Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by col aga View Post
    I also think we should stick to the original order, meaning GW. Not that my opinion matters since I can't rewatch episodes anyway But sticking to GW we'd avoid situations like in Brief Candle where Jack writes a letter to Sarah and if you didn't see Cold Lazarus first you have no idea who is she.

About your post VSS:
    Spoiler:
    I honestly don't know what to say. Your theory makes sense, at least I can't find any holes in it , but I don't know..moonbase somehow rubs me the wrong way, it just seems so silly and retro sci-fi Besides it opens up a whole new can of worms, like who exactly built the base? when? Why wasn't it noticed by the other countries? Moon is pretty close after all and building something under its surface still requires heavy machinery and people. And then we'd need some "beaming' facility back on Earth, to somehow transport personnel and all things needed. And is the Moon close enough for the point of origin to work? I just don't know..

And yes, as it was mentioned Walter was both off-world (season 7 Fallen/Homecoming) and on-board Prometheus (Prometheus Unbound), so he left Earth on at least 2 occasions..
    Jumping in on SGU speculation...(mild Continuum spoilers)

Spoiler:
    VSS I really like your theory of the moonbase. IMO it would be a great tie-in from Continuum to the start of the new spin-off.

In response to Col Aga's post...at the end of Continuum Sam was all silly about the "moonbase" idea which did make it seem a little retro. But personally I think that that was a) because she was with Jack and he was being goofy b) perhaps because the idea at the time was still a long way off and therefore warranted some jokey scepticism c) because Jack had maybe put forward the idea in a meeting that a moonbase was retro and sci-fi and she was quoting a private joke?

Anyhoo, either way I think the theory of the Icarus base being the moonbase is an interesting one. At the same time, if you listen to the commentary for Continuum you BW or Martin mentions RCC just threw in that "moonbase" comment at the last minute (at least, I think that's on the commentary, if not I don't know where else I heard it), without much thought. Although it does make an interesting jumping off point for a new series/film, part of me believes that PTB wouldn't throw something in glibly then make a whole spin-off about it .

As to who built the base and when, I think those are questions we would get answered in the first few episodes. And in terms of transportation, surely we would have retro-fitted some of the Asgard beaming technology by now?

Not sure if that makes a great deal of sense, I kinda wrote and thought at the same time.

But yeah, really interesting discussion guys !

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
      Jumping in on SGU speculation...(mild Continuum spoilers)

Spoiler:
      VSS I really like your theory of the moonbase. IMO it would be a great tie-in from Continuum to the start of the new spin-off.

In response to Col Aga's post...at the end of Continuum Sam was all silly about the "moonbase" idea which did make it seem a little retro. But personally I think that that was a) because she was with Jack and he was being goofy b) perhaps because the idea at the time was still a long way off and therefore warranted some jokey scepticism c) because Jack had maybe put forward the idea in a meeting that a moonbase was retro and sci-fi and she was quoting a private joke?

Anyhoo, either way I think the theory of the Icarus base being the moonbase is an interesting one. At the same time, if you listen to the commentary for Continuum you BW or Martin mentions RCC just threw in that "moonbase" comment at the last minute (at least, I think that's on the commentary, if not I don't know where else I heard it), without much thought. Although it does make an interesting jumping off point for a new series/film, part of me believes that PTB wouldn't throw something in glibly then make a whole spin-off about it .

As to who built the base and when, I think those are questions we would get answered in the first few episodes. And in terms of transportation, surely we would have retro-fitted some of the Asgard beaming technology by now?

Not sure if that makes a great deal of sense, I kinda wrote and thought at the same time.

But yeah, really interesting discussion guys !
      Spoiler:
      I have no idea how the concept of the moonbase in Continuum relates to Icarus/moonbase now. It could be a retroactive tie-in or pure coincidence. I still think Jack and Sam weren't going off to talk about a moonbase. Even if that's what she said in front of Cam.

