No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working on the Pretense review hopefully I'll have it up tonight or sometime tomorrow <3 I've been a little busy trying to make some art for Shipday!! Yay I can't wait
    sigpic

Comment

I think Sam gets a lot of Jack-isms towards the end of season 8 onwards. To me, they hint at their relationship.

Don't forget how she tells Ba'al if he's not going to be useful then they might as well just kill him just before she punches him. To me, that's a very "Jack" thing to do!
      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

i think just for the hell of it, she would've done it anyway. one less ba'al to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
          I think Sam gets a lot of Jack-isms towards the end of season 8 onwards. To me, they hint at their relationship.

Don't forget how she tells Ba'al if he's not going to be useful then they might as well just kill him just before she punches him. To me, that's a very "Jack" thing to do!
          There are subtle hints in the last two seasons as if they hooked up in secret. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. lol
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kali View Post
            There are subtle hints in the last two seasons as if they hooked up in secret. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. lol
            In my mind.... *so married*

sigpic
            Sig made by Nola
            Latest fic Thin Blue Veil

Comment

Definitely married between S8 and S9!

Comment

I'm caught up on my rewatching just not my commenting.

First I want to tell all the reviewers - Thanks! and Great Job!

So my thoughts on Past and Present.

I think this is an OK episode. It's not on my top ten list, but I don't mind watching it. I think it has a descent story and some nice moments.

One thing I thought about as I watched this episode was the relationship between the native couple (can't remember their names). They didn't remember each other or that they were married, and the guy was smitten with Kera, but they still acted a lot like a long married couple.

Believe it or not this relationship put me in mind of Beneath the Surface. Later we see Sam and Jack without their memories. The one thing they retain is their feelings for one another. They act more like a couple without their memories because the one barrier between them (their ranks and working relationship) doesn't exist for them.

Then there's the moment in Sam's lab that is awfully couple-y. Jack fiddles with Sam's stuff. He acts childish. She stops him. There's touching. It's very cute.

The only other moment detected by my shippy radar is when Jack says the MALP is worthless, but he trust Sam. His unfailing trust in Sam and her expertise - and the pride he takes in her accomplishments - is one of the most endearing things about him IMHO.

As for the rest of the ep, it's nice to see a somewhat advanced society for a change, but I wonder with their technology how they avoided being wiped out by the goa'uld. Up to this point the human societies SG1 have encountered came from earth's past and if they began to develop technologically the goa'uld would take the out.

I guess one explanation could be that they were dying off anyway since there were absolutely no children. That means that even with the help given them to get their memories back their society will be dead in a generation.

In fact one could even argue that Linea actually helped them because she pushed back the inevitable end of their society and gave them another 50 or 60 years.

Honestly, I've never bought Linae as this evil mass murderer. (And incidentally neither did the PTB. One reason they didn't have Bonnie Barlett return to the role because they thought she came off as too nice.) She really didn't do anything so terrible when she was at the SGC. The story they were told about her was entirely unverified. And on this planet she seemed to be looking for a "fountain of youth" that would have been very beneficial to them all. (Her medical ethics may be a little lacking, but that's far different than being a psychotic killer.) So when as Kera she tells SG1 that she senses she helped people in her past life I'm not sure you can completely argue with that assessment. She did help SG1, she may have helped with that plague, and she may also have been helping this planet.

I also don't see how a single lab accident could be enough to create a world wide pandemic.

In the end I thought it was pretty irresponsible to just send Kera back when they know she has the ability to get her memory back and they believe she is a dangerous killer.

There are other little plot holes, but I'm willing to give them a pass because there is more good in this episode than bad.

Now I think we need to get to Daniel. I'll let it pass that he is dead wrong on his statement about DDT. He was being awfully cavalier blaming earth for the vorlix because they let Linae out of Hydante. He was also really bratty, especially toward Jack.

I'm going to chalk up most of Daniel's behavior to losing Sha're. He's in a lot of emotional turmoil, which led to a lot of bad judgment, including his relationship (however far it may have gone) with Kera.

