Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    Oh, that's right. He is in Enemy Mine. Totally forgot about that one. Of course that's an Unas episode so I can be forgiven for trying to forget, right?

You're forgiven. Not one of my favorite episodes either.

Comment

Jack should have replaced Sam in the sub, not Daniel. Sam and Teal'c could have handled Mayborne. Plus we rarely get to see Sam and Teal'c work together. It would have been a nice change. In fact, a lot of season four, especially in the first half, had the team split Jack/Teal'c and Sam/Daniel. (SV: J/T in sub, D watching outside, S with Thor; TOS: J/T in aerowing fighters S/D at SGC; Crossroads: J/T dealing with Tok'ra, S/D doing nothing much; WoO: J/T in time loop, S/D not; Watergate: J/T on base, S/D on sub; PoNR: J/T with Martin, S/D captured in warehouse; Tangent: J/T in X-301, S/D on ground; Curse: J/T fishing, S/D in Egypt.) They should have mixed things up a bit more.

Jack was willing to protect and save a living, breathing society that was right there verses the potential for the rebirth of a society that had been destroyed long ago. That seems very in character to me and has a defensible logic to it.
      Good points, yes. thank you. Maybe they tried to hint some S/D relationship there and then "surprise" us in D&C. I don't know...
      sigpic
      Thank you Britta for this lovely picture.

Comment

I enjoy reading the reviews and comments - thanks to you all

Comment

it's my birthday!

Comment

by Regularamanda

Summary:When his former mentor dies, Dr. Jackson returns to his roots -- and discovers an ancient Egyptian artifact containing a Goa'uld parasite.

[COLOR=""]Favorite Lines: When Jack asks Sam (yet again) to come along to the cabin with him and Teal'c.
            If the Tok'ra ask for help, tell them to forget it![/COLOR]

[COLOR=""]Favorite Scene:When Sam and Janet are working with the Isis jar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=""]Discussion: Daniel's the main focus of this episode, and generally I don't particularly care for them. Though I found this one particularly interesting. We got to see parts of Daniel's life from before he joined the Stargate program. We find out that Daniel left his mentor and girlfriend behind in Chicago to protect them from his "crackpot" theories. [/COLOR]

Episode rating: 8 out of 10

S/J rating: 6 out of 10
            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Thanks for the review Sparky. As they say, brevity is the soul of wit. I, on the other hand have never been very witty.

I really enjoy The Curse. I think it is a fun little murder mystery with a Stargate twist.

I also like getting to know a little more of Daniel's past and seeing what his life looks like to those on the outside. I always enjoy getting that take. I wish we would have seen more of it from the other characters, particularly with Sam and her brother Mark.

Watching the episode knowing the ending gives everything Sarah does a more sinister twist. In my opinion she was a goa'uld all along. But that's never made clear. So what do you think?

CJ complained about his character being underused in this episode. I have to agree. In fact, I think Teal'c has been largely ignored this whole season. He is their muscle and a source of information when they are out exploring the galaxy, but this season has seen an unusual number of episodes taking place on earth. I miss a little the traditional let's dial up the gate and see what this planet holds type of episode of earlier seasons, and they are definitely drifting away from that.

I do think Anna-Louise Plowman was amazing. She protects beauty, intelligence and poise, and she pulls off false god really well. You like her and trust her as Sarah Gardner and you can totally believe someone would fear her as Osiris.

We do get some fun character beats in this episode. We see Teal'c reading his alien conspiracy magazine - I'm sure he picked up that habit from Martin Lloyd. We know he loves sci fi and I can just see him going wild over things like the Roswell cover-up.

We learn about Jack's philosophy of recreation: It's not about the fish. It's about fishing. And Teal'c's skepticism about the whole endeavor: We have caught nothing; we are fishing.

We get to see Sam's love for classic motorcycles. This is great because up to now Sam's only hobby has been work.

And it's nice to see Janet getting in on the action.

Some little tidbits. Originally Daniel's university was going to be in Boston, but the producers decided that was too far away for him to be going back and forth so they moved it to Chicago. I thought that was actually a good choice. It gives Jack and Daniel a little shared touch point in their personal histories (Jack was born in Chicago and loves the Cubs).

The seen with Daniel, Janet and Sam driving across the "Egyptian desert" was filmed at the same sand dunes where the Abydos scenes were filmed. The dune is not that big and was shrinking all the time with development; so if you look closely you can see they are driving around in a large circle with the camera in the middle tracking them. MS was actually driving with AT and TR in the back. He was going so fast around in a circle that the ladies thought they were going to bounce out the back. You can see them holding on for dear life.

This is the first time we see Jack's cabin and learn that there may not actually be any fish in his pond.

As for shippiness we have another fishing invite. The last explicit one for quite sometime, although an unseen one is hinted at in The Light.

Sam doesn't even seem tempted by it. This is very different than her reactions the last couple of times Jack has invited her to go fishing. Now maybe that's because they are in the briefing room surrounded by the rest of the team with the general just a stone's throw away.

Carter! You finally ready to take me up on that fishing trip?
              (He just jumps right in and takes her totally by surprise. No preamble or prevarication.)

Er…actually, Sir, I have a few projects on the go.
              (She seems surprised and off-balance and shuts him down pretty quickly.)

Come on. Are you really trying to tell me you'd rather work in a dark, dank, dismal underground than sit on a dock with your feet perched up, sippin' a cold one, and casting for that ever elusive…crappie?
              (Now he's just having fun with her. He wants to make her smile. I think he knows he's not going to get her to take him up on the invitation, but he wants her to know there are no hard feelings because they both understand she has to turn him down.)

Strange as it may sound, Sir, yes. Have a good time.
              (Would she really rather be at the SGC than fishing with Jack? I don't think so. Although, I think she'd prefer taking Jack out on her motorcycle.)

