and doing my thing. That was it.
                          Riiiight. Nearly a year later, and I'm still hooked on this place. It's one of very few places where I post here on GW, despite the vast array of discussions. There have been "issues" in the past where we've gotten off-topic, but one of the cool things about Samanda is the fact that we can go off-topic, we can go on tangents, we can have discussions, and eventually - with a nice nudge from Sky - we can get back to the nature of this thread again. We can get back to our roots, so to speak.
                          Samanda is a living, breathing community. I think it's rather unique in comparison to the shipper threads or the thunk threads, because it's multi-faceted, and it has regular "citizens" of all persuasions. The only thing linking us together is our fangirl/fanboy idolization for Amanda Tapping/Sam Carter. Beyond that, there's so much more that we bring to the table!
                          I don't know about anyone else, but this has become a sort of haven for me. And I NEVER thought it would be that way. When there's something going on in the fandom that is just sooo frustrating, it's great knowing that I have allies who are willing to commisserate and come to battle with me - or, with their words of wisdom, put things in perspective for me.
                          I totally understand why you would like us to keep it positive, but I think we've done that so far. 90% of the time, kindness reigns here. And I think, with the amount of people who traverse this thread, that's all we can ask for!
                          Basically, I think Samanda's been fine. The negativity comes with the territory of it being a hiatus, where no one knows what to expect because a new episode hasn't aired, and we're getting conflicting news/spoilers. But, for the most part, with people like you and Sky, I think we can stay on track.
                          I, for one, will do my part in trying to keep the negativity off-thread from here on out.
                          originally posted by minigeek: Spaz, so well articulated.
                          I'm the first person to step up to the plate and say it simply does not pay to start a war on a message board, and that walking away is the absolute best thing to do (and the most frustrating for the trolls). But sometimes, when you read something that just baffles the mind, it's really nice to know there's a place where you can stop by and say: can you believe this insanity? - share a smirk or a smile - before you move on with your life.
                          The difference (I see) in this thread, compared to almost all of the others I've ever seen so far, is that the folks who participate here try very hard not to instigate hatred or negativity, towards anyone, even setting aside the people who do the actual posting, the people here don't instigate hatred towards even the TV Characters, there's a fairly balanced sanity here.
                          I've personally had a reaction to reading some of the insanity that takes place externally to this forum/thread, and having tried to post a differing point of view I've been called names (in private messaging) and other such nonesense. Obviously, I didn't have a very positive experience in that othter forum as a result (one of them, claiming to be a 'journalist' even PMed me at one point to ream me out for disagreeing with her on an issue). So I stopped posting in that other forum for the most part. But it was soooo nice to be able to come here, as I would with any group of "friends", and say: Hey guys, not for nothing, but can you believe those bozos? I tried posting a simple comment and I got burned alive, what's up with that? Because something like that would never happen here. So it's an aberation, to those of us who try to post fair-mindedly elsewhere, the same way we're (obviously lucky to) be able to here.
                          This little forum is a little mini family online (which is neat), so when we share our experiences in this fandom (the good and the bad) with one another, I think it's a rare and safe privelege to feel 'safe' enough here to be able to do that, so that we don't end up fighting in a hopeless, silly flame war online. We can come here, share the experince, grab some SAmandan perspective, and take the high road, instead. Group therapy, I guess!
                          mini
                          I think in this case I'm inclined to agree with spaz and mini. I don't get the feeling that anyone's been particularly negative about other forums lately. However, I respect your opinion too tsax, and to a point I can see what you're getting at. If debating gets too nasty, then it sure isn't worth it, but if you think about it, a lot of debating goes on in life, (ordinary life that is, not internet life, though you're forgiven if you're like me and sometimes ordinary life and internet life merge into one ) and it doesn't always come coupled with negativity.
                          The atmosphere of this thread is different...somehow. I think I've gotten used to it being different, and I love the thread the way it is. It is like a big net family. This doesn't mean that I don't miss some of what the thread was like before. There's heaps of our 'history' that I love reading back through. Of all things, I miss some of the posters who used to be regulars (like you, tsax), and I hope most of you've left because you're busy, not because you're ashamed of Samanda now. Different people bring different aspects to a thread like ours, and as waves of new members come through (and some go again ) our whole flavour changes. That doesn't mean change is bad, only that it's not like it was before. I just realised that it's been almost a year since I began reading the Sam's a Great Character Thread. I always found it the most amazing coincidence, that the first time in my life that I stumble across a messageboard about Stargate, and there's this lovely little thread about my fave character Sam. Of course, it was only about seven pages long back then, but it was enough for me to decide I wanted to join. So a month or so after that, I joined Gateworld, and I joined Gateworld for Samanda. I'm still here on Gateworld, for Samanda. And I'm glad that Samanda has been there for this part of my life.
                          I always thought this kind of thing was for those wild fans who worshipped actors and never missed a con, but Samanda has taught me how one woman can unite a bunch of people, of all ages, of all places, of all interests, and give them something to discuss intelligently and not fancrazily (ok, so it's not a word ). I guess what I'm saying is, you won't be able to get rid of me in a hurry . Nomatter how Samanda changes, I still think it's one of the more amazing places on the net, in comparison to what's out there. If that last comment is taken as 'negativity towards other boards', well, I really apologise. It's not meant like that, especially as I'm only making a generalisation, I'm only trying to point out this board is a little gem in a sea of rough stones.

