Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal
    see, when i talk to such an open minded and curtious fan, it helps to bring out my non-defensive thoughts on a matter.

i'd love to see some sam-vala interaction. and since sam's a woman (and one that had been through a similar experience with her jolinar thinger), the sexual side of vala would be pulled back and we'd just get to see the *real* person behind the makeup. i could see sam bringing out that serious side of vala because they have a HUGE thing in common. a huge thing that literally destroyed both. and changed both permanently. now *that's* something interesting to see!
    Thanks.

I don't really have a problem with the sexual side of Vala, it's a defense. She uses it to keep people from seeing the real pain she's been through (ya know, the whole gou'ald thing being removed by the Tok'ra). I hope they eventually - should Vala come back - will cut down on some of that, as she becomes more comfortable with the team and they with her. I don't want too much of Vala to go away, but tone it down, yes.

I think Sam and Vala would have much to talk about and Vala could give Sam some pointers on landing Jack. *ducks flying objects hurling her way LOL Sorry, couldn't resist. Come on ya gotta admit that Sam doesn't appear to have much confidence when it comes to dating and love.
    sigpic
    I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jerin
      You're always welcomed here. I hope you know that. I tried to give you green jello, but it seems I'm all out. Sorry about the creepy stalker people you have to deal with. I am very respectful of people's space & privacy, & just don't understand when others aren't. (Shakes head).
      It's all good. I just shake my head at them and walk away, laughing cause it's silly. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of actors/actresses that I admire and get a wee bit fangirlish near them (me meeting Francesca Buller {Ben Browder's wife & guest star extrodinaire on FS} last year at the FS con. LOL ) then I remind myself one very important thing that some fans tend to forget....actors/actresses are PEOPLE first and foremost. They just have frella cooler jobs than most.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        wow! a sane vala fan!!
        Shhh, don't tell the others! <weg>

ok, i am just kidding. I am very glad that you play here sun krux and i like the fact that people can see that it isn't a 'either/or' thing. I do think that the two characters can co-exist. Now, i do have my personal issues with vala and how she's been presented most of the time...but i lay blame for that on the doorstep of the writers, not the actor. I think the writers, while i'm sure they were having fun, also were likely under some pressure to sex things up, and vala became that unfortunate vehicle.

i actually enjoyed the ex-host aspect that we saw in TPTB. it's a storyline i wish they'd have explored with sam a time or two.

if/when she comes back, i'd like to see more of that aspect of her. i think it would serve her well. teh sexy part....it's too open to criticism and will diminish her if carried on too long.
        I knew you were. Yeppers, I'm with ya there!

As to the passionate nature of some of her fans....i think that some of them fall into the ranks of those that are passionate about Daniel. Passion is fine...but not as much so when it comes hand and hand with intolerance towards others.
        Some people have nothing better to do with their lives I guess. I love FS, but I am not about to shove it or anything tied to it down another persons throat. I'll casually tell folks what I think about it or any of my other fav shows, and that's it. If that gets them interested enought to go watch, coolness, if not, their loss.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Shes a real gem
          Aw, Q you talkin' bout me? Thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
            Indeed when I had problems with the 'Vala brigade' she kept me sane and stopped me from making even more of a fool of myself
            *snickersnorts

*is glad to know her advice didn't fall on deaf ears

I'm off to finish working for the day. I'll be back later. I try to treat everyone how I like to be treated, with respect and honesty. Oh yeah...and sarcasm. <weg>
            sigpic

Comment

After spending two days trying to catch up on all the posts on Samanda, I've finally reached the last one.

As usual some great poems ans stories from Jester. I really loved your bedtime story !

Fabulous posts about both 48 Hours and Gemini. Sam at her best in both episodes, fabulous acting and really great character development with completely different sides of Sam. Why do I have the feeling that Replicarter and McKay would make a terrific couple ?

(((((Kat)))))) I hope things are going to get better for you and your family in the near future.

And finally congrats to all of the Samandans who reached milestones.
              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

hey guys, back to the gemini discussion, i think that TPTB didn't have enough screen time to show the severity of sams torture, nor could they have done so and done it justice on a tv show, given ratings. so i think that their way of showing how bad it was, was to show sam cower in fear, and break down and cry. this was letting us know that it was bad, because anyone who's seen five minutes of the show knows that sam just doesn't do that unless the situation is reeally bad.

now on to season 9. i saw Avalon Part 1 tonight. and.... i quite liked it!
                Spoiler:

first of all, sam was in it a lot more than i expected, and her scenes were placed fairly evenly throughout the episode so it seemed like even more. something like RDA in the last season. you just thought she was there more than she actually was. and she was fantastic as usual.
                loved jacks scenes, scruffy daniel doesn't look too bad, teal'c's hair just seems.... odd. and rak'nor was in it! i love him!

and now the newbies;
                i'm not too sure about landry, although he does have a lot of potential. its becoming quite apparent that he is a very different leader than either hammond or o'neill were.
                mitchell.... i'm not sure. for someone who is supposed to be such a natural leader (and i'm already starting to resent that. i automatically cringed). i do give him kudos for saying right away that he never wanted to lead sg-1. that he wanted to serve on the team, under sam. to learn from her, and the others. but i'm not sure i buy his lack of cockiness in his leadership abilities. this is an issue i'll have to consider more, possibly after a second viewing.

