Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VSS View Post
    Did you notice the Sam and Jack theme song is mentioned in TvTropes.com (as an example of a leitmotif- whatever the heck that is). I think it means theme song!
    Have never been to that website, so ... no. But now I'm going to have to go look.

Comment

Did you notice the Sam and Jack theme song is mentioned in TvTropes.com (as an example of a leitmotif- whatever the heck that is). I think it means theme song!
      Have never been to that website, so ... no. But now I'm going to have to go look.

But, according to Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, leitmotif means:

an associated melodic phrase or figure that accompanies the reappearance of an idea, person, or situation especially in a Wagnerian music drama.
      So "theme song" would seem to be appropriate.

Comment

Did you notice the Sam and Jack theme song is mentioned in TvTropes.com (as an example of a leitmotif- whatever the heck that is). I think it means theme song! I just ran across this today.

Here's the link- scroll down about half a page under "Live action TV"
        Sam and Jack leitmotif
        That was very interesting! How did you ever find this? Search for "Jack and Sam" theme song?
        sigpic
        Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
          That was very interesting! How did you ever find this? Search for "Jack and Sam" theme song?
          I honestly don't remember. I wasn't looking for any kind of song. Some quantum fluctuation in the internet, I guess. However, it is nice to know we're not hearing things.

Comment

!!! I missed a bunch!!! As soon as I have chance I'll have to go and watch the eps I missed.

As for season 1 as a whole, it was definatly eye opening watching it in order, and looking at the relationships that begin to emerge as they were written over 10 years ago. When I first watched season 1 it was after several other seasons and I had already jumped on board this ship of ours and was watching for hints of ship.

It was refreshing to watch and observe the friendships between Jack and Teal'c, Daniel and Sam emerge, to see how Jack's attitude towards his teammates evolved at first and how the beginnings of the team began to form bonds.

Solitudes and There But For The Grace Of God are my favourite episodes. Solitudes for the shippyness it has, and TBFTGOG because I absolutly love time travel/AU stories.

Looking forward to season 2

RL stuff

Spoiler:
            I got promoted last week, effective tomorrow, and I have to train my replacement and learn my new job, hence I've been a little MIA. It'll be a busy few weeks but I'll still be around....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post

Spoiler:
              I got promoted last week, effective tomorrow, and I have to train my replacement and learn my new job, hence I've been a little MIA. It'll be a busy few weeks but I'll still be around....
              Congrats! What is it that you do?

And just to stay on topic: I LOVE SAM + JACK FOREVER!!!
              sigpic
              In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
              "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                Congrats! What is it that you do?

And just to stay on topic: I LOVE SAM + JACK FOREVER!!!
                Thanks

Spoiler:
                Hmmmm... Without saying the company's name... I used to run the warehouse, but am now going to the operations manager position.

Uh... to be on topic....

somewhat...

Out of all the characters on SG-1 during season 1:
                a) Who do you feel evolved more as a character?
                b) Which friendship evolved more overall?

For me:
                a) I feel that both Jack and Teal'c evolved more as a character over this season. Teal'c started out as a malcontent in the enemy and switched sides. He's come to a planet with the hope that the Tau'ri will help him achieve his goal and free the Jaffa.... Jack, we know his character from the movie but I think in season 1 we see him evolve more emotionally.
                b) I'm not sure I can say which friendship evolved more... I can see a definate bond between Teal'c and Jack, and there's a friendship forming between Daniel and Sam. I'd have to think on that one a bit more.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
                  Thanks

Spoiler:
                  Hmmmm... Without saying the company's name... I used to run the warehouse, but am now going to the operations manager position.

Uh... to be on topic....

somewhat...

Out of all the characters on SG-1 during season 1:
                  a) Who do you feel evolved more as a character?
                  b) Which friendship evolved more overall?

