Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alittletoolate
    Hello.

Haven't been around for a while. Can't keep up with forums really, too much going on in my own head and life but thought I'd drop as Season 9 just started and I'm getting ansty for Sam already.

My offerings today, magazine scans of an interview with AT. You've probably heard all this, read this but I offer it anyway. Spoilers for everything.

Amanda Tapping - TV Zone #194
    Cover http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/atcover.jpg
    1 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at1.jpg
    2 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at2.jpg
    3 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at3.jpg
    4 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at4.jpg
    5 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at5.jpg

x x
    Thank you!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      hey, maybe in the first episode of season 10, bobby, i mean jack, will step out of the shower, and season 9 will have been nothing but a bad dream!
      If there is a "reset", one could only hope they go as far back as Gamekeeper.
      That way the past 7 year are in VR.

Comment

i think that was implied!
        Sorry. Thanks to TPTB, I have no tolerance left for implication.

Comment

Originally posted by parsifal

... Oh, and before Jack stepped out, Sam would step into the shower.
          Gosh, hang around a bit ... I have Jack and Sam shower scenes in the first two chapters of my new fic, Heat.

Strix has inspired me to start writing again. I don't have a laptop, so will take my trusty legal pad and best pen on plane to London and, maybe, the Muse will continue to inspire. Last time I wrote because I wanted to see Sam really go at it with Fifth (ahem, not in the shower!) ... this time I want Sam and Jack to go on one last mission together before he leaves for Washington. Heck, if we can't get resolution on the telly, then let's keep writing!

This could be the winter of our discontent.

Oh, thanks for the well wishes, Sky! I'm flying to London on Wed night; Coley and 1speed are driving down on Thursday afternoon. We're planning a get-acquainted dinner Thursday night. Lordy, the Royal Accountant and Security Guard and Jester all at one table ... that should be quite an event in itself!

The next day begins the GABIT festivities. I'm in the fifth row for the Q&A panels and I think Coley and 1speed are five rows back. About 400 fans are expected, plus dogs (Amanda's favorite charity)! We all are bringing fairly good cameras and Coley even has a zoom ... so we'll be thinkin' about all of you and trying to do our best to capture the weekend and bottle it up (RA's bringing some of her empty sloe-gin bottles) and bring it back to share!

We're hoping Kat will be able to join us after all. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by alittletoolate
            Hello.

Haven't been around for a while. Can't keep up with forums really, too much going on in my own head and life but thought I'd drop as Season 9 just started and I'm getting ansty for Sam already.

My offerings today, magazine scans of an interview with AT. You've probably heard all this, read this but I offer it anyway. Spoilers for everything.

Amanda Tapping - TV Zone #194
            Cover http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/atcover.jpg
            1 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at1.jpg
            2 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at2.jpg
            3 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at3.jpg
            4 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at4.jpg
            5 http://escapingreality.net/bluejello/scans/at5.jpg

x x

Yes, Thank you very much also.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
              If there is a "reset", one could only hope they go as far back as Gamekeeper.
              That way the past 7 year are in VR.
              aw, i liked most of the last 7 years.
              and game keeper is my second or third least fave ep ever.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                Bit of a GEEK!Sam dissertation on the way, lol

All these photos got me thinking about GEEK!Sam. I know some of us have very firm character theories about the differences between OUR Sam Carter and the GEEK!Sam Carter we saw in Moebius, so hopefully I won't stomp on anyone's toenails with my opinion.

The thing I've seen come up a lot is the discussion of how different the two characters are (which is true) but I think GEEK!Sam gave us a really neat idea of what STRONG!Sam (our Sam) is really insecure about, on a basic level.

Our Sam had a different upbringing than GEEK!Sam, since she had her father to set an example for her and to look up to. But there were some neat moments (and lines) that G!Sam had which I thought were telling. The notion that, at times she felt as though she was doing 'other people's homework' while they took the credit - and the notion that the only kind of guys she attracted were the kind that, shall we say, wouldn't have been on any champion sports team-unless there were pocket protectors involved!

She had a great line when Jack told her he thought she was 'hot' - she said "You're not the kind of guy I usually attract." Now, we all believed that about GEEK!Sam, given her lack of self-esteem, but what about (to a lesser degree) OUR Sam? I think that was telling for her, too, because I think her intelligence would intimidate the hell out of a lot of the (more 'macho-sect' guys who make up a great deal of the stereotypical military comando core). I think that's part of the reason she ended up making bad choices when it came to men (ie Jonas Hanson), because she herself found that type of man inaccessible, to some degree. There was a small part of her that knew she scared off a lot of guys, and she was never attracted to the "science geek" type of guy, herself, so when a guy like Jonas showed interest in her, she'd automatically find that more flattering than if, say someone like McKay did. Lets look at this realistically. No one with Sam Carter's brains would have gone through adolescence as captain of the cheerleading team; aka the girl dating the highschool quarterback. It just wouldn't happen, because kids are notorious for being less than charitable to the "smart ones". Her looks notwithstanding, someone like Jonas Hanson, for example, would almost certainly end up being the kind of guy who wanted a fairly superficial relationship. As ended up being the case.

I think OUR Sam has a lot of the same (latent) insecurities as GEEK!Sam did, but to a lesser degree, and of course not as overtly. As a Sam/Jack shipper, I also think that's part of the reason that she's been so reticent for so many years - regs aside - of expressing her feelings to Jack. Because she remembers what happened with Joans, and guys like Jack simply don't "fall" for her, in amy meaningful way. I think that's also the reason she was so taken with Pete so quickly and why she was so proud to tell everyone that "he's a cop". Because that right there made him NOT a science geek.

