No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question for y'all. I've heard it said that Dr. C of PoV is too clingy and over emotional.

Personally, given her circumstances, I don't think so. But what do you think? Is Dr. Carter too whiney and needy compared to our Major Carter?

Comment

Well she did just lose her husband!
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Sorry about the wait on the review and my absence. I'll have the review up sometime today. I got a little side tracked recently with the first non scifi series I've watched in ages!!! My friends have been bugging me to watch Grey's Anatomy for ages and I finally started after it's 9th season and have gotten hooked! I finally found a show where a character shares my name that's female *cough* Meredith Rodney McKay and that isn't the evil stepmother lol.
        sigpic

Comment

Great review Selene, and great comments Hlndncr.

I'm going to be different and say I'm not a fan of POV. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of any of the AU episodes, if I had to put them in preference order it would be Moebius, POV then TBFTGOG. It's hard to explain why I don't like it but I'm going to try.

The A/U scenarios are like a kick in the teeth for our Sam, every time. The first one Daniel makes her uncomfortable with the idea that an alternate version of herself was engaged to Jack, I think by the end of season 1 she has developed feelings for him and is trying to rationalize them to herself. Jack's reaction shuts her feelings down and makes her lock them tightly away.

Just as she is coming to terms with her feelings for Jack, her CO, someone she cannot have feelings for, an alternate version of herself drops in, tells her she was married to Jack in her own reality, then shoves her tongue down her Jack's throat. Jack's reciprocation must have told her he had deeper feelings for her than he should, at the very least he is attracted to her.

For me the A/U scenarios are like the mulitverse sticking two fingers up at them. As an outsider it might be a sign from somewhere that they are supposed to be together, but, for Sam and Jack, it's rubbing their noses in it, 'if you (she) weren't in the military he'd (she'd) be yours'.

It could almost be a rather cruel warning from the multiverse, like a sadistic game show. What'll it be? Door number one, the love of your life or door number two the planet and everyone on it? Take your pick.

Let's face it, Sam and Jack getting together, pretty much results in planetary disaster. Personally I think that's why 'our' universe was safe, not that Sam is in the military but that she hadn't hopped into bed with Jack.

TBFTGOG - Everyone dies.

POV - Jack, many of the SGA (their version of the SGC) personnel, Teal'c, (presumably Daniel) all die. Sam nearly dies, Hammond dies and is brought back.

Moebius Jack and Sam nearly got killed during their first kiss - doesn't exactly give you hope for a long lasting relationship does it? If I were Daniel I'd be betting Teal'c on how long it takes for the next disaster to strike [and how long they make it before Jack gets killed trying to save her, the pattern suggests just before their second wedding anniversary].

Wow I'm being morbid tonight, don't know what's got into me. A/U episodes make me morbid.

(We could include 'The Last Man' from SG Atlantis on the list of highly morbid Alternate episodes. I actually can't look for several scenes, it's that depressing. It's depressing because its so true to character.)

Okay, positiveness. Sam and Dr Carter arguing and then working together entertains me. They finish each others sentences .
          Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first
          If you want something in life, you have to work for it

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
            I have a question for y'all. I've heard it said that Dr. C of PoV is too clingy and over emotional.

Personally, given her circumstances, I don't think so. But what do you think? Is Dr. Carter too whiney and needy compared to our Major Carter?
            I don't think she's too needy and whiney. She's just gone through a terrible loss and I'm surprised she held it together as well as she did. Plus, she and Major Carter are two different (with a few similarities) personalities. Personally, I don't think it's fair to compare them, even though I know people do anyway.

Comment

Summary
              SG-1 is impressed with the learning power ofOrbanian children but soon learns that the children eventually go through a ceremony which removes the nanites from the children in order to take away what they learned. Colonel Jack O'Neill decides to take Merrin away from them and teach her how to become a true kid.

Favorite Scene
              There are so many moments that I love about this episode. I really enjoyed all the moments throughout the episode where Sam looks like a kid in a candy store when talking about the reactor and/or the thought of figuring out how the device works.

