Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
    Check out this fanfic's author's interpretation of the Moon Base!

Project Moonbase by a.loquita. This story is Rated M so I've listed author page. Story #57.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1184040/a-loquita
    You beat me to it! Hilarious story!

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
    Awesome guys Thanks so much for volunteering
    I think you've got your work cut out for you.... Time to plan S2 rewatch!
    Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
      well i just watched Continuum for the first time last night
      YAY to Suzi!!!

I watched it last year for the first time and blubbered like an idiot through the scene with Jack's death -TOTALLY had my own headcanon going on and was like: "They just got their shot at being together after so many years...practically newlyweds, and she just got back from Atlantis...IT'S NOT FAIR!"

...it was embarrassing. I'm so glad the family were out of the house.

wow, now that has some shippy connotations doesn't it, all the way through i was just thinking 'married couple'
      Same here (see the above embarrassing rant).

did we ever work out what the moonbase was Sam was talking about.
      Speculation only. I can't say I've given it much thought -RDA is known for improvising during filming.

I could tell by the look on her face that she wasn't very happy about jack inviting everyone out for dinner, i think she had other plans.....lol
      Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      I thought that look on her face was her way of telling him he was paying for lunch or dinner, since immediately after the look, he said something like "I'm paying" and everyone immediately accepted.
      This was one of the places my shippy glasses were firmly in place -He invites everybody out to lunch, and after a stern look from *cough*Mrs. O'Neill*cough* he offers to pay. So married.
      sigpic
      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
        Speculation only. I can't say I've given it much thought -RDA is known for improvising during filming.
        Except that it was Sam who made the reference to the moonbase.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Except that it was Sam who made the reference to the moonbase.
          oops!
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Summary
            Sam and Daniel wander in the mountains with an ex-goa'uld and lightning for a guide. Meanwhile Jack and Teal'c fight a scaley Darth Vader in a giant underground maze searching for a hall of mohair. In the end we don't yet get to meet our little grey buddy!

Favorite Scene
            Danieal destroys the hammer that could save Sha're in order to free Teal'c.

Favorite Lines
            The Hammer works. Do you know what this means?

It's the only way out of here, Daniel.

But what this thing can do for Sha're and Skaara…

Teal'c's here now.

:teal'c: And here I will remain. I was with those who took the ones you love.

No. You're part of this family now. We're not leaving you behind.

Generally
            I find this episode entertaining but fairly average. Of course it has important implications for the future because this is the first time we, mostly unwittingly, stumble upon the Asgard and get hints of Thor. We are a long way from that storyline reaching it's zenith, but you have to start somewhere.

Some of the things I liked about this episode:

Kendra is a great character. I really wish we would have seen her again. (So much more interesting as an ex-host than Vala imo.) I would have loved for Sam to interact with Kendra again after her experience with Jolinar. In this instance Sam is really impatient and unsympathetic. I don't much care for her attitude. Her experience with Jolinar certainly helps her gain greater empathy. I think meeting Kendra again and perhaps getting some sympathy and advice from her would have been great. (Go away bunnies, I don't have time for you right now!)

Jack and Teal'c fight Darth Vader! How cool is that?! Now we know he was in fact the first goa'uld! But I have to say, I'm with Jack when he later says that he thought Unas meant one. This unas ep I'm ok with. I even like it. But they could have definitely let this thread drop and I would not have complained.

Daniel's continued love and connection to Sha're is nice. I like how they remind us of Daniel's main motivation for going through the gate right now, and I think that shapes his character and decisions throughout the series, even long after she's gone.

Sam/Jack
            Really nothing at all. Sam is clearly upset when he and Teal'c go missing, but I think it's more of a holy hannah what the heck to I do now that I've lost my CO kind of reaction and not a shippy one.

I do love that Jack points out that they are all a family now. It's not shippy per se, but it's a glimpse into Jack's inner feelings about his team. He's becoming closer to them and sees them as his new family.

Rating
            Overall: 6 (solid)
            Ship: 4 (sub par) only because there's just nothing there.

(Complete rating scale found HERE.)

