No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not even JUST Jack's position: IIRC the R&D/Area 51 is under a completely different chain of command than the SGC. By moving there, Sam removed herself from the CoC issue.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      Maybe Jack had another one of those handy antibiotic powders packs in his vest like he gave Rya'c in Bloodlines? That could have prevented an infection until they got out. But I do agree that half his leg should have been burned if not ripped off by the blast considering previous injuries we've seen. But maybe this Jaffa (like everyone except the awesome sharp shooters like Bra'tac, Teal'c and other Rebel Jaffa) had bad aim and it just skimmed Jack's leg?
      That's what I thought - that it simply just skimmed the leg. Remember, the Gou'ald would rather have slaves than dead people and so would have to train jaffa in "less leathal" methods of shooting. That said, the powder he gave Ry'ac was for scarlett fever, not general infections.

Perhaps. Makes sense, I guess.

Except whatever his intentions were the staff weapon's blast would still have the same strength/power as it would if the Jaffa did want to hurt him. Even a badly aimed hit would have done more damage, in my opinion.

Still, the show has a history of inconsistency when it comes to Jaffa weapons, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
      About the whole staff weapon issue - I do recall some episode where a staff weapon was used to cauterise a wound....but I could be wrong.

Could it be that the initial blast causes great damage and pain but the wound itself is cauterised by the plasma (or whatever it shoots) so that there is no residual blood? because every time we see a staff weapon wound, it's dry, not gory.

Anyway...I do agree that wounds have been inconsistent, but that does happen with most sci-fi shows. I chalk it up to artistic license if it doesn't affect the story too much.

Comment

It doesn't affects the story, but if that blast had smahsed Jack leg into pieces, the story would have been quite affected. Still, i didn't even notice the first time i saw, and i highly doubt that everyone would have wanted stargate to stop because of that incident.

R&D/Area 51
        R D A
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
          It's not even JUST Jack's position: IIRC the R&D/Area 51 is under a completely different chain of command than the SGC. By moving there, Sam removed herself from the CoC issue.
          Except that Sam became head of Stargate Research and Development, which would (eventually) fall under HWS/HWC too, I imagine. I guess it also depends on what else they're doing at Area 51 in the Stargate universe but until the gate became operational there were supposedly no alien lifeforms/technology there, which means the Stargate department (everything they bring back) is probably something highly classified even within Area 51 and might go through the commander of Area 51 who then answers to HWS/HWC on Stargate related matters.

Not to mention that by the time Sam transfers there Earth already has spaceships and they were being built/stored at Area 51 and I imagine that eventually also falls under a department in HWS/HWC.

So, while Jack wouldn't be her commanding officer anymore he would still be a superior officer in the same chain of command. The same goes for when she's back at the SGC, with Jack being Landry's CO because from the phone conversation between the two men in Beachhead it sounded like Jack had to approve Sam's transfer.
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
            It doesn't affects the story, but if that blast had smahsed Jack leg into pieces, the story would have been quite affected. Still, i didn't even notice the first time i saw, and i highly doubt that everyone would have wanted stargate to stop because of that incident.

R D A
            Haha I like it!
            Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              In the space between Season 8 and 9, they weren't actually in the same chain of command. Jack was going to Washington and Sam was going to Area 51 to be in charge of Research & Development. It was a very small window of time (opportunity?), but it was time enough for them to get married before Sam got called back to the SGC.
              It's too bad their relationship wasn't at least confirmed. It was hinted at numerous times, though. I don't see why it was avoided by the writers, but apparently there was disagreement. oh well..at least they get together in several parallel universes.
              sigpic

Comment

It's too bad their relationship wasn't at least confirmed. It was hinted at numerous times, though. I don't see why it was avoided by the writers, but apparently there was disagreement. oh well..at least they get together in several parallel universes.
                It's bad, but maybe it's good too. We wouldn't have had the opportunity of reading many various and brilliant drabbles, and stories made up of anyone's mind, not just one story made by the producers for the series. Though it's not the same, at least we can see the glass as half full.
                sigpic

Comment

regarding the staff blast to jack's leg, i betcha anything that when they got back to Revanna Vorash, Jacob or Marty used one of those nifty Goa'uld healing devices to repair the damage. i kinda forgot that Revanna was after Vorash.