I also loved all the moments between Jack and Merrin. He easily becomes overprotective of her and was willing to put his career on the line to give Merrin the chance to experience joy and fun for the first time in her life.

Favorite Line(s)

Merrin: So this is how you and Dr. Fraiser became scientists?
              Carter: (nods) Mm-hm
              Merrin: (to O'Neill) You aren't a scientist?
              O'Neill:: Oh, no.
              Merrin: Then you are not as smart as Major Carter and Doctor Fraiser?
              O'Neill: Well it depends on.... Okay, no. I'm not. But while they were stuck in school I was out doing other things. Like having fun. You do know what fun is, don't you? Okay. Ah. Fun is what you do to make yourself happy. Like music games. It's whatever you do when you're not learning to be a rocket scientist.
              Merrin: I am here to teach Major Carter about the reactor.
              Carter: Sounds like fun to me.

I just love this moment between the three of them. It really makes you think about how Sam and Jack would act with their own children in the future (shippy dream moment ) I can just see Sam doing science experiments with their son or daughter until Jack drags them both outside to play catch or go camping with the dog… because every Earth child HAS to have a dog!

CARTER: Draw me your reactor core. Give me an idea of what it looks like.
              MERRIN: I don't draw.
              CARTER: You don't draw? Everyone draws.
              MERRIN: No. It is not something I am required to do. I've never had to draw before.
              CARTER: Oh. Well, it's, uh. it's pretty easy. Here. See?
              MERRIN: What is that?
              CARTER: It's a picture of me.
              Merrin looks down. It's a stick figure with a bit of hair.
              CARTER: Well, I know it doesn't exactly look like me, but it's just a basic representation. See, that's all I need from you- just a basic representation of the reactor's core.

CARTER : MARIN, you’re only eleven. Half the interesting things in my life didn’t happen until I turned fifteen.
              MARIN : What kind of interesting things?
              CARTER (awkwardly) : Oh, just, er…stuff.

General

In some ways this episode is one of the saddest I’ve seen in a while. Children that grow up where their only goal in life is to gain more knowledge to share with their people without experiencing fun or experiencing a childhood. It was interesting to see the different members of SG-1 and the SGC interact with the children and watch as they react to the news of the Averium and what that means for each of these children.

Once again we see how nanites can affect a race adversely but in a much different manner then the planet full of people that was forced to rapidly age. It’s interesting to see how many planets SG-1 travels to with advanced technology that damages their people yet they continue to try to discover more for themselves and for Earth.

I also really enjoyed watching Jack defend Merrin from going through the Averium even when she was willing to sacrifice herself for her people. One of my favorite scenes was when Jack took her to Cassie’s old school and art class to show her how to have fun with the other children. And then at the end of the show she and the other children were drawing stick figures… the same stick figures she learned how to draw from Sam.

Sam/Jack

One of the aspects that I love about this episode is that you really get to see both of Sam and Jacks personalities and how different they are. Sam truly enjoys her job and experiences joy by spending hours working on advanced technology learning how everything works and fits together while Jack really enjoys the more basic aspects of life.

In my mind this episode really gives you a look at what their life would be like together and shows why the saying ‘opposites attract’ is so true. They both look at life differently and enjoy different things but are perfect for one another. Sam is more serious and organized while Jack is laid back and goofy, the perfect combination to help each other succeed in life. Sam is able to make Jack focus on what’s important while Jack helps Sam see that there is more to work then scientific equations at work
              sigpic

Comment

Nice review!
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by neverendingimagination View Post

Let's face it, Sam and Jack getting together, pretty much results in planetary disaster. Personally I think that's why 'our' universe was safe, not that Sam is in the military but that she hadn't hopped into bed with Jack.

TBFTGOG - Everyone dies.

POV - Jack, many of the SGA (their version of the SGC) personnel, Teal'c, (presumably Daniel) all die. Sam nearly dies, Hammond dies and is brought back.