Anyway, starlover gave me the idea that something happens to Sam on board the Hammond sometime during the course of the first season of SGU. I think this makes sense because there must be a compelling reason for AT to film an episode of SGU considering how busy she is. Whether its in the defense of Icarus or looking for the Destiny, something happens to her.
      That sets up the third movie.

And I also think that with the new base of operations and the IOA involvement, there's no concern about the regs anymore. I really think the franchise has shifted gears big-time and SG-1 is no longer confined to the USAF so the question of keeping up appearances isn't much of a concern.

Comment

Cold Lazarus

Favorite Quote:
        Hammond (nodding at the staff weapon): Teal’c, you’ll have to leave that here.
        Teal’c: I have seen your world. I will need it.

Favorite Scene: I love Jack and Sara’s interaction just before we hear that gunshot. Has Jack ever looked that happy since? At the very least it shows what he’s capable of emotionally- and how much he’s lost. It’s all right there in that scene.

Thanks, jumble!

The opening scene is also incredible. The colors are fantastic and the team looks so cool with their shades on. The sky is the same color as the crystals. It really is eye candy.

My first thought was that Jack is the only one who could have gone through the gate, the briefing, talked with Sam and left the base all while having been replaced by one of the Unity without anyone thinking anything was seriously wrong. Teal’c would have been killed and Daniel and Sam would have been identified much sooner since they are considerably more animated than Jack. Daniel, Sara and Mike all point out that he’s not much for conversation. I think they more specifically mean talking about his feelings, because he’s not quite as laconic as Teal’c and yet I think Teal’c conveys his emotions better than Jack.

And Jack is completely closed off when it comes to his personal life. They’ve been working together for months and Sam still didn’t know anything at all about his family. And I find it odd that she never asked, either. Is he that intimidating? Or is she not curious?

That picture of Charlie as a baby was heartwrenching. What parent doesn’t have a bathtub picture exactly like that? I think the entire cigar box of mementos was poignant- if he could still see Sara and Charlie every day would that box still be there? What if he had someone to talk to? The letters from Sara show he used to live in Winter Park. Why did they pick that town? I hate gaps in continuity and logic.

Sam seems a little awkward in the locker room with fake Jack, but no more so than she would be with anyone else at that point, I think. It’s really interesting to see how their interactions in close quarters like this change over time.

Fake Jack manages to drive three hours up to Winter Park (good thing it’s summer time) and finds his former residence. There’s a thin, attractive woman with short blonde hair tinkering with an engine in the driveway. Coincidence? I like Sara. Her personality is similar to Sam’s as well- she’s very straightforward. It’s astonishing to me when they’re in the park and she says he never talked about what happened- I have a feeling that is literally true because Sara isn’t prone to drama.

Then the scene shifts to the hospital (which has more employees than the entire population of Winter Park) and Fake Jack starts to disintegrate. Jack and the team show up and it’s very clear he still loves Sara.

Spoiler:
        I also think that the writers conflated electricity and electromagnetic radiation (one looks terrifying, the other sounds terrifying), but I’m not sure those hazmat hoods would do much for either, to be honest. And the airmen in the gate room went over Fake Jack with a Geiger counter when he came in but they picked up no decay, which is usually constant. Oh well.
        I do think it’s cool how Fake Jack could become Fake Charlie and better maintain his integrity. That makes sense. Charlie’s little. It’s the same concept as the shrinking dome in Revisions.

How did the Unity read Jack’s mind? It’s obviously highly intelligent, almost pure intelligence, and highly emotional. In the end, the Unity didn’t so much heal Jack as it did heal Sara- I think the guilt of what he had put her through was every bit as painful as his own suffering over Charlie. It’s also clear that she knows they’re really over now, when she says “We were great together.” (Isn’t that pretty close to what Kerry says? Was that an accident?). Why couldn’t they have reconciled?

