Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Do you think that statement is just spin?
    yes
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      the emu. hands down
      The emu as the new big kickass villain is way cooler. Hallowed is the Emu ! Bow before the Emu !
      Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Why do contract negotiations make you nervous, particularly given that they say they don't expect any changes in the regular cast? Do you think that statement is just spin?
        I expect that statement to be as accurate as the delight they exuded last year over the fact that they didn't have to worry about Sony et al to get involved in making decisions for the show and that the show would have the same feel as it did in the "good ol' days" and that we would absolutely LOVE the new direction the show was taking.

Hmm...that's funny. It looks like I don't believe them at all then, does it?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I expect that statement to be as accurate as the delight they exuded last year over the fact that they didn't have to worry about Sony et al to get involved in making decisions for the show and that the show would have the same feel as it did in the "good ol' days" and that we would absolutely LOVE the new direction the show was taking.

too funny! I thought the same thing.

EDIT: I keep wondering if I'm seeing the same show the writers/producers did or if there is a version lying on the editing room floor.

Sorry to all those that are loving the new season. I really do envy you, because you are able to enjoy the show more than I do. Oh those were the good o days. On the upside there has been a couple of episodes that I have liked. I am still holding out hope that I will like the 2nd half of the season. TPTB keep saying I will.
          Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 24 October 2005, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Um... well... I don't know that we have any definitive evidence that Sony is involved in the decision making... lots and lots of speculation, yes... and I'll admit to leanings in that direction myself, particularly about the whole Ben Browder over-the-top push, but... proof? Could be a collective brain fart on the part of TPTB. What's the old saying? Never attribute to malice what can be explained by simple poor judgement. Or something like that.

And some people do LOVE the new direction. All TPTB need to do to justify their decisions is spend five minutes surfing other places that shall go unnamed. Time and ratings will tell if their decisions were wise for the continuation of the series. At what point will upset fans stop watching?

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
              Just wanted to say hi to everyone in Samanda. I've been away for quite awhile and I'm still not really ready to return full time, but I did want to say how much I've missed you all and Amanda. Glad to see the "love" is still here.

HIC COMITAS REGIT
              Hey Lida! I couldn't green you. Weird... Anyway, we're glad to see ya back!

Now, to clarify my feelings for Death Knell (and Desperate Measures):

I think it's awesome that Sam was able to stay alive for all of that time on her own. As with any character (but specifically those who are women, because they don't really take a lot of heat like guys sometimes), I like to see how resourceful they can be on their own. At some point, a person really does have to change their expectations and behavior. And when female actors, who co-star with male actors, are given meaty opportunities like this, it's good to see them take it... well, like a man.

As has been discussed on GW before, there seems to be some kind of universal social taboo against having women punched, slapped or kicked, unless it's meant to represent male chauvinism/domestic violence/etc. It's understandable (to an extent), but seems to limit the "whumping" a certain character will endure in comparison to the others.

Anywho... Though I'm not a fan of 100 Days, and I don't think Jack should've given up so stinkin' quickly, if he had been there for a bit longer, his behavior would be more acceptable to me (even *gulp* the dreaded Laira issues ). Of course, this is on a much lesser scale than, say, being alone on a planet, fighting for your life against an indestructable creature...

I love that Jack and Teal'c were there for Sam when she needed them most, and I love that Daniel was ticked off at the stupid Tok'ra and Jaffa for being so incredibly dense, and said so. SG-1 really is about the team and saving each other and being there for each other. *Cue corny dramatic music*

But there's something off about Jack - a man who supposedly has feelings for Sam - coming in during the last 10 minutes of her plight to save her from the Super Soldier. I don't think it takes away from all that she accomplished in that episode, but because of the potential shippy undertones, others might've looked at it as The Knight In Shining Armor coming in on his white horse to save the Damsel in Distress from imminent Doom. Does that make sense?

And I'm not a fem-bot, I swear.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                And to add more fuel to the fire: from The Stargate Sg1-Soultions site:

admin said,

October 24, 2005 at 7:41 am

And Solutions’ money is on Claudia Black joining the permanent, regular cast as Vala Mal Doran.

Here’s hoping we soon have confirmation from an official source (they *always* lag behind the rest of the web on these ‘exclusives’) on not just the renewal for Season 10 but the wonderfully welcome and much hoped for addition of Claudia Black to the cast!

