No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reviews Trooper and LCJS!

Comment

What hlndncr said

Comment

Even though the rewatch isn't until the new year, I already know which episodes I want to review!
        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Hi all!

To finish our season four rewatch I will post my review for Exodus tomorrow.

Then I'm looking forward to all the shippy holiday goodies I'm sure everyone is working on.

Comment

Huh. Did you just remove your review, hlndncr? I was reading it and noticed it seemed to be missing a few words at the end so I refreshed the page (thinking you might have edited it by now) and it was gone!
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Summary
              SG-1 takes the family road trip from hell.

Favorite Scene
              Jack and Jacob argue over strategy for fighting the goa'uld.

Actually, anytime Jacob and Jack are together I'm a happy camper. I just love the fond adversarial nature of their relationship.

Favorite Lines

It's a Jaffa revenge thing.

That's ambitious. (Jack and Daniel's reaction to Sam and Jacob's plan to blow up a sun.)

Well it was kind of a trade deal. Cronus gave us his ship and he got what was coming to him. (Jack explaining to Tanith how SG-1 got a hold of a goa'uld mothership.)

General Analysis
              This is a season finale and it shows. The effects are enormous, the story sweeping, there's action, suspense and an emotional rollercoaster for all of our characters.

As always, I'm thrilled to have Jacob along for the ride. He's just one of the family in my opinion. I also like that this is a truly ensemble show. Each of the characters have their moments and their piece of the story. There's the continuing wariness between Jack and the Tok'ra and his sometimes testy interactions with Jacob. Sam gets to blow up a sun. Teal'c has his showdown with Tanith. And Daniel holds the emotional center, lending balance and support to each of his friends in turn.

I do have to say that the Tok'ra are seriously the most ineffective prison guards in the history of the universe. There is no way Tanith should have been able to escape. If they were so worried about the host why didn't they do the extraction process right away or if they had to wait, why not sedate him? And seriously three armed Tok'ra couldn't keep him down?!

I love that Jack is in a playful mood throughout this episode. Even with a lot of really serious things going on around him he's still giddy over their last victory over Cronus and so excited about his new toy. And as always, he looks seriously HOT!

Exhibit A

I think Daniel's conversation with Teal'c about the Jaffa revenge thing was very poignant. These are the two who have suffered the most at the goa'uld's hands. While I understand Teal'c's anger and need for retribution, he should have listened to Daniel. Taking the other way (as Daniel suggested) may or may not have destroyed Tanith, but it would have saved Teal'c a lot of trouble and pain brought on by his inability to focus on the bigger picture.

Sam and Jack
              There's very little direct interaction between Sam and Jack in this one. As is often the case the understated looks between AT and RDA sell it.

First, I can't help but thinking when Jack and Jacob were having their little walkie/talkie that Jacob walks away from Jack thinking, "I can't believe my daughter fell you." And Jack is left standing there thinking, "We'll Sam likes me." But that's just me making up ship in my head. It happens.

So actual interaction during the show . . .

When Jack has to decide whether to allow Sam and Jacob to blow up the sun he certainly depends on Sam's advice. She is the one urging him to it far more than Jacob and when he relents you can tell he's doing it because of the trust and confidence he has in Sam's ability to make their crazy plans work.

Sam shows a lot of concern for Jack and Teal'c when they head out in the glider. Then when Teal'c decides to go in to stop the Alkesh from picking up Tanith the exchange between Sam and Jack just sounds really domestic to me:

Yeah well seems we're going after him.

It's a Jaffa revenge thing.

Sir, you only have a little more than an hour.

Ahh Carter relax. We'll be back in plenty of time.

It's like she's saying, "You promised to be home in time for dinner. This casserole won't keep while were waiting around for you to destroy the enemy." And he replies, "Don't worry, Dear. I'm not going to miss dinner by getting stuck on a planet that's about to be incinerated."

Ah, family time at the O'Neill household.

The only real scene between Sam and Jack is in the cargo hold when she releases the gate. There's no real reason for Jack to be there. So I assume two things. 1) Jack thinks blowing up a sun is cool and he wants to watch. 2) Jack thinks Sam blowing up a sun is hot and he wants to watch. There is some not so subtle innuendo to support my position. ("They say the first one's always the hardest.")

Rating
              Overall this is a great story with a good cliffhanger and many wonderful character moments. I give it a 9/10.

For shippiness, it's a lot more subtle, paving the way for the obscuring and suppression of the ship throughout the coming season. That makes me just a little sad; so I give it a 5/10.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                Huh. Did you just remove your review, hlndncr? I was reading it and noticed it seemed to be missing a few words at the end so I refreshed the page (thinking you might have edited it by now) and it was gone!
                Somehow I hit a wrong key and it posted while I was still writing it. It's done now and posted in it's entirety. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Ah, good to know. I was starting to worry I was imagining things
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post

Summary
                    SG-1 takes the family road trip from hell.

I think Daniel's conversation with Teal'c about the Jaffa revenge thing was very poignant. These are the two who have suffered the most at the goa'uld's hands. While I understand Teal'c's anger and need for retribution, he should have listened to Daniel. Taking the other way (as Daniel suggested) may or may not have destroyed Tanith, but it would have saved Teal'c a lot of trouble and pain brought on by his inability to focus on the bigger picture.
                    Interesting observation given how harsh Teal'c is later with Ishta for not being able to see the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      Interesting observation given how harsh Teal'c is later with Ishta for not being able to see the bigger picture.
                      Good point. I think Teal'c can be rather myopic when it comes to his own issues, which does make him seem hypocritical at times.

Comment

Great review, hlndncr! I love this episode. Jack is hot and awesome and Sam gets to blow up a sun, which will haunt her for the rest of the series!

SJ_green.gif

Comment

i remember me and my dad both laughing at Jack's "mayday. Mayday. We are SO going in" line when the glider is caught in the al'kesh's explosion.

Comment

[slash]you also forgot about the whole dialing up the gate scene and sam was confiding in jack that she hadn't blown up a sun before and jack's says "well they say the first one is always the hardest" and she just looks at him and he whispers "they say that"[/SLASH]

never mind
                            Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 07 November 2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for a great review, hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                                Good point. I think Teal'c can be rather myopic when it comes to his own issues, which does make him seem hypocritical at times.
                                Yeah and it's not like we can say he has learned from his mistakes by then (season 4 vs 7 or 8), since he goes on his Jaffa revenge thing again with Arkad (I think?) in season 10...
                                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X