Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Just noticed MajorSam and Astrogeologist's mega posts.

Looking forward to reading about MajorSam's weekend escapades and Astrogeologist's wonderful comments on all things Sam.

But right now suffering from too much alcohol intake. All in a good cause I hasten to add!

A bottle of "Hen's Tooth Ale" (Yes it really does exist!!!) 6.5% vol - brewed in the Flatlands of Surrey and drunk in celebration of official Awards confimation. Plus as a fond celebration to my friends across the pond how could I resist a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - 6.8% vol. Just brings me a little closer to you folks!!

Anyways thanks to my unwavering dedication to all thnigs oops! Samandan, I am now struggling to read posts and see keyboard.

Will return when in a more respectable state. Heartfelt regards to everyone
    Dear Royal Accountant

After you rest and return to Samanda, you will be thrilled to know that you may be entitled to a new Bean (color and kind to be determined) for the 1500th post on the thread! Jolly good show!

Now that Madam President has returned from climbing walls and traipsing through the berry patches, she may want to consider an Honorary Bean as reward for each Samandan who makes a landmark post: 500, 1000, 1500, etcetera.

My, my ... 1500 posts, now that's a lot of beans!

Sincerely,

Jester

Comment

Some really good Carterfic!

I've been meaning to post about these three stories. I know the author and they were written a couple years ago and are found on Amanda's official website. I'm not sure if all are posted elsewhere, so I'll just give you the details and point you to: www.amandatapping.com

Go into FanFiction and find: Forbidden, Intrusion, and Trespass by Julia Reynolds. The first, Forbidden, is my favorite. (If you loved Night Terrors, you're definitely going to love this one.) It could have easily been a two-parter episode on the show. Just wonderful - dark and psychological and great team adventure and serious Sam whumpage and Jack and Sam under threat, plus great bits with Daniel and Teal'c. I even did a review for it awhile back, along with a review on Trespass (the whole Jolinar experience). Intrusion is about the Nox and SG1, and was going to be pitched as a Stargate novel at the time, but didn't happen.

All three are based on the early seasons and, for those of us who sometimes miss the good old days, I think you'll really like these stories. Enjoy!

Comment

Dear Madam President

The kingdom joyfully welcomes you home from your adventure.

We are all so grateful that you did not break any bones nor lose your armband. It seems that you were quick of foot and mind and knew when to hide in the briar bushes when appropriate. Such cunning and common sense only serve to remind us that we are, indeed, fortunate to have you as our leader.

I have instructed the Royal Cook to serve you a favorite repast this evening. The Subway Feast should brighten your spirits as you settle back in. I have also left the first edition of Oh Yea We Say Times on the dining table. You will be pleased to note that the ad for the combat boots did get published. Please keep me in mind should you get more than one offer. I will gladly take the second pair off your hands.

Cordially,

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Some really good Carterfic!

I've been meaning to post about these three stories. I know the author and they were written a couple years ago and are found on Amanda's official website. I'm not sure if all are posted elsewhere, so I'll just give you the details and point you to: www.amandatapping.com

Go into FanFiction and find: Forbidden, Intrusion, and Trespass by Julia Reynolds. The first, Forbidden, is my favorite. (If you loved Night Terrors, you're definitely going to love this one.) It could have easily been a two-parter episode on the show. Just wonderful - dark and psychological and great team adventure and serious Sam whumpage and Jack and Sam under threat, plus great bits with Daniel and Teal'c. I even did a review for it awhile back, along with a review on Trespass (the whole Jolinar experience). Intrusion is about the Nox and SG1, and was going to be pitched as a Stargate novel at the time, but didn't happen.

All three are based on the early seasons and, for those of us who sometimes miss the good old days, I think you'll really like these stories. Enjoy!
          Her site definately has some good Sam fics. I HIGHLY Recomend "Sam's Story" by Noda. She's one of my favourite authors ever. This story is about Sam's life before the SGC. What she did before, what got her into it, Jonas Hanson, the 2 years at the Pentagon, why she didn't go on the first mission etc.

Dear Madam President

The kingdom joyfully welcomes you home from your adventure.

We are all so grateful that you did not break any bones nor lose your armband. It seems that you were quick of foot and mind and knew when to hide in the briar bushes when appropriate. Such cunning and common sense only serve to remind us that we are, indeed, fortunate to have you as our leader.

