No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really sorry everybody...RL has been kicking my butt lately. I will absolutely, positively have the review for 2001 posted tonight!
    sigpic

----------
    FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Banner by jasminaGo

Original Airdate: August 31, 2001
      Written by Brad Wright
      Directed by Peter DeLuise

Summary

Remember those aliens from 2010 who literally took over the world? Well...they're baaaack!

It's 2001 again and on a standard, good old, regular mission, SG-1 meets an amazing technologically advanced race that is willing to help them in their fight against the Goa'uld. The Aschen seem to offer them everything they've been searching the galaxy for and have offered to make them a part of their confederation in return for gate addresses. Is it all too good to be true? Of course it is.

So when SG-1 heads back to Volian with Ambassador Joe Faxon to negotiate the treaty between the two worlds, Jack and Sam handle the talks, and Teal'c and Daniel go off in search of information from the locals. When one of the farmers says he needs help with some “iron root” in his field, they go check it out and lo and behold they find an underground structure that looks like it used to be a great city. Daniel, of course, heads to the local library where he finds a scroll that tells of the “visitors” and a vaccine they provided the Volians for a terrible plague. It also tells of a side effect from the vaccine but Daniel is unable to translate the entire text.

Enter everyone's favorite Senator to throw a wrench into the mix. Kinsey takes over the negotiation and forbids Jack to be a part of the next step. This leaves everything up to Sam and the ambassador to figure out. Daniel writes the word he can't translate on a piece of paper and tells Sam to show it to one of the Aschen and ask him what it says. They find out that the Aschen took over Volian by systematically sterilizing the population in the same way we saw them sterilizing the people of Earth in 2010.

Sam and Joe are locked in the room while Mollem and Boren run off with the laptop and what they think are the gate addresses Earth promised, but Sam hears the gate being dialed and using a rope from her pack she repels down to see what's going on. As the chevrons continue to lock, Sam sees a bioweapon just like the one the Aschen had promised to share with them being prepared to send through the gate to Earth. Sam sends her IDC and yells to Joe. He tells Sam to go without him and continues to fight with Boren and with the biggest apology you'll ever see just by looking into someone's eyes, Sam cuts her rope and tumbles violently out of the other end of the gate yelling for the iris to be closed.

Kinsey pitches a fit, Jack antagonizes him further, Teal'c makes a funny, and finally someone asks Sam if she's ok. After all, she did just save the world, again.

Favorite Lines

You gotta be careful of the world how unless you really wanna know.

It's the shoes. They're gonna get ruined. It's a farm planet.

Oh, God, I hope not, probably though.

Mollem: You'll find we're a very patient people Ambassador, I look forward to our future together. ( I just love the foreshadowing (after shadowing??)...alternate time lines give me a headache.)

You were probably trying to limit the causality violation by keeping it simple.
      I wonder whose idea that was?

Senator Kinsey appears most displeased.
      Yeah, that's a cryin' shame.

Memorable Moments

There are several things I really like about this episode. I love the “accordion” shot of the team giving Joe the once over when he shows up for his first trip through the gate. That whole scene makes me laugh. I also love the way Jack is totally amused by Joe and his efforts to get to know Sam. It's like it's no big deal and he just shrugs it off like he knows nothing will ever come of it.

It's yet another episode that raises the question of what will the United States do and how will they handle having to share the stargate with everyone else in the world. This gets mentioned here and there but we really don't see the issue being dealt with until the IOA comes in to play later on.

I love the exchange between Jack and Sam when he is talking about the note and how he hopes he'll put more information in it. The “I wonder whose idea that was?” line is so cute. It implies that he is quite certain that ten years down the road Sam is still there, with him...*sigh*

Though in 2010 we see this thick, thick tension between Sam and Jack, we are not given a glimpse into that in this episode.

Does anyone else think that Boren looks surprised when Sam has him read the note?

Gotta love the end with Jack antagonizing Kinsey and everyone else just watching. And speaking of just watching, how come no one except the medic approaches Sam as she lies on the gate ramp? I've always thought it strange that not one of the guys moves to help her and even when Hammond says “Let's get her to the infirmary,” no one moves! What's up with that?

