• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are a few pieces of art created for Children of The Gods:

Banner made by JasminaGo

Banner made by Padme

Banner made by Jumble

Thanks for the review Suzi. I completely agree with you about watching the episode more then once. The more you watch this show the more moments you catch between Sam and Jack, and even the whole cast. They had such amazing chemistry from the very beginning. How many other shows can say that? I loved the moment where Sam came into the briefing room and she completely blew the guys away with her presence.

The first time I watched this episode I didn't understand half of the little references and connections between the original movie because I didn't watch that until after working my way through the series. I finally understand the Kleenex thing And it's amazing to see you similar Michael Shanks and James Spader look and act. Even their Daniel Jackson mannerisms (is that a word?) are the same.
    sigpic

Comment

The first time I saw this episode, I'd never seen the movie. In fact, this wasn't even the first episode I saw. I don't think I saw it until probably season 6 was airing on SciFi, because I only saw it in syndication until then. I didn't see the movie until even later than that.
      I've always liked the briefing room scene. And when I was watching it the other night, I realized that Jack is actually flirting with Sam! The long, slow drawl and the smirk...oh yeah!
      And I also noticed that Sam and Jack are sitting really close, at dinner with the Abydonians. I love all the partially hidden smiles they both do, throughout the episode. She definitely gets his sense of humor (Mr. Glass-is-half-empty lol).

Comment

Yeah rewatch!!

Great review Suzi! I have so much work I need to do tonight, but I'm tired; so I think I may just pop in my CotG dvd (have to decide which version) and then share a few of my thoughts.

Comment

the first time i saw this episode was right after i first start sg-1 season 3 on showtime. it aired during one of the little hiatus breaks between season 3 and 4 and i thought it was so cool.

i thought the briefing room scene was just plain cool.

Comment

Yes brendini i totally agree Jack is flirting with Sam right from the start, who wouldn't she is stunning and clever and kick ass too.
            I don't know all that much about military but I am guessing that women in officer positions are not as common as males and I guess it is always hard for women to be taken seriously in what I would think is very much a mans world (as i say i dont know the ratio of men to women in the military) I can imagine that Sam has had to really fight to get where she is today and there was no way she was going to fall at the first hurdle, of course we know this is not waht sam is really like once we get to know her and probably regrets what she said, but it got Jacks attention and then he's hooked in.

I think the flirtation goes the other way too, Sam is also in awe of Jack too, possibly for his reports of the first mission but she definatly looks up to him, and we see this throughout the first season i would say

I like how they sit together on Abydos, this does seem to set a precendent I think and whenever they are anywhere like this they do tend to be close, they also always go through the gate together as they have done since this episode
            sigpic
            Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Women are definitely in the minority across the board in the military and I'm sure that results in sexism (my father is ret. USAF, and I know he was concerned when I expressed interest in joining up because he had seen how some of the women were treated in certain venues. Ultimately I didn't join up, but we have some former military here on the board, and I have some friends that are enlisted).

Of course, Jack isn't taking umbrage to her being a woman. It's the scientist part he doesn't like That initial scene though is probably one of the most cringe-worthy moments in all SG history. Egads. Sam had such a chip on her shoulder in her attitude (and as she would reference in Moebius - WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?!).

What's amazing is the instant chemistry these two have. AT and RDA - they heat up a screen before they even know they're heating up a screen

Comment

This first episode is hilarious. The tie-ins to the film notwithstanding (Michael Shanks more James Spade-ier than James Spader, lol), a recent re-watch of this episode had my SG-1 newbie friends gesturing to Sam and Jack, asking "so when does *this* happen?"

But you know, I was watching the film for the first time since getting into SG-1, and I have to say, Ra puts all the other System Lords to shame. He's so... he's got a gravitas that screams "I am a god" without him having say as such. That lofty presence, the way he glides into a throne room...

The Abydonians had a lot of guts. It's a fact they did well to incorporate into the series.

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                  This first episode is hilarious. The tie-ins to the film notwithstanding (Michael Shanks more James Spade-ier than James Spader, lol), a recent re-watch of this episode had my SG-1 newbie friends gesturing to Sam and Jack, asking "so when does *this* happen?"

But you know, I was watching the film for the first time since getting into SG-1, and I have to say, Ra puts all the other
                  System Lords to shame. He's so... he's got a gravitas that screams "I am a god" without him having say as such. That lofty presence, the way he glides into a throne room...

