No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great review lt.col JS, agree it really isnt very shippy but i still think we are learning about the characters at this stage

I will watch in next day or so and add my own thoughts
    sigpic
    Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      I was also surprised Jack knew what scarlet fever was. I had no idea, had to translate and even then it only sounded vaguely familiar to me. Something I noticed on the two different wikipedia pages is that the English one made it sound very dangerous and that it affected mostly 3-8 year olds, while my page was saying it was very rare and affects 3-12 year olds. I also double-checked with other healthcare sites and they make it sound far less dramatic than the English wikipedia page and Jack did, and basically said it would pass after 7-10 days and if the kid was really affected then they could opt for antibiotics and some painkillers.

So, now I'm wondering if it really is such a big deal in the US and that anyone with a kid Rya'c/Charlie's age would recognize it, assuming that's why Jack knows of it. Anyone?

As for Daniel shooting the tank I thought it was really stupid. Not only will he have to explain the ammo he lost and why he didn't take the symbiotes with him after having destroyed the tank, but also why he let his emotions get the better of him and thereby endangered not only his life but that of his teammate (Sam) as well. Sam cautioned him about being as bad as the Goa'uld for shooting defenseless creatures but she should have told him it was a sure way to give away their position and that he'd be endangering the two of them. Probably the others as well, since their presence would lead to a thorough search and more security at the gate, meaning their only way of escape was blocked. But hey, at least Daniel felt a little better afterwards, right?
      Scarlet fever may be rare now, but I'm in my mid-50's and I remember parents and teachers talking of tragedies involving siblings and childhood friends. Jack is of an age - and I would guess his forays into third world countries would involve some instruction on how to recognize common diseases that are no longer considered serious in western civilization.

Wikipedia says:

Before the availability of antibiotics, scarlet fever was a major cause of death. It could also cause late complications such as glomerulonephritis and endocarditis leading to heart valve disease, all of which were protracted and often fatal afflictions at the time.
      sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
        Scarlet fever may be rare now, but I'm in my mid-50's and I remember parents and teachers talking of tragedies involving siblings and childhood friends. Jack is of an age - and I would guess his forays into third world countries would involve some instruction on how to recognize common diseases that are no longer considered serious in western civilization.

Wikipedia says:

Before the availability of antibiotics, scarlet fever was a major cause of death. It could also cause late complications such as glomerulonephritis and endocarditis leading to heart valve disease, all of which were protracted and often fatal afflictions at the time.
        Yes, I also read that on wikipedia but those other sources I looked into (in my native language and from medical/healthcare websites etc) all said it was very rare these days and doesn't even require antibiotics. You'll simply recover in 7-10 days and can function pretty much normally after you're no longer infectious (go to school etc), unless you have a 'severe' case that requires antibiotics and possibly some paracetamol or something. I do know, however, that some countries including the USA are very liberal with antibiotics, hence the need for new ones now that more and more people are becoming resistant to them after overuse and for things that your natural immune system can take care of on its own...

The complications you mentioned hardly ever occur these days (and would be discovered pretty quickly because of the additional symptoms and severity of the disease), so combined with the fact that scarlet fever itself is very rare, I find it strange they chose to use this disease in the show and make it sound like Rya'c was dying.

Not to mention that he would have only gotten it from close contact with someone who was still infectious, which seems odd considering they were living in a Jaffa rebel camp where almost everyone probably had a symbiote already except for the kids (who all only got in touch with each other and other Jaffa with a symbiote).

I do get that Jack might be able to recognize it after your arguments, but it just seems like a strange plot device to me. They could have chosen something more common and dangerous.
        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm trying to get Secret Santa together so PM me by Saturday, October 27 if you want to join in! All are invited and encouraged to participate. If you don't know what you could do just let me know and we'll figure something out I'm sure. I want everyone to share in the Sam/Jack holiday love!!!!

Comment

Great review JohnShep!

Comment

thanks for the reviews on my...review. first one i ever did. and my next one is Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                thanks for the reviews on my...review. first one i ever did. and my next one is Within the Serpent's Grasp.
                dont forget to sign up for your season 2 eps
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                  don't forget to sign up for your season 2 eps
                  i'll sign up for secrets.

