• Show
Clear All

There's a word for "jello" in Latin?
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Caeruleum seems to refer to azure-blue

Whilst for Liquamen all I have found is that its a fish sauce

What is your source Lys?
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by WhatFateAlmondRoca
        Instead of As the Stargate Turns we would have GateBoat. Where's our cruise director???

I have to agree, I would HATE that. I believe it would be contrary to her character, anyway.

Yeah, considering he didn't survive very long.

I cried at the end, though, I think they would have been cute together. It might have been an intellectually satisfying relationship for her, emotionally satisfying with all that sharing of essence going on. Orlin is so patient with her and what I like about him is that he NEVER let her reactions control HIS. He never lorded himself over her, as so many men (or even manly women) do. But I guess it couldn't have lasted....what with the Pentagon listening in, barging down the door. Kinda puts a kabosh on the whole thing. .

Still, that emerald was big 'n honkin'....
        *I've managed to sneak away from family time and decided to try to catch up on the thread real quick.

I have to admit I really liked Orlin too( He kind of reminded me of 'Meet Joe Black'). I know a lot of people didn't care for him and considered him to be stalkerish like some of the other men associated with Sam, but I always saw Orlin as different. He had a child-like quality to him. I never felt as if Orlin was hiding anything from Sam or trying to use her. He was very open with Sam and told her exactly what he wanted from her from the beginning. I also think Orlin was probably the first man to really see Sam for who she really was. Not just as a scientist, or soldier or even a pretty face. I think he really saw Sam's true essence and I thought it was really sweet when he told her she was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside. I think Sam may have also needed to hear these things from someone, especially after the treatment she recieved from the SGC and her team.

It kind of makes me wonder just how much was exchanged between Orlin and Sam during the glowy mind merge. Sam asked him if he could read her mind and Orlin said that was considered an invasion of privacy; however, he never said he couldn't. Was it simply a melding of their minds or more like feelings and emotions? Or something even more intimate and intense like of one's soul? Whatever it was that he did to her, Sam seemed to have been caught off guard by it. I'm also curious if it was a one way experience, if Orlin could see Sam the same way Sam saw Orlin.

It think it's pretty obvious from what we have seen regarding the Ori that they have the ability to read thoughts. I wonder if Daniel ever had these abilities while he was ascended or if some of these recessed memories will ever resurface? And what other kinds of powers do they have?

Hmm, guess we'll know a little bit more tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
          Caeruleum seems to refer to azure-blue

What is your source Lys?
          liquamen means "jelly" in Latin. My source is my Latin dictionnary. What is yours ? The fish sauce was one the Romans were very fond of. It was made with gelatine and got this name of liquamen because it was obvious for them that liquamen would be a fish sauce, as it is obvious for us that Jello is Blue Jello.
          Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
            *I've managed to sneak away from family time and decided to try to catch up on the thread real quick.

I have to admit I really liked Orlin too( He kind of reminded me of 'Meet Joe Black'). I know a lot of people didn't care for him and considered him to be stalkerish like some of the other men associated with Sam, but I always saw Orlin as different. He had a child-like quality to him. I never felt as if Orlin was hiding anything from Sam or trying to use her. He was very open with Sam and told her exactly what he wanted from her from the beginning. I also think Orlin was probably the first man to really see Sam for who she really was. Not just as a scientist, or soldier or even a pretty face. I think he really saw Sam's true essence and I thought it was really sweet when he told her she was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside. I think Sam may have also needed to hear these things from someone, especially after the treatment she recieved from the SGC and her team.

It kind of makes me wonder just how much was exchanged between Orlin and Sam during the glowy mind merge. Sam asked him if he could read her mind and Orlin said that was considered an invasion of privacy; however, he never said he couldn't. Was it simply a melding of their minds or more like feelings and emotions? Or something even more intimate and intense like of one's soul? Whatever it was that he did to her, Sam seemed to have been caught off guard by it. I'm also curious if it was a one way experience, if Orlin could see Sam the same way Sam saw Orlin.

It think it's pretty obvious from what we have seen regarding the Ori that they have the ability to read thoughts. I wonder if Daniel ever had these abilities while he was ascended or if some of these recessed memories will ever resurface? And what other kinds of powers do they have?

Hmm, guess we'll know a little bit more tonight.
            Yeah...I agree with this entirely...

And I didn't see Orlin as being "stalkerish"...he was quite literally an alien who saw Sam and was enchanted. He simply didn't know how to approach her or if he approached her...would she be receptive? This is clear to me because at the beginning of the episode, he didn't approach Sam as people would, he used his powers to meld with her...but her mind couldn't quite take the overload and she collapsed.

