No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My slightly late contributions to the rewatch of...

Fire and Water

Really enjoyed rewatching this ep, it's been a while!
    sigpic
    Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

Read my review yet, Jolinar?
      sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
      https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

I did indeed, it was great Be watching that ep myself over the weekend hopefully (keep getting behind on the rewatch due to uni work!). Also, Happy Birthday for yesterday! I'm not on here as much at the moment due to said workload, so I saw it was your birthday a little too late.
        sigpic

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

I love that episode! If that point hasn't already been made clear!
          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Synopsis:

SG-1 arrives on a planet called Hanka and quickly learns that everyone, natives and SG personnel alike, has died from a mysterious disease. They find Cassandra, the lone survivor, and take her back to Earth. They soon discover that she has a bomb planted inside her, set to blow in a matter of hours –and removing it is impossible. ~Stargate Wiki

Favorite Lines:

DANIEL: So, what exactly are we going to see after this eclipse begins? I mean, it is black, and it is a hole…
            O'NEILL: Well, it might be a black hole.
            DANIEL: Okay. Let me put that a different way
            CARTER: No Daniel, you're right. You can't exactly see it, not the singularity itself. It's so massive, not even light can escape it. But, during the totality phase of the eclipse, you should be able to see matter spiraling towards it.
            O'NEILL: Actually, it's called the accretion disk.
            DANIEL: Well, I guess it's easy enough to understand why the local population would be afraid of something like thi…(does a double take and looks at O'Neill). What did you just say?
            O'NEILL: It's just an astronomical term.
            CARTER: You didn't think the Colonel had a telescope on his roof just to look at the neighbors, did you?
            O'NEILL: Not initially.

DANIEL: Jack, she's going back down.
            O'NEILL: The hell she is.

O'NEILL: Captain Carter? Can you hear me? ...Sam, can you hear me?

Favorite Scene:

The entire elevator scene:
            Jack offering to take Cassie down the elevator.
            Sam squaring her shoulders and accepting the responsibility herself.
            Jack reminding her to leave enough time to get back to the surface.
            All the angst around Cassie waking up.
            The incredible emotional reaction Sam had on the way back up the elevator.
            Jack hovering so closely to the intercom, his posture willing Sam to answer him.

I just love it.

General Review/Analysis:

The episode opens with some light banter between the team members who are waiting to depart on their next mission. In short order we are struck with one of those moments where Jack reveals how astute he actually is: he knows about black holes –Daniel is nonplussed, but Sam shows no surprise…she is aware that the Colonel has a telescope on his roof and knows a thing or two about astronomy.

Did anyone else read the sign on Hanka? It appears that SG-7 has been in residence awhile. I’m drawing a blank on the ‘Douglas McLean Memorial Observatory’ referenced on the sign –can someone enlighten me? …I am unsure if Douglas McLean is significant to RL or the SGverse, and I’m just not making the connection.

The loss of life on Hanka struck me hard, as it always does, and finding out that it was genocide with the intent of shielding a weapon of mass destruction inside of a child created the same outrage in me as it did the first time I watched it.

Cassie has a profound effect on the team throughout her time on the show: in this ep, we get to see her initial attachment to Sam –a mother or aunt figure in a young life so recently bereft of family. Daniel is close at hand, offering support and concern for Cassie, and reminding Sam that she does not have to take on this responsibility alone. In later eps, we will see more of the trust she places in Jack, though we do not get to see them interact much in this ep. Teal’c was the first to offer her a smile and an outstretched hand, and she took it and placed herself in his care as well –though we don’t see a lot of bonding at this time, since he and Jack remain on the planet while Daniel and Sam accompany Cassie back to the SGC. I love the moments in the show that demonstrate the humanity in SG-1, and the family that they are becoming.

I’m glad that we get to see more of Dr. Frasier and her no-nonsense, practical approach to things. I didn’t appreciate before that Dr. Warner makes reappearance in this episode (the last time we saw him was ‘The Enemy Within’) –it’s nice to see returning staff.

The truth comes out: Cassie is an elaborate ‘Trojan horse’ biological ticking time bomb; it is revealed to Jack and Teal’c when they see Nirti’s ship in orbit, and to Sam, Dr. Frasier, and Daniel by the close examination/biopsy on Cassie. The weapon is designed to take out the Stargate, and they cannot take her through it, so the only choice is to place her deep underground and allow the inevitable to happen.

I grieve with Sam when she has to walk away and head back to the surface –I feel the anger, hurt and frustration in her tears. I know she told Jack that she ‘knew’ the device would not go off, but I tend toward the camp that says she didn’t actually know that –she went back to be with Cassie because it was the right thing to do. Her expression in the elevator can be interpreted either way: either she knows it’s hopeless, but she knows she can’t leave a child alone like that, or she suddenly connected the dots on Cassie’s miraculous awakening from the coma and DID figure out at the last moment that the device was neutralized.

The ending is filled with so much promise –Dr. Frasier is fostering Cassie, but we know that she will be adopting her shortly, and Sam assures Cassie that she will continue to be a part of her life. Jack gets her a DOG! It is so incredibly sweet.

Sam and Jack

It’s still early season, but I do like to wonder how it is that Sam knows about Jack’s telescope on the roof –was the team over at some point and she noticed it and tucked the info away, or did she pick it up in conversation?

I am ALWAYS struck by Jack’s reaction to Sam going back down the elevator. I know that it is not a one dimensional concern: she is under his command, she is becoming a good friend, I don’t know if any other feelings are emerging…it seems too soon, but hindsight does layer added emotion to this moment.

