Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before starting S3, a brief recap of the cliff-hanger ending:
    Daniel, Jack and Sam are captured by Hathor who has incarcerated them in a mock up for the SGC. Teal'c meanwhile, wakes in the real SGC and, frustrated at the lack of action in attempting a rescue, takes his leave of the SGC.

Synopsis

Daniel, Jack and Sam are captured by Hathor who selects Jack to be turned into a host. After the implantation, the Tok'ra operative puts Jack into stasis again effectively killing the symbiote before it can take hold.
    Meanwhile, Sam and Daniel are rescued by the SG teams sent to retrieve them. They are stalled by an energy barrier keeping them from the Stargate. Daniel is injured and Sam offers to return to the complex to destroy the energy source maintaining the barrier. She takes this opportunity to attempt to rescue Jack. Finding him in stasis, with a badly injured Tok'ra operative nearby who instructs her how to revive him. Sam does so and finds the symbiote gone but Hathor finds them and uses the hand device on Sam. Jack comes to and kills Hathor, then pulls Sam into a hug when he finds she's OK.
    Elsewhere Teal'c is trying to secure forces among the Jaffa to mount his own rescue. Frustrated that his own people cannot provide more support, General Hammond follows Teal'c to Chulak to help him recruit people. Eventually the pair of them, with Bra'tac’s help, find an aircraft hidden in the undergrowth.
    Sam and Jack find the energy source and plant C4, planning to blow it when reinforcements come through, but then they come topside they discover that the forces of the SGC have been captured. Jack tries to buy time by posing as a goa'uld and succeeds long enough for the plan to come together. The gate lights up, Sam blows the C4 and Hammond and Teal'c fly through in their puddle jumping fighter destroying the enemy towers. The forces of the SGC are victorious once again.

Review

I don't think I have ever watched this as a stand alone from the first half (Out Of Mind) before so it was interesting to see how well it stands up as an episode in it's own right.
    This is probably one of my favourite episodes, and one of the best season openers of them all. Everything about it - the lighting, the score, the directing, the whole package - just screams classic SG-1. This is what they are good at.
    It’s fast paced and even the less action packed scenes on Chulak are wonderfully done and don’t slow the episode down, so much as allow the viewer time to take a breath. I really can’t find a thing about this episode that irked me or annoyed me. A couple of unanswered questions though:
    What happened to Jack's symbiote. Did it leave his body or was it absorbed within? How come we never see that cool gate hopping craft Teal'c and Hammond fly after this? It looks like a rather handy thing to keep around.

Favourite quote:
    Do I have to pick just one? Aw. Ok then:

"What the grey doesn't bother you?" Oh No, they grey most certainly doesn't bother me. (umm, sorry; I will save the shallowness for later.)

Favourite scene:

That aircraft coming through the gate and taking out the tower, along with Hammond’s "yeeehaw".
    I’ll also pay a little nod to the very end scene where it pans out and you see them walking back towards the gate. Jack ruffles Daniel’s hair and Hammond puts his arm round Sam. It’s really sweet and beautifully shot.

Blatantly shallow observations:

Jack looks exceptionally hot with the slightly floppier hair and the white suit. Sam has lovely honey coloured hair in this episode, which is much nicer than the uber-blonde of later on.

Shippy moments:

Sam rushing to him concerned after being zatted for trying to hurt the goa'uld. She places a hand on his chest in a far too intimate gesture for a CO and second in command.

Sam's look when Jack gets Goa'ulded. Just prior to the symbiote taking Jack, the camera goes to Sam first, then a long shot of both her and Daniel, followed by another panning across Daniel to Sam where it lingers. We then get a brief close up on Daniel before the final two shot after the symbiote enters Jack. Daniel looks angry but impassive while Sam's distress is written all over her face throughout this scene. The focus is very much on Sam's reactions here. Just beautifully directed and edited.

Sam argues with Makepeace when he lists Jack as a casualty. Well OK it wasn’t much of an argument but you can see she’s all for attempting rescue and hasn’t written Jack off yet but is bound by her orders.

When Sam is given the opportunity to go back (ostensibly to destroy the energy barrier) it's virtually a suicide mission and they all know it. Makepeace says "I'll try to keep the door open" but realistically you know there is little chance he will be able to. Sam meanwhile, rather than go immediately to seek out the source of the energy, goes in search of Jack, finding him in stasis.

When Sam revives Jack she places an hand on his chest. Again, this seems rather intimate given their working relationship.

