Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    Oh yes. I don't think it's about the equality of strength - really Jack was always going to split up the team with either himself or Teal'c there to look intimidating and thus protect Sam and Daniel, who would be seen as the weak ones. In which case what's interesting is not so much that Jack feels Sam should be protected, but that he chooses to do it himself, almost like he doesn't want to let her out of his sight. Not that he doesn't trust Teal'c to protect her, or that he isn't concerned about Daniel, but that when it comes down to the choice that's the way he goes. If that makes sense
    Back from my three day field op and I miss the super shippy In the Line of Duty . Anyways, I think that Jack is just protecting Sam for her own benefit. As you can see earlier with Vol-whatever it is very possible for the entire team to be overcome and be unable to help eachother. Linea is the only one who can prevent that. Jack seems to have been in prison before so he knows when situations are dangerous. Sam may be able to take care of herself but its pretty hard to fight off a gang rape. Teal'C is scary enough to frighten the creepers off of Daniel (this is prison) and it gives whole new meaning to that scene with Teal' C strangling that guy. Jack is going with Sam because he will recognize stances, looks, voice inflection that Sam will not. Sam is smart but she is naive and I don't think she will know when things are getting bad. I don't really see Jack doing this out of a feeling of protecting Sam, more so that she doesn't end up someones *****. I did notice and overall feeling of protectiveness coming from him though, because of the events of the last episode.
    sigpic
    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
      This is a very interesting point. Perhaps it's because they know that she might become separated from the team at some point and the rest of the denizens need to see Sam take down Vishnu so they'll leave her alone.

Alright, you and Josi just about have me convinced. Although, don't you think Sam+Jack is about equal in strength to Daniel+Teal'c in this instance? Daniel still isn't much of a military man at this point, though he's making a lot of progress as Serpent's Lair demonstrates.
      We also see a lot of shows in which Jack goes off with Teal'c. I do think it's significant when we see Jack pair up with Sam. After all she is military and proved she can fight (Emancipation), but Coela Bellatore does point off this could potentially be against a whole gang, not just one large guy. Now is this time "shippy"? I think more in terms of developing shippyness!
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

I surrender!
        But that's a good point, Amy, and why it gave me pause the first time I watched it- when Jack took off with Sam to go see Linea, I wondered why? Because they are both trained, and let's face it, Jack knew he was in for a long boring discussion. He should have wanted to stay out of that little conversation!

And, well, if we have an actual soldier who agrees with you guys, who the heck am I to argue? BTW, Coela, if you want to talk about ItLoD, feel free. I'm sure we can discuss that until the cows come home. We're not scheduled for new eps until Wednesday.

Also, about Jack being in jail. I'm assuming he meant in Iraq. We have no reason to believe he was in jail stateside, do we?
        Last edited by VSS; 22 May 2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Also, about Jack being in jail. I'm assuming he meant in Iraq. We have no reason to believe he was in jail stateside, do we?
          Yeah I always took it to mean the Iraqi prison he mentions in MoT
          sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I surrender!
            But that's a good point, Amy, and why it gave me pause the first time I watched it- when Jack took off with Sam to go see Linea, I wondered why? Because they are both trained, and let's face it, Jack knew he was in for a long boring discussion. He should have wanted to stay out of that little conversation!

And, well, if we have an actual soldier who agrees with you guys, who the heck am I to argue? BTW, Coela, if you want to talk about ItLoD, feel free. I'm sure we can discuss that until the cows come home. We're not scheduled for new eps until Wednesday.

Nah, you guys have pretty much said everything I would have for that. Look towards the future young cadet!

As for Jails I think he meant a jail stateside. An Iraqi High Value POW prison would be nothing like a communal jail I think Jack is smart enough to know that. If the Iraqi's threw him in a regular prison then I would say that it would make sense because prison culture is very similar everywhere. And as for prison rape, it is always involves more that one person on the violator's side. Before you ask, I have some high school friends.
            sigpic
            In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
            "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

I just finished watching another section of Prisoners. I found a scene that caught me a little off-guard today-Linea is saying how there are thousand of permutation for the Stargate, basically alluding it would be impossible to find a working gate address. Jack says with pride, pointing at Sam, she figured it out. Sam looks embarrassed!

About the Jail conversation, Jack says prison, not jail. Big difference to me. I do think he is alluding to the Iraqi prison that will come up later in the show.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                I just finished watching another section of Prisoners. I found a scene that caught me a little off-guard today-Linea is saying how there are thousand of permutation for the Stargate, basically alluding it would be impossible to find a working gate address. Jack says with pride, pointing at Sam, she figured it out. Sam looks embarrassed!

