Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Yes, luckily we are near Dallas and approximately ten hours away from the Gulf Coast. From what I have heard we should be seeing the remains of the storm up here by Sunday morning, but it will have thankfully diminished a great deal in strength by then.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those people along the Gulf who are fleeing from hurricane Rita. I have a feeling our country will be feeling the effects from Katrina and Rita for months to come. One can only hope this will be the worst of the hurricanes, but sadly this is only the beginning of the hurricane season.
    I am so happy to hear you're safe. Someone I know just moved to Texas to flee from Katrina & has to evacuate again for Rita. My heart & prayers go out to all those affected. I know this is OT, but are any of the Samandans affected by either hurricane? I truly hope not.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
    Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani76
      I know , I've been thinking about this, too. And I kinda came up with an idea. Now, first of, I know I am still a newby here and I don't want to step on anybody's toes, believe me. I also know that it might not be a particular workable idea for several reasons, but here it goes: One of the reasons, I like this thread so much, are the wonderful discussions of episodes once they aired. So, how about each week or every two weeks we all agree on an episode to watch, we all watch it, and then we discuss it afterwards????

This, of course, only works if we all have all the episodes on DVD, like I do.
      Let me know what you guys think? Maybe somebody can come up with a better idea. Or maybe you all just think it's totally stupid. I'll understand.
      After all, it's just a thought.
      IMHO, I think this is an excellent idea. I tried to send you green jello, but you know how it is. Let's see what our wise Samanda elders say on the idea.

Goa'uld queen in possession of Daniel, Jonas and Martouf clones
      Lovely signature courtesy of Admiral Q O and Skydiver.

Comment

OK, I had to post this here too. There was a thread started in the Sam&Jack forum about a fic idea that stargate barbie had. Well, my bud Anni took the challenge, and it's really not Sam/Jack, more like what we'd actually see on the show. But what I love was - she had Carter and Mitchell bring up the leadership of SG-1! And it was funny! At least, I thought so. Anyway, I decided to post the link here in case anyone else wanted to read it too. Warnings for a canon-esque implication of Sam/Jack.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2589874/1/

mini(reading!)geek

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
        ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          Hey bink?
          Spoiler:
          Does this mean you think that Sam is 2IC of the base?

Sorry. I'm kinda slow tonight.

EDIT: Whoa... Wha? 1600 posts? How the heck did THAT happen?

OK, OK, I blame it on Samanda.
          Hi Dancer:

Yes it does - I know I could be waaaay off course here but in thinking about what they could possibly do to fix this mess they have made it is what I came up with. If this scenario is actually portrayed then we have canon that
          Spoiler:
          Carter does NOT report to Mitchell, Carter is NOT subordinate to Mitchell and Carter does NOT take orders from Mitchell
          all good, believable and appropriate things when you look at what has transpired in the past 9 1/2 seasons.

The hope that I have is still hanging on because of this article, we will see what they do in January which will make or break it for me. It strikes me that TPTB, if nothing else, are very good at stringing people along, you think I would have learned by now but I really want to see if they do the right and appropriate thing here. If this does become canon I can't wait to see what the loons over at the Sam-Slammer threads have to say about it - they may all go apoplectic.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            Hi Dancer:

Yes it does - I know I could be waaaay off course here but in thinking about what they could possibly do to fix this mess they have made it is what I came up with. If this scenario is actually portrayed then we have canon that
            Spoiler:
            Carter does NOT report to Mitchell, Carter is NOT subordinate to Mitchell and Carter does NOT take orders from Mitchell
            all good, believable and appropriate things when you look at what has transpired in the past 9 1/2 seasons.

The hope that I have is still hanging on because of this article, we will see what they do in January which will make or break it for me. It strikes me that TPTB, if nothing else, are very good at stringing people along, you think I would have learned by now but I really want to see if they do the right and appropriate thing here. If this does become canon I can't wait to see what the loons over at the Sam-Slammer threads have to say about it - they may all go apoplectic.
            ...and that right there is reason alone to stay with the show...just to see how the ANTI SAMMERS freak when she's given her due respect.

I keep wondering if the point was all along to make Cameron the "fill in" while Carter was away...but perhaps they're playing it out this way because they thought it would be more controversial and therefore keep people interested.