Just a few cents to throw into the Sam Carter analysis pile! But something I was thinking about for a while.

mini
                Right on matey!! I'd green you, but I'm locked out of the jello fridge.

*shakes fist at fridge* DAMN YOU FRIDGE!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Gosh, hang around a bit ... I have Jack and Sam shower scenes in the first two chapters of my new fic, Heat.

Strix has inspired me to start writing again. I don't have a laptop, so will take my trusty legal pad and best pen on plane to London and, maybe, the Muse will continue to inspire. Last time I wrote because I wanted to see Sam really go at it with Fifth (ahem, not in the shower!) ... this time I want Sam and Jack to go on one last mission together before he leaves for Washington. Heck, if we can't get resolution on the telly, then let's keep writing!

This could be the winter of our discontent.

Oh, thanks for the well wishes, Sky! I'm flying to London on Wed night; Coley and 1speed are driving down on Thursday afternoon. We're planning a get-acquainted dinner Thursday night. Lordy, the Royal Accountant and Security Guard and Jester all at one table ... that should be quite an event in itself!

The next day begins the GABIT festivities. I'm in the fifth row for the Q&A panels and I think Coley and 1speed are five rows back. About 400 fans are expected, plus dogs (Amanda's favorite charity)! We all are bringing fairly good cameras and Coley even has a zoom ... so we'll be thinkin' about all of you and trying to do our best to capture the weekend and bottle it up (RA's bringing some of her empty sloe-gin bottles) and bring it back to share!

We're hoping Kat will be able to join us after all. Fingers crossed!

Hey! I have another GABIT question if it's not too late?

Can you ask Amanda if she likes emus?

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                    I think given Sam's age (around AT's age) she would have been graduating the AF Academy only a few years behind the very first women to be admitted to the AFA. I would think that initially she'd have run into a good amount of resistance from men who didn't want her there just because of her gender. They didn't even know about her intellect at that point - she was a woman and she was in their turf. Then once she proved to them she was entirely capable of any physical feat they were, then she probably would have had to have dealt with overt and subtle digs at her exploding intellect by men and women harboring jealousy and envy. She was forced into bringing to the forefront of her personality her latent strength and courage.

It would explain the reproductive organ quip in CoTG. I think she was coming to the SGC after years constantly proving and defending herself against naysayers and hatemongers of the Academy and the AF and Jack was just another cocky pilot/Colonel out to make jokes at her expense and she was going to call him out on it & make him & the others respect her on her merits, not her gender.

After pushing herself so hard to move beyond that kind of stress and resentment, if Jonas H. showed her the slightest decency and some charm and respect at the beginning of her ship with him, I think she probably welcomed his attentions. Sort of how she welcomed Pete later for similar but different reasons....
                    Wow. Eloquent post. Thanks.
                    Our Sam, forged in the fires of the US Air Force Academy. And she's not considered to lead SG-1. Oh, wait...

Just sayin'.

My edit: Drat, the green chips won't fall again! Here's some anyway-
                    Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 23 October 2005, 04:02 PM.
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Wooohooo!!!!

Commando!Sam leads Teal'c and a group of triggerhappy SG teammates though the gate to rescue Daniel.

[
                      Commando!Sam orders Soren to drop his weapon...as Teal'c and Daniel take aim.
                      [/CENTER]

Gotta love Commando!Sam!!! Can we have some more of her???

I broke open my season 8 (region 1) DVDs and the highlight of the Icon commentary for me was a mention of AT--read at your own risk
                      Spoiler:
                      it was Amanda's idea for Sam to do the hand signals that we love so much!

Comment

aw, i liked most of the last 7 years.
                        and game keeper is my second or third least fave ep ever.

So have I. Iwas trying to make a joke that backfired violently. Sorry, but at least I owned up to it.

ETA- As apposed to TPTB that will never own up to anything.
                        Last edited by LaCroix; 23 October 2005, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                          I broke open my season 8 (region 1) DVDs and the highlight of the Icon commentary for me was a mention of AT--read at your own risk
                          Spoiler:
                          Hmm ... just another example of a smart-thinkin' woman taking charge!

BTW, has anyone seen any more from Sony/MGM regarding returning the Threads DVD from the boxed set in region 1 for the correct 90-minute version?! I have the boxed set too but have not yet opened, thinking I may have to return it.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                            Bit of a GEEK!Sam dissertation on the way, lol

All these photos got me thinking about GEEK!Sam. I know some of us have very firm character theories about the differences between OUR Sam Carter and the GEEK!Sam Carter we saw in Moebius, so hopefully I won't stomp on anyone's toenails with my opinion.
                            mini
                            Very interesting post--forgive me for snipping in the interest of space.
                            I wonder if GeekSam lost both her mother and father early and so sort of had no one in her corner-- no one to boost her self confidence. Perhaps no brother to grieve with? (of course our Sam seems to get her perfectionism from apparently never being able to please her father growing up.) GeekSam didn't join the military, which for some people can ultimately be a confidence booster. She had the brains, but let people like her boss walk all over her. Until, of course, her introduction to the Stargate where she begins to blossom, if you will. Fork in the road stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Hmm ... just another example of a smart-thinkin' woman taking charge!

BTW, has anyone seen any more from Sony/MGM regarding returning the Threads DVD from the boxed set in region 1 for the correct 90-minute version?! I have the boxed set too but have not yet opened, thinking I may have to return it.
                              No word I've heard. I've decided to take the chance that we can return one disk with a receipt. Watch--they announce it tomorrow and say you need an unopened package.
                              I watched the New Order commentary with the director and Gary Jones and
                              Spoiler:
                              am sad to say they talked right over Amanda's big emotional scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                                Spoiler:
                                Yup...and I loved it!

Maybe...just MAYBE they should listen to her a bit more.

Just a thought.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X