I have instructed the Royal Cook to serve you a favorite repast this evening. The Subway Feast should brighten your spirits as you settle back in. I have also left the first edition of Oh Yea We Say Times on the dining table. You will be pleased to note that the ad for the combat boots did get published. Please keep me in mind should you get more than one offer. I will gladly take the second pair off your hands.

Cordially,

Jester
          Ah dear Jester whatever would I do without you... I thank you most gratefully for your apptitude at knowing exactly what I hope for. I am reading Oh Yea We Say Times again as we speak. I think you deserve the second pair anyways!!!! *Hands over* (

(I would get a picture of my own pair, but I can't find the camera... bah)

I must express my immense pleasure at the well-being of our Kingdom of Samanda. Each member, be they in the Royal Court of dear subjects, contributes so much to it's success. I once again commend you all!!!

Respectfully, Madam President
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I have to say being from the States that I was truly lucky to get to see a brief clip of Moebius recently and just wanted to express how absolutely witty AT is.
            I hope we get a chance to see more of her comedic abilities, if not on SG, then hopefully a casting director will see her performance and cast her in comedy.

Beautiful, intelligent, superb dramatic and comedic abilities ... how does Hollywood not recognize this great source of talent they are missing out on?

Comment

Dearest Royal Accountant

Thank you for my very first edition of Oh Yea We Say Times.

I realize now that your true talents may be twofold: counting beans and publishing the news for the kingdom. As such, I hope that you receive the aforementioned Blue Bean (not to be confused with the original BB which had already been so generously bestowed upon all the citizens of Samanda by Madam President). It seems that there is, indeed, room for two illustrious Blue Beans within the kingdom. And, in a gesture of camaraderie and respect for your going beyond the call of duty by publishing our first newspaper, I hereby nominate you for the new Blue Bean - possibly a shade lighter vis a vis our Queen's exquisite eye colour. We can remember that the first BB is the core ingredient of blue jello and hence a much deeper blue. I think we will have no trouble in keeping count of our beans (as long as we are not color blind).

The newspaper is a compendium of important and quite useful information. And I look forward to commenting upon some of its content in the near future.

Cheerio for now, Royal Accountant/Editor! And do be discreet whilst tippling the gin at the local tappy. I would not want to see your Blue Beans taken away for any type of impropriety.

Your friend and colleague,

Court Jester

Yet more wise words from our Court Jester. I agree whole-heartedly at the recognition Coley deserves, and so...

ATTENTION CITIZENS OF SAMANDA, I CALL ALL YE FORTH TO WITNESS A RARE AND SPECIAL OCCASSION

To Coley, for her Oustanding work, above and beyond the call of duty of her position, in the birth of our Newspaper, Oh Yea We Say Times I formerlly award

THE BLUE BEAN

The colour of our great Queen's eyes, the honour of a lifetime, treausre it well *bows head solemly*

Now let us all rejoice and celebrate in this great time!!!!

But right now suffering from too much alcohol intake. All in a good cause I hasten to add!

A bottle of "Hen's Tooth Ale" (Yes it really does exist!!!) 6.5% vol - brewed in the Flatlands of Surrey and drunk in celebration of official Awards confimation. Plus as a fond celebration to my friends across the pond how could I resist a bottle of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - 6.8% vol. Just brings me a little closer to you folks!!

Anyways thanks to my unwavering dedication to all thnigs oops! Samandan, I am now struggling to read posts and see keyboard.

Will return when in a more respectable state. Heartfelt regards to everyone
              (Except maybe dear Coley herself...
              Joyously, Madam President.

On another note, a massive WELCOME To new citizens of Samanda!!! May you stay here always, contributing all your thoughts and opinions on our great Queen and her work Loving all your posts so far!!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Dear Royal Accountant

After you rest and return to Samanda, you will be thrilled to know that you may be entitled to a new Bean (color and kind to be determined) for the 1500th post on the thread! Jolly good show!

Now that Madam President has returned from climbing walls and traipsing through the berry patches, she may want to consider an Honorary Bean as reward for each Samandan who makes a landmark post: 500, 1000, 1500, etcetera.

My, my ... 1500 posts, now that's a lot of beans!