Jack, who must be weakened by being goa'ulded and then put in stasis regains consciousness only to find Sam being tortured to death by Hathor. So enraged by this he finds the strength to not only save Sam but kill a goa'uld bare handed. That’s no mean feat.

The hug. Ah the hug! How long does it go on for? Far longer than needed just to warm Jack up or reassure each other they are OK. Jack seems so relieved to find Sam is fine after being subject to Hathor's hand device, and there’s a look of relief on Sam's face when she's hugging him back. Neither of them seem to want to let go of each other, even as they pull apart and from that moment they hold onto each other until after they have spoken to the Tok’ra and are on their feet. In fact, after that, apart from when Jack goes to buy them some time, they are never more than a few feet apart.

When out in the open and Jack and Sam seem to have some kind of psychic link. She blows the C4 exactly as he's thinking it.

When the towers are shooting at Jack, Sam shouts out a warning, then runs to his side.

After they defeat the enemy, just before the camera pans out to a wide shot, Sam and Jack share a smile.

Implications for Sam and Jack.

Where Out Of Mind served a the purpose of highlighting a physical attraction between Sam and Jack, Into The Fire cements those physical feelings with an emotional connection. Sam clearly struggles with Jack being goa'ulded, even going so far as to essentially put her life on the line to go back for him. This is actually an interesting foreshadowing of the season 8 opening (New Order) where Sam does something similar - taking one of Earth's major assets to find a cure for Jack, except by the time we get to New Order Sam has enough confidence to stand up for what she wants. In any event, her rescue of Jack here is unauthorised and she really only has the tok'ra's word that he really is symbiote free; if he isn’t then she’s blown her whole mission and risked the lives of everyone depending on her. But yet, she is willing to do that. That's not just friendship and loyalty driving her.
    Meanwhile Jack finds hidden strength to destroy Hathor thus saving Sam’s life and has no hesitation in showing his relief she’s OK. I can only wonder what terror was going through his head when he saw what Hathor was doing to Sam and how that must have driven his adrenaline.
    The unconsciously intimate hug seems to go on forever. The fact we, the viewer, can see the developing feelings clearly in this hug, neither of them are aware enough of anything more than a physical reaction to each other to be concerned that this kind of behaviour might be inappropriate. I certainly see this as being the point they started to feel something deeper developing but the episodes throughout season three show Sam and Jack at their most flirty and I am sure neither of them would encourage or engage in that so freely had they truly understood the emotional implications of what was happening between them.
    sigpic

Comment

Oh, nice post, Cags.
      This is just a fly-by post for the moment but I wanted to quickly say how much I agree with your point about Season 3. A couple of days ago I posted on the Stargate Revisited thread (which is a general rewatch thread) that I really didn't like Divide and Conquer because it's just so depressing. Once they're aware of what's going on, all that flirty cuteness is just gone and we get angst overload for several long years.

Also, a while back we were talking about how Jack is the big tough guy who never needs a hug- but this is the one and only time that he does, IIRC. I think it's because he's just faced his absolute worst fears and survived. Clearly, the man isn't afraid of dying, but he is very afraid of being a goa'uld host, and he's afraid of losing the people he loves. ANd so here he is, immensely relieved that he hasn't become a host and that Sam isn't dead, and he just cracks.
      Last edited by VSS; 02 November 2009, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Lovely post, Cags. I, too, wondered what happened to the symbiote. Did his body absorb it? We're led to believe by the Tokra that it died inside him, yes? Yet he has no residual naquada in his system nor can he sense a Goa'uld, right?

It's one of my favorite episodes as well for the action as well as the completely oblivious shippyness on their parts.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I love that hug. There's such desperation - the kind you get only after having faced your own impending death. I tried to play that scene in my mind replacing Sam with Daniel and I just don't see it happening the same way - I could see Jack clinging to Daniel or even Teal'c but quickly composing himself. With Sam he clings to her... and he just keeps on letting himself stay in her embrace.

It's these moments that make me wonder if all the shippiness - the love, attracting, etc that is explicitly revealed in D&C sneaked up on them because they simply let their guards down in these moments. Maybe it's a guy thing - when man is around other men, there's some level of needing to adhere to some kind of unspoken tough code. Around Sam, Jack doesn't have that requirement - she's a strong, independent woman who is also compassionate and non-judgmental. While he would never consciously choose to go seek comfort in her arms, instinctively he is drawn to her.

On another note - I too love Hammond's "yee-haw" Don Davis just absolutely shined!

