Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
    Hey...welcome back! We will take any level of participation you are willing to give. I was concerned that the 'old guard' were gone, never to return.
    Nope, still here Most of us are around somewhere, and still loving the ship I think you just get to a point where you've discussed everything and squee'd over everything to the point where you have to step back for a bit. For me, S/J is now like a pair of really comfy old pyjamas that I love to pieces and couldn't ever let go of, even if my attention/enthusiasm is more drawn to shiny new things

I want you to be proud of the newbies: meredithe and others had the idea and organized this newest rewatch! It gives late comers to the franchise the opportunity to participate and share ideas and thoughts. I actually only watched the series in full in 2011 -only previously catching the occasional rerun of season 3 or 4.
    It's a great idea and fantastic to see it running again It's so good that new people are coming to SG1 all the time

I understand what you are saying about the clumsiness of the early seasons, but even though it's there, I tend to zone out to the actors and the crew and I see what they were intending. It seems like a very Pollyana way of looking at it, but the awkwardness fades into the background for me. I am glad they improved, and the subtlety was perfected -if it hadn't been, perhaps I would be less willing to look at the early seasons this way.

Even with the Broca kiss -I never saw it as TPTB having their two leads kiss and introducing the idea of sexual tension. Stuff I've read indicates that they didn't put too much thought into a S/J 'thing' until Solitudes. I just saw it as team members, under the influence of an alien virus, falling into a rather awkward situation. I saw the characters rather than the RL behind the scenes motivations.

The whole thing is new and shiny at this point and I was holding my breath to see what the next mission would be -what culture, planet, history would they encounter, and what aspect of the character would emerge and what would happen to deepen and broaden their interpersonal relationships in general. *realizes I'm gushing...stopping now. Awkwardly looks around.*
    This is all absolutely true Most series take a certain number of episodes or even a season or so to settle in, and are always somewhat rough around the edges at first. I don't really see it as a criticism, it's entirely to be expected, but it still does make me cringe on occasion

On the other point above, I think it's perfectly possible to reconcile the Broca Divide kiss as being a kind of floating the idea of the attraction with starting to see the ship really in Solitudes. Solitudes is I think where we start to see the ship proper emerge; as Ramona just said, the Broca Divide kiss is pure animal instinct, not emotional. Solitudes is where the emotional connection starts to come out
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
      Nope, still here Most of us are around somewhere, and still loving the ship I think you just get to a point where you've discussed everything and squee'd over everything to the point where you have to step back for a bit. For me, S/J is now like a pair of really comfy old pyjamas that I love to pieces and couldn't ever let go of, even if my attention/enthusiasm is more drawn to shiny new things
      This. I tend to ebb and flow LOL. I'll just lurk for a few months, pop in for a few months, and then go back to lurking. This is why it's taken me this long to get to the # of posts I have after six years (it dawned on me the other day that I'd been on here for SIX YEARS) I was like whoa. A lot has happened since then

Comment

On the other point above, I think it's perfectly possible to reconcile the Broca Divide kiss as being a kind of floating the idea of the attraction with starting to see the ship really in Solitudes. Solitudes is I think where we start to see the ship proper emerge; as Ramona just said, the Broca Divide kiss is pure animal instinct, not emotional. Solitudes is where the emotional connection starts to come out
        This. That's exactly how I see things with S/J at that early stage as well.
        sigpic
        Thank you to Ikorni for the sig

Jolinar's LJ - Currently reviewing all SG1 eps as part of the Shipper Rewatch, feel free to add me

Comment

I agree it was very definitely a animal instinct kiss. I think at this point they've taken notice of each other and find each other attractive but they haven't had the chance to really get to know each other or develop an emotion bond. That doesn't really develop until Solitudes... which you've all stated And we see that their emotions begin to get even deep as the series progresses. While it wasn't an emotional kiss/moment it's still a nice moment for us to see that in their most primitive they picked each other and of course it makes for great fanfics
          sigpic

Comment

Well said! I couldn't green you, so: GREEN!
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
              I agree it was very definitely a animal instinct kiss. I think at this point they've taken notice of each other and find each other attractive but they haven't had the chance to really get to know each other or develop an emotion bond. That doesn't really develop until Solitudes... which you've all stated And we see that their emotions begin to get even deep as the series progresses. While it wasn't an emotional kiss/moment it's still a nice moment for us to see that in their most primitive they picked each other and of course it makes for great fanfics
              I'm probably the only person that sees Solitudes as similar to Broca Divide but with the added respect that has developed between two oficers. I say similar to Broca because, of course, HAWT guy has HAWT girl lying against him for warmth - side arms are going to re-position themselves

That being said, Jack was still in mourning over the dissolution of his marriage to Sarah. If I recall, when Sam asked him how did he survive a harrowing experience/walk out of enemy territory in the desert - didn't he reply "Sarah". And as he lay dying, he called (mumbled) for "Sarah". (My son thought he said "Sam", but it was definitely "Sarah". Sam said "I'm here" to comfort him.

