• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone link Consequences of being touched? You got me all curious now
    sigpic
    Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

Originally posted by Samfan13 View Post
      Can someone link Consequences of being touched? You got me all curious now
      Here's the link to the writer's profile. It's M for a reason!

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2151052/fems
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Thank you Sparky!
        sigpic
        Made by the talented Meredithe5

Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility - Amanda Tapping

My Rainbow Run for Mila raised $2672.5 CAD for Sanctuary For Kids! Many thanks to everyone who donated in honour of my beloved niece https://www.facebook.com/RainbowRunForMila

Comment

You're welcome Samfan13! I hope you like the story!
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

So I was watching LC last night and jotting down a few discussion notes. Tonight I look back and find that I wrote down I love . . . Orban, Merrin, Tomin, that scene with (fill in the blank). In other words I'm writing less to discuss and more to just gush.

I love this episode!

Right off it's great to see Daniel in his element as an archeologist, and he's so happy and excited. This is still the more naive Daniel that I miss so much in later seasons.

Another thing that makes this such a great episode for me is the richness of the characters and culture. In just a few scenes here and a few lines there we get these tantalizing hints of this really interesting society and develop a sympathy for each of these characters. That's very hard to do and I think that demonstrates the strength of the writing. In fact, this episode was the first written by Heather Ash (who wrote other great episodes like Foothold and Beneath the Surface) went to camera with no rewrites. That's very rare and impressive.

The kids are fabulous. Each one of them were well cast and certainly held their own opposite the regulars.

The girl who played Merrin was especially delightful. She reminded me of a mini-Carter. She had a very similar look to AT (could have easily played a young Sam) and the shared interest in science was fun to watch.

Jack also sees a mini-Carter in Merrin. Maybe that's one of the reasons he took to her so quickly and so deeply. Of course Jack is great with all kids and Cassie is like his own daughter - as we learn from his visits to her school - but I think Merrin's similarities to Sam tug a little at his heart. The scene where Jack is teasing Sam about falling asleep and trying to get them both to rest is just so charmingly domestic.

I don't know how others feel about the Orbanian adult, Kalin, but I liked him. He was placed in the role of the bad guy or the heavy for this plot but I don't think he was really a bad person. He represents the error his entire people made and many in our society make today that when they are learned they think they are wise. The Orbanian system allowed their knowledge to increase exponentially and created a very learned culture, but they lacked wisdom to see the truer power of the mind to explore, expand, and change.

Merrin on the other hand had not only great knowledge but great wisdom. She sacrificed herself to truely better her people. And what she learned came not only from Jack, about the importance of having fun, but also from Sam about the joy of perserverance in the face of ignorance.

When Jack takes Merrin outside the mountain he convinces her to leave by explaining that she's there to learn. Merrin realizes that he does have something important to teach her and thus he inadvertantly sows the seed for Merrin's return.

Jack's anger at the Orbanians is understandable because he sees them as abusing their children, or worse treating them as disposable. Having lost his own son you can see how the thought of a people who would use their children as a tool would be both painful and offensive to him.

But I think Kalin had a point when he told Daniel that they saw something they didn't understand and then insisted that the Orbanians change to please them. I don't think we fully grasp the averiam and what it means to be urone. I guess I'm just not as inclined to imediately condemn them as Jack (who really does have some emotional bagage in play here in addition to the earthcentric cultural self-conceit).

The great tragedy in all of this of course is that Merrin's knowledge has created an entire society of really bad artists.

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
              Favorite Line(s)

Merrin: So this is how you and Dr. Fraiser became scientists?
              Carter: (nods) Mm-hm
              Merrin: (to O'Neill) You aren't a scientist?
              O'Neill:: Oh, no.
              Merrin: Then you are not as smart as Major Carter and Doctor Fraiser?
              O'Neill: Well it depends on.... Okay, no. I'm not. But while they were stuck in school I was out doing other things. Like having fun. You do know what fun is, don't you? Okay. Ah. Fun is what you do to make yourself happy. Like music games. It's whatever you do when you're not learning to be a rocket scientist.
              Merrin: I am here to teach Major Carter about the reactor.
              Carter: Sounds like fun to me.

I just love this moment between the three of them. It really makes you think about how Sam and Jack would act with their own children in the future (shippy dream moment ) I can just see Sam doing science experiments with their son or daughter until Jack drags them both outside to play catch or go camping with the dog… because every Earth child HAS to have a dog!
              I had the same thought! But at the end of the ep I realized that I'm always thinking of Sam and Jack's kids as super smart like Merrin in the beginning, but what if they had a special needs child like Merrin at the end, how would it be like then? I actually think that could be a very touching story because both Sam and Jack have such an inate kindness and gentle way with children, and they are so dedicated to those they love I think they would do a great job caring for a physically or mentally disabled child. That's a story I would like to read if there are any takers out there. (I couldn't do it justice.)

