Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
    Yeah it was such a lame line "I wouldn't be here" - ?!? What the heck is that supposed to mean. He wouldn't be here because what? Charlie would still be alive and he'd be married to Sara? The world would have been destroyed if he was never on SG-1? He never would have met Sam at all?

I know some read it as "I wouldn't be here listening to you breaking my heart talking about marrying someone else because I'd have married you years ago and we'd have kids and a dog by now" but I just can't see it personally. As much as I would like to.

A more appropriate response would have been something like:
    Jack: "Carter... I...I don't know-"
    Sam: "Sir, hypothetically, just humour me. Please."
    Jack: "I'm happy that you're happy!"
    Sam: "That all?"
    (Stares at her sadly)
    Jack: "I... Think you already know the answer, Sam."
    Sam: "And if I don't?"
    Jack: "Then maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said I'd rather die myself than lose you."
    (Sam looks shocked and wide eyed.)
    Sam: "I wasn't sure if that still stands."
    (Jack smiles weakly)
    Jack: "Always, Carter, always."
    Now, this totally should have happened!!

I never really understood that scene in Affinity, and what they were/weren't trying to say. The ambiguity of Jack's "I wouldn't be here" drives me crazy, because I don't know how to take it. I would like to think it's because if he had to do things differently, him and Sam would be together already. However, the other part of me thinks it's to do with Charlie and Sara.

I was wondering though, in the other AUs (say, TBFTGOG), Sam and Jack are together, but Charlie still died. So, maybe my first thought fits better?

I've spent far too much time thinking about this recently..
    "I'd rather have died myself than lose Carter... Because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to."
    My Fics | My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wacky_jacqs View Post

I never really understood that scene in Affinity, and what they were/weren't trying to say. The ambiguity of Jack's "I wouldn't be here" drives me crazy, because I don't know how to take it. I would like to think it's because if he had to do things differently, him and Sam would be together already. However, the other part of me thinks it's to do with Charlie and Sara.

I was wondering though, in the other AUs (say, TBFTGOG), Sam and Jack are together, but Charlie still died. So, maybe my first thought fits better?

I found myself looking incredulously at Sam's moment of stupidity (although it was most probably spurred on by her conflicted emotions) for asking Jack such a question behind another man's proposal. If she was trying to relay her doubts, I don't think Jack got it too clearly. And if he did, well, what could he possibly say?

But I loved it for revealing so much of what Jack tends to hide (RDA's got such an expressive face), and in my imagination Jack is more than a bit more broken and and also more than a bit angry rather than the resigned melancholy that most people believe him to be. But he hides it too well, and says only the vague minimum.

Above all, I was ready to bang their heads together!

So I've a love-hate relationship with this ambiguity actually but have come across some interpretations of the "I wouldn't be here" response that make sense to me: I wouldn't be in the SGC/Charlie wouldn't be dead/I wouldn't be in this awful position of listening to you say something like this.
      Last edited by Ikorni; 17 January 2013, 06:28 AM.
      Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I love the ambiguity of Jack's answer and to be fair, considering Sam is asking this while presenting him with another man's ring, I don't think she's entitled to more than Jack is willing to say. Quite frankly, I was surprised (and not in a good way) that she even dared to ask him something like that at that point. In particular because it has to be a shock for Jack seeing as how her relationship with Pete was "nothing serious", it's on base (with cameras) and even if he did pour his heart out to her after seeing the ring then what? I doubt she would have called the whole thing off and gotten together with him instead, since they are still in the same chain of command and she's involved with another man.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

What episode is this?
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            I love the ambiguity of Jack's answer and to be fair, considering Sam is asking this while presenting him with another man's ring, I don't think she's entitled to more than Jack is willing to say. Quite frankly, I was surprised (and not in a good way) that she even dared to ask him something like that at that point. In particular because it has to be a shock for Jack seeing as how her relationship with Pete was "nothing serious", it's on base (with cameras) and even if he did pour his heart out to her after seeing the ring then what? I doubt she would have called the whole thing off and gotten together with him instead, since they are still in the same chain of command and she's involved with another man.
            Yep. What she said.
            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
              What episode is this?
              Still Affinity.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

So... this is when the fiasco with takes on a whole new level?
                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                  So... this is when the fiasco with takes on a whole new level?
                  A whole new low, yep.
                  Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

From how this one is sounding, it reminds me of the second "Boomerang" episode in JAG.