Implications for Sam and Jack: Jack can’t communicate his feelings unless he’s possessed by an alien being. That sounds kind of funny, but it’s really not. On the other hand, Jack’s behavior that day shows that when he cares about someone, he cares deeply and doesn’t let go very easily. If one adds up these three facets of his personality, what happens later with Sam should come as no surprise. He falls in love with her, can’t move on and can’t tell her how he feels.

I think there’s quite a lot wrapped up in that “Always.”
        Last edited by VSS; 20 April 2009, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
          Cold Lazarus

Spoiler:
          Favorite Quote:
          Hammond (nodding at the staff weapon): Teal’c, you’ll have to leave that here.
          Teal’c: I have seen your world. I will need it.

Favorite Scene: I love Jack and Sara’s interaction just before we hear that gunshot. Has Jack ever looked that happy since? At the very least it shows what he’s capable of emotionally- and how much he’s lost. It’s all right there in that scene.

Thanks, jumble!

The opening scene is also incredible. The colors are fantastic and the team looks so cool with their shades on. The sky is the same color as the crystals. It really is eye candy.

My first thought was that Jack is the only one who could have gone through the gate, the briefing, talked with Sam and left the base all while having been replaced by one of the Unity without anyone thinking anything was seriously wrong. Teal’c would have been killed and Daniel and Sam would have been identified much sooner since they are considerably more animated than Jack. Daniel, Sara and Mike all point out that he’s not much for conversation. I think they more specifically mean talking about his feelings, because he’s not quite as laconic as Teal’c and yet I think Teal’c conveys his emotions better than Jack.

And Jack is completely closed off when it comes to his personal life. They’ve been working together for months and Sam still didn’t know anything at all about his family. And I find it odd that she never asked, either. Is he that intimidating? Or is she not curious?

That picture of Charlie as a baby was heartwrenching. What parent doesn’t have a bathtub picture exactly like that? I think the entire cigar box of mementos was poignant- if he could still see Sara and Charlie every day would that box still be there? What if he had someone to talk to? The letters from Sara show he used to live in Winter Park. Why did they pick that town? I hate gaps in continuity and logic.

Sam seems a little awkward in the locker room with fake Jack, but no more so than she would be with anyone else at that point, I think. It’s really interesting to see how their interactions in close quarters like this change over time.

Fake Jack manages to drive three hours up to Winter Park (good thing it’s summer time) and finds his former residence. There’s a thin, attractive woman with short blonde hair tinkering with an engine in the driveway. Coincidence? I like Sara. Her personality is similar to Sam’s as well- she’s very straightforward. It’s astonishing to me when they’re in the park and she says he never talked about what happened- I have a feeling that is literally true because Sara isn’t prone to drama.

Then the scene shifts to the hospital (which has more employees than the entire population of Winter Park) and Fake Jack starts to disintegrate. Jack and the team show up and it’s very clear he still loves Sara.

Spoiler:
          I also think that the writers conflated electricity and electromagnetic radiation (one looks terrifying, the other sounds terrifying), but I’m not sure those hazmat hoods would do much for either, to be honest. And the airmen in the gate room went over Fake Jack with a Geiger counter when he came in but they picked up no decay, which is usually constant. Oh well.
          I do think it’s cool how Fake Jack could become Fake Charlie and better maintain his integrity. That makes sense. Charlie’s little. It’s the same concept as the shrinking dome in Revisions.

How did the Unity read Jack’s mind? It’s obviously highly intelligent, almost pure intelligence, and highly emotional. In the end, the Unity didn’t so much heal Jack as it did heal Sara- I think the guilt of what he had put her through was every bit as painful as his own suffering over Charlie. It’s also clear that she knows they’re really over now, when she says “We were great together.” (Isn’t that pretty close to what Kerry says? Was that an accident?). Why couldn’t they have reconciled?
          Implications for Sam and Jack: Jack can’t communicate his feelings unless he’s possessed by an alien being. That sounds kind of funny, but it’s really not. On the other hand, Jack’s behavior that day shows that when he cares about someone, he cares deeply and doesn’t let go very easily. If one adds up these three facets of his personality, what happens later with Sam should come as no surprise. He falls in love with her, can’t move on and can’t tell her how he feels.

