No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that it’s ok to interrupt this rewatch to comment on issues surrounding S/J’s post threads relationship. I just finished reading this thread and there is some interesting discussion about this on pg. 294-ish.

Spoiler'd for length...
    Spoiler:

Originally posted by Jolinar_of_Malkshur View Post
    I'm completely with you on this one. They both take their careers way too seriously to throw it all away for some secret affair, and after waiting so long for a relationship they are going to find a way to make it work and also keep their jobs and self-respect.
    I can't believe that they would go so far as to break their relationship off with Sam's return to the SGC as, like I said, they waited so long to finally get there that it would be a hard thing to just throw it all away. So I'm of the belief that they must have took the chance and gotten married somewhere between Threads and Beachhead (I think that's the right ep?). After all those years of working closely together, developing such strong feelings for one another and knowing each other so well on many levels, I think it's a chance they'd likely take when finally able to do something about their feelings.
    It is completely believable to be that S/J married between Threads and Beacheads; after reading this (entire!) thread, reflecting on all the military relationships I’ve known, and the regulations it doesn’t make sense to me that they would not be. Military courtships (even when one party is a civilian) are often brief due to practical reasons; those haven’t been in may underestimate how often this happens. Though I don’t happen to know any marriages that occurred to keep a legitimate relationship from becoming an improper one (usually is to stay with your SO by making them a dependent or gaining the right to request a Joint Spouse assignment) it is a logical reason.

On the subjects of short courtships, Mil-to-Mil and Mil-to-Civ marriages, co-workers becoming couples, and being in the same chain of command…
    There’s a lot of military in my family, all USAF enlisted, though my husband (military kid) has a hs friend that is an Army officer. We have 4+ (one upcoming) Mil-to-Mil and Mil-to-Civ marriages in my immediate family alone; everyone is currently separated or retired plus one pending enlistment.
    When I was in tech school there was actually a briefing (among dozens) about how getting married in tech school (which is normally immediately after basic training) is a BAD idea and that 93% of tech school marriages end in divorce. I’m not sure if the statistic is real but I can believe it as most tech schools are 4 months or less (iirc). The one airman I knew who got married while in tech school to another airman was stationed separately than his wife (tech school for our AFSC/career field was too short to get orders changed in time) and was divorced within a year.

I met my husband in tech school but we didn’t get married until 15 months later; still a brief period by many persons’ standards (we’ve been married 12+ years). We actually only spent 10 weeks (total) of that 15 months in the same physical location; two months after we met I went to my duty station in Europe and three months later he went to his in AK. We were stationed apart for 2 years of the first 2yrs. 2mo. of our relationship. But, his family was stationed in Europe with me ) (different country) that first year. We calculated that we needed to get married at least 6 months prior to my DEROS (date expected to return from overseas) as that is when the process of generating orders begins, plus a 2-3 month buffer for our marriage to get in the system. Also considered was avoiding flying in the winter (too many delays), saving enough leave, and knowing where his family would be as his dad was due to PCS in the time frame we were considering. At some point I had to put in paperwork requesting to be co-located with my husband. I had purposely chosen an AFSC that was required on any AF base and being of low rank (E-4) at the time so chances were good that it would happen. I actually outranked my husband our entire time in the military ) though we did have different AFSCs and were in different squadrons.

As has been said, the issue is being in the same reporting chain (your supervisor, your supervisor’s supervisor, etc.) and not the chain of command in general. Mil-to-Mil (married) couples are stationed together if requested and if a position is available (Joint Spouse). If a couple has the same AFSC (enlisted, as officers usually don’t work in their AFSC) they’re going to end up in the same shop (office); it’s not preferred and your spouse can’t be your supervisor, but it happens. Though I’ve known many Mil-to-Mil couples in general, I do actually know 2 enlisted couples (each couple was within 2 pay-grades of each other) now married 9 and 11 years, that met and married while working in the same office--and there were no issues; one person later separated and returned to the office as a civilian. I know a third couple where there were repercussions because the E-5 was the E-3’s supervisor (I know that they were found out early on but I don't know other details as it happened just before I arrived at that shop and was otherwise none of this airman's business). Couple 1 had each be married to others when they met but their marriages dissolved at different times for different reasons; by the time they got together they had known each other a couple of years as co-workers and friends in the same crowd, so their courtship was brief and they were married around 8 months later (I forget)—it probably would have happened earlier but they planned a full wedding. I also know a GS couple who had worked in the same squadron for years and knew each other, so when the married one divorced (unrelated to anyone outside the marriage) their courtship was brief as well—I think they were married within six months.
    I do think overly much is made of them adjusting to their civilian relationship. My husband and I joined the military at the same time, I always outranked him, I’m older, but I was the one who sometimes said “I’m not your airman” in the first few years of our marriage. I see that issue as a consequence of upbringing/personality than of simply being in the military; one can act authoritarian without having been in the military.