----------

I'd hate to see if Ms. Black decides to be a recurring actor, instead of a regular. Why? Because this group will turn against her in a minute. And I like Ms. Black, yes I've seen Pitch Black, Queen of the Damned, and a few FS episodes. So sue me.
                Honey, I won't hate you. I like Vala and Sam and I don't want either to suffer because of the other. I just hope that the overzealous "John & Aeryn" fans don't come to Gateworld clammering for "Cam and Vala"...as I'd much rather see what Ben and Claudia can do SEPERATE from each other. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching them together (as much as I could, considering that Ben reminds me of one of my older bros - no I do NOT have a bro that looks like Ben, he just acts like one of my bros)...but honestly I want to see more of them as seperate entities and not a "couple". Been there done that, thank you!

However, unless SGPTB tone down Vala just a wee bit, get rid of some of the sexual innuendos mostly (for me) and give her more depth than we've seen. If that can't happen, them bring her back as a semi-regular like Jacob/Selmack and other such characters.
                sigpic
                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                  As has been discussed on GW before, there seems to be some kind of universal social taboo against having women punched, slapped or kicked, unless it's meant to represent male chauvinism/domestic violence/etc. It's understandable (to an extent), but seems to limit the "whumping" a certain character will endure in comparison to the others.
                  True, and I just don't get it.

Speaking of whumping, last night I finished the new Fandemonium novel, The Cost of Honor, written by Sally Malcolm, sequel to A Matter of Honor. I thought it was really good... had to read it in one sitting, in fact. And, happily, it has lots of character whumping, including some of the best Sam-whumping I've had the pleasure of reading.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    yep, that'll be the issue

vala the vamp is not sustainable. and no, i'm not saying this to bash her, i'm simply making the observation that her OTT acting is not something the average fan will tolerate on a weekly basis.

which means they have two options

keep vala OTT, keep her spouting what some see as 'bad' dialogue. make her little more than a pretty face in a tight costume...and reap the criticism for doing that

tone her town. make her more 'normal'. make her fit in better.

Neither option will pan out well. Vala the Vamp will be highly criticized. and Toned Down Vala....well she'll be seen as a pale reflection of the vala folks have professed to have fallen in love with

it's a lose/lose and miss black will be caught in the middle
                    Sadly, I don't really blame Claudia for the OTT acting...that's the directors job, rein in the over the topness.

Sadly, I'm with ya on your comments, UNLESS there's a writer that can tone Vala down without loosing some of her fun qualities. I think they were headed that way until Vala took her leave of the universe.

I'd hate to see Claudia stuck in the middle of a fan war as she seems to me, the few times I've seen her at cons, to be a very private person and I'd hate to see her feeling bad cause fans are rippin' her (and you know some would) apart because of Vala.
                    sigpic
                    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                      Honey, I won't hate you. I like Vala and Sam and I don't want either to suffer because of the other. I just hope that the overzealous "John & Aeryn" fans don't come to Gateworld clammering for "Cam and Vala"...as I'd much rather see what Ben and Claudia can do SEPERATE from each other. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching them together (as much as I could, considering that Ben reminds me of one of my older bros - no I do NOT have a bro that looks like Ben, he just acts like one of my bros)...but honestly I want to see more of them as seperate entities and not a "couple". Been there done that, thank you!

However, unless SGPTB tone down Vala just a wee bit, get rid of some of the sexual innuendos mostly (for me) and give her more depth than we've seen. If that can't happen, them bring her back as a semi-regular like Jacob/Selmack and other such characters.

Oh no. I meant that if she wishes to be a recurring player she'll bear the brunt of "blacklash" with this group. I didn't mean anything else. The wordmasters passed on me me today.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
                        "blacklash"
                        Good pun
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          Sorry... I'm not gonna pick just one, OK?

ITLOD - Heh heh. Duh. Enough said there.

Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know/Seth - All three had mondo opportunities to expound on the effects of Jolinar's blending with Sam, but alas, it was not to be. Had they taken that opportunity, we would've seen Sam dig deeper, trying to decide which characteristics were solely hers, and which ones she shared. And I don't just mean her affection for Martouf, either.