And finally…when he makes the call to see if she’s still alive, and she doesn’t respond to ‘Captain Carter’ …he calls her, simply and heavily, ‘Sam’. There are a few beats before she picks up and I always wait with Jack, breathless, for the sound of her voice. Again, this is early on –but the layers of this relationship are as delicious as a fine cake: the love of brothers-at-arms, the love of friends…and in the future will be the love of the blending of their hearts.

I hope this is coherent –I’m still adjusting to the new time schedule.
            Love you all!!
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Got more than you expected?
              Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
              Yes! LOL. Here I am six years later. I suppose I determined it was a worthy ship ^^
              heh heh...
              I fell into it, too.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I wish they had explained how she got all the way from Mexico to the SGC in that outfit that she was wearing without triggering alarms everywhere with authorities.
              *snort*

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
              Yeah... Season 1 of SG1 has its issues with plot holes. But that still doesn't stop me from liking the episode. Happy 21st birthday to me!
              1) HAPPY BIRTHDAY (late)!!!!
              2) While I see plot holes in the ep, I do enjoy watching it. The idea of Hathor and the kind of absolute power she exerts is fun to watch and entertaining to see how they will overcome it.

Originally posted by fems View Post
              Google! There are some excellent pictures of stargate cakes! Most have blue jello (sometimes with vodka) in the middle. It sounds so awesome and I would totally try to make it if I had the stuff, but unfortunately I don't and I'm not all that good at making cakes (American style, I mean).
              All that detail work must leave your arms and back cramped!

Originally posted by Zysu View Post
              This is old news to you guys, lol, but its my first time watching these episodes as a shipper...
              Just watched The Light, and loved that sweet moment at the beginning and Jack's awesome smile. Then the arguing on the beach. A bit of fun to see Sam speaking out like that, when usually she's all 'yes sir', as per rank.
              Also watched Entity. Ga, that piano music gets to me. V angsty shippy.
              Welcome, Probie!! So glad to have you!
              Entity is one of my all-time favorites.

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
              One day we should discuss only perceived plot holes becauseI swear I've seen plausible explanations for every one that exists except for Kowalski not knowing about Charlie and anything that changed/morphed from the movie. Oh, and, of course, Hathor/Egeria.
              What was the problem with Hathor and Egeria? They were two separate characters...
              sigpic
              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

SaraBahama, I think the problem with Hathor and Egeria is that they got away with the"date rape" of Daniel and Jack. And it wasn't even discussed.

Comment

SaraBahama, I think the problem with Hathor and Egeria is that they got away with the"date rape" of Daniel and Jack. And it wasn't even discussed.
                  Egeria, Goa'uld (the species) queen and founder of the Tok'ra, that Egeria, date raping Jack? Egeria was on Pangar spawning "stillborn" larvae for the Pangarans to process into Tretonin for half a century until SG-1 came across her in season 6's The Cure.

The only instance of Jack getting date raped was by Kynthia.
                  No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                  It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by iiradned View Post
                    Egeria, Goa'uld (the species) queen and founder of the Tok'ra, that Egeria, date raping Jack? Egeria was on Pangar birth "stillborn" larvae for the Pangarans to process into Tretonin for half a century until SG-1 came across her in season 6's The Cure.

The only instance of Jack getting date raped was by Kynthia.
                    Okay, slight SNAFU from a relative newbie. Ignore what I said!

Comment

...but Egeria was not involved in any date rape.

I was just wondering why Hathor and Egeria were being connected to each other. I thought maybe I missed something.

EDIT: LOL -I just saw your note, Sparky.
                      Last edited by SaraBahama; 08 November 2012, 07:41 PM. Reason: LOL
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                        I luv this episode "Hathor". I regret that the writers decided Egeria makes more sense (although, I suppose she does). But I liked the scene where Hathor explains that by a gou'ald queen inhabiting a female of the species they want to use as hosts, and having sex with a male of that species, that is where she "gets the life code" to make her children compatible with that species. And Daniel's almost snapping out of her aphrodisiac as he realizes she wants his DNA to produce more gou'alds. His shock after being forced to mate with her. And, of course, as you guys have mentioned the women being the heroes of the base.
                        I found what was confusing me! Ramona was talking about the method of reproduction in the queen Goa'uld.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          Did anyone else read the sign on Hanka? It appears that SG-7 has been in residence awhile. I’m drawing a blank on the ‘Douglas McLean Memorial Observatory’ referenced on the sign –can someone enlighten me? …I am unsure if Douglas McLean is significant to RL or the SGverse, and I’m just not making the connection.
                          According to the lexicon it was a cameo: the observatory was named for Doug McLean, Art Director.

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          I found what was confusing me! Ramona was talking about the method of reproduction in the queen Goa'uld.
                          To me these two methods are both acceptable and one does not exclude the other. Hathor was in a host and, wanting to make herself a new army, created human-compatible prim'ta (for the human-turned-Jaffa and presumably regular Jaffa later on to carry and take over human hosts) by getting a human male's DNA, Daniel in this case. Egeria (hostless) was forced to spawn prim'ta for the Pangarans to make their (flawed) tretonin from them, so she created genetically-flawed prim'ta in the hopes that the Pangarans would give up on experimenting on her.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Fantastic review, SaraB! Really enjoyed reading it; it's a favourite episode of mine. GW wouldn't let me green you, so... GREEN!
                            sigpic

Comment

Great review SaraB!

I liked the final scene, where Jack gets Cassie a dog and they are all hanging out in the park like a family.

Comment

I've always wondered what would have happened if Sam had adopted Cassie. She developed such a strong connection with her and it was sad to see her end up with someone else... I love and miss Janet though My mind always goes crazy thinking about the possibilities!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X