To each his own! Her! I meant her…I think.
              (Still playing it up, maybe a little bit to cover his disappointment that she really does have to say no and he really shouldn't do anything to talk her into it.)

Last edited by hlndncr; 08 October 2013, 01:17 AM.

Comment

is that really AT on that Motorcycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                  is that really AT on that Motorcycle?
                  Looks more like one of the head/body swap photos.

Comment

AT wasn't allowed to sit on the bike. In fact, she wasn't even allowed to touch it. If you watch closely you see they just sort of hover around it. The production couldn't afford to pay for any scratches.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, hlndncr. Another reason that the review was so short was because I was about to be kicked off the computer by another user. It wasn't going to be that long of one anyway.
                      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I loved Anna Louise Plowman as Osiris. I saw her again next in Dr. Who and it took me the whole episode to place her, as she was playing the character with an american accent!

I always thought that the reason Sam turned down the fishing invite so quickly this time was because she was super excited to work on her bike in her lab (for some reason!). I don't know why she didn't tell him that's what she was doing though...maybe it wasn't entire kosher, hence Siler's help.

I'll admit I usually just skim through this episode as it moves rather slowly for me. However, the last scene always strikes me as odd. I know Jack and Teal'c are fishing but they really should have been recalled and gone to Egypt with the other three to catch Osiris. Either that or Hammond should have sent another SG team as backup - there were no military types except for Sam on that trip and Sam knew she could possibly have to deal with Goa'uld tech.

Also , I agree with whomever it was that said that Teal'c is underused in this season. While I love on-world eps as they show us how SG1 could fit with real life, I do miss the self-contained "planet of the week" episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                          I loved Anna Louise Plowman as Osiris. I saw her again next in Dr. Who and it took me the whole episode to place her, as she was playing the character with an american accent!

I always thought that the reason Sam turned down the fishing invite so quickly this time was because she was super excited to work on her bike in her lab (for some reason!). I don't know why she didn't tell him that's what she was doing though...maybe it wasn't entire kosher, hence Siler's help.

I'll admit I usually just skim through this episode as it moves rather slowly for me. However, the last scene always strikes me as odd. I know Jack and Teal'c are fishing but they really should have been recalled and gone to Egypt with the other three to catch Osiris. Either that or Hammond should have sent another SG team as backup - there were no military types except for Sam on that trip and Sam knew she could possibly have to deal with Goa'uld tech.

Also , I agree with whomever it was that said that Teal'c is underused in this season. While I love on-world eps as they show us how SG1 could fit with real life, I do miss the self-contained "planet of the week" episodes.
                          Um, Janet and Sam are both military. Daniel is the only civilian that goes to Egypt and he has 3+ years (not counting his time on Abydos) of off-word missions under his belt by now. Teal'c isn't military, so the only addition would have been Jack if you need to have more military personnel present. Besides, Jack and Teal'c were in Minnesota so Sam, Daniel and Janet would have had to wait for them to get to an airport, get a commercial flight/military transport and reach Denver or wherever before they could all go to Egypt. Or perhaps they could have met up in Egypt. Either way, it would cause a few hours of delay and considering Osiris was already gone they had to catch 'him' as fast as possible.

I actually liked that for once Jack and Teal'c sat out a mission and instead we saw more of Janet and Sam in action.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Serpant's Venom

Summary:
                            Teal'c goes to Chulack to recruit fellow Jaffa to his cause. He is betrayed and taken to Heru-ur. He is tortured. Heru-ur plans to give him to Apopohis. Then the dude who turned him in changes his mind and helps him escape.

Meanwhile, back at the SGC, Jacob tells the rest of SG-1 about an alliance that is about to take place between Apophis and Heru-ur. They are to meet in a minefield which is neutral territory. These mines will attack Gou'ld weapons, so Jacob would like to have Daniel's help to decipher the manuel, and Sam's to help reprogam one of the mines so that it would go off when a Tok'ra oprative on Apophis' ship sends a signal. This way, it will look as if Heru-ur is attacking Apophis, which they hope will start a war between the two System Lords.

The mission goes off as planned, but the result is not what Jacob had hoped. Heru-ur was killed, so Apophis now has control over Heru-ur's entire fleet to add to his own. Apophis is much more powerful than he ever was.

General Score: 5/10
                            I gave this score because I only watched half the episode... the half that was not about Teal'c. I apologize, but I just don't care for Teal'c stories or plots. I like him as part of the team, but him on his own does not interst me.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE when Jacob and Jack work together. Those two are great. From Jacob's line, "Of course, Colonel O'neill is always lots of fun to have around," to when Jacob lets Jack fly the ship. Jack looks so excited, like a kid given permission to raid to cookie jar. They are just too cute.

Daniel and Sam are cute as the wonder twins trying to figure out the mine. I love Sam's line, "Trust me, it's a math thing."

Shippy-ness : 7/10
                            Sam & Jack banter about her reading material.
                            : Do you understand any of that?
                            : It's all Phoenician to me, sir.

Jack sticking his head under the mine to see what was up. Right on top of Sam!

Jack pulling Sam out from under the mine, and shielding her with his body when they thought the mine would explode.

Comment

AT wasn't allowed to sit on the bike. In fact, she wasn't even allowed to touch it. If you watch closely you see they just sort of hover around it. The production couldn't afford to pay for any scratches.
                              I remember Amanda also saying that because of her actor's insurance she isn't allowed to ride a bike. It's too high risk an activity.
                              Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                                I remember Amanda also saying that because of her actor's insurance she isn't allowed to ride a bike. It's too high risk an activity.
                                Unless, required for a role as she did in Sanctuary.
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X