Perhaps he was scared after that and wasn't sure how to proceed...or even IF he should proceed...but the more he watched her, the more he knew he had to make the effort. So he took a chance...and there he stood in her street like Kat said...a little child. He kind of reminded me of Nefrayu from the Nox...completely innocent and trusting.

I'm going to go a step further and say that the exchange WAS two way. I think the point of the exchange was meant to be a two way sharing of feelings, of consciousness...but since Sam wasn't aware of him on the planet, she wasn't prepared for the experience.

And I liked him too, btw. Sam did need him. She needed something away from the SGC...something more added to her life. And Orlin was completely open and generous with his emotions and personality. He hid nothing of who he was from her...something she wasn't used to since her entire life's a secret. And he trusted her completely...he never once thought that she betrayed him.

The one thing I'm wondering...and maybe someone could help out...did Sam put all the stuff Orlin purchased on her expense report for reimbursement??? I mean, the electric bill ALONE....

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
              liquamen means "jelly" in Latin. My source is my Latin dictionnary. What is yours ? The fish sauce was one the Romans were very fond of. It was made with gelatine and got this name of liquamen because it was obvious for them that liquamen would be a fish sauce, as it is obvious for us that Jello is Blue Jello.
              Thanks for clearing it up

My source is google
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                Exactly. She did the shimmery bit. But she had no choice in the matter. It was either do this with Orlin, or he'd never leave, never turn himself in, never allow himself to be seen. That's blackmail, essentially, and that certainly doesn't jive with the "not out to harm her" bit you mentioned. The "you'll love me afterwards" sentiment Orlin expresses is downright creepy, and wouldn't endear Sam to him, would land me in serious trouble if I tried it, and wouldn't work on any woman I've ever met.

This is what's so aggravating to me. He's hot, so everthing he does is OK. Sam as we know her, the strong, confident woman wouldn't just love someone back because she had little or no choice in the matter. Fifth tried a similar approach in New Order, but was heartily rebuffed by Sam. Perhaps Ancients are hotter than replicators, and thus get a free pass?

Interesting. I would say that the two episodes have a very similar tone and feel to them. I don't see Deperate Measures as the same kind of failure for Sam that Ascension is, though. At least Sam did try all that she could (limited though it was) to save herself. And, in general I don't mind episodes where the only way to save a character in danger is to have the rest of SG-1 help them. That's what should have happened in Ascension. That's what happened in New Order. If I had my druthers, the last scene of Desperate Measures would have been about Sam, not Adrian Conrad's goa'uld.

Meh. I'm done with this issue for now. Dinner, then Stargate. Hopefully after tonight my view of Orlin will be decidedly better.
                You asked earlier if the reason that Orlin seemed to be given a get out of jail free card for being a stalker because he was an Alien whereas Pete was not; and in my opinion, the answer is yes. The reason being, Pete was from Earth. He was a cop. He knews the rules of conduct on this planet. He also knew how someone should and shouldn't behave and he not only chose to ignore those rules, he also used his own job in order to stalk Sam.

Orlin on the other hand was an alien. We don't know much about the Ancients or Ascended other than what we have seen through Daniel/Oma and now the Ori. We do not know what their normal conduct is, or how they introduce themselves. They are energy beings and I seriously doubt they take human form simply to speak to one another. Orlin told Sam that his kind had a different level of communication. What Orlin tried to do to Sam on the planet may have been in fact something as simple as shaking hands for an energy being. We really have no way of knowing.

On top of all this, Orlin admitted that he has been alone for hundreds of years. Over that amount of time, he may have lost much of his social abilities ... just remember how Ernest behaved in Torment of Tantalus and he had only been alone for fifty years.

I , like other's have already commented, believe that up until Sam agreed to the glowy exchange that Sam acted very much in character. She did everything that she should have done to prove that someone was in fact in her house. However, the difference between Orlin and the foothold situation was that in the Foothold situation, the evidence was tangible. In Orlin's case, what was Sam suppose to do to prove that Orlin existed? He did not possess corporeal form unless he chose to do so. Sam did everything in her power to prove she was not a psyche case,but noone believed her. Right or wrong, whether anyone else acted in character, I believe Sam did.

Even after her experience with Orlin, she tried to go to Jack and ask what she should do and he told her she needed proof, which she was trying to accertain. I just think in the process of doing so, she actually began to like Orlin.