Shippy Moments

As I mentioned before, I like the way Jack laughs off Joe's advances toward Sam. We see a playful side of him as he comments about the shoes and Kansas and it all starts with the line in the beginning about using the word how.

Overall I'd give this episode an 8 out of 10. Nothing glaringly upsets me or makes me dislike it.
      As for shippyness I'll have to say about a 5 out of10. Nothing too blatant but enough interaction to keep me watching.
      sigpic

----------
      FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

Nice review DKScully!

I love the part about "iron root". Yeh, it's a piece of iron and it's stuck in the ground like a root. Makes sense. But the fact the farmer has a name for it is totally hilarious.

And Sam on the ramp. "My shoulder is probably dislocated but y'know, I said I'm fine so it's cool, y'all don't need to help me or anything." Heh
        Mistake on the writers part, I suspect. They mentioned as much in the commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by ajay View Post
          Nice review DKScully!

I love the part about "iron root". Yeh, it's a piece of iron and it's stuck in the ground like a root. Makes sense. But the fact the farmer has a name for it is totally hilarious.

And Sam on the ramp. "My shoulder is probably dislocated but y'know, I said I'm fine so it's cool, y'all don't need to help me or anything." Heh
          Mistake on the writers part, I suspect. They mentioned as much in the commentary.
          You may know this already, but the real life reason for why Sam was left laying on the ramp with no one coming to her side except the medics, is that they were filming late that day, everyone was really tired and didn't want to wait around for the cameras to be moved around for more angles on that scene ... so they all just stood there looking like a bunch of people gathered at the site of an accident where they all look and do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            You may know this already, but the real life reason for why Sam was left laying on the ramp with no one coming to her side except the medics, is that they were filming late that day, everyone was really tired and didn't want to wait around for the cameras to be moved around for more angles on that scene ... so they all just stood there looking like a bunch of people gathered at the site of an accident where they all look and do nothing.
            Yep, what she said. From what I remember, it was mostly the guys who didn't want to lol. (I could be wrong, though.)

Nice job, Scully

This is one of the eps that I like, because, even though we're dealing with (what we know to be) bad guys, there isn't a whole lot of imminent danger. And until I had the DVDs, I always wondered about that last scene, and why no one was running to help Sam.

Comment

We are putting together a blog post for Ship Day for the Sam and Jack Awards blog...does anyone have any objections to us using any of their quotes from our discussions about Divide and Conquer???
              sigpic

----------
              FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I'm not likely to offer any, but go for it from me.
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Fine by me.

Comment

Didn't think people would really mind but had to ask
                    sigpic

----------
                    FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

I'm back from my visit with my mom! I forgot I volunteered for a review while I was out of town! *sigh* you can give me 40 lashes...
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Shall I watch Desperate Measures and still do the review???
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          Shall I watch Desperate Measures and still do the review???
                          I was just thinking about that. How about we shift everything back a week?

NEW Season 5 Rewatch Schedule:

Aug. 3: Desperate Measures - SaraBahama
                          Aug. 6: Wormhole X-Treme - ajay
                          Aug. 10: Proving Ground - SaraBahama
                          Aug. 13: 48 Hours - Robinbishop1231
                          Aug. 17: Summit - Sparky She-Demon
                          Aug. 20: Last Stand - Sparky She-Demon
                          Aug. 24: Fail Safe - neverendingimagination
                          Aug. 27: The Warrior - Everlovin
                          Sept. 3: Menace - IamDKScully
                          Sept. 7: The Sentinel - hlndncr
                          Sept. 10: Meridian - Everlovin
                          Sept. 13: Revelations - Robinbishop1231

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                            I'm back from my visit with my mom! I forgot I volunteered for a review while I was out of town! *sigh* you can give me 40 lashes...
                            I won't be here in August to crack the whip. So if anyone else falls down on the job I'll just have to kill them with my mind.

Comment

*snort-choke*
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Starting just a *little* early because I need sleep:

Ship Day 2014

Don't forget to subscribe See you all tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X