VALA! i'm really starting to enjoy her character a lot. i really do like her. its like she's daniels mckay! CB does a brilliant job, and in the absence of AT for several episodes, i just might survive. not sure this wackiness will stand up for 6 episodes, and from what i understand, we do explore more serious elements of her character, but she is a hoot and a half. i would love to see her have scenes with AT, i can see them having some wonderful chemistry.
                there was one line i had a problem with, "i haven't been this disappointed since i had sex with daniel". this line just seemed unneccesary. as if they were saying, ok just in case you didn't get that they had sex from PU, or from the first few implications from this episode, we'll smack you on the head with it one more time.

i did love the "give it a try muscles and i'll split it with you" line to Teal'c though.

now, i'm still counting the weeks until amanda gets back, but i do feel better about the show now. there were a lot of things i loved about it, several things i'm not quite sure about, but it did for the most part still feel like stargate to me. when the "band" gets back together, i'm sure it'll feel much more like it too. hopefully the coming weeks with not change my opinion for the worst.

i know a lot of this was a tad OT, so thanks for reading, as i'm sure nobody really gives a monkeys what my thoughts on avalon were.

Comment

Teal’c: ColonelCarter, what is written on the wall?
                  Sam: I’m not sure, Teal’c. But I think it says “Welcome to the Sam and Teal’c Adventure Series”.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

Sam: I’m not sure, Teal’c. But I think it says “Welcome to the Sam and Teal’c Adventure Series”.
                    LOL Love it, love it, love it! "Can you see the handwriting on the wall?!"

Hey, at least we're developing a Plan B ....

Comment

The Devil you know - http://www.stargatecaps.com/sg1/s3/313/index6.shtml
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

Aw, SamFan, this is wonderful. You don't post very often, but when you do, it's always like a breath of fresh air.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                          now on to season 9. i saw Avalon Part 1 tonight. and.... i quite liked it!
                          Spoiler:

mitchell.... i'm not sure. for someone who is supposed to be such a natural leader (and i'm already starting to resent that. i automatically cringed). i do give him kudos for saying right away that he never wanted to lead sg-1. that he wanted to serve on the team, under sam. to learn from her, and the others. but i'm not sure i buy his lack of cockiness in his leadership abilities. this is an issue i'll have to consider more, possibly after a second viewing.

i know a lot of this was a tad OT, so thanks for reading, as i'm sure nobody really gives a monkeys what my thoughts on avalon were.
                          I think Mitchell will grow on you as it goes along. At least, I liked him better as time went on...

And I, for one, am very interested in your opinions. I hope you'll post them for all the new episodes.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            I think Mitchell will grow on you as it goes along. At least, I liked him better as time went on...

And I, for one, am very interested in your opinions. I hope you'll post them for all the new episodes.
                            i do like mitchell. it just seems to me so far that he's a bit of a contradiction. and the opening scene was pure exposition, and a tad slow. i love that he stated right from the start that
                            avalon and general season 9
                            Spoiler:

he had no intention of leading the team. that he was there to learn. that to me makes the knowledge of his future co-leader status more reasonable to me. it's almost as though, he's a trainee manager. like sam is training him in to be leader, and letting him take the lead so that he can learn from experience. i think that sam does not intend to stay permanantly, and that she feels as though she is preparing him for whats ahead. when things get too hinky, she'll subtly steer him in the right direction.

ooh! and dr lee is really growing on me with every episode he appears in. at first i didn't like him at all, and now, well i loved his scene and mention. he was so funny. and i think they were trying to imply that while he is a good scientist, he's just not and never will be a substitute for sam. almost as if there was an unspoken "well sam would've figured it out" "yeah, whatever!".

and i can see the beginnings of a good friendship between cam and sam, and i think he'll need it, because while teal'c does seem to like him, its just not the same comraderie he has with jack, and i think that's what cam was hoping for. daniel is friendly, but i think perhaps a tad put out by the hero worship. sam seems to already have a friendly bond with him. and he seems more relaxed with her. its almost as if, while he sees her as a mentor of sorts, in that he wants her there to stop him screwing up, the hero worship is somewhat lessened by the fact that he knows her and is more at ease with her. one can't help but wonder if they knew each other as pilots, or if its solely through the stargate project that they met. he knew her well enough to say, "don't say 'thats nice'", and yet its more of a casual professional banter, with sibling-like undertones.

does that make any sense? i'm sure i can explain it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                              Oh and on my preferences. Despite being a massive Sam fan. I prefer the team eps to anything else and I'm still waiting for the writers to provide us with episodes which time after time have the team firmly together pitting their wits against the enemy with everyone sharing an equal role.