Foothold - Sam held her own in a crazy situation. Like Hathor, this was an ep that showed a relatively green Sam handle a situation quite well, and without hesitation. In between the Commando!Sam eps and the gun-toting Sam eps, we're always given quite a bit of Scientist Sam, so eps like these are great in reinforcing the military half of her character.

Divide and Conquer - As a shipper, I find this episode to be very telling. Whether you like ship or not, it was the canon first step to bringing in this new complicated story arc. For me, both Scientist Sam (Dr. Carter) and Soldier Sam (Major Carter) took a back seat to Samantha Carter.

Ascension - All "intimacy" aside, this opened Sam up to possibilities that were/are outside of her realm of understanding. I guess we'll never know what Orlin did to Sam, but perhaps it allowed her to accept the concept of ascension and the Ancients a little better - whatever it was. It also allowed for some potential conflict between the team - again, something that was never explored. Ho hum.

Death Knell - Survivor Sam reared her head in this episode, and gave us insight into how resourceful Sam can be without the comfort of her team and the confidence that comes with being in top physical form. And, while it's perfectly human for her to have given up right there at the end, I wish that they would've stopped writing JACK as the one to "save" her (i.e. Desperate Measures)... As shippy as it is, it still kinda irks me.

Grace - This has Survivor Sam save herself, so that's nice. Besides the intensely personal aspect of Sam, we saw Sam function for days with a concussion. And she managed to save the Prometheus Crew when it was all said and done, which was a bonus. I'll just forget that the emergence of Chimera (and subsequently Affinity) can be blamed on this episode...

I'm sure there are more that I missed, but these are the ones that I've come up.

ON EDIT: I just realized that some of this was a bit negative. Sorry!

I loved those episodes as well!!!

I have two that I will add

Singularity - It showed her compassion! She stayed with Cassie the entire time acting as her "security blanket" after the little girl not only lost her family but her entire planet. Then she refused to leave Cassie. Sam kicking the elevator wall crying is my favorite Sam moment. I know it's a sad moment, but I cried right along with her. Hey if an actor can bring me tears, and make me feel what they are feeling, then they are doing a great job!! I was spoiled for heroes the week (the very week *cringe*) before so I knew what was coming. (still a sad scene).

Solitudes - Sam alone on a planet with Jack... oh wait this is the one Jack was in a lot of pain and dying I still really liked this episode ... Sam constantly fought to get home and take care of her CO with their limited supplies. I know some people think Sam gave up, but come on realistically. How long can you live only on water and no fire to keep you warm? You have no idea why the Stargate will not work. The problem is obviously on your end because the gate will not even turn. There is no way she could have thought she was on EARTH. Daniel didn't even think about it until the small earthquake triggered his memory of the early days of using the gate. Sam had a lot of weight on her young shoulders. I thought she handled it very well. We saw her struggle throughout and constantly fighting to the very end when there was nothing left for her to do.

Comment

True, and I just don't get it.

Speaking of whumping, last night I finished the new Fandemonium novel, The Cost of Honor, written by Sally Malcolm, sequel to A Matter of Honor. I thought it was really good... had to read it in one sitting, in fact. And, happily, it has lots of character whumping, including some of the best Sam-whumping I've had the pleasure of reading.
                            Feel free to spoil since I live in the States and refuse to roll out the cash for overseas shipping/etc.

I love my Stargate, but if I can't find it in my neighborhood Barnes & Noble or Borders, I'll live.

Spoil away!

Comment

Um... well... I don't know that we have any definitive evidence that Sony is involved in the decision making... lots and lots of speculation, yes... and I'll admit to leanings in that direction myself, particularly about the whole Ben Browder over-the-top push, but... proof? Could be a collective brain fart on the part of TPTB. What's the old saying? Never attribute to malice what can be explained by simple poor judgement. Or something like that.

And some people do LOVE the new direction. All TPTB need to do to justify their decisions is spend five minutes surfing other places that shall go unnamed. Time and ratings will tell if their decisions were wise for the continuation of the series. At what point will upset fans stop watching?
                              The last episode with Sam will be the last episode for me.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by SunKrux
                                I'd hate to see Claudia stuck in the middle of a fan war as she seems to me, the few times I've seen her at cons, to be a very private person and I'd hate to see her feeling bad cause fans are rippin' her (and you know some would) apart because of Vala.
                                I'd hate to see any actor/actress stuck in that position.

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X