For me:
                  a) I feel that both Jack and Teal'c evolved more as a character over this season. Teal'c started out as a malcontent in the enemy and switched sides. He's come to a planet with the hope that the Tau'ri will help him achieve his goal and free the Jaffa.... Jack, we know his character from the movie but I think in season 1 we see him evolve more emotionally.
                  b) I'm not sure I can say which friendship evolved more... I can see a definate bond between Teal'c and Jack, and there's a friendship forming between Daniel and Sam. I'd have to think on that one a bit more.
                  A. I think Jack, but felt like there were quite a few "Daniel" storylines. I don't think Daniel evolved in season one, but thought the character was being brought to the forefront. Jack really "evolved" imho. He went from being strict military to more irreverant, but I could really see the leadership and respect he was building with the team. Sam's character was definitely left wanting.

B. I felt the Jack/Daniel friendship was more developed over season one, but the Jack/Teal'c friendship was also in the running. Jack/Sam was really developed very subtley.
                  sigpic
                  Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

I'm not sure about the various relationships, I guess I'd have to say I can't tell. What I would say is that I am a bit surprised how much it focused on Jack. I guess I should have known that but I am not wise in the ways of the TV world and what it means to be first in the credits or be an EP. Anyway, it seemed to me that unless the particular friendship concerned Jack, it didn't get much screen time.

Comment

They started Season 1 with the known relationships between Jack and Daniel, Jack and Skaara, and Daniel and Sha're from the movie. RDA said early on that he couldn't be the Jack O'Neill that Kurt Russels created. For Jack, I think season 1 was writers knew that they needed to evolve the character for RDA. For Daniel, Michael Shanks was cloning James Spader for the first few episode, but he also began to evolve his character, particular in the latter episodes. Even Teal'c had character development. And they got to use several sci-fi cliches!

I think that Sam got the short end of the stick - spotty and inconsistent development Perhaps because Samantha Carter - an airforce officer adn PHD in Astrophysics - just didn't fit into the typical female role. Thank goodness the writers started listening to Amanda.

As to the Sam/Jack relationship, I don't remember where I read this (might have been one of the season companion books, but the producers wanted to have O"Neill and Carter kiss, but the airforce advisor wouldn't approve it due to the frat regs. So on TBFTGOG, Dr Carter was a civilian.

Comment

For me, Season 1 was more about the team. Yes, there were hints of Sam/Jack, but it was very subtle, and while there was a definite spark from the beginning, S1 was more about them learning to trust and respect each other as well as Daniel and Teal'c, and all 4 of them becoming a team.

I think Jack and Teal'c got the most growth, followed by Daniel, and then Sam. Thankfully in S2, the character of Sam gained a great deal of development.
                        sigpic

Comment

And for your shippy viewing pleasure I give you the Sam and Jack theme song with clips edited by PengYn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8BV...om=PL&index=15

*big shippy sigh*
                          sigpic

Comment

Banner by Rose!

The Serpent’s Lair

Favorite Quote: Captain, if anyone comes in here- bite ‘em in the hand.
                            Favorite scene: When Endeavour comes into view near the end of the episode.

This is one of those episodes that just leaves you feeling all happy inside. I know it’s not cool and artsy for TV to be that way anymore, but that’s what Stargate: SG-1 was good at. I can’t help it if I’m a rube who just wants to be entertained- to have the good guys to win in the end and have a little romance thrown in for interest. That’s why people watch this series over and over, I think.

Anyway. SG-1 is attempting to head off the disaster Daniel encountered in the AU, and so they’ve intervened. In our reality we also have an Alpha site- isn’t this the first time we hear of that? So the best and brightest are ready to go, but one thing they didn’t do was put in enough women. Not even 50/50. That’s a really poor decision if you want to propagate the species.

However, other things are different- and not just because there’s SG-1, but also we have Hammond in charge instead of AUJack. Hammond makes the choice Coela Bellatore argued for earlier- not to send a bomb through to Chulak. I think that’s significant. Are they trying to say Jack would have been a poor choice to be in charge at this point? That may be true. He’s still a bit of a loose cannon.