I know. I'm still hanging on to all the quotes from JM and company about Cameron temporarily leading the team...but who knows? Maybe things will work out after all...

And some of those loons are just freaky. I hope Amanda NEVER goes to the Sam Hating Capital of the Universe over at the studio forum...they are so venomous she'd get depressed by their vitriol.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hi Dancer:

Spoiler:

I seriously doubt that would happen. And I wouldn't want it to happen anyway. Sam as the Second in Command of the base is not something I would want to see - its mainly an administrative job, and she wouldn't be on an offworld team. I much prefer her to be offworld kicking arse.
              I personally think that the whole Mitchell/Carter leadership thing is a whole lot of fuss over something that I think is pretty small. Before I saw season 9 I was quite annoyed that they were bringing in the new guy to take over the command, 'demote' Carter and all that. But after seeing the first 10 episodes I'm quite happy with the way things are. Mitchell is not in command. Neither is Carter. And I've said it before, that SG1 doesn't need a leader at all.
              Yes I'd love to see Carter in command, but not of SG1 as it currently is.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                I seriously doubt that would happen. And I wouldn't want it to happen anyway. Sam as the Second in Command of the base is not something I would want to see - its mainly an administrative job, and she wouldn't be on an offworld team. I much prefer her to be offworld kicking arse.
                I personally think that the whole Mitchell/Carter leadership thing is a whole lot of fuss over something that I think is pretty small. Before I saw season 9 I was quite annoyed that they were bringing in the new guy to take over the command, 'demote' Carter and all that. But after seeing the first 10 episodes I'm quite happy with the way things are. Mitchell is not in command. Neither is Carter. And I've said it before, that SG1 doesn't need a leader at all.
                Yes I'd love to see Carter in command, but not of SG1 as it currently is.
                I see where you're going with this...but for me the issue is that of respecting Carter, Amanda and the history of the team more than it has to do with Mitchell.

So they might be "equals" in practice...and nothing might change with Sam as the leader on paper as opposed to Mitchell...but it's the principle of the matter more than anything else and Sam should be listed as the leader officially not some guy who's never even seen a gate before 3 months ago.

That's just how I feel.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

[QUOTE=Agent_Dark]I seriously doubt that would happen. And I wouldn't want it to happen anyway. Sam as the Second in Command of the base is not something I would want to see - its mainly an administrative job, and she wouldn't be on an offworld team. I much prefer her to be offworld kicking arse.[QUOTE]

Hi AD - you have said this before and I am not quite sure where this comes from. I have not seen, and really do not see, anything that would say that Carter could not still go off-world and participate in missions and continue doing as she is doing.
                  Spoiler:
                  I know it was never said straight out that O'Neill was Hammond's 2IC but after A Matter of Time and other things throughout the 8 years I always assumed O'Neill was 2IC, especially since there was no canon that he was not either and he was a viable member of SG1.

I have to respectfully disagree on the leadership issue, you have likely seen many of my posts on this and you know my thoughts on where I stand and why and that is why I think it is imperative that if they do not hand command of SG1 to Carter then they need to take another step to make it clear she is
                  Spoiler:
                  NOT reporting to Mitchell, she is NOT subordinate to Mitchell and she does NOT take orders from Mitchell
                  otherwise, IMO, this whole thing is just a joke and the show is well, a joke, IMO.

Comment

Jack was 2IC of the SGC; that was made clear in canon and he took over for Hammond when Hammond was away, as well. He still went offworld with SG-1. I think Sam could quite easily be 2IC of the base, and I'd love to see that in canon. I don't imagine they'd have to show her pushing any more paperwork than they showed Jack pushing for the position.

mini

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek
                      Jack was 2IC of the SGC; that was made clear in canon and he took over for Hammond when Hammond was away, as well. He still went offworld with SG-1. I think Sam could quite easily be 2IC of the base, and I'd love to see that in canon. I don't imagine they'd have to show her pushing any more paperwork than they showed Jack pushing for the position.

mini
                      Yes...Jack and his pre-General paperwork...which apparently was minimal or at least felt that way, especially after this little exchange from New Order 2 about whether or not Jack should consider accepting the job of leading the SGC (the part I'm focusing on is bolded part...but I had to include the rest because of the comment Sam made at the end):

