Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
    There is also a Sam/Jack Ship Appreciation thread and come on this is soap opera stuff. Anyway I'll back off, I'm cranky today. It was a bad day .
    hmm, this sounds familiar.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Today when I was cleaning up the mess my 10 y.o. made with my DVDs, I noticed that the artwork for all of the seasons has Sam and Jack right next to each other in every season but Season 5. In that one, they're as far apart as they can be.

*sob*

I'm going to need my own support group to get through Season 5.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
        Today when I was cleaning up the mess my 10 y.o. made with my DVDs, I noticed that the artwork for all of the seasons has Sam and Jack right next to each other in every season but Season 5. In that one, they're as far apart as they can be.

*sob*

I'm going to need my own support group to get through Season 5.
        okay, you just made me go look (on amazon.com). they might not be right next to each other, but they're both the biggest in the cover, meaning they're the stars. so there's that!
        sally

sigpic

Comment

I noticed that, too. Perhaps they gave him something like dust to blow when he sneezed? Also, he's drinking coffee early in the episode, so here we are in the second season and he still hasn't kicked the habit!
          I thought Teal'c looked very attractive in this episode, it didn't have anything to do with lacking the symbol, though. He didn't look as stern as usual- his face was more relaxed.
          That's the tell, right there. The real Hammond would never bring up Charlie, not after everything Jack has been through to try to put it behind him.
          The second shot of them picking the red and blue flowers bugs me. They're obviously fake plastic flowers just stuck in the ground. Not that I'd expect them to pick the real ones (is that Butchart Gardens?) but even I could have done a better job with the fake ones.
          I always though his mother had a PhD, too. But I don't know why.
          I agree- on the other hand they knew they'd soon be filming Secrets.
          I knew there was an ep that dealt with Sam's mom coming up but couldn't for the life of me remember which season (I could have looked it up online, or walked to my DVD's and checked but nooooo..... it's the guitar. I blame it all on the guitar...)

I agree with you on Teal'c looking more attractive. I'm going to assume Chris is wearing a wig as wasn't he shaving his head? I thought the addition of hair made him look much younger and friendlier... if that's possible by just taking away hair.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            hmm, this sounds familiar.
            I'll ignore that.
            sigpic
            In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
            "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Hi, folks, what at us today? Any new topics?

Comment

As for the snatch-and-grab mission scene with Jack back in 1982 I'll give you the lowdown.

1. Airforce special forces has changed a lot since 1982 so I may not be 100% accurate.

2. I don't even think there was Air Force Special Tactics back in 1982 so this probably never happened. Jack would have had to have been in Army special forces or the Navy SEALs or something back then along with Kowalsky.

3. Never, ever should you duck tape mags like that! With one upside down it bangs up the feed lips and pushes dirt into the magazine which can get in the mechanism of your rifle and cause jamming. What you should do it duck tape them both right side up with something placed in between the mags to space them far enough apart. Taping two mags together is also a waste because it slows down reloading, makes it difficult to place them in mag pouches and unbalances the weapon because it is too heavy. Real spec ops do not do that. Ever.

Now that we're past that I'll get on to the good stuff.

Right off the bat there are some things wrong with their uniforms. Nobody used Velcro on the shoulders of their jackets until the late 90's. Second I don't get what they are wearing, it seems like they are deep in East Germany so they would want to be wearing either civvies or East German Military uniforms. Then we go on to their positioning, standing in the open with weapons talking in English is not a good idea when stealth is what your going for. Also, they are standing where anyone looking out the windows of the target building can see them, not smart, no wonder people were waiting in the bushes. On a good note the duct-taped ALICE gear and weapon slings is mucho authentico . Next the squads use of cover is very wrong, you wouldn't be able to effectively hide and shoot like that. The way you use cover in a real combat situation is not to run up to small objects a put your back to them, that is a Hollywood invention so the view doesn't have to look at the actor's back for 10 minutes. On the sniper thing why is there a dude walking on the roof? A guy hiding on the roof looking around would make sense but its hard to hide a guy (Boris I think) somewhere when you have a man with a gun walking around on your roof, it attracts attention. Using other people a stable shooting platforms is basic sniper tactics so +1 for that. Whats up with the scope though? No crosshairs? Might as well have binoculars. From there the movement is very realistic around the walls in preparations for the attack. The M203's are the old 80's kind so again that adds to the realism. You would; however, move up to the house itself and surround it before launching smoke in. The hazmat headgear is also useless, there is no need if its just smoke grenades and if its teargas then is still overkill (its probably just because they had that prop already). The tactics are off too after this point. If they were going to approach the house then they would do so slowly (relatively) and have at least 2 people covering. They would not jump over a wall either. Those advancing would also have their weapons up so that they could also shoot. Those 3 guys behind the bushes would have been dead in less than a second if they had done it right. Jack's drag is the right way too, by the shoulder strap, but the three tangos were behind a shrubbery so Teal'C had free kills on each. The "silent recon" makes no sense either because that is a no-fire observation mission that they were obviously not doing. If you were in a deniable ops mission in enemy territory then you would bring your dead with you so there would be no proof at all. You would also withdraw orderly with people covering your six.