I’m not sure why Hammond was so irritated with Samuels the entire time. Sure, his idea wasn’t going to work, but neither was Hammond’s. I guess Samuels is just annoying.

The scene where Daniel is shot is touching. Jack is really upset about having to leave him, and Sam knows just what’s going on when he comes back. For all their training, I think the Tau’ri warriors are not as tough on the inside as either the Jaffa rebels or the Tok’ra. They don't seem to accept death. I wonder why the others do?

Daniel makes his way to the sarcophagus, and is healed in a matter of minutes, just like Sha’re was in the movie. However, Klorel took 18 hours to be resurrected. Was that because he was dead and Daniel and Sha’re weren’t? How dead can one be before the sarcophagus doesn’t work anymore? My guess is no longer than 10 minutes at room temperature. After that, you’re really dead.

All right, as a NASA fan I love the ending. And this is also where SG-1 excelled- blurring the edges with real life.
                            Spoiler:
                            Although you can’t just launch a shuttle within hours, it’s really cool to bring in that element and to save the crew with our current technology. It’s a beautiful scene, too. What can I say? I’m an optimistic patriotic softy. But hey- the shuttle has the Canadarm on it- that’s the boom that comes out to pick up the death gliders and put them in the cargo bay. I attended a lecture in Alberta a few years back and learned all about it. Go Canada!

Here’s a picture of the contrail I took from the Kennedy Space Center when I saw STS 117 take off two years ago. That was one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced. So yeah, this is a special ep for me.

Told you I'm a NASA fangirl!

Aw, I love it when Jack calls Daniel “Space Monkey.” And so SG-1 saves the world for the first time. I love it. And Bra-tac! I didn't really understand this character before, but I really like him now. I sure hope that TPTB don’t muck up the formula with the next movie. I want my heroes, and I want them to win and I don’t want any of them to die. They can save the realism for SGU.

Implications for Sam and Jack: This episode drives home the point that each of the team members is valuable in his own way. Maybe they’ll never really figure out how it happened, but in their reality earth is spared. Do they think it’s fate or random chance or divine intervention? Who knows. But I can’t help thinking that Sam and Jack will think back on this event and wonder if their own choice is between saving the world and being together. It’d make me wonder, and also never to want to take the chance. Different fans have surmised that it's not just about the regs- and I agree. But I'm of the opinion that it also has to do with what they've seen happen in these AUs.

Including The Road Not Taken, where Sam married the wrong man, and Continuum where Jack stayed married to the wrong woman and The Ripple Effect where they apparently got it right. Evidently, Jack and Sam being together after Season 8 is just as important as not being together in Seasons 1-8, at least in my little world.
                            Last edited by VSS; 18 May 2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I loved when Sam bit Jack's hand and the little barely seen Jack/Sam hug at the very end...

Comment

Originally posted by Maine_Girl View Post
                                I think that Sam got the short end of the stick - spotty and inconsistent development Perhaps because Samantha Carter - an airforce officer adn PHD in Astrophysics - just didn't fit into the typical female role. Thank goodness the writers started listening to Amanda.
                                Do you think they tried to fit her into the typical female role? I do, and it didn't work out so well. I agree she got the short end.

As to the Sam/Jack relationship, I don't remember where I read this (might have been one of the season companion books, but the producers wanted to have O"Neill and Carter kiss, but the airforce advisor wouldn't approve it due to the frat regs. So on TBFTGOG, Dr Carter was a civilian.
                                When would that have been? Try as I might, I can't come up with any episode where that would have been appropriate, except BD, and they did that. Their relationship was nowhere near that point in this season, i think. In Solitudes, maybe?

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                                And for your shippy viewing pleasure I give you the Sam and Jack theme song with clips edited by PengYn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_8BV...om=PL&index=15

*big shippy sigh*
                                Aw, thanks Kat!

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                                I loved when Sam bit Jack's hand and the little barely seen Jack/Sam hug at the very end...
                                I missed that! Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
                                X