Comment

OT
                    Spoiler:
                    you know as im watching these episodes, i keep help but wonder during the later part of the series especially with the ori if abdyos would have went ori (if it didn't...you know...been blown up), and if the tollan would have used their "vastly superior" technology to help us out at the battle of P3Y-229 and what about the nox? they have that invisibility stuff.
                    Last edited by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard; 25 July 2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Gah I'm always late :X I blame it on my internet issues yesterday.. I have seriously become way too dependent on my internet connection *blushes*

Episode Summary

The Tollans ask for SG-1's help when Klorelcrashes on their new homeplanet, Tollana. They need SG-1 to help assign Skaara/Klorel's fate. They must perform the triad, where they argue against the Nox and Zipacna of the Goa'uld. Meanwhile, Teal'c and Major Samantha Carter believe that Zipacna is using the triad to distract them whilst his Jaffa work on crippling the Tollan defenses to enslave Tollana.

Favorite Lines:

CARTER (to NARIM) : So you built that….STARGATE?
                      NARIM : Yes.
                      DANIEL : Way smarter than we are.
                      O’NEILL : Ours is bigger.

NARIM : No harm will come to you. The Tollan will guarantee it.
                      O’NEILL : Is that a ‘money back if you’re not completely alive’ guarantee?

I just love all these one liners that Jack shoots at Narim throughout the episode.

General Discussion:

I love all the advanced technology in this episode and Jack’s childish persona when he sees it all in action. I can’t imagine how frustrated they all must have been to be so close to advanced defenses and weapons that could save Earth from the Goa’uld but not be allowed to take any of it home.

One of the most interesting aspects of this episode is how easily the Tollans are fooled by Zipacna and the rest of the Goa’uld. Their race has advanced so far that they believe themselves invincible, and don’t see the Goa’uld as a real treat or even a problem worth their time. It just goes to show you that as a society becomes more advanced and powerful they also become more arrogant and confident that nothing can defeat them. If it hadn’t been for Teal’c and the Nox the Tollans would have been destroyed.

This may also get me shot but I kinda liked Narim in this episode and feel bad for him. While I never want to actually see him with Sam you gotta give the guy props for trying to woo her every time he sees her. And out of all the Tollen he's the most welcoming and accepting of SG-1 and Earth.

On a side note I also feel bad for poor Schrodinger the cat who keeps getting tossed around from person to person and even through a wormhole!! If that happened to my cat she would NOT be happy lol!!

S/J Discussion:

There really isn’t a lot of interaction between Sam and Jack in this episode. Daniel and Jack spend their time defending Skaara while Sam is with Teal’c investigating the untrustworthy Zipacna. I will say that I noticed quite a few little bitting comments from Jack to Narim throughout the episode that my inner shippy fan girl couldn’t help but squeal at. I know Jack isn’t at the point where he’s truly fallen for Sam but we know that he cares about her and has shown a bit of jealously before now. I couldn’t help but laugh when he said ‘Ours is bigger’ when talking about their stargates… but maybe he was talking about something else *wink* So sue me my mind took a splash in the gutter
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice review!
                        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I've always wondered, knowing how much RDA loves to ad-lib, how many of the one-liners were scripted, and how many were him.

Comment

So, while Jack wouldn't be her commanding officer anymore he would still be a superior officer in the same chain of command. The same goes for when she's back at the SGC, with Jack being Landry's CO because from the phone conversation between the two men in Beachhead it sounded like Jack had to approve Sam's transfer.
                            i would be wrong, but isn't it as long as jack's not writing up her reviews (as in direct chain of command), a relationship is allowed?