edit: urgh, I've left this with completely no formatting whatsoever. No paragraphs, anything. deepspace is lazy. sorry.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                            Does anyone has a sarcophagus for Über ? We don't want to lose our Royal Pain in the Mik'ta and royal Videographer.

Über, I'm crossing fingers and toes for you. Oy ! That hurts.
                            Okay I don't know if I told you all what I sent...but here it is.

I sent two letters...because one is never enough. Just kidding. I sent one letter from me to her telling her how wonderful she is, how much I appreciated her and the character she plays and I'm happy to say I kept it under 74 pages.

The second letter was a compilation of the thoughts that I had about TPTB being true to the Carter character with regard to ship...which I was asked to send. Actually, this reminds me...I need to send it to TPTB too since that's what I said in the letter to Amanda. This letter is sealed in an envelope though so she can hold off on reading it for when she's in a mood to do so. (I still say she's kinda burnt out on the topic for the time being).

Thirdly, I included a CD with a movie file of my That Girl video that will play on her computer.

Fourthly, I included a DVD of the video that plays on US/Canadian DVD players as well as her computer (if she's set up to see DVDs on her computer that is). This way she can watch it on her TV with the fam.

I made labels with images from the video for the CD and DVD...then I wrapped everything in a pretty silver bow.

I took everything over to the UPS store on Tuesday and shipped it 2nd Day to London. It cost me $59.34. This plus the cost of all the DVDs I bought (we're talking hundreds of dollars folks) plus the ton of time it took to work on it and therefore wasn't working on paying projects (now we're talking into the hundreds to thousands of dollars)...makes this one of the most expensive gifts I've ever given anyone. Ever. And we're not even on a first name basis.

ChopinGal is graciously hand delivering the gift to her majesty...possibly right at this very moment. I WISH I knew it got there okay and she had no problem picking it up. UPS confirms delivery but I wasn't able to reach her at the hotel.