Soooo, back to S/J, I find it not only believable but probable that they married sometime between Threads and Beachead.

Comment

Definetely wouldn't put it past them to use that limited time expeditiously.
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by BlackmarketBeagle View Post
        I hope that it’s ok to interrupt this rewatch to comment on issues surrounding S/J’s post threads relationship. I just finished reading this thread and there is some interesting discussion about this on pg. 294-ish.

Spoiler'd for length...
        Spoiler:

It is completely believable to be that S/J married between Threads and Beacheads; after reading this (entire!) thread, reflecting on all the military relationships I’ve known, and the regulations it doesn’t make sense to me that they would not be. Military courtships (even when one party is a civilian) are often brief due to practical reasons; those haven’t been in may underestimate how often this happens. Though I don’t happen to know any marriages that occurred to keep a legitimate relationship from becoming an improper one (usually is to stay with your SO by making them a dependent or gaining the right to request a Joint Spouse assignment) it is a logical reason.

On the subjects of short courtships, Mil-to-Mil and Mil-to-Civ marriages, co-workers becoming couples, and being in the same chain of command…
        There’s a lot of military in my family, all USAF enlisted, though my husband (military kid) has a hs friend that is an Army officer. We have 4+ (one upcoming) Mil-to-Mil and Mil-to-Civ marriages in my immediate family alone; everyone is currently separated or retired plus one pending enlistment.
        When I was in tech school there was actually a briefing (among dozens) about how getting married in tech school (which is normally immediately after basic training) is a BAD idea and that 93% of tech school marriages end in divorce. I’m not sure if the statistic is real but I can believe it as most tech schools are 4 months or less (iirc). The one airman I knew who got married while in tech school to another airman was stationed separately than his wife (tech school for our AFSC/career field was too short to get orders changed in time) and was divorced within a year.

I met my husband in tech school but we didn’t get married until 15 months later; still a brief period by many persons’ standards (we’ve been married 12+ years). We actually only spent 10 weeks (total) of that 15 months in the same physical location; two months after we met I went to my duty station in Europe and three months later he went to his in AK. We were stationed apart for 2 years of the first 2yrs. 2mo. of our relationship. But, his family was stationed in Europe with me ) (different country) that first year. We calculated that we needed to get married at least 6 months prior to my DEROS (date expected to return from overseas) as that is when the process of generating orders begins, plus a 2-3 month buffer for our marriage to get in the system. Also considered was avoiding flying in the winter (too many delays), saving enough leave, and knowing where his family would be as his dad was due to PCS in the time frame we were considering. At some point I had to put in paperwork requesting to be co-located with my husband. I had purposely chosen an AFSC that was required on any AF base and being of low rank (E-4) at the time so chances were good that it would happen. I actually outranked my husband our entire time in the military ) though we did have different AFSCs and were in different squadrons.

As has been said, the issue is being in the same reporting chain (your supervisor, your supervisor’s supervisor, etc.) and not the chain of command in general. Mil-to-Mil (married) couples are stationed together if requested and if a position is available (Joint Spouse). If a couple has the same AFSC (enlisted, as officers usually don’t work in their AFSC) they’re going to end up in the same shop (office); it’s not preferred and your spouse can’t be your supervisor, but it happens. Though I’ve known many Mil-to-Mil couples in general, I do actually know 2 enlisted couples (each couple was within 2 pay-grades of each other) now married 9 and 11 years, that met and married while working in the same office--and there were no issues; one person later separated and returned to the office as a civilian. I know a third couple where there were repercussions because the E-5 was the E-3’s supervisor (I know that they were found out early on but I don't know other details as it happened just before I arrived at that shop and was otherwise none of this airman's business). Couple 1 had each be married to others when they met but their marriages dissolved at different times for different reasons; by the time they got together they had known each other a couple of years as co-workers and friends in the same crowd, so their courtship was brief and they were married around 8 months later (I forget)—it probably would have happened earlier but they planned a full wedding. I also know a GS couple who had worked in the same squadron for years and knew each other, so when the married one divorced (unrelated to anyone outside the marriage) their courtship was brief as well—I think they were married within six months.
        I do think overly much is made of them adjusting to their civilian relationship. My husband and I joined the military at the same time, I always outranked him, I’m older, but I was the one who sometimes said “I’m not your airman” in the first few years of our marriage. I see that issue as a consequence of upbringing/personality than of simply being in the military; one can act authoritarian without having been in the military.

Soooo, back to S/J, I find it not only believable but probable that they married sometime between Threads and Beachead.
        Welcome!! Thanks for your input. Hope to see around come Shipmas.
        No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
        It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I've gone back a few pages but can't see it - did I miss the official review of Tin Man? Are we still on re-watch schedule? JolinarofMolksur, have you done one of your reviews for Tin Man? I NEED it **withdrawal** **shakes**
          sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackmarketBeagle View Post

Spoiler'd for length...
            Spoiler:

My father is a retired USAF officer (didn't retire until I was almost done with college) and I have several military friends and this has pretty much been my experience with them. My high school BFF married her husband after knowing him less than six months - he was about to be deployed to Korea and if she wanted to get assigned to his follow on, they had to be official. My other really good friend married her husband two years ago. They'd met, she was deployed, and they literally picked the date in which they were going to be in the same country. She got back, two weeks later they got married and two weeks later he was deployed.

