Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
    I agree about subtlety. What I hate most about Affinity, of course, is the Sam inquiry of Jack. I know the writers like to be ambivalent and vague and have us interpret and fill in the gaps. But I tell ya, I CAN SEE SHIP IN ANYTHING and I just couldn't make out WHAT that was supposed to be from Jack.
    Yeah it was such a lame line "I wouldn't be here" - ?!? What the heck is that supposed to mean. He wouldn't be here because what? Charlie would still be alive and he'd be married to Sara? The world would have been destroyed if he was never on SG-1? He never would have met Sam at all?

I know some read it as "I wouldn't be here listening to you breaking my heart talking about marrying someone else because I'd have married you years ago and we'd have kids and a dog by now" but I just can't see it personally. As much as I would like to.

A more appropriate response would have been something like:
    Jack: "Carter... I...I don't know-"
    Sam: "Sir, hypothetically, just humour me. Please."
    Jack: "I'm happy that you're happy!"
    Sam: "That all?"
    (Stares at her sadly)
    Jack: "I... Think you already know the answer, Sam."
    Sam: "And if I don't?"
    Jack: "Then maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said I'd rather die myself than lose you."
    (Sam looks shocked and wide eyed.)
    Sam: "I wasn't sure if that still stands."
    (Jack smiles weakly)
    Jack: "Always, Carter, always."
    Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
      I agree about subtlety. What I hate most about Affinity, of course, is the Sam inquiry of Jack. I know the writers like to be ambivalent and vague and have us interpret and fill in the gaps. But I tell ya, I CAN SEE SHIP IN ANYTHING and I just couldn't make out WHAT that was supposed to be from Jack.
      I actually quite appreciated the ambiguousness of the scene, how that last line can be taken to mean "if charlie was still alive I wouldn't have joined the SGC" or "I wouldn't be in this position...we'd already be together" or Jack's cop-out because he didn't want sam to marry Pete, yet he wants her to be happy. I like the angst and unknown involved.

Actually, that's probably the only scene I liked about Affinity. As others have mentioned, some of it was a wee bit OOC for Sam.

Amanda even said it in an interview (from the gateworld summary...) talking about the last scene.

Spoiler:
      "In 'Affinity' there's a scene that after first reading it I got on the phone to [executive producer] Rob Cooper and said, 'My character would never say that.' As the actress playing Sam and as somebody who probably has the most invested in her personally, I had some real issues with this scene. Rob, however, came up with a very compelling argument in favor of the scene because it furthers Sam's relationship with Pete in a big way. We wound up doing it as written and I told Rob, 'The fans are going to hate me.' He said, 'No they won't,' and I was like, 'Oh yes they will.' I'm praying they don't. In the end I understood what Rob meant. The scene is certainly going to stir up more conflict for Sam in future episodes." ("Carter" actress Amanda Tapping, in an interview with TV Zone magazine [Special #58])

Originally posted by AmberLM View Post

(Stares at her sadly)
      Jack: "Then maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said I'd rather die myself than lose you."
      (Jack smiles weakly)
      Squee! I LOVE this version! is there more to that? fic perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
        I actually quite appreciated the ambiguousness of the scene, how that last line can be taken to mean "if charlie was still alive I wouldn't have joined the SGC" or "I wouldn't be in this position...we'd already be together" or Jack's cop-out because he didn't want sam to marry Pete, yet he wants her to be happy. I like the angst and unknown involved.

Actually, that's probably the only scene I liked about Affinity. As others have mentioned, some of it was a wee bit OOC for Sam.

Amanda even said it in an interview (from the gateworld summary...) talking about the last scene.