Comment

Originally posted by wacky_jacqs View Post

Here's my fanfic re-writing Affinity

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8916908/1/Affinity-20
                      Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post
                        Here's my fanfic re-writing Affinity

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8916908/1/Affinity-20
                        Excellent! I shall read it tonight, thank you
                        "I'd rather have died myself than lose Carter... Because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to."
                        My Fics | My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Not sure I can get my stories done before SaraB posts her review, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Enigma

Spoiler:

There is often enormous significance placed on one’s first kiss.

The first time Sam kissed a boy she was fourteen years old. His name was Kevin Mercer. Under pressure from her friends Sam had allowed him to take her into a dark corner during a school dance. The kiss was all lips and saliva. It was awkward and kind of icky. Sam couldn’t understand why this was such a preoccupation among her peers. But then, none of them could understand what was so fascinating about quantum mechanics. Their loss.

When Kevin Mercer decided to take things further and tried to reach his hand under Sam’s blouse she decked him.

Her father was furious when he had to pick her up at the principal’s office that night and was informed of her three day suspension. When Sam finally got over her embarrassment and told him the whole story he took those days off from work and they spent the time at home playing board games, eating ice cream and watching movies together. It was one of Sam’s favorite memories.

The first time Sam kissed an alien she was coming up on her first year in the stargate program. His name was Narim. Under pressure from General Hammond Sam had befriended him in order to learn more about his people, the Tollan, and their technology.

He had not been circumspect about his admiration for her. When he presented her with a recorder that allowed her to feel his emotions for her she was moved. They shared an awkward kiss that thankfully was interrupted by Daniel. It was one of Sam’s more interesting memories.

The first time Sam kissed Jack was just after her transfer to Area 51 had come through. The pressure of remaining apart had finally become too great and they knew it was time for their lives to change. Unwilling to let this limited opportunity slip by they hurriedly gathered their closest friends together at Jack’s cabin for their long awaited and much desired union.

Surprisingly the kiss was not the least bit awkward. A little hesitant at first but soon warm and ardent, the intimate touch was one of sweetness and fulfillment. It was the perfect first kiss.
                          Tried to green you but...
                          Very nice first kiss!!
                          sigpic
                          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

My quest continues! (This is taking longer than I thought. )

Solitudes

Spoiler:
                            Teal’c sat in Colonel O’Neill’s living room impatient for his teammates to settle in so he could begin the movie. Daniel Jackson was seated on the floor beside the coffee table reading a book. O’Neill had his casted leg propped up on a pillow on that same coffee table with a blanket over his torso. He was complaining loudly about not being allowed to have a beer. Captain Samantha Carter placed a bowl of popcorn between herself and the Colonel as she took up position on the other end of the couch.

Teal’c was pleased to be gathered with his teammates, all looking well and in good spirits; although, it would still be several more weeks before O’Neill recovered sufficiently for them to one again travel together through the stargate. It had been a long and difficult recovery from their ordeal trapped under the ice of Antarctica.

As the movie played Daniel continued reading his book oblivious to the drama on the screen or the little scene being played out on the couch behind him. Teal’c, however, noticed all.
                            He could see Captain Carter had begun shivering slightly. Not surprisingly, she had demonstrated a heightened sensitivity to cold in recent weeks. O’Neill, who had developed a heightened sensitivity to Captain Carter, also noticed the shivering and offered to share his blanket with her. Reluctant at first, with some gentle coxing she gave in to his wishes and moved closer to him. He placed the blanket around them both and said something about a sidearm, a remark Teal’c did not understand, but one that elicited a giggle from the Captain. As the movie continued, Teal’c noted Captain Carter’s head as is it drifted down onto O’Neill’s shoulder and how O’Neill unconsciously leaned in toward her.

Teal’c had observed an attraction between his two military teammates from the very beginning. But since being stranded together, he sensed a bond of true caring had formed between them that went far beyond mere physical allure. That they were meant for one another seemed obvious to Teal’c, but no one spoke of it or even seemed to acknowledge this fact in any way. Teal’c decided it must be some kind of custom among the Tau’ri to pretend not to notice the mating overtures between couples until the pair formally acknowledged their union. Until that time, which Teal’c was certain would eventually come, he would continue to silently observe and support his friends.

