Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i'm personally feeling that things are rather stirred up in vancouver.

i have a funny feeling that - and again this is only my opinion - all is not well. maybe skiffy is pusing for things that bridge doesnt' want. maybe they're pushing for changes that the actors don't want. maybe they're all holding out for something that we'll never know

my point is, despite thinking that s10 is an absolute and that th ings will go on status quo, maybe there are things going on behind the scenes that the fans have no idea of
    i have this feeling too.

i've been in online fandom since the middle of the fourth season. and regarding this season, i've *never* seen this amount of criticism aimed at this show. when sides came out for the last (or second to last) ep... it was literally universally disliked. i've never seen that before.

i really believe that all is not well... and i have mixed feelings on that. *my* three fave aspects of this show (sam, s/j ship, jack) are having huge issues for me to deal with this season. so hoping/looking forward to another season... i'm having trouble finding the interest.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      i'm personally feeling that things are rather stirred up in vancouver.

i have a funny feeling that - and again this is only my opinion - all is not well. maybe skiffy is pusing for things that bridge doesnt' want. maybe they're pushing for changes that the actors don't want. maybe they're all holding out for something that we'll never know

my point is, despite thinking that s10 is an absolute and that th ings will go on status quo, maybe there are things going on behind the scenes that the fans have no idea of

Maybe the Friday night repeats/replays for S9 aren't going well ratings-wise
      and Skiffy is having second thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        if it's not too late, here's another question to ask amanda at gabit --

did sam and orlin have *sex* in season 5's 'ascension'? and if not, why was the impression given that they did in season 9's 'fourth horseman'? and if they didn't, then what was meant by intimate in 'fourth horseman'?

sally
        lol, havn't we been through this before?

MY view on that is that while its possible that they did (god knows she deserved it after being basically celibate for 5 years ) I dont think that the word 'intimate' necessarly means she had a sexual relationship with Orlin. BUT I have no doubt that Landry and Lam both assumed it. Which I thought was an interesting little character trait for the both of them (the fact that they automatically assumed that intimate = sex for Sam and Orlin). I'm thinking that both Landry and Lam have never really been in a fulfilling relationship before.

Answers.com definition of Intimate. The word intimate by no means only refers to a sexual relationship, and there is a heap of definitions there that could equally (and possibly even more likely) suit the kind of thing that Sam and Orlin had going.

But I would like to hear what Amanda would have to say about it

Comment

spoilers for s8's moebius

Originally posted by Qasim
          I have also been considering this a lot lately - tptb have seriously messed up a number of things this year and sometimes you think the show is in an alternate reality
          gawd, wouldn't that be funny?

it's actually something i'd considered, though, because of the screwy things going on. maybe that
          Spoiler:
          fish jumping out of jack's pond in moebius 2 really *was* the screwed up/alternate reality???

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
            Maybe the Friday night repeats/replays for S9 aren't going well ratings-wise
            and Skiffy is having second thoughts?
            I know I haven't watched the repeats of S9 - didn't even watch the 2nd airing of the initial episodes. However...and I wish I didn't have to say this...Stargate is one of Skiffy's more popular draws. Or maybe it's not anymore. NBC Universal, the owners of SciFi, are all about ratings...ask any fan of West Wing, ER, etc. Sure, the 1.9 or 2.0 ratings are considered solid for cable. I just wonder if someone (Skiffy, TPTB, etc) thought that RDA's leaving wouldn't hurt the franchise.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              i guess its very likely that skiffy or sony sees the opportunity here for a big franchise to take off. perhaps sony are looking to compete with paramount here, gate v. trek, so to speak. unfortunately, if this is the case, they are going about it the wrong way. i hope gate doesn't get to the point for me where i start to think they should have ended it in season... whenever.
              happened with the x-files for me, happened to an extent with friends, happened with voyager. i really hope it doesn't happen with stargate.
              it's kind of happened for me with stargate already...

but i'm still holding on.......

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Going along the lines of X-Files....and I've never watched X-Files...

Wasn't the demise of the show when the leading man left the show?

If so, I see an interesting parallel here...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                  Going along the lines of X-Files....and I've never watched X-Files...

Wasn't the demise of the show when the leading man left the show?

If so, I see an interesting parallel here...
                  The parallel goes further...