Comment

I'm way behind on my review/ratings/ficlets for season 1. I'll try and catch up this week.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                [center]SNIPPED

Favorite Scene
                Danieal destroys the hammer that could save Sha're in order to free Teal'c.

Generally
                I find this episode entertaining but fairly average. Of course it has important implications for the future because this is the first time we, mostly unwittingly, stumble upon the Asgard and get hints of Thor. We are a long way from that storyline reaching it's zenith, but you have to start somewhere.

Some of the things I liked about this episode:

Kendra is a great character. I really wish we would have seen her again. (So much more interesting as an ex-host than Vala imo.) I would have loved for Sam to interact with Kendra again after her experience with Jolinar. In this instance Sam is really impatient and unsympathetic. I don't much care for her attitude. Her experience with Jolinar certainly helps her gain greater empathy. I think meeting Kendra again and perhaps getting some sympathy and advice from her would have been great. (Go away bunnies, I don't have time for you right now!)

SNIPPED

)
                I think that in the early days, Sam had to suppress any sign of appearing weak so she felt she had to come off as "Soldier Sam"; also, Whenever Jack is not around, Sam's forceful/no nonsense personality comes to the forefront as she assumes command. And half her team is missing, Kendra seemed to be at best primitive and ignorantly lost; and at worst, possibly leading them farther away from the missing team.

I also find it interesting that while Daniel is the first to communicate with Thor, the bond/attachment Thor has is with O'Neill.
                sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                  I think that in the early days, Sam had to suppress any sign of appearing weak so she felt she had to come off as "Soldier Sam"; also, Whenever Jack is not around, Sam's forceful/no nonsense personality comes to the forefront as she assumes command. And half her team is missing, Kendra seemed to be at best primitive and ignorantly lost; and at worst, possibly leading them farther away from the missing team.

I also find it interesting that while Daniel is the first to communicate with Thor, the bond/attachment Thor has is with O'Neill.
                  I agree. I think also, Sam was not as comfortable with gate travel and very much on her guard against everything when she travelled through the stargate, which may have contributed to her shortness with Kendra. And like hlndcr said, there's no Jack there to be the soldier so that she can tap into her "otherside" Also, it IS a bit disconcerting to see someone whom you just met &barely know use a Gou'ald device.

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post

Originally posted by picardythirds View Post
                    I agree. I think also, Sam was not as comfortable with gate travel and very much on her guard against everything when she travelled through the stargate, which may have contributed to her shortness with Kendra. And like hlndcr said, there's no Jack there to be the soldier so that she can tap into her "otherside" Also, it IS a bit disconcerting to see someone whom you just met &barely know use a Gou'ald device.
                    I agree with this. Plus, Sam might have sensed the naquadah from Kendra (although this was not yet addressed until later on) so she could have had her doubts about Kendra being a Goa'uld no more.

It's been a long time since I've watched this episode and even when I do rewatch it, I tend to FF through those incredibly boring and annoying scenes with Kendra talking to the skies... however, what I do recall is that I was kind of annoyed here along with Sam in that Daniel didn't seem all that worried and very trusting towards Kendra. But most of all, like you've pointed out she had to take command after her CO (and Teal'c) went missing but Daniel isn't really treating her like she's in charge. It's almost as if they're friends (or even a couple) that go hiking together and can't agree about whether they're lost. He shows no respect for her position as Jack's 2IC.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                      I agree with this. Plus, Sam might have sensed the naquadah from Kendra (although this was not yet addressed until later on) so she could have had her doubts about Kendra being a Goa'uld no more.

It's been a long time since I've watched this episode and even when I do rewatch it, I tend to FF through those incredibly boring and annoying scenes with Kendra talking to the skies... however, what I do recall is that I was kind of annoyed here along with Sam in that Daniel didn't seem all that worried and very trusting towards Kendra. But most of all, like you've pointed out she had to take command after her CO (and Teal'c) went missing but Daniel isn't really treating her like she's in charge. It's almost as if they're friends (or even a couple) that go hiking together and can't agree about whether they're lost. He shows no respect for her position as Jack's 2IC.
                      The bolded part is very in keeping with Daniel's character though, especially in the early seasons. I mean, Daniel can barely follow *Jack's* orders, let alone anyone else's. I mean, does anyone remember "Need"? Early seasons Daniel bothered me for this very reason, before he starts to recognize the need for the military structure and trusts Jack and Sam to both issue orders that will help keep everyone alive.