Satisfied in this resolve, Teal’c returned his full attention to the movie.
                            Another great ficlet - I have to scroll back and see what I missed!
                            sigpic
                            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

This little ditty is a particular favorite of mine. I laughed out loud when I first thought of it.

Politics

Spoiler:
                              Sam stood in her lab in her dress uniform going over some calculations based on the information Daniel had given them about this supposed alternate reality he had visited while she waited to be called up to the briefing room for this hearing Colonel Samuels had sprung on them. Jack watched her brow furrow in concentration from his vantage point leaning against the door jamb half in and half out of the room. He tried not to dwell on how adorable she looked when she was thinking, and she was always thinking.

Jack shook himself from his reverie and walked fully into the room, commanding her attention. Sam noted that her CO was also dressed for the hearing although slightly more rumpled than she, and she momentarily wondered how he could look so disheveled and so damn hot at the same time. Quickly disembarking her mind from that speeding locomotive she addressed her superior officer.

“What can I do for you, Sir?”

“I need you to help me understand something about this alternate reality thing Daniel was prattling on about.” He reached for a piece of equipment on Sam’s lab table, but she unobtrusively moved it away before he could take hold of it.

“I’ll do my best, Sir. What is it you’d like to understand?”

Jack paused as he took a moment to place his hands in his pockets and roll back and forth on his toes. Sam waited patiently.

“How is it theoretically possible that we could be engaged?”

Sam resisted rolling her eyes at the inquiry. The Colonel seemed particularly hung up on that detail of Daniel’s report from his alternate reality experience and Sam didn’t know whether to be flattered or offended. But she chose to approach the question in the way that was most comfortable for her, the scientific perspective.

Sam stepped over to a whiteboard at the back of her lab and began drawing lines branching off from one another as she explained.

“One way to look at this is to think of the multiverse as a tree. At every point where a decision is made a new universe, or alternate reality if you will, is created and branches off in the direction of each possible outcome. As each new choice is confronted new realities identical to the old reality until that point of divergence grow out from the tree, and the number of potential realities increases exponentially ad infinitum to encompass every possible permutation of particle interaction; thus, resulting in an infinite number of separate and distinct branches of the multiverses.”

Sam completed her explanation and turned away from the board to find the Colonel standing before her, very much in her personal space, with a puzzled expression causing a crease in his forehead. He held up his hands as if to stop the torrent of information flowing from her and licked his lips carefully trying as he fought to comprehend.

“So,” he began speaking slowly, two fingers framing his face, “theoretically, if I were to decide to kiss you right now . . .?” Sam’s eyes widened.

Undeterred by the rising alarm in Sam’s face, he continued, “That would create a different reality than if I just stood here, thinking about it . . . I mean talking about it,” he began erratically gesturing between them, “We’re talking and I’m not kissing you. Just standing here.”

He dropped his hands to his side and Sam found herself biting her lower lip to hold back the smile that was trying to escape at his discomfort.

“Yes, Sir.” Sam spoke, trying to sound nonplussed. “Theoretically it would.”

Jack moved almost imperceptibly closer. The toes of their shoes were nearly touching. He looked down on her with a mesmerizing intensity. His voice was low and gruff, “So somewhere in one of these branches I’m kissing you right now?”

It almost wasn’t a question and Sam stood before him speechless swinging her gaze from his eyes to his lips and back again. Slowly she nodded her head once. “Yes, Sir. That is theoretically possible.”

Another moment passed and then suddenly Jack jumped back as if the electric charge between them had finally reached an intensity to push them apart like dueling poles of two magnets.

“Thanks for the physics lesson, Carter.” Jack tapped on the doorframe as he exited her lab and disappeared down the hall.

Sam took in a deep breath and began to erase the haphazard drawing from the whiteboard.

All the while the words of the taunting grade school rhyme scrolled through her mind.

Jack and Sam sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G . . .
                              I loved this!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                                Another great ficlet - I have to scroll back and see what I missed!
                                You do this They are all awesome

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X