In my mind, the differences between Fifth in New Order and Orlin in Ascension was huge in comparison. In fact, if I had to compare Orlin to anyone it would be more like comparing Fifth to First in Unnatural Selection. What Fifth did to Sam in Unnatural Selection he did so with her approval, just as Orlin was given permission. Both Fifth and Orlin had a child-like curiosity and I saw no real intent to harm Sam. Whereas Fifth in New Order invaded Sam's mind without her consent and in my opinion he went out of his way to make sure he inflicted pain ( be it emotional, physical, or psychological ) in the process.

I understand your reasons for not believing or enjoying the episode, but I have to disagree with your views about Orlin.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 16 September 2005, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i have a necklace that a friend of mine made. years ago (eek) i found out that she did metal work so asked her to make me teh point of origin. she did (it's cool, an inch long and wide and an ounce of silver witha red stone in the circle part)
                  anyway, when i asked her how much she said 'i've enjoyed your stories so much, you can have it'
                  i was totally stunned. first time i've ever been paid for writing anything.
                  haven't taken it off since
                  you know as to that survey thingie i posted up a bit, why not tell them you'd love some sterling jewelry? i'm sure a line of that would sell like crazy.
                  like maybe the points of origin or something
                  Wow, that sounds really neat sky! I used to do a bit of silver wirework, and hope to oneday learn casting/soldering. My big dream is to make a little silver stargate. I don't know if any of you remember the Gateworld header picture that was around a lot at Christmas time? The one of the little stargate hanging in the Christmas tree? That really inspired me to someday make something like that.

Qasim wrote: How about posting a pic?
                  Yes, do you think your friend would mind you posting a pic of the necklace she made you?

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    I don't know if any of you remember the Gateworld header picture that was around a lot at Christmas time? The one of the little stargate hanging in the Christmas tree? That really inspired me to someday make something like that.
                    I know the one you mean - I cant find a pic right now though
                    love Torri

Comment

Lys wrote: ((((((((deepspace)))))))
                      I'm so glad you decided to join us again.
                      Samanda wouldn't have been the same without you.
                      Let's celebrate deepspace return.
                      Blue Jello for everyone, the special one (you know the one I keep in the Royal Pharmacy )
                      Qasim wrote: Whats it say on it?
                      Lys wrote: Caeruleum Liquamen is Latin for Blue Jello. Me being the Royal Pharmacist likes to use this special kind of blue jello.
                      cafine us wrote: There's a word for "jello" in Latin?
                      Qasim wrote: Caeruleum seems to refer to azure-blue
                      What is your source Lys?
                      Lys wrote: liquamen means "jelly" in Latin. My source is my Latin dictionnary. What is yours ? The fish sauce was one the Romans were very fond of. It was made with gelatine and got this name of liquamen because it was obvious for them that liquamen would be a fish sauce, as it is obvious for us that Jello is Blue Jello.
                      Wow, so all this Caeruleum Liquamen is in my honour? Thanks guys. Today has started well.
                      No PM's
                      Special Blue Jello
                      A wonderful lesson in Latin
                      Friends
                      =happy

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Wow, that sounds really neat sky! I used to do a bit of silver wirework, and hope to oneday learn casting/soldering. My big dream is to make a little silver stargate. I don't know if any of you remember the Gateworld header picture that was around a lot at Christmas time? The one of the little stargate hanging in the Christmas tree? That really inspired me to someday make something like that.

Yes, do you think your friend would mind you posting a pic of the necklace she made you?
                        You know I would be interested to buy something to hang on my car.

Comment

Wow, so all this Caeruleum Liquamen is in my honour? Thanks guys. Today has started well.
                          No PM's
                          Special Blue Jello
                          A wonderful lesson in Latin
                          Friends
                          =happy
                          *happy that things are going well for deepspace and that she is now *
                          love Torri

Comment

I have one saved from last Christmas, round the time when I joined.
                            Attached Files

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Just a quick note to say; Sam looks pretty in charge in Into the Fire too and ONeill is even in that ep. --- sorry, just felt the need to say that. Even if it is a Hathor ep it is still a great season 3 ep.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

in my opinion the difference between Orlin and Pete is that Orlin had no idea that he was doing anything socially unacceptable. he was far too innocent, alien and childlike to understand what he was doing from a human perspective. Pete actually stalked her, essentially. not only that but he attempted to manipulate her, he tried to push her into things, he demened her and treated her as though she were less important than him, and i could go on.

Orlin, watched her, became curious about her, and decided to learn more about her. then followed her back to earth out of concern, and revealed himself to her. he had no idea that he was behaving in a way that might seem wrong or inappropriate. and of course he didn't sleep with her, then storm out, not call her or take her calls, and yadda yadda. we all know the story.

to cut a long post short, orlin - innocent. pete - should have known better. sam - still great. me - rambling

Comment

Working...
                                X