Comment

Great post Cags and fab to have the rewatch back

I like your observations about how risky Sam's decision to go back for Jack is - not only unauthorised, but probably suicidal and with no reason at all for her to think she could actually save him. But she clearly just cannot conceive of not trying, of leaving him or of losing him. It foreshadows her distress and obsession in A Hundred Days, and of course the forceshield moment in Upgrades, as well as the example you cite of New Order.

I also like the comparison you draw there between OoM highlighting the physical attraction and IttF the emotional one, and I think you're exactly right that that's what the hug is. It's not at all physical, really, it's just clinging to one another in desperate relief. And it's such a 'real' moment - rather like the first hug we see in Fire & Water, this is a reaction, no conscious thought going into it. It just screams needing one another, before as you all say, they train themselves into suppressing this instinct.
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              Lovely post, Cags. I, too, wondered what happened to the symbiote. Did his body absorb it? We're led to believe by the Tokra that it died inside him, yes? Yet he has no residual naquada in his system nor can he sense a Goa'uld, right?
              I think in Legacy with the Machello bugs Sam says that the Goa'uld left Jack and then died, so he didn't absorb it.

I also really like this episode, a great combination of action and emotions from the characters, especially Sam and Jack. And you gotta love Hammond's 'Yeehaw' and Teal'c's reaction to that.

As a non-shipper I'm inclined to believe that Sam was mostly motivated by friendship/loyalty to go back and rescue Jack, but I include this episode along with Point of View and 100 Days from this season as ones where Sam and Jack's friendship starts to gain that 'shippy' aspect.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

As a non-shipper I'm inclined to believe that Sam was mostly motivated by friendship/loyalty to go back and rescue Jack, but I include this episode along with Point of View and 100 Days from this season as ones where Sam and Jack's friendship starts to gain that 'shippy' aspect.
                Well it is called a shipper review. I'd be remiss not to highlight the shipper aspects of it.

It's alwasy nice to see the opinions of a non shipper on an episode. Good to see you here. I hope you'll provide input on the rest of the season too.

I like your observations about how risky Sam's decision to go back for Jack is - not only unauthorised, but probably suicidal and with no reason at all for her to think she could actually save him.

Sorry Josi I seem to have lost the quote tag there! I have to give credit to Pol for that since it's a point that never occured to me until I read her Campfire on the same episode.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                  Well it is called a shipper review. I'd be remiss not to highlight the shipper aspects of it.

It's alwasy nice to see the opinions of a non shipper on an episode. Good to see you here. I hope you'll provide input on the rest of the season too.
                  Oh I know this is a ship thread, the title and your lovely banners for the rewatch kinda gave that away.

I'm a non-shipper in general, but I've read some really nice Sam/Jack ship stories that have gotten me interested in the shippier parts of the show. I'm usually going to be inclined to see friendship between Sam and Jack unless it's overt ship, but it's fun to get a different perspective on the episodes.

sigpic

Comment

Oh I know this is a ship thread, the title and your lovely banners for the rewatch kinda gave that away.

I'm a non-shipper in general, but I've read some really nice Sam/Jack ship stories that have gotten me interested in the shippier parts of the show. I'm usually going to be inclined to see friendship between Sam and Jack unless it's overt ship, but it's fun to get a different perspective on the episodes.

What's interesting about the S/J ship to me is how there definitely are these little bits here and there and normally I also would be inclined to say, "Well, they're friends." But you know, I don't think they were ever friends.

There was a lot of physical attraction from the very beginning, and that made the "just friends" thing problematic from the start. Sam never took the liberties of forgetting her rank like Kawalsky did, and Jack, of course, reinforced that like a wall in later seasons when he wouldn't even call her by her first name anymore. I think it'd be very hard to say they were friends after season 4 when they were either actively trying to stay out of or get into each other's personal space. Co-workers, yes. People who cared for each other deeply, yes. But not friends. To me, that scene in Jack's living room from Lost City really showed how awkward they still were even seven years into their relationship. Had that been Daniel, the scene would have been completely different. But Sam didn't even know if he was ever in touch with Sara any more.

THere are many times that one or the other of them would do something- like the hug in this episode- or that convo in LC- and it could be seen as friendship but I have to ask myself "Would it be that way with Daniel? Or Teal'c?" Usually, the answer is no, and that's what's really telling.
                    Last edited by VSS; 02 November 2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                      What's interesting about the S/J ship to me is how there definitely are these little bits here and there and normally I also would be inclined to say, "Well, they're friends." But you know, I don't think they were ever friends.