Just want to pick up on your conclusion here - I think you're exactly right, but we could broaden it to 'Jack can't talk about his feelings unless influenced by an alien being' - think Divide & Conquer, Beneath the Surface... All of which makes the 'always' so incredibly powerful, because for once, he's being completely honest and completely open and actually admitting it.
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by Toomi View Post
            Really? That's weird... Citizen Joe after Threads.... Kinda kills the mood for Moebius 1 & 2

I'm thinking sticking with the GW one then. Was there a reason why they were switched?

It actually makes more sense if Citizen Joe is after Threads. Sam and Jack were WAY too cozy on the phone in CJ for me to believe that she was still engaged to Pete at that point.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
              It actually makes more sense if Citizen Joe is after Threads. Sam and Jack were WAY too cozy on the phone in CJ for me to believe that she was still engaged to Pete at that point.
              OMG!!! I completely forgot about that scene, or at least forgot it was in CJ. Such a cute little scene *feeling an urge to watch CJ* Off to watch CL now...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                Yeah, but Jack said he was going to meet with the new CIA agent, Johnson, whom he clearly hadn't met yet. And then there are all the little secrets Joe almost spills about Jack's feelings and what Jack thinks about Pete Shanahan.

Those issue are resolved by the end of Threads. Fortunately.

I think Sam just had inappropriate feelings for her CO, still, and that's what that little telephone scene is all about. Here she is, supposedly getting married but instead is calling Jack at home on her day off instead of being with you-know-who.

Comment

Yeah, but Jack said he was going to meet with the new CIA agent, Johnson, whom he clearly hadn't met yet. And then there are all the little secrets Joe almost spills about Jack's feelings and what Jack thinks about Pete Shanahan.

Those issue are resolved by the end of Threads. Fortunately.

I think Sam just had inappropriate feelings for her CO, still, and that's what that little telephone scene is all about. Here she is, supposedly getting married but instead is calling Jack at home on her day off instead of being with you-know-who.
                  I was going to say this, but VSS said it so much better!
                  sigpic
                  Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                    I was going to say this, but VSS said it so much better!
                    No, I just said it faster.

Comment

Fave Quote:Hammond: Teal'c you'll have to leave that here.
                      Teal'c: I have seen your world. I will need it.

ETA: I see VSS and I picked the same quote Here's another good one (more like quotes)

Teal'c: You received permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the Gate Room?
                      [Daniel and Carter look shifty.]
                      Sam: Oh yeah.
                      Daniel: Absolutely.

Fave Scene: Ohhhhh, I can't pick just one. Sam in the lab doing the experiements. Jack and Sara with cloneCharlie at the end.

I love how we see a world that is completely alien to ours. That insanely vivid yellow against a gorgeous blue sky is quite the picture. I can't remember if we see anything quite that alien in the rest of the series.

I can't help but wonder if these crystals are 'realted' somehow to

SGA season 4
                      Spoiler:
                      the ones on Doppelganger. Perhaps they 'called' to Jack much as they did to Sheppard (or I guess the other way around seeing as Cold Lazarus came first)

His team doesn't notice anything wrong showing again how little they really know him. Despite Jack's way of concealing his emotions they can usually tell when something isn't quite right, just not what or why.

Why isn't Jack seated during the briefing?

The box of pictures. It almost brings a tear to my eye. The thought of Jack keeping those keepsakes at work, pictures of Charlie over the years, his wedding band, etc. Why doesn't he have those at home? Why are they at work?

Sam trying to kick Jack out of the locker room is humerous. She's obviously awkward but it's funny. Then she babbles about her own family, about being an Auntie and not seeing her nephew and neice very often. When Jack leaves he calls her Sam. Is this the first time he does that?

Sam seems shocked that Jack is married, probably because he never mentionned it and she assumed there was no family. Daniel tells Sam about Jack's history, just a brief bit and Sam seems even more shocked and saddened. She says herself that she assumed he didn't have a life outside of work. Doesn't Jack joke at some point about Sam getting a life?