Spoiler:
        "In 'Affinity' there's a scene that after first reading it I got on the phone to [executive producer] Rob Cooper and said, 'My character would never say that.' As the actress playing Sam and as somebody who probably has the most invested in her personally, I had some real issues with this scene. Rob, however, came up with a very compelling argument in favor of the scene because it furthers Sam's relationship with Pete in a big way. We wound up doing it as written and I told Rob, 'The fans are going to hate me.' He said, 'No they won't,' and I was like, 'Oh yes they will.' I'm praying they don't. In the end I understood what Rob meant. The scene is certainly going to stir up more conflict for Sam in future episodes." ("Carter" actress Amanda Tapping, in an interview with TV Zone magazine [Special #58])

Squee! I LOVE this version! is there more to that? fic perhaps?
        Rob, Rob... Why do you not listen to Amanda? She's right, not that we hate her but the writer who put it in her mouth needs to rethink. I suppose you can't really argue too much with your boss, good on Amanda for trying though.

Yeah, I might write a fic. I have an exam today and if I survive it then I may write it in celebration of my last day.
        Sam and Jack... Still the best romance on TV in years!

My fanfic http://www.fanfiction.net/~drawntotherhythm

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          This little ditty is a particular favorite of mine. I laughed out loud when I first thought of it.

Politics

Spoiler:
          Sam stood in her lab in her dress uniform going over some calculations based on the information Daniel had given them about this supposed alternate reality he had visited while she waited to be called up to the briefing room for this hearing Colonel Samuels had sprung on them. Jack watched her brow furrow in concentration from his vantage point leaning against the door jamb half in and half out of the room. He tried not to dwell on how adorable she looked when she was thinking, and she was always thinking.

Jack shook himself from his reverie and walked fully into the room, commanding her attention. Sam noted that her CO was also dressed for the hearing although slightly more rumpled than she, and she momentarily wondered how he could look so disheveled and so damn hot at the same time. Quickly disembarking her mind from that speeding locomotive she addressed her superior officer.

“What can I do for you, Sir?”

“I need you to help me understand something about this alternate reality thing Daniel was prattling on about.” He reached for a piece of equipment on Sam’s lab table, but she unobtrusively moved it away before he could take hold of it.

“I’ll do my best, Sir. What is it you’d like to understand?”

Jack paused as he took a moment to place his hands in his pockets and roll back and forth on his toes. Sam waited patiently.

“How is it theoretically possible that we could be engaged?”

Sam resisted rolling her eyes at the inquiry. The Colonel seemed particularly hung up on that detail of Daniel’s report from his alternate reality experience and Sam didn’t know whether to be flattered or offended. But she chose to approach the question in the way that was most comfortable for her, the scientific perspective.

Sam stepped over to a whiteboard at the back of her lab and began drawing lines branching off from one another as she explained.

“One way to look at this is to think of the multiverse as a tree. At every point where a decision is made a new universe, or alternate reality if you will, is created and branches off in the direction of each possible outcome. As each new choice is confronted new realities identical to the old reality until that point of divergence grow out from the tree, and the number of potential realities increases exponentially ad infinitum to encompass every possible permutation of particle interaction; thus, resulting in an infinite number of separate and distinct branches of the multiverses.”

Sam completed her explanation and turned away from the board to find the Colonel standing before her, very much in her personal space, with a puzzled expression causing a crease in his forehead. He held up his hands as if to stop the torrent of information flowing from her and licked his lips carefully trying as he fought to comprehend.

“So,” he began speaking slowly, two fingers framing his face, “theoretically, if I were to decide to kiss you right now . . .?” Sam’s eyes widened.

Undeterred by the rising alarm in Sam’s face, he continued, “That would create a different reality than if I just stood here, thinking about it . . . I mean talking about it,” he began erratically gesturing between them, “We’re talking and I’m not kissing you. Just standing here.”

He dropped his hands to his side and Sam found herself biting her lower lip to hold back the smile that was trying to escape at his discomfort.

“Yes, Sir.” Sam spoke, trying to sound nonplussed. “Theoretically it would.”

Jack moved almost imperceptibly closer. The toes of their shoes were nearly touching. He looked down on her with a mesmerizing intensity. His voice was low and gruff, “So somewhere in one of these branches I’m kissing you right now?”

It almost wasn’t a question and Sam stood before him speechless swinging her gaze from his eyes to his lips and back again. Slowly she nodded her head once. “Yes, Sir. That is theoretically possible.”

Another moment passed and then suddenly Jack jumped back as if the electric charge between them had finally reached an intensity to push them apart like dueling poles of two magnets.