~and maybe jack was okaying the transfer not as a commanding officer, but as a husband?
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                              Gah I'm always late :X I blame it on my internet issues yesterday.. I have seriously become way too dependent on my internet connection *blushes*
                              I'm always late too; so I forgive you.

Pretty banner! Great review!

Favorite Lines:

CARTER (to NARIM) : So you built that….STARGATE?
                              NARIM : Yes.
                              DANIEL : Way smarter than we are.
                              O’NEILL : Ours is bigger.

NARIM : No harm will come to you. The Tollan will guarantee it.
                              O’NEILL : Is that a ‘money back if you’re not completely alive’ guarantee?

I just love all these one liners that Jack shoots at Narim throughout the episode.
                              Good choices. Totally agree. Jack is on a tare in this ep. It's fun!

General Discussion:

I love all the advanced technology in this episode and Jack’s childish persona when he sees it all in action. I can’t imagine how frustrated they all must have been to be so close to advanced defenses and weapons that could save Earth from the Goa’uld but not be allowed to take any of it home.
                              I hadn't considered this, but you make a good point.

This may also get me shot but I kinda liked Narim in this episode and feel bad for him. While I never want to actually see him with Sam you gotta give the guy props for trying to woo her every time he sees her. And out of all the Tollen he's the most welcoming and accepting of SG-1 and Earth.
                              I have nothing against Narim. I think he's kind of a wet blanket, but I don't consider him a bad guy. He's totally wrong for Sam. She's way too much for him to handle.

I also think there was just no chemistry between them. It's kind of a nice friendship, but absolutely no spark.

On a side note I also feel bad for poor Schrodinger the cat who keeps getting tossed around from person to person and even through a wormhole!! If that happened to my cat she would NOT be happy lol!!
                              The cat didn't seem unhappy. He was lounging on the ramp quite happily when Sam went to pick him up. I think he likes the Stargate.

S/J Discussion:

There really isn’t a lot of interaction between Sam and Jack in this episode. Daniel and Jack spend their time defending Skaara while Sam is with Teal’c investigating the untrustworthy Zipacna. I will say that I noticed quite a few little bitting comments from Jack to Narim throughout the episode that my inner shippy fan girl couldn’t help but squeal at. I know Jack isn’t at the point where he’s truly fallen for Sam but we know that he cares about her and has shown a bit of jealously before now. I couldn’t help but laugh when he said ‘Ours is bigger’ when talking about their stargates… but maybe he was talking about something else *wink* So sue me my mind took a splash in the gutter
                              Should I admit I was thinking the same thing? Jack does seem awfully cranky from the first moment Narim steps through the gate. There's got to be more to it than just not getting there big honkin' space guns if you ask me.

I also think Sam sounded pretty defensive when Narim suggested she was with someone else. I think she's definitely thinking about Jack more than she should at this point. So when she says she's confused about her feelings I think she's using Jolinar as an excuse because her growing attraction for Jack has to worry her too.

Some additional thoughts on the ep:

Because co-creator Jonathan Glassner was leaving at the end of S3 he wanted to wrap up all the Abydos related arcs, including Skaara.

Brad Wright didn't care for this episode and thought that the effect of Skaara's goa'uld possession, but Alexis Cruz was working on another show at the time so he wasn't available for them to revisit his character the way BW would have liked.

Personally, I think the episode was quite good. As a lawyer I usually hate trial stories/shows, but I think they did a good job with this one. The arguments were interesting and the legal system of the Tollans was familiar but sufficiently different to be intriguing.

Where I think this episode really shines is in the effects sequences - great space battles - and the set design. The location of Simon Fraser University was very appropriate and the set dec in the trial room was beautiful. Some great camera angles on this one too so kudos to director David Warry-Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                                It's bad, but maybe it's good too. We wouldn't have had the opportunity of reading many various and brilliant drabbles, and stories made up of anyone's mind, not just one story made by the producers for the series. Though it's not the same, at least we can see the glass as half full.
                                whatever story the writers would have come up with wouldn't have stopped me from tweaking things into something else.

-i can't think of one single good thing of non-confirmation...
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X