MS had a big problem with that part of the script because this episode did come out right after FiaD. It was originally on the schedule a few episodes before but script problems pushed production back. Personally, I think I would have been more offended if this had happened before Sha're died. At least after he's not being unfaithful and I can see a justification for it in his emotional vulnerability and guilt. I also thought that MS and the actress who played Kera had good chemistry.

Speaking of chemistry, I thought I detected a bit of jealousy in Janet. She's being rather protective of her turf and it seems to extend beyond just the infirmary.

Comment

My comments on Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know:

First and foremost, those of us on this forum owe a lot to these episodes. It was Jolinar's Memories that motivated Darren to start GateWorld. So we wouldn't be having these discussions together here if not for these episodes. That alone makes them very special.

It is also interesting that this did not start out as a two-parter. The sets used were so expensive they had to pen a second episode in order to justify the cost. I think that's why the second episode is IMO weaker than the first. It was an add on.

Overall though I would say this is a good story. It uses a lot of the characters back stories and builds on them. It gives us the Tok'ra and earth working together. We have Jacob (always a big bonus for me).

Then there is the return of Apophis. The PTB decided to take out Apophis earlier because he didn't seem scary enough anymore. They decided to bring him back because by taking out Sokar it would make him powerful and dangerous again. Personally, I think Sokar was more interesting and just a better character. But you can see the personal history between Apophis and all the members of SG1 does add to the drama. That's something we just don't get with other goa'uld until Ba'al.

As for Apophis being a credible threat I agree that in the beginning he was scary. Earth was so unprepared and ignorant then. But even with the death of Sokar (and Apophis didn't actually kill him, the Tok'ra did) he was never really that bad a$$.

Now I'm going to talk mostly about JM's because I like it better then DYK and I find it to be very shippy.

We begin with Jack and Sam bantering in the control room about "Dad." There are smirks and smiles. The two are acting very flirty with one another.

Then the wet blanket steps in between them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Marty hater. He just has no personality. He doesn't get any of Sam's jokes. He's so bland and matter of fact. And I feel like he pushes himself on Sam because of Jolinar. It's a little creepy.

As soon as they learn that Sam's dad is in trouble you can see Jack go into protective mode. He stays near her and supports her. He tries to make her laugh even though she's not really in the mood.

On the cargo ship he's very uncomfortable with the very intimate memory Martouf elicits from her subconscious. It was an odd choice considering they were looking for intel on the prison and I think Marty was not thinking tactically at several points here. He certainly showed some lack of consideration for Sam that Jack was quick to squelch.

There is certainly some friction between Jack and Marty. Jack really hates not being in control. And he doesn't trust people without a sense of humor, which is Marty to a T, at least he certainly doesn't get Jack's humor.

Jack obviously doesn't like to see Sam hurting and while he does all that he can to protect her he also knows her and trusts her. He tells Marty they won't be able to stop Sam from going after her father and he won't let her go it alone. When Neyonac/Apophis comes to take her to Binar Jack protests but she convinces him she has to go. When she's led away Jack gives N/A this look like "I'll kill you with my bear hands if anything happens to her." And of course there's him taking a staff weapon blast in the knee to protect her. He even seemed like he was going to try and get up to stop her from going. A protective Jack is a sexy Jack IMHO.

But Sam looks out for him too. When they first enter the prison and they are attacked by the denizens (a word in far too frequent use in these episodes) she makes a pretty good shot to prevent a guy from getting to him. She also agrees to go when she sees Jack injured.

At one point she also ask Jack to look after her dad. There's this bond of trust between them. They believe in each other. Support each other and protect each other.

I think we see that with the whole team in this episode. They really do work seamlessly together to pull off a miracle. Even Teal'c who is relegated to the B plot, but at least he gets to swoop in and save the day.

Overall great set of episodes, with good teamwork, interesting character development, and a decent amount of ship.