Sincerely,

Jester

I hereby Award to: Astrogeologist
                ChopinGal
                and Coley

The Purple Bean Award, for monumental posts (500, 1000, 1500)

Purple for the royal colour, the hue of pinky-purple for the fun-loving group of people we are, Purple for the cross of our Samanda's Blue jello, and the colour Red, for the love we share for our Queen, as evidenced by the posts aaaaddin up!!!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

hrh36, astrogeologist, skydiver, ChopinGal, and everyone else, great posts today about the way the writers seem to have changed the way they're presenting Carter the last few seasons.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  ... I do remember reading quotes from interviews with AT where she stated that she has never wanted the character of Carter as 'defined' by whether or not she 'had a man'. She's also stated that she thought that Carter getting a boyfriend was a good idea for the balance and health of Carter's overall character - but again, AT didn't feel that this 'boyfriend issue or presence' should ever be a mainline issue for Carter on screen. (I'm using my own words here from what I remember - if anyone has links to interviews where AT talks about this, please post them).
                  I was going to wait until most of us had seen Threads to put this out, but now that we've started the discussion, here are some quotes from the Stargate Illustrated Companion Seasons 3 and 4 in an article about Amanda/Sam. Keep in mind these comments were made a few years ago.

..Joking aside, the actress is proud to portray a strong female character that doesn't exactly shun male attention, and is perfectly comfortable being a single, well adjusted woman, happy with who she is and where she is in life. “A lot of the single women characters on TV today are frantically searching for Mr Right, and feel their lives are unfulfilled without him. Not Sam! Not that I want her to come across as smug or anything like that, but she can stand back and say, 'You know what? I love and am loved by my family and friends. I'm good at what I do. I like my job and the people I work with. I'm a success.'

"That to me is one of the greatest things about how Sam has developed over the years. She's grown from being the hard-assed, stereotypical ‘feminist in the military' type into this strong, positive, happy female. I've had so many fans come up to me to let me know how much Sam's attitude has influenced their personal lives in a good way. It's extremely humbling to know that something I do on a television show can have that profound an effect. It makes me so proud to be a part of this show, and I pray that the writers will continue to stay on top of things and continue to allow Sam to develop in that same vein." …

She goes on to talk about her unhappiness with the introduction of Anise into the show. Then the article continues…

All of that said, Tapping does feel the writers have done Carter proud in the past couple of years: "In 'The Devil You Know', we got to see quite a bit about Carter's family background, and how far the relationship between Carter and her father has come since her mother died. Numerous times we've seen that she is a fully functioning red- blooded woman who is attracted to members of the opposite sex, even if they do end up dead -in every freakin' case I might add! In 'Prodigy' we saw how committed she is to building the future teams of personnel at the SGC. My hope for Sam's future," Tapping concludes, "is that we get some insight into the other relationships she's had as an adult woman." Stay tuned...

My thoughts are that lately we have seen snippets of Sam the leader and Sam the scientist and Sam the friend, but those moments seem to be overshadowed by too many scenes showing Sam worrying about her personal relationships. We don't see Jack or Daniel or Teal'c dealing with those types of issues. If relationship problems are presented for the guys, it's usually done in the context of the show, as a way of progressing the plot, not just as an add-on.

NC

Comment

Sex Positions for the Arthritic. - Complete with free pull out vitamin supplement. Please have your physio on call when using this book. - Author unknown.
                    Argh, what a disturbing image!! My brains about to explode rofl

Thanks for the links, I'll definately check em out

Originally posted by MajorSam
                    Her site definately has some good Sam fics. I HIGHLY Recomend "Sam's Story" by Noda. She's one of my favourite authors ever. This story is about Sam's life before the SGC. What she did before, what got her into it, Jonas Hanson, the 2 years at the Pentagon, why she didn't go on the first mission etc.
                    Thats a great story Also check out '1991' if you havnt already for some more Sam backstory. In fact there should be more Sam backstory stories!

Comment

Season 4 choices. Boy is this hard! Like most of you, I had 2 favorites, (not necessarily the same yours) but the third choice is a toss-up.

My two favorites are 2010 and Entity, and I guess I'll go with Prodigy for #3. Although I haven't voted yet and may change my mind after I've been standing in line and finally get into the voting booth. What's that you say, no line and no voting booth? You claim there are no disputed ballots nor hanging chads either? And most amazing of all, I haven't seen a single mud-slinging commercial! What a wonderful land this Samanda is.