I'm running to duck now. I swear, I really do see ship everywhere, but just not in these early days other than a little flirtiness/attraction that single goodlooking people with chemistry would naturally have but are not expecting it to go anywhere.
              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post
                I'm probably the only person that sees Solitudes as similar to Broca Divide but with the added respect that has developed between two oficers. I say similar to Broca because, of course, HAWT guy has HAWT girl lying against him for warmth - side arms are going to re-position themselves

That being said, Jack was still in mourning over the dissolution of his marriage to Sarah. If I recall, when Sam asked him how did he survive a harrowing experience/walk out of enemy territory in the desert - didn't he reply "Sarah". And as he lay dying, he called (mumbled) for "Sarah". (My son thought he said "Sam", but it was definitely "Sarah". Sam said "I'm here" to comfort him.

I'm running to duck now. I swear, I really do see ship everywhere, but just not in these early days other than a little flirtiness/attraction that single goodlooking people with chemistry would naturally have but are not expecting it to go anywhere.
                See I think I would agree with this to a certain degree - during the events of Solitudes, I think it's just a case of respect and Sam trying to do the best she can by her CO who she respects (and which we've seen throughout the first season) but I think the deeper feelings come after those events when they realise what they did for each other (especially what Sam did for Jack) and also Sam realising just what she was willing to do for him. For me, I think this is the point where she really starts to think about how much he means to her. That may be a little garbled, hopefully someone will understand
                Cake - an AU tale of secrets, lies, intrigue and Jack's favourite thing.

Chapter 1

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Flower View Post
                  See I think I would agree with this to a certain degree - during the events of Solitudes, I think it's just a case of respect and Sam trying to do the best she can by her CO who she respects (and which we've seen throughout the first season) but I think the deeper feelings come after those events when they realise what they did for each other (especially what Sam did for Jack) and also Sam realising just what she was willing to do for him. For me, I think this is the point where she really starts to think about how much he means to her. That may be a little garbled, hopefully someone will understand
                  I agree. I don't think they've really had a chance for much more than the initial "zing" of attraction. Also, like RamonaThePest said, he's still dealing with the end of his marriage. Even in the worst case scenarios, it takes a year or more to deal with, let alone Sara having left him (while he was on a mission, no less).
                  Now, I'm not going to go off Sara-bashing, as I think it was just more than she can handle (understandably).
                  I think "Singularity" gave Jack a little scare, with Sam staying at the bottom of the shaft. And I think "Solitudes" shook Sam up, in terms of what she was willing to do for him. I also think (hopefully I'm not back-tracking on myself, but this is my thought lol) that part of the whole thing is when you go to work some place new, and you just kind of take in all the new people you're working with. And there's almost always that one person who attracts your attention.
                  I don't know, maybe it's just my warped thought process lol.

Comment

I think that's what makes their relationship great...it began as respect and commraderie and just kind of grew into something more. An unexpected development that they had to keep in check...

I love this ship.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I think that's what makes their relationship great...it began as respect and commraderie and just kind of grew into something more. An unexpected development that they had to keep in check...

I love this ship.
                      Agreed, on all of it

Comment

Sorry fellow shippers. I was supposed to have a review for First Commandment up tonight, but my internet went out. I've got it patched up temporarily, (McGyver would be proud of the bubblegum and paperclip job I'm using) but I have to pick up a part tomorrow to get it fixed permenantly. So no review tonight. Hopefully a review tomorrow if I can find what I need and get it all rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                          Sorry fellow shippers. I was supposed to have a review for First Commandment up tonight, but my internet went out. I've got it patched up temporarily, (McGyver would be proud of the bubblegum and paperclip job I'm using) but I have to pick up a part tomorrow to get it fixed permenantly. So no review tonight. Hopefully a review tomorrow if I can find what I need and get it all rebuilt.
                          No probs, hope you get it sorted.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest View Post

I can agree with this, certainly. I don't see the ship happening very much in season 1; in fact, there's a tenuous but flirty connection between them. Jack's still dealing I think, at this point. It could also be Sam's idea of duty (and wanting very much to prove herself still) that keeps her with him in Solitudes.
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Ikorni View Post
                              I can agree with this, certainly. I don't see the ship happening very much in season 1; in fact, there's a tenuous but flirty connection between them. Jack's still dealing I think, at this point. It could also be Sam's idea of duty (and wanting very much to prove herself still) that keeps her with him in Solitudes.
                              I don't think Sam would abandon even a complete stranger (i.e. Cassandra) so of course she wouldn't abandon her CO; especially when there was no place to go get help on the "ice planet".
                              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

I'm terribly biased, I know.

Yeah...sure, Janet...uh-huh -that seems logical. Not.
                                *sing-song* She thinks he's gorgeous...she wants to kiss him...she wants to hug him....

I love that line from Miss Congeniality too!
                                sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
                                https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Working...
                                X