X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    [B]
    Right - fave Sam Carter eps Season 4!!!

As always with these polls I have to keep reminding myself that I'm looking at the eps from a Sam character perspective - not an AT acting perspective (at least that is my take on the poll) It is so very easy to slip into admiring the acting when it comes to Sam moments, rather than focusing on great Sam character development.
    I agree. Great AT episodes are often great Sam episodes, but not always. I think, as you say, Entity is a case in point. After all, it's not really Sam for most of the episode. But I do like how we see Sam trying to figure it out and take risks.
    Prodigy I just loved this. It showed again a different layer to Sam (Oh so many layers to peel) Loved her being out of SGC lecturing. Loved how she interacted with Hailey - loved the fact she was prepared to stick her neck out for her. She persevered with her.
    She was kind of Sam in command mode too. Dressing down the cadet in the office. This wasn't my favorite episode. I found Hailey quite annoying--but some good Sam moments. At the end it didn't matter who was right; O'Neill had to risk himself for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      **Spoiler**

... I understand that she actually takes her glasses off to kiss Jack ....

Now, I've worn glasses all my life ... how come, when I take my glasses off, the only payoff I get is running into walls?!!
      Spoiler:
      Bah, the glasses got taken away when they were captured by Apophis. I think it was all a set up so that she didn't have glasses while snogging Jack so that it seemed more like the real Sam/Jack as an attempt to please the shippers and perhaps trick them to imagining it's the REAL Sam/Jack... even though it wasn't...
      Did anyone happen to catch what she does on one of the recent DVDs that follows her around as director of Resurrection? It was so funny and revealing. Amanda has mentioned her role models in comedy as Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett, and taking pratfalls (doing physical comedy) looks like something she loves to do when given a chance. On this DVD, she had just gotten done directing the final scene in Resurrection (I believe it was a wrap), and the camera stays rolling as she runs across the room and turns and does a Molly Shannon/Saturday Night Live comic pose. Seeing that tells you all you need to know about AT and comedy! It's a treat to see that madcap side of her.

As to reading our Samandan thread, wouldn't that be lovely? However, I almost think she will be blushing and tremendously embarrassed by all the accolades and praise we're heaping upon her.
      MY DVD'S DON'T HAVE THAT FEATURE!!!!! ARGH, Canadian Stargate merchandies sucks, i'm serious. I've seen so many caps, heard so many things... but I have yet to see it

And yes, you're probably true that she would be blushing like mad
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I've had to skip many posts since I haven't seen the rest of season 8 yet. (: I try not to see any spoilers. "La, la, la--I'm not listening!" But it sure sounds like some highlights to come.

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          MY DVD'S DON'T HAVE THAT FEATURE!!!!! ARGH, Canadian Stargate merchandies sucks, i'm serious. I've seen so many caps, heard so many things... but I have yet to see it

And yes, you're probably true that she would be blushing like mad
          You get the Region 1 Sets in Canada don't you? It should be on volume 5 of that...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            Hrh and ChopinGal - great ideas! I agree with getting the word out ('over the walls')... although I *really* like our SaGC (Sam's a Great Character)... I really like the way we've maintained great content, respect, critiques, opinions and humor... and I am leery of some of the 'trolls' roaming out there spreading ill will. That said, the Best Carter polls have been open to everyone and we seem to be getting almost nothing but positive feedback from them...

I have to agree with Astro. The reason I love this thread so much is because it is always so upbeat and positive. I have avoided most of the other threads on the forum because they tend to get negative about one thing or another. I have been reading the S/J shipper thread but over the past few weeks it has become increasingly negative in tone which had made me stay away. I don't have a lot of free time to sit and read the threads and what free time I do have I don't want to sit and listen to someone complain or read 20 pages of arguing. I like that I can always come here and know that whatever I read is going to make me smile.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Look Look I can be serious!!!!
              Fave Sam Carter eps Season 4!!!
              Fantastic comments and critiques Coley! You've pointed out so many special Sam moments...
              Gosh now I have to decide on just 3??????

2010, Prodigy, Small Victories!!!
              Coley - Did you vote at the Season 4 poll?

Wow!!! Don't visit for a few days and I need a mug of COFFEE, to keep me going through the posts!! Happily doesn't interfere with the intravenous sloe gin drip!!! Astrogeologist Many thanks for putting up all the info on the season 4 ep's. I can't rep you so a nip of sloe gin is yours if our paths ever cross!! I will go off line shortly to put up my responses - hope its not too late!!
              Am going off now to get your comments archived into the summary list....

Thanks RE the screen caps for 2010 - that set took me 3 evenings - I took almost 300 screen caps, and then winnowed them down to the ones that I posted. Very good Sam episode, however, and I appreciated it more the second time around -- and I think it's because of all of the perceptive and insightful comments that I've read on this thread.