ACK... I HATE not knowing stuff like this.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              and IMAGINE how i'd be if sam, in vala's body, had to act like vala *puts on innocent look*
                              Traveler Enroute1: My part in the ensuing hysteria:
                              SVala (Sam as Vala)
                              VSam (Vala as Sam)
                              Svala: I TOLD you not to touch that..(trips, looks at herself.) Holy sh--!
                              VSam: Touch what? That - whoooa! What's the matter with me? My legs, my body doesn't work right!
                              SVala: Dammit, Daniel was right, you don't listen! Come on...(trips again, grabs VSam)
                              VSam: What...wait a minute! (stares at Svala, then at herself). What am I, what are you...
                              SVala: Oh NOW you want to listen. That thing I warned you about? It manipulates matter on the cellular level to transpose the basic elements from one living creature into another!
                              VSam: It switches one person into another? But you didn't say that! You just said, don't touch that!
                              SVala: You need an explanation of "don't touch that?"
                              VSam: Well, if you'd said that, I wouldn't have ever touched it, and wind up...like this!
                              SVala: Like what?
                              VSam: Like this, a-a boy! My god, you walk like Mitchell!
                              SVala: Oh, and I like being stuck in this spindly frame used to walking in vamp heels? Give me a break!
                              VSam: Spindly! Female, you mean. I'm wearing combat boots! I've never...
                              (Daniel walks in. VSam runs to him.)
                              VSam: Daniel, tell Samantha Carter I am NOT spindly! You like my body, right?
                              ---
                              I'll have to work on Daniel's reaction! Cool idea!
                              Just sayin'.
                              Vala and Sam switch bodies
                              *deepspace goes very pale as the colour drains out of her face*
                              still, you wrote it very funny, so, jello for you .

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                                I think in this case I'm inclined to agree with spaz and mini. I don't get the feeling that anyone's been particularly negative about other forums lately. However, I respect your opinion too tsax, and to a point I can see what you're getting at. If debating gets too nasty, then it sure isn't worth it, but if you think about it, a lot of debating goes on in life, (ordinary life that is, not internet life, though you're forgiven if you're like me and sometimes ordinary life and internet life merge into one ) and it doesn't always come coupled with negativity.
                                The atmosphere of this thread is different...somehow. I think I've gotten used to it being different, and I love the thread the way it is. It is like a big net family. This doesn't mean that I don't miss some of what the thread was like before. There's heaps of our 'history' that I love reading back through. Of all things, I miss some of the posters who used to be regulars (like you, tsax), and I hope most of you've left because you're busy, not because you're ashamed of Samanda now. Different people bring different aspects to a thread like ours, and as waves of new members come through (and some go again ) our whole flavour changes. That doesn't mean change is bad, only that it's not like it was before. I just realised that it's been almost a year since I began reading the Sam's a Great Character Thread. I always found it the most amazing coincidence, that the first time in my life that I stumble across a messageboard about Stargate, and there's this lovely little thread about my fave character Sam. Of course, it was only about seven pages long back then, but it was enough for me to decide I wanted to join. So a month or so after that, I joined Gateworld, and I joined Gateworld for Samanda. I'm still here on Gateworld, for Samanda. And I'm glad that Samanda has been there for this part of my life.
                                I always thought this kind of thing was for those wild fans who worshipped actors and never missed a con, but Samanda has taught me how one woman can unite a bunch of people, of all ages, of all places, of all interests, and give them something to discuss intelligently and not fancrazily (ok, so it's not a word ). I guess what I'm saying is, you won't be able to get rid of me in a hurry . Nomatter how Samanda changes, I still think it's one of the more amazing places on the net, in comparison to what's out there. If that last comment is taken as 'negativity towards other boards', well, I really apologise. It's not meant like that, especially as I'm only making a generalisation, I'm only trying to point out this board is a little gem in a sea of rough stones.

edit: urgh, I've left this with completely no formatting whatsoever. No paragraphs, anything. deepspace is lazy. sorry.
                                OH NO, DEEPSPACE. No formatting??? Have you never encountered the ENTER key??? What kind of cruel gal are ya?????? This may cause me to dish out my very first DING.

Oh wait...there's a problem...I don't ding people. Okay then, how about I write something mean and nasty about you here then?

Whoops. I can't do that either. I don't have a mean or nasty bone in my body and even if I did I couldn't come up with a mean or nasty thing to say about you...and furthermore, KINDNESS REIGNS HERE; so, both mean and nasty are out.

Okay then how about I settle for a (((((((((((((deepspace))))))))))))))

Great post.

Comment

Working...
                                X