None of this Teal'c off with the Jaffa stuff, Daniel being a spare part. I want some great team eps!!

My fave ep is still Crystal Skull so no Sam bias there!!
                              Celebration

Roses are red
                              The event horizon is blue
                              Post #18000
                              Belongs, Coley, to you!!!

Even though you express
                              A wish that's quite fair
                              The team back together
                              Each one getting a share

We respect what you want
                              Many of us want the same
                              But let us take another moment
                              To look at Carter's fame

Quantum mirrors reflect
                              All the posts that we've done
                              From the first hundred pages
                              To quite a large sum

Major Sal started it all
                              And the idea was great
                              A kick-butt tough beauty
                              Who goes through the Gate

Sam Carter just grabbed us
                              And held us enthralled
                              Major Sam coined a new name
                              Samanda we're called

We've become quite a kingdom
                              With a diverse group of fans
                              The one thing that holds us
                              It's all about Sam!

So here's to the past
                              And our moments of glory
                              Hoping for a strong Sam
                              As we continue her story

New guests have arrived
                              And stayed to be friends
                              Samanda is growing
                              Adjusting to trends

We have different views
                              On the writers and arcs
                              But argue our points
                              Without shooting sparks

The kingdom is based
                              On the Queen's disposition
                              Kindness reigns here
                              It's a fine proposition

So forward we go
                              To our next milestone marker
                              Samandans united
                              We love our Sam Carter!

Last edited by ChopinGal; 11 October 2005, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                i do like mitchell. it just seems to me so far that he's a bit of a contradiction. and the opening scene was pure exposition, and a tad slow. i love that he stated right from the start that
                                avalon and general season 9
                                Spoiler:

he had no intention of leading the team. that he was there to learn. that to me makes the knowledge of his future co-leader status more reasonable to me. it's almost as though, he's a trainee manager. like sam is training him in to be leader, and letting him take the lead so that he can learn from experience. i think that sam does not intend to stay permanantly, and that she feels as though she is preparing him for whats ahead. when things get too hinky, she'll subtly steer him in the right direction.

ooh! and dr lee is really growing on me with every episode he appears in. at first i didn't like him at all, and now, well i loved his scene and mention. he was so funny. and i think they were trying to imply that while he is a good scientist, he's just not and never will be a substitute for sam. almost as if there was an unspoken "well sam would've figured it out" "yeah, whatever!".

and i can see the beginnings of a good friendship between cam and sam, and i think he'll need it, because while teal'c does seem to like him, its just not the same comraderie he has with jack, and i think that's what cam was hoping for. daniel is friendly, but i think perhaps a tad put out by the hero worship. sam seems to already have a friendly bond with him. and he seems more relaxed with her. its almost as if, while he sees her as a mentor of sorts, in that he wants her there to stop him screwing up, the hero worship is somewhat lessened by the fact that he knows her and is more at ease with her. one can't help but wonder if they knew each other as pilots, or if its solely through the stargate project that they met. he knew her well enough to say, "don't say 'thats nice'", and yet its more of a casual professional banter, with sibling-like undertones.

does that make any sense? i'm sure i can explain it better.

You've made some great points, stargate barbie. And I think we all are hoping that somehow the second half of S9 starts to have the actors becoming more in sync with each other, behaving more like a team.

Maybe we'll get the backstory between Sam and Cam and that will help explain their dynamic. I like your take on the subject: Sam is there overseeing the new kid on the block because she does have the seniority and experience that he does not. And, for now, Cam seems to respect and admire Sam.

I was surprised that nothing of Ry'ac and his new bride were written into the Jaffa arc ... I think that connection would help to soften Teal'c a bit and give him a bit more to do. Unless, in order to do that, they have to revisit the whole Ishta connection too. I wonder if her character fell by the wayside because the focus was on introducing Vala. You know who impresses me? The new young woman Jaffa on the Council ... she has screen presence, something about her. I wouldn't mind Teal'c getting more scenes with her.

And, if they've brought back Dr. Lee, how far behind is Felger? A small dose wouldn't hurt for comic relief ... it can't all be about Vala's one-liners.

I do like that they seem to be writing more lines for Walter, our loyal Technician. These familiar faces help to balance out the many changes for S9. Nothing like mom's apple pie and Walter at the controls, locking the Chevrons! Comfort food for the Gater soul!

Comment

Working...
                                X