There was a lot of physical attraction from the very beginning, and that made the "just friends" thing problematic from the start. Sam never took the liberties of forgetting her rank like Kawalsky did, and Jack, of course, reinforced that like a wall in later seasons when he wouldn't even call her by her first name anymore. I think it'd be very hard to say they were friends after season 4 when they were either actively trying to stay out of or get into each other's personal space. Co-workers, yes. People who cared for each other deeply, yes. But not friends. To me, that scene in Jack's living room from Lost City really showed how awkward they still were even seven years into their relationship. Had that been Daniel, the scene would have been completely different. Much more relaxed.

THere are many times that one or the other of them would do something- like the hug in this episode- or that convo in LC- and it could be seen as friendship but I have to ask myself "Would it be that way with Daniel? Or Teal'c?" Usually, the answer is no, and that's what's really telling.
                      Hmmm, while the physical attraction was definitely there early on, I feel they got over it to a large extent after Emancipation and Broca Divide. After that I think they settled down into a good teammate/co-worker relationship that deepened into friendship with the moments in Singularity, Solitudes, Matter of Time, etc.

Even after Divide and Conquer, where their romantic feelings (mainly Jack's) came more out into the open, I still see friendship between them where they're friends in Beneath the Surface, Sam calling Jack out on betting on her going on the mission in the Light, the banter in Redemption or Forsaken, Jack inviting Sam to go fishing etc. Yes you have the more tense/angsty moments, not all of them due to ship, but the comfortable friendship they established earlier is still there, IMO.

The Lost City scene was awkward, but I think the context of that is also important, since Jack was essentially doomed to die in a matter of days and Sam was trying to talk about that touchy subject. I think they have a comfortable friendship in general subjects like with the crossword, but it gets awkward when it comes to personal/intimate matters. But then, I think Jack is that way with pretty much everyone, not just Sam.

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, while the physical attraction was definitely there early on, I feel they got over it to a large extent after Emancipation and Broca Divide. After that I think they settled down into a good teammate/co-worker relationship that deepened into friendship with the moments in Singularity, Solitudes, Matter of Time, etc.
                        I'd agree with that- but I'd also point out that Daniel isn't really going to be cuddling up to Jack and asking about his sidearm. Nor is Jack going to be eyeing Teal'c's naked back like he does Sam's in Out of Mind not to mention holding on just a little too long in the hallway in that same ep. This is what I mean by comparing the situations by replacing one of them with another team member in one's head. We're so used to Sam and Jack cozying up to each other at times that people take it for granted.

Even after Divide and Conquer, where their romantic feelings (mainly Jack's) came more out into the open, I still see friendship between them where they're friends in Beneath the Surface, Sam calling Jack out on betting on her going on the mission in the Light, the banter in Redemption or Forsaken, Jack inviting Sam to go fishing etc. Yes you have the more tense/angsty moments, not all of them due to ship, but the comfortable friendship they established earlier is still there, IMO.
                        Here, I'd really have to disagree, and make a correction on what I wrote earlier. It wasn't so much Divide & COnquer that marked a cooling of their friendship- but rather Entity when Jack realizes that being in love with one's 2IC isn't just against the rules, it's dangerous. Before that, they're in that kind of silly phase (WoO is a good example) that people are in when they first realize their feelings are reciprocated. The Light was season 4 before Entity. In BtS they had no idea who they were and that their feelings were forbidden, so to me those eps don't reflect collegial rapport so much as romance. But after Entity you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of warm fuzzy friendship moments in season 5. Believe me, we shippers have looked. I guess the banter in Proving Ground is pretty cute, but other than that there's not much.

Even in the later fishing invites, he knows in advance she's not going. Asking her is just a formality by that point- "Still going fishing?" "Still staying here?"
                        Things do get better in season six, but still not like in the earlier seasons. They're friendly, but not good friends, IMHO.
                        The Lost City scene was awkward, but I think the context of that is also important, since Jack was essentially doomed to die in a matter of days and Sam was trying to talk about that touchy subject. I think they have a comfortable friendship in general subjects like with the crossword, but it gets awkward when it comes to personal/intimate matters. But then, I think Jack is that way with pretty much everyone, not just Sam.
                        Jack does warm up to people very slowly- but he doesn't shut out everyone, at least not to the same extent. Why doesn't he use her name after season four- and why, when she's waking up after Grace, does he makes her call him sir? Even Sam heaves this little sigh of frustration at that point. As I said, he never treated Kawalsky that way. In LC, she looks around the house as if she hasn't been there very often, and she doesn't even know whether he talks to Sara, which I find very unusual. I would bet Daniel knows the answer to that question, I always felt he was better friends with Jack than Sam was, at the time.