Moebius Jack and Sam nearly got killed during their first kiss - doesn't exactly give you hope for a long lasting relationship does it? If I were Daniel I'd be betting Teal'c on how long it takes for the next disaster to strike [and how long they make it before Jack gets killed trying to save her, the pattern suggests just before their second wedding anniversary].

this reminds me of some anti shippers comments about why sam and jack shouldn't get together. have you been reading their thread?
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

this reminds me of some anti shippers comments about why sam and jack shouldn't get together. have you been reading their thread?
                    Antishippers thread? The blasphemy! I wouldn't risk my eyes by going in there

Just stating a fact. Doesn't mean I don't want them to be together, I think playing russian roulette is as much a part of their lives as breathing.
                    Don't get it right, get it written - Unknown, they haven't decided who said it first

Turn off lights not in use, buy local produce where possible, recycle all you can. Help save YOUR planet.

Comment

Antishippers thread? The blasphemy! I wouldn't risk my eyes by going in there

Just stating a fact. Doesn't mean I don't want them to be together, I think playing russian roulette is as much a part of their lives as breathing.
                      but you really think if sam and jack had gotten into a relationship, the end of the world would happen?
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

but you really think if sam and jack had gotten into a relationship, the end of the world would happen?
                        Something would happen, perhaps not the end of the world but some disaster that needing fixing. If you take Moebius Squared as cannon at least one version of Jack and Sam got their happy ending, after their near miss with the Jaffa and exploding electrics in the jumper - and the whole saga that went down in the book.

Life could never be dull.

Comment

Sorry, I seem to be in a very pessimistic mood tonight.

Comment

Something would happen, perhaps not the end of the world but some disaster that needing fixing. If you take Moebius Squared as cannon at least one version of Jack and Sam got their happy ending, after their near miss with the Jaffa and exploding electrics in the jumper - and the whole saga that went down in the book.

Life could never be dull.
                            i haven't read that book yet, so as soon as you mentioned it, i didn't read the rest of your post. (i like surprises)

but anyways, i don't believe sam and jack's love life has *that* much of an outcome on the world. lots of things can set something in motion, but unless sam and/or jack have bombs planted in their reproductive organs, i don't see them being one of those things.

all opinions vary and are welcome.
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I get where you're coming from NEI. Certainly Sam and Jack had to face some uncomfortable realizations in PoV, but I suppose that's what I like about it. First, I'm a cavern dweller. Give me the angst baby! But PoV also served the purposes of AUs very well; it allowed us to see a different side to our characters and forces them to look at their own choices from a differnt point of view (pardon the pun).

As for Sam and Jack being together as a harbinger to the end of the world I would have to dispute that conclusion. You'll notice that the real linch pin of each of these alternate disasters is not that Sam and Jack are together but that SG-1 isn't. Daniel doesn't join the program, Teal'c doesn't rebel, Sam is a civilian who isn't going through the gate and pulling their collective @$$es out of the fire, and Jack is only better off when he has all of his team making him a better man.

Comment

i haven't read that book yet, so as soon as you mentioned it, i didn't read the rest of your post. (i like surprises)

but anyways, i don't believe sam and jack's love life has *that* much of an outcome on the world. lots of things can set something in motion, but unless sam and/or jack have bombs planted in their reproductive organs, i don't see them being one of those things.

all opinions vary and are welcome.
                                You never know, Ba'al did have lots of time to mess with Jack... some conveniently hidden device that goes boom when in very close proximity to naquadah...

No, on a serious note, it could easily just be a coincidence.

I still think the A/U, A/T, A/R, hallucinations-due-to-concussion eps are cruel and a way to torture Sam and Jack - and give us the long awaited kisses, why do the two have to come hand in hand? Every kiss we got had a whole X303 full of angst to go with it. (Moebius is the only exception, it has a different tone to it and was designed to tie everything together - I adore geeky naive Sam, 'I can fix that.')

Comment

Working...
                                X