DANIEL: Maybe you should break it down into the pros and the cons.
                      JACK: I’ve spent my whole life sticking it to the man. If I do this, I’ll *be* the man. I don’t think I can be the man.
                      SAM: You’ll be inheriting a pretty big can of worms with the state of affairs out there.
                      TEAL'C: If Ba’al truly is on the verge of dominance of the System Lords, we face a formidable challenge ahead.
                      SAM: Plus who knows where and when Fifth and the other Replicators will turn up.
                      DANIEL: Here on Earth we’ve never been under so much scrutiny as we will be be now that so many governments know about the Stargate.
                      JACK: I’ve never had a desk.
                      DANIEL: That’s, a, uh ...
                      JACK: Con.
                      DANIEL. Con.
                      SAM: For the record, sir, you *do* have a desk.
                      (Jack looks surprised.)
                      JACK: I do?

DANIEL: On the flip side of the coin, there’s the fact that nobody knows how this place should be run better than you.
                      JACK: Why thank you, Daniel.
                      DANIEL: With a little guidance from your good friends and advisors, of course.
                      SAM: If you don’t take the job, we could end up with someone much worse. (Jack looks at her. She cringes.) OK, that didn’t come out right.

Comment

Hi AD - you have said this before and I am not quite sure where this comes from. I have not seen, and really do not see, anything that would say that Carter could not still go off-world and participate in missions and continue doing as she is doing.
                        lol, I'm just going by a normal military structure... I'll compare it to a normal Air Wing:
                        General Hammond is in command of the Air Group SGC.
                        Colonel O'Neill is in command of the fighter squadron SG1 (which includes Daniel, Teal'c and Carter), which is assigned to the SGC Air Group.
                        In the SGC Air Group, there's lots of other Squadrons, SG2, SG3 etc etc.

Now the Command group for the SGC is completely seperate from the Squadrons. Which means that squadron leaders don't have anything to do with how the Unit above them is run. The SGC has its own Commander, 2IC, support personal etc.
                        If a Squadron Leader was to get bumped up to the command group for the SGC, they'd leave the squadron they were in.

O'Neill wouldn't have been 2IC for the SGC because he was in command of SG1. It's purely a fanon thing that he was, by people that probably dont quite understand how a base would be run. There's alot involved in running a base. Something like 22 SG teams that need to looked after? Not to mention the loads of other issues that command of a base that size would have to deal with. Carter simply wouldn't be able to do that if she was going offworld every week.

Heh, I hope that makes sense

I have to respectfully disagree on the leadership issue, you have likely seen many of my posts on this and you know my thoughts on where I stand and why and that is why I think it is imperative that if they do not hand command of SG1 to Carter then they need to take another step to make it clear she is
                        Spoiler:
                        NOT reporting to Mitchell, she is NOT subordinate to Mitchell and she does NOT take orders from Mitchell
                        otherwise, IMO, this whole thing is just a joke and the show is well, a joke, IMO.
                        See, I already get the impression that she doesn't report to him. That she isn't subordinate to him, or take orders from him. I dunno, maybe I'm just a cheap date, but I like how its been set up at the moment

Comment

mini
                          i agree with you... i think that sam should be the 2IC of the base, now that landry is there.
                          ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

mini
                            No, he wasn't
                            He was certinately one of the ranking officers at the SGC, but he would not have been second in command. Like I said, theres too much involved to able to command an offworld team, and still be able to play 2IC for an entire base.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                              No, he wasn't
                              Was too!

(Wait, I'll do the next one for you: Was not!)

Now mine: Was too!

He was certinately one of the ranking officers at the SGC, but he would not have been second in command. Like I said, theres too much involved to able to command an offworld team, and still be able to play 2IC for an entire base.
                              There's a lot of things that "would not have been" if the SGC were a real Air Force operation. But they wrote 'em in anyway. Heh.

mini

Comment

Was too!

(Wait, I'll do the next one for you: Was not!)

Now mine: Was too!

There's a lot of things that "would not have been" if the SGC were a real Air Force operation. But they wrote 'em in anyway. Heh.

mini
                                Was Not!

But I'd still like to think that it is a real Air Force operation. And considering that (in my view) there was no evidence at all of Jack being 2ic to the base, I'll go with what should be proper

Edit: rofl, And I dont care what Mallozzi says either, because he'll probably be wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X