“Thanks for the physics lesson, Carter.” Jack tapped on the doorframe as he exited her lab and disappeared down the hall.

Sam took in a deep breath and began to erase the haphazard drawing from the whiteboard.

All the while the words of the taunting grade school rhyme scrolled through her mind.

Jack and Sam sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G . . .
          Fantastic!
          sigpic
          Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Yeah it was such a lame line "I wouldn't be here" - ?!? What the heck is that supposed to mean. He wouldn't be here because what? Charlie would still be alive and he'd be married to Sara? The world would have been destroyed if he was never on SG-1? He never would have met Sam at all?

I know some read it as "I wouldn't be here listening to you breaking my heart talking about marrying someone else because I'd have married you years ago and we'd have kids and a dog by now" but I just can't see it personally. As much as I would like to.

(Stares at her sadly)
            (Jack smiles weakly)
            now THAT'S dialog!!

it's mature, goes with the canon situation, and actually, you know, RESOLVES the issue with sam and jack.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I always interpreted the words themselves as more straightforward: If things had been different, Charlie would be alive and I would not have joined the SGC.

Saying that, I still felt ALL the tension and the unsaid things between them:

: I want you to be happy and I'm not ready to remove myself from the fight against the goa'uld, and I don't want to remove your incredible mind from the program, so we're stuck...I can't tell you to turn down Pete's offer.

: I'm not sure I want 'normal'...I want YOU...whatever this crazy thing is that is growing between us. Can you give me a hint? Do you still want this? Do you still care about me more than you are supposed to, or has that time passed me by?

*sigh* {{delicate huggles S/J}}
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Thanks for great review of The Seprpent's Lair SaraB. You pretty much covered all of the good stuff. But, before I fall behind on the Season 2 rewatch already, I want to add my own comments.

I love this episode! The whole 4 episode arc starting with TBfthGoG and culminating with this season opener is just terrific. (I even enjoy Politics.) But this episode is especially dazzling IMO.

First off, Brad Wright is just an excellent storyteller. He combines action and adventure with lots of character moments, all balanced with a wry humor and presented with exceptional pacing.

Jack's through line about having a bad day is great. And I love the friendly rivalry between him and Bray'tac.

Now you know how strong my shippy perscription is so it should come as no surprise to anyone that I find this episode very shippy. I know Jack and Sam are at work here and as expected are being very professional, but I just sense this closeness between them.

One of my favorite bits is when they've just blown up the ships and Sam is so caught up in their decaying orbit Jack has to remind her to look around and just take in the moment.

Comment

Shippy Moments from The Serpent's Lair.

She bites him; “I like your spirit”

The exchange of looks when they leave Daniel

The exchange in the gliders at the end

Jack hugs her as the camera pans out right at the end

Comment

My Banners from the ep:

Comment

by Rose

Comment

My Stolen Kisses Ficlet: Half Missed.

I still plan to write another little ficlet/drabble to go with my Mixed-up Files collection.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Shippy Moments from The Serpent's Lair.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...PDVD_036-2.jpg
                          She bites him; “I like your spirit”

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...PDVD_024-1.jpg
                          The exchange of looks when they leave Daniel

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...PDVD_029-1.jpg
                          The exchange in the gliders at the end

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...PDVD_032-1.jpg

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/...2/PDVD_001.jpg
                          Jack hugs her as the camera pans out right at the end
                          I always lighten up the photograph, just because they are often so darkly lit that it's hard to see what's being pointed out. This one shows up the hug more clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I always lighten up the photograph, just because they are often so darkly lit that it's hard to see what's being pointed out. This one shows up the hug more clearly.
                            Nice one, Hedwig. I actually didn't even notice that until you pointed it out!
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Now that you pointed it out, hlndncr, I will have a closer look at the episode since I am rewatching the series again.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this quite shippy, there is certainly a lot of looks between the two of them. This was one of the random episodes we watched for the virtual AT event i co=organised back in November for s4k, and one of my pledges was $2 every time jack and sam looked at each other, seeings we watched this, 200 and avenger i was pretty skint by the end of it
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Working...
                                X