Teal'c, I think, is the only one that thinks something's not quite right with Jack when he encounters the clone on the base.

When Sam gets to the lab where the crystals are, is this the first time we see her in a lab? The lady who talks to her immediatly talks to her as though Sam is the leader, reporting any findings and suggesting what to check out.

Sara's wearing a wedding band, unless I'm getting left and right confused again. I find it interesting how she looks a little similar to Sam. She talks to him bitterly at first, abrupt and almost rude. I wonder how often they have talked since the divorce. When CloneJack comments that he wants to see Charlie, Sara looks as though she thinks Jack has lost it finally.

When Teal'c is watching the TV he is getting an interesting picture of our world. Fighting, stock market crashes and some music video. No wonder he thinks the world is a dangerous and miserable place.

I love how Sam and Daniel burst into the room. She's brimming over with exctiement and Daniel seems to be just following her and joining in. I think by this point that Sam and Daniel have begun to forge a friendship, yet he still calls her Captain Carter when the crystal does it's expanding thing.

Watching the happyJack embrace his wife, seeing the memories of Charlie, it's so sweet yet so sad. I can't imagine loosing a child. Jack's whole life fell apart and he couldnt' deal with it, only lock it all up inside. What could've happened if he hadn't held it all in? Sara's dad says she's still not over Jack, would they have managed to work it out? I think they would and we'd be looking at a very different SG-1.

When cloneJack is talking to Jack in the hospital about Charlie and the pain of his death, Sam and Daniel are right there listening to everything and it's gotta be heartwrenching just being in the same room. A man who shows little emotion being faced with his worst nightmare and having to remember his son. I don't think I could've been there and not broken down for Jack's sake.

I think it's at the end when Sara realises just how top secret Jack's work has been and perhaps finally forgive him for some of his 'darkness' and secretiveness. When her and Jack hug and say to each other that they were great, it's a final goodbye. Their final bond was the sorrow over their son and they faced it together for perhaps the first time.

I have grown to like this episode as it shows a past and future happening. It shows Jack's past to his team mates, and begins to show Sam and Daniel becomming closer towards friendship. I also enjoy Sam's enthusiasm at being in a lab and performing experiments. You can see her pure joy at doing the sciencey stuff and it's contagious. Teal'c, while he wasn't there for the initial experimentation, eagerly tagged along when invited.

Implications for Sam and Jack: We definatly see the softer side of Jack in this and Sam was there (along with the rest of SG-1) to witness it. She finds out that he had a family, and what happened. This gives Sam some insight into what kind of man he is and how he got to the point he did. It also shows us the depth of love that Jack is capable of. I don't mean that in a mean way as though he isn't capable of it at all, but that he loves wholeheartedly and once you're in his life, he still cares about you even though he doesn't show it.
                      sigpic

Comment

That's a really good point. I never thought of it that way, but you're definatly right. If it had been anyones else someone (probably Jack) would've figured out they weren't quite themselves probably before they got off the gateramp.

I think she's probably curious but he's her CO. She's a Captain and he's a Colonel. It wouldnt' look good if she was fishing for info on her CO on base and I think she's probably already figured out he's a pretty closed off guy. Life off the base probably doesn't come up much in conversation so there's no real chance to ask candid questions. I don't think he's intimidating, just that she probably preceives it's not her place to ask or doesn't feel like she knows him well enough to know what's a safe topic or not.

Well the last time we saw her in the locker room she jumped him That might make someone a little nervous.

Spoiler:
                        Mini Squeeeeeee
                        sigpic

Comment

I really like this episode. I think it's one of my favourites in the entire series - not in the top 10 or anything, but still very liked.

I love how we see a world that is completely alien to ours. That insanely vivid yellow against a gorgeous blue sky is quite the picture. I can't remember if we see anything quite that alien in the rest of the series.
                          I don't think we do, which is a real shame, because I agree with you it's gorgeous. In the first season they really made the effort to show very different planets, not just forests. We also see oceans, beaches, mountains, caves, underground, *cough*ice planet*cough, desserts..