CARTER : MARIN, you’re only eleven. Half the interesting things in my life didn’t happen until I turned fifteen.
              MARIN : What kind of interesting things?
              CARTER (awkwardly) : Oh, just, er…stuff.
              This was an AT ad lib. I don't know exactly how the line originally read, but it did not infer that Sam was talking about herself. AT decided to personalize it, which gives it the awkward sincerity that I think makes that moment memorable.

Sam and Jack
              This ep has some subtle, but really satisfying shippy moments IMHO. The scene in the infirmary is just beyond cute the way Sam and Jack keep glancing over at each other as there banter with Merrin becomes a vehicle to lightly tease one another.

I also adore the scene at Cassie's school when Merrin shows Jack her painting. The flowers are nice, but he's just beyond pleased with the "representation of Major Carter." His smile just says it all. Remember the assignment was to paint something you love. Hint, hint: Jack would have painted a representation of Major Carter too.

I'm sure Jack had that painted framed and hung it at the cabin!

Comment

Merrin (next to Retou Charlie) was the one kid i wish we got to see what happened to them post Learning Curve and Show and Tell.

Comment

My episode ratings for Learning Curve:

Episode: 9: Inspiring
                  This episode was deeply moving. It challenged my intellect and was emotionally inspirational, and gives me hope for the human race. I am a better human being for having seen this episode.

Shippiness: 7: Exceptional
                  This was a fantastic episode with shippy moments that were a lot of fun to watch. Shippy moments like these are what makes being a shipper so enjoyable. I would definitely watch these shippy moments again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    Merrin (next to Retou Charlie) was the one kid i wish we got to see what happened to them post Learning Curve and Show and Tell.
                    I too would have liked to know what happened with Merrin and Retu Charlie, but I understand why they didn't get revisited. That's what fan fic is for!

You also got me thinking about what "Merrin" (aka Britt Irvin) looks like now.

I think she's still pretty cute and could definitely play Sam and Jack's daughter. Or maybe her and Michael Welch as mini-Sam and mini-Jack all grown up.

Comment

Sam and Jack have such an inate kindness and gentle way with children, and they are so dedicated to those they love I think they would do a great job caring for a physically or mentally disabled child. That's a story I would like to read if there are any takers out there. (I couldn't do it justice.
                      There's a touching trilogy by not a zatarc
                      sigpic
                      My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
                        There's a touching trilogy by not a zatarc
                        Linky? *sweetly bats eyelashes*

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr
                          I actually think that could be a very touching story because both Sam and Jack have such an inate kindness and gentle way with children, and they are so dedicated to those they love I think they would do a great job caring for a physically or mentally disabled child. That's a story I would like to read if there are any takers out there. (I couldn't do it justice.)
                          There's a lovely little fic that I stumbled across recently in which Jack and Sam have a son who is deaf. They also have a daughter who is fine. The whole family learns sign language in order to communicate with the boy, and often wind up signing on other occasions when he is somewhere else.

Sam is trying to come up with a device that will allow the boy to hear, but hasn't been able to at the time of this story.

And for the life of me I can't remember which site it was on, or I'd recommend it here.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            I too would have liked to know what happened with Merrin and Retu Charlie, but I understand why they didn't get revisited. That's what fan fic is for!

You also got me thinking about what "Merrin" (aka Britt Irvin) looks like now.

[URL=http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/hlndncr/media/Merrin_zpsd43b7525.jpg.html]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/hlndncr/Merrin_zpsd43b7525.jpg[/IMG]

I think she's still pretty cute and could definitely play Sam and Jack's daughter. Or maybe her and Michael Welch as mini-Sam and mini-Jack all grown up.
                            that's Britt Irvin? oh wow! i could probably see her playing either roles. which one do you see more likely playing?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              There's a lovely little fic that I stumbled across recently in which Jack and Sam have a son who is deaf. They also have a daughter who is fine. The whole family learns sign language in order to communicate with the boy, and often wind up signing on other occasions when he is somewhere else.

Sam is trying to come up with a device that will allow the boy to hear, but hasn't been able to at the time of this story.

And for the life of me I can't remember which site it was on, or I'd recommend it here.
                              it's on FF.Net but i can't remember what the name of the story is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                                it's on FF.Net but i can't remember what the name of the story is.
                                I must not have left a review of that one (even though I should have). Usually I can scan through the list of reviews under my own name to find a story I might be looking for. I guess I'll just have to go browsing and leave a comment this time.

Comment

Working...
                                X