Comment

It's Foothold and then to bed.

Overall, fun episode. Not enough ship to launch it into the best eps list for me, but I did like the twist on an alien invasion with the mimic devices. Bringing in Maybourne on the side of the good guys this time was also an interesting move that I thought paid off. And I did like seeing Sam step up and take charge.

When the show begins and SG1 gets to the infirmary I am initially very distracted by Jack undressing. (What a lucky nurse!)

CJ is really huge. His feet hang about a foot over that gurney. (Actually I've met CJ and he is a big guy with the sweetest smile and the most infectious laugh.)

The café in DC was a courtyard in front of the art museum in Vancouver. You can't miss those eagle statues when you go walking past them downtown. It doesn't really look anything like DC.

I thought they did a good job at first keep the audience confused and off-balance. The first time I saw this I felt a lot like Sam. I wasn't sure what was up. I do wish they hadn't given away the game to us (with Janet's line about beginning the experiments) before Sam shoots Jack. I think it would have been a much more dramatic moment if that were the reveal.

And Sam didn't even hesitate to shoot alien Jack. She had to have been pretty sure.

I like Major Davis. Collin Cunningham is a cutie and Davis is a good guy. Not much to his character but it is nice to have a Pentagon type not be an idiot or a scoundrel.

Also notice how our dear "dumb" Jack sits down at the computer right next to Sam and to help lock down the aliens and shut down the Stargate without any hesitation of confusion. He sure is smart when it actually matters. But then we know Sam doesn't buy that dumb soldier routine anymore than we do.

Finally, what was Jack thinking about that he wouldn't want anyone (alien or otherwise) to know about? Wouldn't happen to involve a pretty blonde astrophysicists would it?

OK, that's all of my mostly random thoughts on Foothold. I'm ready for your review of Pretense now meredithe!

Comment

One thing I've often wondered about with DYK/JM is how Jack's leg/knee wasn't injured more severely. He was hit by a staff blast! Normally, there's no coming back from that. Add in that they were stuck there, and hadn't he started to develop an infection? (really need to watch it again! Maybe tonight ). It just all conveniently went away.

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post
                        In Continuum she says 'what is left to say except kiss your ass goodbye?' To me that's very Jack, petulant and to the point.
                        I think she is extremely snarky during the whole interview process in that movie. You expect it from Daniel and Mitchell but it came as a bit of a shock and surprise to hear "Rats 'behind'" come out of Sam's mouth.
                        sigpic

----------
                        FFN ----- AO3 ----------

Comment

When Sam goes to Atlantis, Jack remainse frozen in front of the stargate and he has that look..and Sam is watching back at the stargate after she arrives with the same look. And there are other moments too in Atlantis when she si thinking(more than sure of Jack). Seeing lots and lots of bloopers, i decided to take this discusion into to point of naming it Rick/Amanda shippers..thats giving me even greater thrills. To know that in the series are so succesfully playing this role of which we debate because they aren't just playing "a" role, they playing the role of their own lifes when it comes to love.
                          sigpic

Comment

I ship only the fictional characters. As it should be IMHO.
                            sigpic
                            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                              I ship only the fictional characters. As it should be IMHO.

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                                When Sam goes to Atlantis, Jack remainse frozen in front of the stargate and he has that look..and Sam is watching back at the stargate after she arrives with the same look. And there are other moments too in Atlantis when she si thinking(more than sure of Jack). Seeing lots and lots of bloopers, i decided to take this discusion into to point of naming it Rick/Amanda shippers..thats giving me even greater thrills. To know that in the series are so succesfully playing this role of which we debate because they aren't just playing "a" role, they playing the role of their own lifes when it comes to love.
                                Amanda is happily married and we don't discuss the actors' personal lives in those terms.

We are grateful for the contributions the friendship between Rick and Amanda brought to the characters, but this is a Sam/Jack characters only thread.
                                Last edited by hlndncr; 24 July 2013, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X