And as for the sloe gin... decided to put it to work...
              ...and made you some 'special' blue jello...

12 proof.

Also sending some of this special batch of blue jello to ChopinGal for her wonderful posts today. MajorSam, Hrh36, Jckfan55, Skydiver, ForeverSG1, tara3583, NearlyCircular, and anyone else who has posted today, you may all have your choice of regular or special blue jello today.

Agent Dark, sorry, you're on duty, so you get regular jello for now.
              But when your shift is over, there'll be a cup for you in the fridge.
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 24 February 2005, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                I agree. Great AT episodes are often great Sam episodes, but not always. I think, as you say, Entity is a case in point. After all, it's not really Sam for most of the episode. But I do like how we see Sam trying to figure it out and take risks.

She was kind of Sam in command mode too. Dressing down the cadet in the office. This wasn't my favorite episode. I found Hailey quite annoying--but some good Sam moments. At the end it didn't matter who was right; O'Neill had to risk himself for everyone.
                You and Coley seem to be making a valid point ... it's hard for me to distinguish the difference because of my admiration for the actor. But I'm beginning to understand ...

In Chimera, the acting was solid, but the character development left much to be desired (IMHO) - so, according to your analysis, I would score higher points for AT; much lower for Sam. Aha! I'm beginning to see the light!

What other times do we see Amanda, as actor, doing her usually fine reading, but Sam lagging behind in development (due to the script)?

I can think of a few ... in COTG, Sam was a bit too defensive in the initial briefing room but that was her very first entry as Sam Carter, and it was that scene, not the whole episode. I guess the many times in the later seasons when Carter tries to tell O'Neill her true feelings or personal thoughts ... the script always pulls her back and makes her seem timid. Cases in point: Grace when she awakens and then says "thank you, sir" but can't quite get the words out to explain more to Jack; Lost City at Jack's house before D&T show up and then on the ship where he interrupts her and says "I know" and she just lets it hang; Affinity when she tries to talk to him about the ring but still doesn't push a little harder after his somewhat cryptic remarks. For me, Sam was not growing better and stronger in these scenes; they left me wanting more for her. However, she was not acting in a vacuum. How Jack was being written in these same scenes played an important factor too. He seemed to cut her off in some (Lost City) and remain remote and unreadable in others (Affinity). I don't think this dance did either of their characters any good.

On the other hand, in Prodigy, I loved that Sam had the maturity (and humility) to see her error on the blackboard and also allow herself the self-knowledge that she was "one hard act to follow" at the Academy because of her brilliant record. When Hailey lashed out at her about that, Sam remained professional and firm. She didn't have to apologize for being a scholar and top of the class. She could own her good qualities and then challenge the cadet to stop using her as a scapegoat.
                Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 February 2005, 04:53 PM.

Comment

We do not plan to have a mosh pit at this event, in keeping with the dignity and decorum befitting our great Queen.

Cordially,

Jester
                  Ah yes my Dear Jester, however the Queen herself has stated that once a year, with a certain collegue by the name of Christopher, (who seems to have a striking resemblance to the ever-popular Murray) She "lets down her hair" shall we say. Perhaps she would be willing to attend to our Celebration and "let her hair" down.

However, Now that I think it over, I am afraid to realize that would not be possible for the Celebration this weekend, as she is with child, whom is her very first priority, as it should be, and I would never ask her Majesty to risk any harm coming to said child, the grand Heir of Samanda.

In light of the Grand Celebratory Event, and the recent currency plans, as well as the usual brilliant posts, I believe it is due time for some recognition to be passed!

To each member of the Kingdom of Samanda, I hereby award The Orange Bean

This bean is the special "tickets" one could say, to attend any Celebration in Honour of her Majesty the Queen. It is Orange, because before one could ever attend an honourific event for her Majesty, one must embrace the joyous vivrant colour that is the favourite of our Queen!

I am sure to see you all this weekend

Cordially,

Madam President

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    You get the Region 1 Sets in Canada don't you? It should be on volume 5 of that...

I'm region 2, aren't I??? I believe all of North America is... I investigated just last nite my Volume 5, with Resurection on it... I have audio commentary, and a chopped up shortened version of Amanda's Video Diary. No special director's diary, no anything...

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

[QUOTE=MajorSam]
                      Spoiler:
                      Bah, the glasses got taken away when they were captured by Apophis. I think it was all a set up so that she didn't have glasses while snogging Jack so that it seemed more like the real Sam/Jack as an attempt to please the shippers and perhaps trick them to imagining it's the REAL Sam/Jack... even though it wasn't...