However, in season 8 she does know she wants a yellow kitchen.
                        Last edited by VSS; 02 November 2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                          I'd agree with that- except that Daniel isn't really going to be cuddling up to Jack and asking about his sidearm, is he? Nor is Jack going to be eyeing Teal'c's naked back like he does Sam's in Out of Mind not to mention holding on just a little too long in the hallway in that same ep. This is what I mean by comparing the situations by replacing one of them with another team member in one's head. We're so used to Sam and Jack cozying up to each other at times that people take it for granted.
                          Well, Jack hasn't been hesitant about hugging Daniel in Serpent's Lair or Need, or ruffling his hair in this episode, and Teal'c doesn't cozy up to anyone, so I see Sam and Jack in Solitudes or Out of Mind in a similar vein. I mean, yes they're still aware of each physically, but it just doesn't come across as overt as it did in the beginning to me.

Here, I'd really have to disagree, and make a correction on what I wrote earlier. It wasn't so much Divide & COnquer that marked a cooling of their friendship- but rather Entity when Jack realizes that being in love with one's 2IC isn't just against the rules, it's dangerous. Before that, they're in that kind of silly phase (WoO is a good example) that people are in when they first realize their feelings are reciprocated. The Light was season 4 before Entity. In BtS they had no idea who they were and that their feelings were forbidden, so to me those aren't good examples of their being on friendly terms. But after Entity you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of warm fuzzy friendship moments in season 5. Believe me, we shippers have looked. I guess the banter in Proving Ground is pretty cute, but other than that there's not much.
                          The friendship I see in BTS is that even though they didn't know who they were, they both still gravitated towards one another and supported each other. Jonah and Thera came across as friends to me, which suggested to me that was something about Sam and Jack's basic personalities that drew them to each other.

For S5, I guess it's not really the fuzzy/bantering moments that come to mind, but the times where they seem to touch on or be aware each others' emotional states. Jack asking Sam if she wants him to stay in Ascension, his look of concern at her at the end of Between Two Fires, and especially how they interact in Revelations. I can't really see Sam getting that angry at Jack for not mourning for Daniel with her if they weren't friends.

Even in the later fishing invites, he knows in advance she's not going. Asking her is just a formality by that point- "Still going fishing?" "Still staying here?"
                          Things do get better in season six, but still not like in the earlier seasons. They're friendly, but not good friends, IMHO.
                          The 'still staying here' seemed to be in response to her answer from Nemesis, but I guess I just took the offers in Nemesis and in the Curse to be sincere ones on Jack's part.

Jack doesn't shut out everyone, at least not to the same extent. Why doesn't he use her name after season four- and why, when she's waking up after Grace, does he makes her call him sir? I can't imagine him doing that to anyone else, it's actually rather cold. As I said, he never treated Kawalsky that way. In LC, she looks around the room as if she hasn't been there very often, and she doesn't even know whether he talks to Sara, which I find very unusual. I would bet Daniel knows the answer to that question.
                          I guess I saw Jack's response in Grace to be one of surprise, rather than shutting Sam down, since it is unusual for her to call him Jack. Even when she was near death in Metamorphosis she called him sir, so he probably expected her to do the same here after waking up. Jack may not call Sam by her first name like he did Kawalsky, but that doesn't mean they're not friends, IMO.

And I honestly can't really see Jack talking about his current relationship with Sara with anyone, even Daniel. I mean, even with good friends, there are some subjects you just don't talk about.

sigpic

Comment

Well, Jack hasn't been hesitant about hugging Daniel in Serpent's Lair or Need, or ruffling his hair in this episode, and Teal'c doesn't cozy up to anyone, so I see Sam and Jack in Solitudes or Out of Mind in a similar vein. I mean, yes they're still aware of each physically, but it just doesn't come across as overt as it did in the beginning to me.
                            Really? You don't think Jack's reaction to Sam in those situations was more sexual in nature than his ruffling Daniel's hair?