All in all it was a pretty good military enactment for a television show that, while it may have fallen prey to some hollywood fallacies, came through on most of the details.
                Last edited by Coela Bellatore; 28 May 2009, 01:19 AM.
                sigpic
                In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                  okay, you just made me go look (on amazon.com). they might not be right next to each other, but they're both the biggest in the cover, meaning they're the stars. so there's that!
                  Sally I can count on you to look on the bright side! But do you think that was coincidence- their positioning? I was really quite surprised. I would never have thought they'd go to that level of framing (or not). That's half the reason why I'm keeping track of the seating arrangements- I think the stats are going to tank in Season 5. Which, BTW, I wanted to ask- does their assessment of the MALP footage in the beginning that Amy notice count as a briefing room scene? They're being briefed, after all.
                  Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                  [COLOR="Blue"]I knew there was an ep that dealt with Sam's mom coming up but couldn't for the life of me remember which season (I could have looked it up online, or walked to my DVD's and checked but nooooo..... it's the guitar. I blame it all on the guitar...)
                  Guitar Hero?
                  Originally posted by Kel View Post
                  Hi, folks, what at us today? Any new topics?
                  Hi Kel, we're discussing the Gamekeeper and if you scroll up you'll see the schedule of episodes coming up. But you dan talk about anything shippy thing you want to.
                  Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                  As for the snatch-and-grab mission scene with Jack back in 1982 I'll give you the lowdown.
                  1. Airforce special forces has changed a lot since 1982 so I may not be 100% accurate.
                  2. I don't even think there was Air Force Special Tactics back in 1982 so this probably never happened. Jack would have had to have been in Army special forces or the Navy SEALs or something back then along with Kowalsky.
                  I think that's true- Jack would have been with the Green Berets and if you see Stargate the movie, he is. He even wears the beret. I don't see anything on their uniforms so maybe this is an Army team.
                  Right off the bat there are some things wrong with their uniforms. Nobody used Velcro on the shoulders of their jackets until the late 90's.
                  Yeah, that would be like Jack's Roots cap in 1969.
                  Second I don't get what they are wearing, it seems like they are deep in East Germany so they would want to be wearing either civvies or East German Military uniforms. Then we go on to their positioning, standing in the open with weapons talking in English is not a good idea when stealth is what your going for.
                  Okay, even I noticed that. They all should have been shot right there.
                  On a good note the duct-taped ALICE gear and weapon slings is mucho authentico
                  I went back and looked at the mags and honestly I'm surprised they'd use duct tape at all in RL. But I only have an itty bitty nine mil and to me the residual sticky stuff would gum it up pretty good after a while, I think.
                  Next the squads use of cover is very wrong, you wouldn't be able to effectively hide and shoot like that. The way you use cover in a real combat situation is not to run up to small objects a put your back to them, that is a Hollywood invention so the view doesn't have to look at the actor's back for 10 minutes.
                  Nice diagram! It's counterintuitive that you'd back up like that, but of course geometrically it makes sense, you're less exposed (on the side you're aiming around, anyway) for the same field of vision and the extra distance wouldn't matter much with modern rifles and scopes. I wonder if also why they didn't film it that way (to my knowledge, no one ever does) is that the camera shots would be harder. (Where's a Martin Wood worshipper when you need one?)
                  A guy hiding on the roof looking around would make sense but its hard to hide a guy (Boris I think) Those 3 guys behind the bushes would have been dead in less than a second if they had done it right. Jack's drag is the right way too, by the shoulder strap, but the three tangos were behind a shrubbery so Teal'C had free kills on each. The "silent recon" makes no sense either because that is a no-fire observation mission that they were obviously not doing. If you were in a deniable ops mission in enemy territory then you would bring your dead with you so there would be no proof at all. You would also withdraw orderly with people covering your six.

All in all it was a pretty good military enactment for a television show that, while it may have fallen prey to some hollywood fallacies, came through on most of the details.
                  Thanks for the analysis! I tried to give you some green for all that hard work but it wouldn't let me. And for deciphering the words "silent recon" and "Boris"- I couldn't figure out what they were saying and I especially wondered why they'd want to hide "whores"
                  Last edited by VSS; 28 May 2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks, VSS, because I am not up on theme

Comment

But now I am

Comment

You're welcome!
                        This thread was fairly dormant for a long time, but we revived it to use for the rewatch because the Appreciation thread gets busy and it's hard to follow a conversation when you're being distracted by all that lovely pic spam! And then the Art Thread made some banners for us to use for every episode to spice things up a little. Isn't that cool?

Although, I guess my NASA pictures and Coela's combat diagrams count as art, too!

Comment

Sure it is. And where are these banners?

Comment

Originally posted by Kel View Post
                            Sure it is. And where are these banners?
                            If you look back at the opening posting for each episode the banner is there. That makes it easy to tell which is the first post. For the Gamekeeper, Toomi did the first post (she also happens to post in blue so it's easy to find her comments!). By the time this is done, those guys will have made over 200 banners. Amazing, huh?

It's nice to read the first post so you can follow the conversations from there. Also the person who writes the opening post has recently watched the episode and will usually have questions or comments for us to talk about. But then, of course, people comment on pretty much anything they want to So you don't have to just talk about the episodes.

Comment

It would be great to look at them. I saw this episode many times, not the best but very good, I think I will rewatch it maybe tomorrow evening

Comment

If you look back at the opening posting for each episode the banner is there. That makes it easy to tell which is the first post. For the Gamekeeper, Toomi did the first post (she also happens to post in blue so it's easy to find her comments!). By the time this is done, those guys will have made over 200 banners. Amazing, huh?

It's nice to read the first post so you can follow the conversations from there. Also the person who writes the opening post has recently watched the episode and will usually have questions or comments for us to talk about. But then, of course, people comment on pretty much anything they want to So you don't have to just talk about the episodes.
                                Hey! I didn't know that about the banners! That is so awesome! *plans time to go back and look for them*
                                sigpic
                                Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X