Hmm, I would assume since Sam doesn't wear glasses that AT Sam didn't really need them either. Or maybe AT Sam is like me, I have 20/20 vision but I have a stigmatism that is really noticable at night. I don't need to wear glasses in 90% of the time but the eye doctors have suggested I get used to them by wearing them all the time.

I tried wearing them regularly, but when you don't really need them you tend to take them off and forget about it.

Or maybe AT Sam just wore them because she thought they made her look smarter. She did seem to have a confidence issue.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Am going off now to get your comments archived into the summary list....
                        Thanks RE the screen caps for 2010 - that set took me 3 evenings - I took almost 300 screen caps, and then winnowed them down to the ones that I posted. Very good Sam episode, however, and I appreciated it more the second time around -- and I think it's because of all of the perceptive and insightful comments that I've read on this thread.

Also sending some of this special batch of blue jello to ChopinGal ....
                        AstroG, this is the perfect time for me to applaud what you have quietly been doing "behind the scenes" while we post here. I had the time today to finally take a better look at the amazing display of All Things Carter at your special link and it blew me away! My Lord, it was like being in a movie theatre and having the visuals and the dialogue all there and an opportunity to relive my favorite SG1 moments!

I urge you to please put that main link right back up here tonight (I'm not good at that kind of stuff!).

Folks, if you have not yet spent some time at Astro's site, you are in for a treat ....

It's Cartermania to the max!!!

You are truly Keeper of the Flame! Thanks for all your hard work!

Comment

What other times do we see Amanda, as actor, doing her usually fine reading, but Sam lagging behind in development (due to the script)?
                          Gemini! leapt to mind...

Comment

On the other hand, in Prodigy, I loved that Sam had the maturity (and humility) to see her error on the blackboard and also allow herself the self-knowledge that she was "one hard act to follow" at the Academy because of her brilliant record. When Hailey lashed out at her about that, Sam remained professional and firm. She didn't have to apologize for being a scholar and top of the class. She could own her good qualities and then challenge the cadet to stop using her as a scapegoat.
                            Well said.
                            As for comments about Ms. Tapping blushing over our gushing (oh, dear--a rhyme) I say let her. She should know she's appreciated.
                            And may I just say I am psyched to have been awarded my first *blue jello.* (does little dance)

Comment

HEAR YE HEAR YE

By Royal Decree, I, Madam President, issue forth the following Beans, to aspire to achieve, inspire success, and encourage the continuation of the most wonderful posts in our fabulous kingdom!!!

In Re-Cap we have the Following beans already in commission:

THE BLUE BEAN

The One time Bean, the most honoured treasured possession you all could own! The special Raw element that makes up the revered Blue Jello.

THE BLUE BEAN

Currently only awarded once, to member Coley, for her outstanding work in the creation of Oh Yea We Say Times. Awarded hence-forth to the creators of new Samandan code, society, or anything else that may arise.

THE PURPLE BEAN

The colour of the Queen's Eyes, issued to the Monument Posters ie) The subject who posts each 500 post. Issued insofar to the posters of post 500, 1000, and 1500. Combination of Blue, our Queen’s colour, and red, the colour of the love that is being spread, evidenced by these great posts!

THE ORANGE BEAN

The "Tickets" to all events in Honour of the Queen. Orange, for one must embrace the Joyous Vibrancy that is our Queen's favourite!

AND NOW ISSUED FORTH:

THE GREEN BEAN

The Green Bean is to be awarded for Outstanding Achievements in the Realm of Samanda. A work of art, poem, prose, a fantastic post... For Excellence in any catagory of Samanda. The more generalized version of The Blue Bean. Green for the envy that subjects may feel towards the Reciever of this prestigious award!

THE WHITE BEAN

The Samandan Veteran's Award. For Long-Standing members who have continually shown knowledge of Samanda above and beyond the requirements of this nation. White for the hair that sometimes comes with age, but here comes by wisdom and maturity, which is all in the head

THE SPECKLED BEAN

For the most Random bouts of knowledge, pictures, insights etc. about anything Samanda.

I ask thatany Nominations please be PM'ed to me, so that I may evaluate the Nominee's position, and see if the Award is appropriate. If I deem it so, I shall Publicly announce the nomination, at which point all Subjects may Vote!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                                I'm region 2, aren't I??? I believe all of North America is... I investigated just last nite my Volume 5, with Resurection on it... I have audio commentary, and a chopped up shortened version of Amanda's Video Diary. No special director's diary, no anything...
                                North America is Region 1, Region 2 is Western Europe

And it must be in Amanda's 'Beyond the Gate' special feature. She talks about her directing in that.

Agent Dark, sorry, you're on duty, so you get regular jello for now.
                                But when your shift is over, there'll be a cup for you in the fridge.
                                Doh! Something to look forward too I guess

Comment

Working...
                                X