The Abydonians had a lot of guts. It's a fact they did well to incorporate into the series.
                  yeah and we all know what happens to them in the sixth season. but i do agree Ra was one bad mother...goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Starry Night View Post
                    Good point. I actually haven't seen Continuum yet, so I didn't know about that.. And I guess Road Not Taken is from Atlantis? Although I've seen Atlantis, I watched it at such time it had been a long time since I had watched any sg-1 so I guess I just forgot about that.. (I'll watch Atlantis after I finish my sg-1 marathon.)

But yeah, I had forgotten about the alternative timeline in 2010... I guess my mind ad blocked it from my memory, although I saw it recently, but as I ad just started shipping, I wouldn't accept it... Anyway I think that is a timeline gone hortibly wrong anyway, so S&J not being together would be part of that "hortibly wrong" part...

In fact, what I forgot to say in my previous comment was that of course their being together in AUs goes to the ones where she's not in military, so they don't have the regs issue...
                    What I get from that HUGE JEALOUS SNIT Jack has at the cabin is that he and Sam were, at some point, in a relationship that didn't work out. His emphasis on even YOU didn't back me! says a lot has happened that isn't being said. The bitterness and the i don't have to CONCERN myself with anything more pressing than whether or not to get a dog! implies she had pulled him back into the CONCERNS of life and all the day-to-day things that living and having a relationship requires. He's angry that somehow he lost her and, as we know, Jack, he's thinking I could have stayed in my original misery. Instead, you showed me heaven and then snatched it away.So I consider that as an AU where they were together as well. Especially since, as others pointed out, she chose Jack in he end, which I think comes out of knowing he wants what's best for her and has what it takes to make it happen.

Originally posted by meredithe5 View Post
                    Here are a few pieces of art created for Children of The Gods:

Banner made by JasminaGo

Banner made by Padme

Banner made by Jumble

Thanks for the review Suzi. I completely agree with you about watching the episode more then once. The more you watch this show the more moments you catch between Sam and Jack, and even the whole cast. They had such amazing chemistry from the very beginning. How many other shows can say that? I loved the moment where Sam came into the briefing room and she completely blew the guys away with her presence.

The first time I watched this episode I didn't understand half of the little references and connections between the original movie because I didn't watch that until after working my way through the series. I finally understand the Kleenex thing And it's amazing to see you similar Michael Shanks and James Spader look and act. Even their Daniel Jackson mannerisms (is that a word?) are the same.
                    I love the push through the 'Gate. I don't know why, but it's a SQUEEEE moment for me. Maybe because (I think) that's the first time he touched her? (Even if it was in a roll-his-eyes-cause-she's-a-fresh-newbie type of way.)

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post

But you know, I was watching the film for the first time since getting into SG-1, and I have to say, Ra puts all the other System Lords to shame. He's so... he's got a gravitas that screams "I am a god" without him having say as such. That lofty presence, the way he glides into a throne room...

Yes, there's something about the way she laughs as he sputters the "moonshine" all over himself and her that bodes of things to come. It was still so new and uncomplicated as yet.
                    Last edited by RamonaThePest; 01 September 2012, 10:15 AM.
                    sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

Originally posted by RamonaThePest;13482583
                      [B
                      Yes, there's something about the way she laughs as he sputters the "moonshine" all over himself and her that bodes of things to come. It was still so new and uncomplicated as yet.[/B]
                      yes very uncomplicated at this point, I must admit that only now i know of the ship do i notice the ship in this episode, first time i watched it I wasn't reall aware, it crept up on me gradually, as I'm sure it did with Sam and Jack.

honestly (and dont laugh) when i first watched COTG, despite Amanda Tapping being in the main credits I thought she was going to be the token female who the lead character falls in love with then she gets killed!!!! I'm so glad that didnt happen (well the getting killed bit anyway)
                      sigpic

Comment

I just rewatched CotG. I really enjoy this episode. I think it is really well done as far as pilots go. You get a good transition from the movie to this new and expanded universe that will be in the show going forward. Like all pilots there are things they are trying out. Things they'll drop. Other things that will be added later. But for the most part it tells a good story that is interesting and engaging and introduces characters that you really want to get to know. They also do a really good job of interesting you in the next episode with Kawalsky coming right up to the camera at the end and flashing his eyes at us. Watchinng it tonight I was thinking it might have been really cool if Kawalsky/goa'uld would have stuck around for a while as a wolf in the fold.