The box of pictures. It almost brings a tear to my eye. The thought of Jack keeping those keepsakes at work, pictures of Charlie over the years, his wedding band, etc. Why doesn't he have those at home? Why are they at work?
                          Sam seems shocked that Jack is married, probably because he never mentionned it and she assumed there was no family. Daniel tells Sam about Jack's history, just a brief bit and Sam seems even more shocked and saddened. She says herself that she assumed he didn't have a life outside of work. Doesn't Jack joke at some point about Sam getting a life?
                          I have one answer to both questions. IMO Jack is as big a workaholic as Sam or Daniel, and I think for all his nagging at them to leave and "get a life" he's not much better. His work is his life, especially in the beginning when he's still struggling with Charlie's death and Sarah leaving him, so he buries himself in his work. He probably spends more time on base than at his home, so it makes sense to keep the box where he can reach it easily. And that's why Sam's so surprised at the idea of him having a family - she probably noticed him working all the time, which he wouldn't do having someone to come home to.

Sam trying to kick Jack out of the locker room is humerous. She's obviously awkward but it's funny. Then she babbles about her own family, about being an Auntie and not seeing her nephew and neice very often. When Jack leaves he calls her Sam. Is this the first time he does that?
                          I believe so. It's sort of funny that they usually call each other by name when they are not themselves or under alien influence..

Sara's wearing a wedding band, unless I'm getting left and right confused again. I find it interesting how she looks a little similar to Sam. She talks to him bitterly at first, abrupt and almost rude. I wonder how often they have talked since the divorce. When CloneJack comments that he wants to see Charlie, Sara looks as though she thinks Jack has lost it finally.
                          Okay, I have a question. Do we know for sure they are divorced at this point? I always thought Sarah left him and they left it at that, officially. or maybe were in separation, and the divorce happened later during the season, off screen..?

Watching the happyJack embrace his wife, seeing the memories of Charlie, it's so sweet yet so sad. I can't imagine loosing a child. Jack's whole life fell apart and he couldnt' deal with it, only lock it all up inside. What could've happened if he hadn't held it all in? Sara's dad says she's still not over Jack, would they have managed to work it out? I think they would and we'd be looking at a very different SG-1.
                          You know, yesterday I watched "Heroes part 1", and then somebody on the forum wrote that they don't understand what Jack gave up for the program. And I thought, that maybe his marriage to Sarah was a casuality of the SGC's existance? Maybe after the whole experience with the crystals and saying goodbye he could have reconcilled with Sarah, but decided not to because he started to suspect how wacky things can get and he didn't want to put Sarah through it again? He probably thought he might have become a danger to her at some point, not to mention that yet again he wouldn't have been able to tell her anything about what he does.

Also, I like Sarah and I can see why Jack would fall for her. Her physical similarity to Sam is a bit irksome - seriously, I don't get why they made them both so alike - but apart from this she seems to be a great person.

It's another thing that annoys me in the fanfics - the demonisation of Sara.
                          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                          sigpic
                          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                            Just want to pick up on your conclusion here - I think you're exactly right, but we could broaden it to 'Jack can't talk about his feelings unless influenced by an alien being' - think Divide & Conquer, Beneath the Surface... All of which makes the 'always' so incredibly powerful, because for once, he's being completely honest and completely open and actually admitting it.
                            Oh, nice point. Jack's about as poor as they come in communication skills. It's lucky an alien influence does come along once in a while!

Teal'c: You received permission for me to fire my staff weapon in the Gate Room?
                            [Daniel and Carter look shifty.]
                            Sam: Oh yeah.
                            Daniel: Absolutely.
                            I laughed at that scene. Science twins. They're so cute when they'e up to something.