I agree that later-Seasons Daniel was a little bit too military (in the sense that at times he's kind of like a GI Joe cardboard cutout) but early-seasons he was WAY too civilian. To the point he was a liability and really shouldn't have been in the field at all, and wouldn't have been if he hadn't been involved in the original Abydos mission and been pitied for the whole Sha're thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                        Sam couldn't sense naquadah at that time as this was before Jolinar. And that is my point. I think she would have had a much different reaction to Kendra if this had been after Jolinar. She also I think would have had more empathy toward Daniel and his overwhelming need to save Sha're--that is why he's going through the gate.

Personally, I think Daniel was just as invested in finding Jack and Teal'c both for their sakes and for what it could possibly mean for Sha're and Skaara. And his encouragement and care with Kendra is what actually suceeded in leading them to Jack and Teal'c. Sam was stuck in her own mind and her own little world. She was not seeing the bigger picture. Her impatience would have doomed Jack and Teal'c.

I understand that she was in distress here, and obviously still very green. She also doesn't show a lot of trust for other people's judgment. Clearly she's used to relying on herself. She didn't use Daniel's expertise and abilities to their fullest, something Jack is much better at, and that shows a lack of leadership and disrespect for her team. So I do still fault Sam and found her very annoying here. She learned, but she's not perfect.

And let me just clarify by saying I'm not only disagreeing with fems; I'm disagreeing with all of you.
                        Last edited by hlndncr; 15 October 2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Woops, got my timing (episode-wise) mixed up because of course Jolinar hasn't happened yet in the first season. I think it was the lack of an episode title in the review because I was confused at first about which episode it was about, then I realized it was about Thor's Hammer and Cimmeria etc... but I often confuse it with Thor's Chariot and forget we didn't see Thor show up yet in the first season but rather that second season episode.

But I still don't agree with your view of Daniel and Sam!
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            The bolded part is very in keeping with Daniel's character though, especially in the early seasons. I mean, Daniel can barely follow *Jack's* orders, let alone anyone else's. I mean, does anyone remember "Need"? Early seasons Daniel bothered me for this very reason, before he starts to recognize the need for the military structure and trusts Jack and Sam to both issue orders that will help keep everyone alive.

I agree that later-Seasons Daniel was a little bit too military (in the sense that at times he's kind of like a GI Joe cardboard cutout) but early-seasons he was WAY too civilian. To the point he was a liability and really shouldn't have been in the field at all, and wouldn't have been if he hadn't been involved in the original Abydos mission and been pitied for the whole Sha're thing.
                            IMO Daniel is not "too civilian" in fact he is the just the right amount civilian needed. The team (and the show) would be too military without him. Now, I love Jack, but he is sometimes too military and his thinking is too military as well. Daniel and his attitude is absolutely needed to bring opposition to Jack's approach in some situations. I think the two of them complete each other, both of them and both of their instincts are needed for best possible results..

Comment

Personally, Daniel was my least favorite character until the last two seasons. Maybe it's because I tend to side with Jack and Sam on just about everything. Like in Scorched Earth - I was like, "Blow 'im up! If he can't be bothered to respect chain of command then sucks to be him."

*blinks*

Er.

Anyway.

Early Sam, I think, felt like she had a lot to prove. The military is still heavily masculine and there can be a sense that you have to 'toughen' up to be 'one of the guys'. Plus, she has a great deal of respect for Jack and I know would want to make a good impression.

That's what makes Jack so amazing later on - he falls for her, just as her. He's amazed with who she is, just as she is, and he works to stay out her way and just let her be.

And now I'm rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                                Personally, Daniel was my least favorite character until the last two seasons. Maybe it's because I tend to side with Jack and Sam on just about everything. Like in Scorched Earth - I was like, "Blow 'im up! If he can't be bothered to respect chain of command then sucks to be him."

*blinks*

Er.

Anyway.
                                I'm in complete agreement with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X