Military culture just works different from civ. culture - life moves at the speed of light it feels like sometimes.

I'm of the mindset that they got hitched. That's my canon and I'm sticking to it

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
              I've gone back a few pages but can't see it - did I miss the official review of Tin Man? Are we still on re-watch schedule? JolinarofMolksur, have you done one of your reviews for Tin Man? I NEED it **withdrawal** **shakes**
              Sorry Ramona, I'm so behind with my rewatch reviews! I still have Cor-ai and the rest of the eps following that to do. Not been too well and had my stepson to look after for nearly two weeks while his mum's been in hospital, but taking him home tomorrow so hopefully I'll find time to have a major catch up!
              sigpic
              Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

i believe we are a missing a review.

Comment

Hey guys, a friend of mine found this t-shirt battle and I thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    i believe we are a missing a review.
                    The one for Tin Man? Yes...Meredithe noted this on the last page:

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                    I talked to Brendini and she said she was working on the review. I loved the scene towards the end when the robot SG1 team interacts with the real team... the Sams and Daniels were hilarious!!!
                    ...so we are waiting for that review.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Sorry guys I know I'm behind with posting the review for there but for the grace of god, not been too well but will post tomorrow xx
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                        My father is a retired USAF officer (didn't retire until I was almost done with college) and I have several military friends and this has pretty much been my experience with them. My high school BFF married her husband after knowing him less than six months - he was about to be deployed to Korea and if she wanted to get assigned to his follow on, they had to be official. My other really good friend married her husband two years ago. They'd met, she was deployed, and they literally picked the date in which they were going to be in the same country. She got back, two weeks later they got married and two weeks later he was deployed.

Military culture just works different from civ. culture - life moves at the speed of light it feels like sometimes.
                        I actually started my post after reading yours as I got the impression that your friend's story came across as a "one-off."

Now that I finally posted my opus on marriage in the military I have a follow-up regarding the “special dispensation option” via the President...

Spoiled for length but not as long as the last one ...
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t think their peers would see it as “special treatment” unless it is unfairly applied as the mechanism exists for a reason; it would probably more like “I figured they’d need to ask for one of those.” Even though the “special dispensation” comes from the president it isn’t necessary that he actually know the persons involved. There is probably a form (well, S/J would still have to do the form , or a letter required (that is joined by other letters) that would go up the chain of command with the recommendations of the relevant people and the President would probably go with their recommendation. There are various others circumstances (and much more common I imagine) under which an airman can request “special treatment” if they fit the criteria and it gels with the needs of the AirForce, but those normally just go as high as the airman’s base commander and then are sent to the Personnel HQ (iirc).

I imagine that it is a rare circumstance that such a dispensation is requested. It is not usual for even officers to change assignments that often, so the circumstances of a legitimate relationship being made “illegitimate” by a short notice change of assignment before the parties involved have the chance to marry are probably few.

The only reason that I can think of that one would actually ask for such a dispensation instead of 1) ending the relationship [not what I imagine S/J would do] or 2) marrying, is that to do the latter would put them in actual violation of the regulations or in a grey area where it would somehow not “look good” (perhaps if the orders were already cut) as perception is a big deal in the military. Otherwise it’s probably a lot of paperwork and explaining of your personal business a lot of people that likely out rank you, all the way up to the Commander in Chief!

I hadn’t heard of this special dispensation until it was mentioned up-thread by (Nynaeve506?) so I’m just extrapolating from what I do know.

Comment

But you're talking about asking for special dispensation for when Sam gets reassigned to the SGC after her stint at Area 51 (between the end of season 8 and season 9's Beachhead), right? Just to clarify, as there are also plenty of fanfic stories about them getting together while still both assigned to the SGC and as CO/2IC and then asking for special dispensation. Or more like getting it from the writer, because the President obviously offers it to them immediately.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Hiya fems! How's the sequel to Beyond Entrapment coming along?
                            sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                              Hiya fems! How's the sequel to Beyond Entrapment coming along?
                              It's not. I always try to work on one fic only (well, at least when I'm in the writing stage) and right now I'm working on the Secret Santa fic. The sequel to BE probably won't be up next either, as I also have other fic ideas and I haven't decided yet which story I want to work on next.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                                It's not. I always try to work on one fic only (well, at least when I'm in the writing stage) and right now I'm working on the Secret Santa fic. The sequel to BE probably won't be up next either, as I also have other fic ideas and I haven't decided yet which story I want to work on next.
                                Ah. Fair enough. How's your Secret Santa going?

Comment

Working...
                                X