Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is the official season 1 rewatch schedule:

31st August - Children of the Gods (SGSuzi)
    7th September - The Enemy Within (Meredithe5)
    14th September - Emancipation (SaraBahama)
    19th September - The Broca Divide (Brendini)
    24th September - The First Commandment (Hlndncr)
    29th September - Cold Lazarus (sueKay)
    4th October - The Nox (Meredithe5)
    9th October - Brief Candle (Hedwig)
    14th October - Thor's Hammer (Hlndncr)
    19th October - The Torment of Tantalus (Lucycat)
    24th October - Bloodlines (Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)
    29th October - Fire and Water (SGSuzi)
    3rd November - Hathor (Meredithe5)
    8th November - Singularity (SaraBahama)
    13th November - Cor-ai (Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)
    18th November - Enigma (Hlndncr)
    23rd November - Solitudes (SGSuzi)
    28th November - Tin Man (Brendini)
    3rd December - There But for the Grace of God (SGSuzi)
    8th December - Politics (Part 1 Meredithe5) Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 2 Lt. Colonel John Sheppard)

Hope to see you all there!!
    sigpic

Comment

Can't wait for the rewatch now

Glad you enjoyed season 9 finale, told you it was awesome even without any jack/sam
      sigpic
      Thanks to the wonderful Meredithe5 for the awesome sig

Comment

Originally posted by SGSuzi View Post
        Can't wait for the rewatch now

Glad you enjoyed season 9 finale, told you it was awesome even without any jack/sam
        I can't believe you're waiting to watch season 10!!! It's soooooooooo good!
        sigpic

Comment

I know I really want to watch it but we feel we need to catch up with Atlantis too
          sigpic

Comment

Which pilot is it going to be? The original or the awful director's cut?
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              My vote is for the original, for what it's worth Honestly, the only reason I ever even thought about the director's cut was because of RDA's commentary, but I've read the transcript of it (or some of it lol), and it just wasn't as fun as I thought it'd be. Maybe I missed the fun parts? lol

Comment

Mine is for the original as well, even though I only have the director's cut since the original isn't available anymore here.
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

We were planning on going with the original but if you only have the directors cut that's fine. We will be watching the longer version of Threads, but it'll be a long while before we get there!
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't realize there were two versions of the pilot. Why is the director's cut awful?
                    Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by amaradangeli View Post
                      I didn't realize there were two versions of the pilot. Why is the director's cut awful?
                      Because a lot of scenes have been cut and the ending has been altered (now it ends with Jack promising Daniel to get Skaara and Sha're back, without showing Kawalsky's glowing eyes) to make it more of a standalone movie rather than the pilot of a show.

The changes to the briefing room scenes are probably the worst, with a lot of the banter and Sam's soapbox speech being gone and the entire thing being a bit choppy now that there are parts missing. Plus Jack comes across as a bit of a chauvinistic pig by his "Oh, this has nothing to do with you being a woman. I like women."-line because it comes out of the blue without Sam's little speech.

The Macgyver references were removed as well and the scene in the cartouche chamber has different lines (AT and MS came back to redo their lines) and is now simplified. There are a few extra scenes, mostly ones about Teal'c where he explains more about the Goa'uld and his role when they're running back to the gate. That part was on damaged film or something and with the new technology they managed to repair it, something they were unable to do back then.

Also, they changed the sequence of the harem/implantation and SG-1 going to Chulak scenes. Now it does show more emotions on Teal'c's face when Sergeant Ketterings and Sha're are before Apophis, but it's just not right. Oh and they redid a part in the gateroom, in the beginning when Apophis and his men come through the gate; now it shows him barking orders to redial, since that was missing in the original and never really made sense since there wasn't a DHD. It's weird how Peter Williams doesn't seem to have aged a day in more than a decade!

And there's some other stuff. Most of it has been discussed/mentioned in other threads, though. This is just off the top of my head, I've only watched the new one once and it's been years since I last saw the pilot.
                      On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Thank you! I've apparently only seen the original then. And I really enjoyed it the way it was so I'm sort of happy about that!
                        Visit me all over the place! FFN | AO3 | My Website |Twitter |Tumblr

Comment

Because a lot of scenes have been cut and the ending has been altered (now it ends with Jack promising Daniel to get Skaara and Sha're back, without showing Kawalsky's glowing eyes) to make it more of a standalone movie rather than the pilot of a show.

The changes to the briefing room scenes are probably the worst, with a lot of the banter and Sam's soapbox speech being gone and the entire thing being a bit choppy now that there are parts missing. Plus Jack comes across as a bit of a chauvinistic pig by his "Oh, this has nothing to do with you being a woman. I like women."-line because it comes out of the blue without Sam's little speech.

The Macgyver references were removed as well and the scene in the cartouche chamber has different lines (AT and MS came back to redo their lines) and is now simplified. There are a few extra scenes, mostly ones about Teal'c where he explains more about the Goa'uld and his role when they're running back to the gate. That part was on damaged film or something and with the new technology they managed to repair it, something they were unable to do back then.

Also, they changed the sequence of the harem/implantation and SG-1 going to Chulak scenes. Now it does show more emotions on Teal'c's face when Sergeant Ketterings and Sha're are before Apophis, but it's just not right. Oh and they redid a part in the gateroom, in the beginning when Apophis and his men come through the gate; now it shows him barking orders to redial, since that was missing in the original and never really made sense since there wasn't a DHD. It's weird how Peter Williams doesn't seem to have aged a day in more than a decade!

And there's some other stuff. Most of it has been discussed/mentioned in other threads, though. This is just off the top of my head, I've only watched the new one once and it's been years since I last saw the pilot.
                          And change in The Final Cut is that they removed Sha're's full frontal nudity. Stargate was originally shown on the cable channel Showtime and for them the rules on nudity and like were a little looser than it is for regular broadcast TV.
                          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I'll be reviewing the original cut, never seen the directors and not sure I really want to after hearing the changes
                            sigpic

Comment

I much prefer the pacing, music, recoloring, formatting and general overall quality of the Special Edition release. But I agree that they did some damage to many of the great character moments, particularly between Sam and Jack. I do believe that as an overall product the new release is a much better film. I like to watch them both and take the best they both have to offer.

Comment

I've never seen the director's cut version
                                sigpic
                                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Working...
                                X