The friendship I see in BTS is that even though they didn't know who they were, they both still gravitated towards one another and supported each other. Jonah and Thera came across as friends to me, which suggested to me that was something about Sam and Jack's basic personalities that drew them to each other.
                            Here again, the "feeling feelings" statement wasn't about simple friendship to me, nor was the head on the shoulder bit. If it were just about being friends, why the dismay from Jack at the end when she says "sir"? I'd think they'd be happy about everything if it was just about being friends, they'd have had more time to bond. But they were sad because they couldn't continue the relationship they had developed while in the mine. If it were friendship they most certainly could- and there'd be no reason for the angst.

I guess I saw Jack's response in Grace to be one of surprise, rather than shutting Sam down, since it is unusual for her to call him Jack. Even when she was near death in Metamorphosis she called him sir, so he probably expected her to do the same here after waking up. Jack may not call Sam by her first name like he did Kawalsky, but that doesn't mean they're not friends, IMO.
                            It might be interesting for you to take a look at Sam's face in that little bit there. She looks at him like she can't believe what he just said- and it was at that point that she decides to give up on him and look for a romantic relationship with someone else. It was a huge mistake on his part, possibly the biggest one he makes with her in terms of their romance.

And I honestly can't really see Jack talking about his current relationship with Sara with anyone, even Daniel. I mean, even with good friends, there are some subjects you just don't talk about.
                            He had before, when he had only been on two missions with Daniel, and the pain of his separation from Sara was still very fresh.
                            Last edited by VSS; 02 November 2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Ahhhhh! Into the Fire. One of my favorite episodes.

Interesting to read the back and forth between Evenstar and VSS

At the point that Sam went back for Jack, I do think it was more from friendship and a sense of loyalty (no one gets left behind) than a sense of "it's Jack, I have to save him". I believe she would have done the same for Daniel and Teal'c as well.

I also think the hug was innocent in that it was a gut reaction, however once it happened, I think they held on longer than normal, because it felt right. Even then I think they put it down to "heat of the moment" and it doesn't really register with them why it happened. However, I do think that this is the moment when the relationship changes from friendship to something more, even though neither of them realizes yet.

We see it happen again throughout the season. That just under the surface awareness of something, but not quite sure of what it is, between the two of them and it builds up until we get Season 4, which I've always considered the season of ship. But we'll get to that in a couple of weeks I'm sure.

Just one note though on BTS
                              Spoiler:
                              - even my husband, who is not the most astute when it comes to "ship" saw BTS as shippy. They had no memory of who they were, and yet they remembered "feeling feelings" and they were very, very disappointed to realize who they were when they got their memories back. And if you want to read a really good fic on BTS read this one http://www.samandjack.net/fanfics/vi...y.php?sid=1948
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                                Ahhhhh! Into the Fire. One of my favorite episodes.

Interesting to read the back and forth between Evenstar and VSS

At the point that Sam went back for Jack, I do think it was more from friendship and a sense of loyalty (no one gets left behind) than a sense of "it's Jack, I have to save him". I believe she would have done the same for Daniel and Teal'c as well.
                                Yes, I agree; she would have gone back for anyone but I'd suggest the difference is that she's have completed the mission objective first - i.e. planted the C4 and then gone back to revive her teammate, rather than risk reviving a goa'uld.

I also think the hug was innocent in that it was a gut reaction, however once it happened, I think they held on longer than normal, because it felt right. Even then I think they put it down to "heat of the moment" and it doesn't really register with them why it happened. However, I do think that this is the moment when the relationship changes from friendship to something more, even though neither of them realizes yet.

We see it happen again throughout the season. That just under the surface awareness of something, but not quite sure of what it is, between the two of them and it builds up until we get Season 4, which I've always considered the season of ship. But we'll get to that in a couple of weeks I'm sure.
                                And that, is what I was trying to say but of so much more eloquently put.

Ah bless your shippy hubby.

Just to touch on the point about what Jack calls Sam. I do think the fact he stops using her first name is a fairly strong indicator that he's developing feelings. So it's not entirely accidental, albiet I do think it's subconcious. I think he would have carried on calling her Sam otherwise. Then again, you could argue Ladder theory here ( http://ladderwiki.com/wiki/Ladder_Theory ) and say and a man he was always going to size her up and a potential mate. While I agree that's true (as much as I think there was always a latent attraction between them in the same way any of us size up a new person in our lives regardless of our or their availability) I think the key driving factor behind the last name usage is developing emotional connection.
                                I am more confortable with Sam never calling him Jack because, given rank and working relationship, she wouldn't. The only time she uses it is under very extreme circumstances (Solitudes, Lost City etc.), so Jack's surprise at her saying it in Grace is exactly what I'd expect.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X