My favorite scene has to be when Jack and Sam go through the stargate together for the first time. Jack's line: "Oh I adore you already Captain," just makes me squee everytime because I know how much he really will come to adore her.

The first time I saw this episode I knew there was going to be something between Sam and Jack, AT and RDA had chemistry between them and to spare, but I wasn't really focusing on the ship. I had no idea how much I would adore them by the time I finished watching the series. Now, it may be sad to say it, but I pretty much consider everything that happens up until Sam walks into the briefing room as boring filler.

I do think there are great moments between all the characters throughout the show. You can already sense the espirit de corps among them and it makes me want to go on this journey with them.

A couple of favorite little S/J moments I don't think anyone's mentioned yet would be when Sam challenges Jack to an arm wrestle. I guess I always wondered if they ever did.

Then I just love it when Jack tells Sam that Sha're was a given to Daniel as a gift. You just know he's saying it to get a rise out of her and she almost falls for it.

A great start to an amazing show and the beginning of a beautiful ship!!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your contributions to the rewatch x
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
                            yes very uncomplicated at this point, I must admit that only now i know of the ship do i notice the ship in this episode, first time i watched it I wasn't reall aware, it crept up on me gradually, as I'm sure it did with Sam and Jack.
                            Agreed. I didn't notice either. I just thought "ooo, she has spunk" and assumed Jack was being a typical male and flirting with her just because it was habit.

Haven't had time to actually rewatch yet but one of my favorite moments is the "moonshine" bit. They're still feeling each other out, getting each other's gage and it's interesting because they don't hold back, there's no shielded "we can't cross the line" dynamic here (because at this point, that wasn't a problem yet!) and I love that they're so free.

I quite like the word "uncomplicated" in describing them here

Comment

Children of the Gods is probably one of my favourite episodes - I like the seamless transition from movie to tv (I have a soft spot for the movie actually despite the comments of it being camp) and I actually rewatch it on my own from time to time.

My first impression was...right, so they have a better looking Jack O'Neill then (didn't even know about Macguyver then!) but when Sam came in, the plain chemistry/sexual tension (?!) and the partial-antagonism was hilarious. I loved the nuances the actors gave their characters: Jack being a lot more serious/raw/hard-arsed in the early seasons yet giving a broken smile when Kawalsky learnt of his son's death, Sam's wide-eyed wonder but already having the instinctive urge to yank Daniel away from danger in the prison, Teal'c perceived hopelessness when he thought he had nowhere to go, and Daniel's perfect James Spader imitation.

So much to like! It occurred to me how young they all looked too!
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Children of the Gods

Sam and Jack:
                                No one can deny the chemistry between them from the outset. Jack is distracted, thinking about a million things and stating his preferences to General Hammond ("I'd like to put my own team together..."), and in she walks. Crisp, fresh, professional -she's like a breath of fresh air as she breezes through the door. He stops -calculating a team member that is pushed on him against his wishes...a scientist, of all things (I'm sure at this point he's flashing back to the image of Daniel's very unmilitary thoughts and actions, and how this led them into trouble the last time).

Sam:
                                I know that the “reproductive organs” comment elicits a groan from fans, but I really love her spunk -Jack's giving her a little bit of a hard time, but Kawalski is really enjoying himself and Ferretti is getting a laugh or two at her expense. She does not back down; she seems to know that if she doesn't stand up for herself here, this team will not take her seriously.

Overall Opinion:
                                The filming is good and the concept is excellent, but overall the ep feels stilted and new. The acting is a bit forced at times. I’m not making a big issue of this –obviously I’m a fan! They become so much better over the years as they add layers of back-story to the characters and the actors come to “own” the roles.

Having said that: I love the conversation between Jack and Daniel at Jack's house -it's a little backstory-filling moment that is also heart-to-heart. I also love how the team of 3 is alreay caring for each other in the prison at Chulak.

Something new I noticed on this rewatch:
                                I had not heard them tell Sam about Sha’re being gifted to Daniel before. Her reaction, while interrupted by the priests of Chulak approaching on the path, was priceless.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X