I think the last seasons of TXF could have been good if they'd made a clean break. Instead, Scully was kept in a reduced role, the ship was screwed with, and DD's absence loomed over the show. If they'd given M&S a happy sendoff and focused on a new dynamic between Doggett & Reyes, I think it could have had a shot. By not taking a clear direction, it all got muddled.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Daniel: "Jack? Um, please tell me you forgot we're all still standing here - covering you, just like you ordered - when you decided to just go and - do that?"

Last edited by Simhavaktra; 23 October 2005, 07:15 PM.
                    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

If it isn’t too late in the game for potential GABIT questions, I have a sort of “elicit what’s on Amanda Tapping’s mind with regards to Sam Carter” (overachieving in all things verbose is a personal failing ::erase! erase!:: mission) inquiry –

Knowing what you, yourself, know, is there anything that you would like to say, or any advice that you, Amanda Tapping would like to give to Samantha Carter if the two of you should somehow meet? (well, beyond the obvious “Please keep in mind that in my alternate universe, I’m an actor – a very good one, true, but still – an actor who plays one of the world’s pre-eminent astrophysicists on TV!)

...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, for anyone that doesnt get out of this thread much , Martin Wood has reportedly confirmed that SciFi have picked up SG1 and SGA for another season each

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=19342

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          I'm sorry ... am I missing something here (re: JM's argument about leadership qualities)?! It's a very weak position to state that RDA brought "only a self-deprecating sense of humor" to his role of Jack O'Neill. O'Neill was former black-ops, honorably "retired", and had the very important experience of going through the original Stargate to fight RA. Good Lord, this is an answer to a well-placed question that leaves a lot to be desired.

And since when did other SG teams have inexperienced leaders going off-world? Weren't all these teams especially recruited and trained for Stargate travel and missions? When the Russian soldier wanted to join the team, Jack refused him because he did not have the necessary experience for SGC.

I'm disappointed in JM's reasoning and answer.
                          It looks like how others defended the decision. I didn't buy it then, and I don't buy it now.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal
                            The parallel goes further...

I think the last seasons of TXF could have been good if they'd made a clean break. Instead, Scully was kept in a reduced role, the ship was screwed with, and DD's absence loomed over the show. If they'd given M&S a happy sendoff and focused on a new dynamic between Doggett & Reyes, I think it could have had a shot. By not taking a clear direction, it all got muddled.
                            Isn't that another example of producers vs. network? Specifically towards the end? That's troubling, despite my beliefs about "give-and-take" between the two entities.

I was obsessed with the show during its last three years, although I was completely oblivious to the beauty/horror of online fandom. Had I known that there was a place where I could actually learn more about the show through other fans... well, let's just say that I would've become a fan of SG-1 a lot sooner, I'm sure.

Comment

hey ive been away for a bit and spent the last hour trying to catch up . i agree with every post nearly amanda is a brill actress she just brings so much to the character she makes u believe she could do u some serious damages as soilder sam but then she does that eye thing where she lets u know so much that theres this soft nurturing side . just brilliant

i think one of my fav eps is grace i know everyone isnt that keen on it but in that ep we see nearly everyside of sam, the soilder : sorting her rations, being the soilder , trying to solve the problem is obviously her scientist side
                              when jacob is talking to her and she is cryin at what he says she's his little girl and what he says hits home
                              and then talking to jack the one person she loves but cant talk to but he lets her know that its ok that he;s not going anywhere just the range of emotions in that ep is fantastic but my fave bit is the ending when jack is waiting for her to wake up and then they make some silly small talk and you just know what he truely wants to say , that he was worried that he wouldnt see her again etc and he leave and twinkle twinkle little star is played

ok well thats my little rant over with

Comment

i do think we have a game of network vs producers going on.

now i have nothing but my personal impressions, but when you look back at all the changes that started in s7 and realize that the only thing that really changed was the folks writing the paychecks, it seems to be rather obvious that there is interferance

the bad thing about this is.....producers -usually - know how to make a tv show. network execs barely know how to find their offices.

they get tied up with poll numbers and ratings and focus groups...none of which are a real and accurate representation of the viewing public

it's kinda likethe analogy of the insurance companies telling doctors how to treat a patient. yeah, sure the insurance companies may have a ton of research...but they don't have the knowledge or experience necessary
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X