Why isn't Jack seated during the briefing?
                            I think he's trying to figure out where he is and what he's doing. He made the Random Seating Arrangement quotient rise back up to 11%, because it's clear he was at the table. Darn that Fake Jack.

Yes. Jack wouldn't be on it.

Implications for Sam and Jack: We definatly see the softer side of Jack in this and Sam was there (along with the rest of SG-1) to witness it. She finds out that he had a family, and what happened. This gives Sam some insight into what kind of man he is and how he got to the point he did. It also shows us the depth of love that Jack is capable of. I don't mean that in a mean way as though he isn't capable of it at all, but that he loves wholeheartedly and once you're in his life, he still cares about you even though he doesn't show it.[/COLOR]
                            I wonder why, after seeing all of this and what happened with Kawalsky, that Sam didn't push Jack a little harder after Grace. Did she forget what she saw in these early months? How he feels things deeply but doesn't show a thing, even when there aren't rules that forbid it? Or did she get tired of trying to figure him out?

[QUOTE=Toomi;10067575]
                            I think she's probably curious but he's her CO. She's a Captain and he's a Colonel. It wouldnt' look good if she was fishing for info on her CO on base and I think she's probably already figured out he's a pretty closed off guy. Life off the base probably doesn't come up much in conversation so there's no real chance to ask candid questions. I don't think he's intimidating, just that she probably preceives it's not her place to ask or doesn't feel like she knows him well enough to know what's a safe topic or not.
                            But they've spent plenty of time just hanging out off world- around the campfire or whatever. She jumped right in when she saw the box of pictures- it's just a very common conversation starter to ask about family.

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                              I have one answer to both questions. IMO Jack is as big a workaholic as Sam or Daniel, and I think for all his nagging at them to leave and "get a life" he's not much better. His work is his life, especially in the beginning when he's still struggling with Charlie's death and Sarah leaving him, so he buries himself in his work. He probably spends more time on base than at his home, so it makes sense to keep the box where he can reach it easily. And that's why Sam's so surprised at the idea of him having a family - she probably noticed him working all the time, which he wouldn't do having someone to come home to.
                              I'm not sure that he's a workaholic except in terms of being ready to go out on missions any time. After all, this is the man who doesn't know he has a desk even after seven years on the job. His work is field work. What's he going to do at the base? I'm not sure what he does with himself besides look through a telescope. Which is an interesting vocation- by default it's a solitary pursuit.

Okay, I have a question. Do we know for sure they are divorced at this point? I always thought Sarah left him and they left it at that, officially. or maybe were in separation, and the divorce happened later during the season, off screen..?
                              That's a very good question because I was almost sure that somewhere in these early episodes we find out that they're divorced. But I don't know where. It's before Solitudes, I think.

You know, yesterday I watched "Heroes part 1", and then somebody on the forum wrote that they don't understand what Jack gave up for the program. And I thought, that maybe his marriage to Sarah was a casuality of the SGC's existance? Maybe after the whole experience with the crystals and saying goodbye he could have reconcilled with Sarah, but decided not to because he started to suspect how wacky things can get and he didn't want to put Sarah through it again? He probably thought he might have become a danger to her at some point, not to mention that yet again he wouldn't have been able to tell her anything about what he does.
                              Oh, for a minute there I thought you meant causality and I thought we were going to get into some deep quantum theory. Whew!

I had never really thought of this possibility before, so that's an interesting point. I guess think there wasn't any hope. Jack had already left town and moved away by the time we see him on his roof in CotG. Maybe that's why they had his original home be so far away from Colorado Springs. Plus, he'd been in special forces, I'm not sure that this would be so different from that in terms of the impact on his family. And then there's that whole horrible conversation in Affinity about family life and the SGC.

It's another thing that annoys me in the fanfics - the demonisation of Sara.
                              I don't get that, either. I like her.

Comment

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed (which it probably has) but what is everyones thoughts/feelings/hopes of anything Jack/Sam in the 3rd movie?
                                Do you think there will be any moments between them no matter how much of a small hint?
                                "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Working...
                                X