My reasons for choosing Prodigy are mainly that I like seeing Sam mentoring Hailey. She's firm, but encouraging. She's willing to take a chance on someone that might otherwise be overlooked, in spite of the obvious resentment from Hailey. And at the end, she's willing to admit that her solution to the problem might not be right.

As for 2010 and Entity, I'm going to again quote from the Stargate SG1 Illustrated Companion, by Thomasina Gibson

On 2010

…Allowing himself a very small pat on the back Brad Wright offers, "'2010' is my favourite Stargate. It's my best work and though I write a lot of the stuff that doesn't have my name on it, you can be sure that if something does have my name on the writer credits it's going to be some- thing that hasn't been done before, in episodic television at least." Wright was particularly pleased with the scenes between Sam and Joe, and Carter and O'Neill. "Amanda got nominated for a Gemini award for her performance in that episode, and I always take a little quiet pride when an actor gets nominated for something I wrote."

"That was a big episode for me," Amanda Tapping states. "I'm married to someone other than Jack, and I thought it was great that ten years on Carter has moved forward with a guy that is not Colonel O'Neill. And she is happily married, they are really in love with each other. As a person, I loved the fact that I got to wear clothes other than army boots, that I was struggling with not being able to have children, and that there was still tension between O'Neill and me that seemed almost to be manifesting itself in hostility toward each other. I remember filming that one scene where I'm at the cabin begging for his help. Originally it was written that he storms off and leaves me on his front lawn, but I went up to the director and said that it made more sense for me to storm off, because I am the one who's moved on and I need to leave again. So they let me do it, and I basically got to say, 'Well, fine. Have it your way. This is why I never married you, you stubborn little boy.' I loved that." …

On Entity

…Incidentally, DeLuise remarks that the electronic voice used by Carter was an homage to Amanda Tapping's hero, the real life scientist Professor Stephen Hawking.

Given her naturally bubbly nature, portraying a still, bed-ridden Carter was a major challenge for Amanda Tapping: "It was a really difficult episode for all sorts of reasons. First off it was so not Carter. This woman was so still and so angry and so dark. Considering I spent most of the time in bed, I was exhausted at the end of that episode. I had to book myself into the spa for a month to recover," she jokes.

"1 also found it quite hard to buy into the story, and these are the times when as an actor you just have to acquiesce to your character and say, 'OK. I'll just have to become Carter 110 percent and react to this situation as she would without analysing it as Amanda.' You just have to relax and give everything over to your character. The beauty of it is having this great challenge of playing a very different Carter. All I did was lie in bed twitching, or else I sat and stared at people the whole episode. It was terribly difficult." She winks, "You have no idea."…

NC

Comment

Did I get my rep from Tok'raHostess?! - Ahhh yes I did Many Thanks TH!!
                        A well-earned you're welcome!
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

[B]
                          THE OH YEA WE SAY TIMES
                          (A top shelf gallus bossom publication)

AWARD SYSTEM OFFICIAL
                          Story by: B. Eanthur and Dunn. T. Hat.

SAMANDAN CURRENCY TO BE ISSUED
                          Story by: E. Benn and E Z Urscruge.

Ever Been Had?
                          Story By: T Wistunthenshout.

Wanted
                          Sex Positions for the Arthritic. - Complete with free pull out vitamin supplement. Please have your physio on call when using this book. - Author unknown.
                          OMG! ROTFLOL and PIMPING!

I'd rep you but there seems to be some kind of force shield preventing me from entering the vault of green jello....

Is this an accounting problem or a security issue?
                          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            Is this an accounting problem or a security issue?
                            Accounting

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                              Yet more wise words from our Court Jester. I agree whole-heartedly at the recognition Coley deserves, and so...

ATTENTION CITIZENS OF SAMANDA, I CALL ALL YE FORTH TO WITNESS A RARE AND SPECIAL OCCASSION

To Coley, for her Oustanding work, above and beyond the call of duty of her position, in the birth of our Newspaper, Oh Yea We Say Times I formerlly award

THE BLUE BEAN

The colour of our great Queen's eyes, the honour of a lifetime, treausre it well *bows head solemly*

Now let us all rejoice and celebrate in this great time!!!!

(Except maybe dear Coley herself...
                              Joyously, Madam President.