Comment

Yes, I also read that on wikipedia but those other sources I looked into (in my native language and from medical/healthcare websites etc) all said it was very rare these days and doesn't even require antibiotics. You'll simply recover in 7-10 days and can function pretty much normally after you're no longer infectious (go to school etc), unless you have a 'severe' case that requires antibiotics and possibly some paracetamol or something. I do know, however, that some countries including the USA are very liberal with antibiotics, hence the need for new ones now that more and more people are becoming resistant to them after overuse and for things that your natural immune system can take care of on its own...

The complications you mentioned hardly ever occur these days (and would be discovered pretty quickly because of the additional symptoms and severity of the disease), so combined with the fact that scarlet fever itself is very rare, I find it strange they chose to use this disease in the show and make it sound like Rya'c was dying.

Not to mention that he would have only gotten it from close contact with someone who was still infectious, which seems odd considering they were living in a Jaffa rebel camp where almost everyone probably had a symbiote already except for the kids (who all only got in touch with each other and other Jaffa with a symbiote).

I do get that Jack might be able to recognize it after your arguments, but it just seems like a strange plot device to me. They could have chosen something more common and dangerous.
                    Just speculation but diseases seemed to be more virulent in the past. While the flu can be dangerous today, we don't have the epidemics of the kind that used to wipe out one-thirds of populations. We say "the flu" and don't even think of it in terms of it's original name - influenza. Documentaries I've seen indicate people DREADED the word. I would think of Chulak (and especially the refugee camp) as equivalent to a third world country and since as you mentioned, most have symbiotes so any child pre-symbiote would be especially susceptible to diseases that have not been dealt with the way we've managed to eradicate or at least lessen the severity of. Also, the fact that Ryac's implantation had been delayed may have caused a more severe reaction in Jaffa children as I assume they have no immune system (weird, never thought about how that wouldn't make sense before (that would only make sense if they were implanted immediately after birth or weaning), but for the sake of show canon...

As to why they picked this disease, maybe the writers had heard te same stories I did and wanted to pick something specific to Ryac's age but how serious would we, the audience, have taken chicken pox?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                      i'll sign up for secrets.
                      Okay your name is by that one, thanks
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                        Just speculation but diseases seemed to be more virulent in the past. While the flu can be dangerous today, we don't have the epidemics of the kind that used to wipe out one-thirds of populations. We say "the flu" and don't even think of it in terms of it's original name - influenza. Documentaries I've seen indicate people DREADED the word. I would think of Chulak (and especially the refugee camp) as equivalent to a third world country and since as you mentioned, most have symbiotes so any child pre-symbiote would be especially susceptible to diseases that have not been dealt with the way we've managed to eradicate or at least lessen the severity of. Also, the fact that Ryac's implantation had been delayed may have caused a more severe reaction in Jaffa children as I assume they have no immune system (weird, never thought about how that wouldn't make sense before (that would only make sense if they were implanted immediately after birth or weaning), but for the sake of show canon...

As to why they picked this disease, maybe the writers had heard te same stories I did and wanted to pick something specific to Ryac's age but how serious would we, the audience, have taken chicken pox?
                        Yes, I know that but I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense for something like scarlet fever to be going around the camp when all Rya'c (and other Jaffa kids) comes into contact with are other Jaffa who carry a symbiote and thus would most likely not be affected of infectious. Jaffa with a symbiote rely on them for an immune system but as far as we know Jaffa kids have their natural immune system until they reach the age of prata. So, there had to have been someone with scarlet fever (in the infectious stage) that came into close contact with Rya'c, but if there are only Jaffa around those camps (and for the most part the entire planet as far as we know, since villagers are unlikely to come into contact with human slaves) that's very unlikely.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I could take one or both of the Tok'ra episodes in season 2, SGSuzi.
                          sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Yes, I know that but I'm just saying it doesn't make much sense for something like scarlet fever to be going around the camp when all Rya'c (and other Jaffa kids) comes into contact with are other Jaffa who carry a symbiote and thus would most likely not be affected of infectious. Jaffa with a symbiote rely on them for an immune system but as far as we know Jaffa kids have their natural immune system until they reach the age of prata. So, there had to have been someone with scarlet fever (in the infectious stage) that came into close contact with Rya'c, but if there are only Jaffa around those camps (and for the most part the entire planet as far as we know, since villagers are unlikely to come into contact with human slaves) that's very unlikely.
                            Yeah, That's true. Hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
                              I could take one or both of the Tok'ra episodes in season 2, SGSuzi.
                              okay you have the double episode sparky
                              sigpic

Comment

Okay, good.
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X