About the Jail conversation, Jack says prison, not jail. Big difference to me. I do think he is alluding to the Iraqi prison that will come up later in the show.
                Interesting catch there Amy! Do you think she's embarrassed because it shows her intelligence or because she's proud of Jack's pride in her?
                Do you think the fact that she doesn't really trust herself completely as it's so close to ItLoD has any influence - the fact that Jack seems to still trust her implicitly? I've always kinda thought that she's still kinda second guessing herself at this point post-ItLoD, so with Jack seemingly boasting about her achievements do you think this gives her more confidence? From that angle it's possible that she's sort of embarrassed because she's still dealing with issues from ItLoD

or I could be waffling
                sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                  Interesting catch there Amy! Do you think she's embarrassed because it shows her intelligence or because she's proud of Jack's pride in her?
                  Do you think the fact that she doesn't really trust herself completely as it's so close to ItLoD has any influence - the fact that Jack seems to still trust her implicitly? I've always kinda thought that she's still kinda second guessing herself at this point post-ItLoD, so with Jack seemingly boasting about her achievements do you think this gives her more confidence? From that angle it's possible that she's sort of embarrassed because she's still dealing with issues from ItLoD

or I could be waffling
                  Probably a bit of all those things you describe?

Comment

Hmm. I went back and watched that part where Jack tells Linea that Sam made the Stargate work and I think the reason why Sam downplayed her role is because Linea jumped all over it- perhaps as if Sam didn't want Linea to ask her about it? It definitely was an interesting response on her part.

What was even more interesting to me is that he was bragging about her in the first place. Jack said she made it work, when he knows very well that it was a team effort, and that furthermore Daniel had a big hand in it, too. As you all have said, he's boasting about her- Is this the first time that he actually does that? I think it is. Up until now, he's been supportive and trusting of her abilities, but the bragging indicates they're becoming good friends, too. It implies a certain familiarity.

And i agree that he's trying to make her feel better. Isn't that the whole point of bragging about someone when you know they can hear what you're saying? There are a lot of other ways to tell Linea that they know how to work the stargate without bringing Sam into the discussion.

I also want to add that there's a more practical reason why Jack went with her to talk to Linea, besides watching out for her- it's a really long scene where they're right next to each other. I think it's another example of framing, just like in the briefing room. They look cute together, and they're practically touching the whole time. I'd rather look at Jack almost in Sam's lap than in Daniel's.
                    Last edited by VSS; 25 May 2009, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post

or I could be waffling
                      Wow! I'll have to think on that! You certainly gave me a lot to ponder on my trip home! *wonders if dvd is still in computer drive so can check it out while waiting on kids*
                      sigpic

Comment

Hmm. I went back and watched that part where Jack tells Linea that Sam made the Stargate work and I think the reason why Sam downplayed her role is because Linea jumped all over it- perhaps as if Sam didn't want Linea to ask her about it? It definitely was an interesting response on her part.

What was even more interesting to me is that he was bragging about her in the first place. Jack said she made it work, when he knows very well that it was a team effort, and that furthermore Daniel had a big hand in it, too. As you all have said, he's boasting about her- Is this the first time that he actually does that? I think it is. Up until now, he's been supportive and trusting of her abilities, but the bragging indicates they're becoming good friends, too. It implies a certain familiarity.

And i agree that he's trying to make her feel better. Isn't that the whole point of bragging about someone when you know they can hear what you're saying? There are a lot of other ways to tell Linea that they know how to work the stargate without bringing Sam into the discussion.

I also want to add that there's a more practical reason why Jack went with her to talk to Linea, besides watching out for her- it's a really long scene where they're right next to each other. I think it's another example of framing, just like in the briefing room. They look cute together, and they're practically touching the whole time. I'd rather look at Jack almost in Sam's lap than in Daniel's.
                        This is great VSS! But I love that sound of pride when Jack says that Sam was the one who figured out how to work the Stargate. She gets the prettiest smile when he says this, and like VSS said, she downplays it when Linea shows such interest in her. I'd have to say on rewatching that scene, Aveo, that Sam is proud of the fact that Jack is boasting about her. It's like she basking in his warm appraisal of her work. And we all know how Sam so identifies herself based on her job, so this would really warm her all the way to her toes!
                        sigpic

Comment

Howdy folks

Am I right thinking that due to the holiday south of the 49th there's no discussion today????
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                            Howdy folks

Am I right thinking that due to the holiday south of the 49th there's no discussion today????
                            Yes. It was your idea! It would have been Gamekeeper and that would not be a good one to miss for those who are busy.
                            But I guess we still want to chat.

Comment

Yes. It was your idea!
                              But I guess we still want to chat.
                              I couldn't remember... It's been that kind of weekend/day... I'm gonna watch Prisoners and jump in on the discussion then I'll be caught up
                              sigpic

Comment

Here's a question from out of left field for you guys-
                                Do you ever think that Sam and Jack would have kids? Why or why not, and under what circumstances?
                                I'm doing research.
                                Last edited by VSS; 25 May 2009, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X