On another note, a massive WELCOME To new citizens of Samanda!!! May you stay here always, contributing all your thoughts and opinions on our great Queen and her work Loving all your posts so far!!!
                              To All Citizens of Samanda

Be it known, by royal decree, the Kingdom is holding a Ball in the Town Hall in honour of our President's Return from her Tour of Duty and the Royal Accountant's Prestigious Award of the Special Blue Bean (which, I must say, does aptly resemble the Queen's eyes).

The Gala will transpire next Saturday evening and promises to be the Social Event of the Samandan Season.

We have hired the local band, Murray's Minstrels, (bean count is low, sorry, we could not bring in the big names). Murray, a rather tall and brawny gentleman with a tatoo on his forehead, promises to learn some of the newer melodies that the young people are dancing to. You may actually send me a list of your favorite Samandan songs and I will forward them to the Minstrels. I promise to have the Samandan Anthem played so that we all may join in a group singalong. Murray has also agreed to let me sit-in with my lyre for one of the band's tunes ... I can hardly contain my joy!

Dress is formal: Carter Chic and the colour orange.

Alcohol will be served but guests will be carded; there are those amongst us who must be monitored lest they get carried away with the emotion of the moment. What Say, Oh Yea? You know who you are ....

Gourmet Food will include Asgard appetizers (be careful of the yellow cubes, they're a bit zesty); main entree will be a delicious repast of Tollan Tortellini and Tok'ra Tettrazini, along with the fish of the day, imported from a small pond in Minnesota. For dessert, there will be an ample supply of donuts and blue jello.

Security will be strictly maintained by Agent Dark and Lurker Extraordinaire. You may not see them among the guests, but be assured, they will be there in the shadows.

Parking may be problematic; it is advised that you leave your horse and carriage at the Samandan Gate and enter through the event horizon.

As of now, we are not sure that the Queen, herself, will be in attendance. She may send her Lady-in-Waiting in her place.

Please respond as soon as possible so the preparations can begin.
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 20 February 2005, 04:59 PM.

Comment

To All Citizens of Samanda
                                Be it known, by royal decree, the Kingdom is holding a Ball in the Town Hall in honour of our President's Return from her Tour of Duty and the Royal Accountant's Prestigious Award of the Special Blue Bean (which, I must say, does aptly resemble the Queen's eyes).

We have hired the local band, Murray's Minstrels, (bean count is low, sorry, could not bring in the big names). Murray, a rather tall and brawny gentleman with a tatoo on his forehead, promises to learn some of the newer melodies that the young people are dancing to. You may actually send me a list of your favorite Samandan songs and I will forward to the Minstrels. I promise to have the Samandan Anthem played so that we all may join in a group singalong. Murray has also agreed to let me sit-in with my lyre for one of the band's tunes ... I can hardly contain my joy!

Dress is formal: Carter Chic and the colour orange.

Alcohol will be served but guests will be carded; there are those amongst us who must be monitored lest they get carried away with the emotion of the moment. What say, Yea? You know who you are ....

Security will be strictly maintained by Agent Dark and Lurker Extraordinaire. You may not see them at the party, but you can be assured, they are there in the shadows.

Parking may be problematic; it is advised that you leave your horse and carriage at the Samandan Gate and enter through the event horizon.

As of now, we are not sure that the Queen, herself, will be in attendance. She may send her Lady-in-Waiting in her place.

Please respond as soon as possible so the preparations can begin.

Although I am weary and strained from my Tour of Duty, I know it is also my Duty to attend such fabulous festivities *sigh* Such is the hardships of Presidency!

I am sure there shall be VIP parking for the members of the Court of Samanda . I still advise however you arrive early, so as to get the best spots.

Pray, may I inquire as to what the selection of drinks shall be? I do hope not the beverage from P3X-595... Unless our Queen wishes to partake in some more, and a certain General is around

I am greatly overjoyed at the prospect of Murray's Minstrels performing. They are one of my favourite groups, very sophisticated for our time. I hope they perform such classics as "The day I said "Kree" "Can't stop thinking about you (and neither can my Junior)" "Not just a pretty Colonel-in-the-USAF-PHD-Theoretical-Astrophysicist" and "Ode to Samanda"

I am sure your big debue shall be brilliant, I send you luck and the power of Samanda!!

I shall inform my Laundress immedietely, my Orange-Carter Chic must be updated according to the latest fashions!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Working...
                                X