Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Happy Shipsgiving everyone!!
      No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
      It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Happy Shipsgiving!

To quote Tiny Tim: "God bless us, everyone!"... and in particular the folks at Stargate (including Martin Wood), for giving us years and years of shippy goodness!

Comment

It's the holiday season and the next shipper celebration is just around the corner.

Please Join Us for Shipmas!!!!

Art by Treknik.

Come share your Sam/Jack Fics, Vids, and Art
          Or just stop by to say hello and chat about our favorite couple!

And spread the word by using the official Shipmas Sig and Avi.

We'll see you at the party!

Comment

Watched Past and Present today (I am way behind on my re-watch!)

Great scene in Carter's lab when she tries to tell Jack Kira is Lanaya, but he doesn't want to hear it so he puts his hands on his ears and starts singing... then then there is touching! Also, Jack automatically picks up something from the table and you can see Sam looking a bit concerned that he was fiddling with one of her doohickeys!

Also great looks of silent communication between them throughout the ep. There is a look between Jack and Sam at the beginning when the young couple is bickering that I thought was cute (and shippy with my rose colored shippy glasses!)

I've also noticed how Daniel introduced SG-1 at the beginning as Major Carter, Jack O'neill and Teal'c. I think it's odd that he would use Sam's rank and not Jack's, as he is the CO. These people don't know Earth ranks, so it would come across that Carter's first name is Major. At the end of the episode, he introduced her as Sam. Just thought it was interesting (and I have no idea why I'm paying attention to that detail!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
              Watched Past and Present today (I am way behind on my re-watch!)

Great scene in Carter's lab when she tries to tell Jack Kira is Lanaya, but he doesn't want to hear it so he puts his hands on his ears and starts singing... then then there is touching! Also, Jack automatically picks up something from the table and you can see Sam looking a bit concerned that he was fiddling with one of her doohickeys!

Also great looks of silent communication between them throughout the ep. There is a look between Jack and Sam at the beginning when the young couple is bickering that I thought was cute (and shippy with my rose colored shippy glasses!)

I've also noticed how Daniel introduced SG-1 at the beginning as Major Carter, Jack O'neill and Teal'c. I think it's odd that he would use Sam's rank and not Jack's, as he is the CO. These people don't know Earth ranks, so it would come across that Carter's first name is Major. At the end of the episode, he introduced her as Sam. Just thought it was interesting (and I have no idea why I'm paying attention to that detail!)

That is interesting. I would think that he might have though he was doing her a favor in giving her instant status by introducing her that way, but who knows? That is an interesting tidbit.
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Less than a week until the best holiday party around . . .

Shipmas!!!

Coming this Saturday!
                Don't miss it!

Comment

Merry Shipmas!!!!

The party is at the Sam/Jack Shipmas Thread for the next 24 hours.

We'll see you all there!

Comment

For those interested . . .

You are Invited . . .

by the amazing and talented XFChemist

Sig and Avi to use and share.
                    Spoiler:

Comment

There hasn't been much discussed here lately! Does anyone want to start a topic?

Comment

I had tried to provoke continued discussion of the eps for the rewatch, but I didn't have any takers. Anyone?

The upcoming week's rewatch eps are:

Prometheus
                        Unnatural Selection
                        Sight Unseen
                        Smoke & Mirrors
                        Paradise Lost
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                          I had tried to provoke continued discussion of the eps for the rewatch, but I didn't have any takers. Anyone?

The upcoming week's rewatch eps are:

Prometheus
                          Unnatural Selection
                          Sight Unseen
                          Smoke & Mirrors
                          Paradise Lost
                          Were you wanting to discuss each episode for the sake of the episode or discuss shippiness or both?

Comment

Most people were posting their general comments on the individual episode threads, but as shippy comments are not always greeted well, this was supposed to be our safe place to share shippy observations.

...but I'm personally ok with both.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                              Apologies, this is really late but here it is at last!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Majikthize/SG1%20Art/Frozen-Rewatch-Banner.jpg
                              Banner by me!

Synopsis

Byers - who is obviously on some kind of undercover reporter mission from The Lone Gunman - is hanging out in the Antarctic with a bunch of scientists who have been unsuccessfully looking for interesting things at the site where Sam and Jack got stranded all those years ago. Just as they are about to give up hope of finding anything interesting they manage to uncover a woman frozen in the ice. SG-1 decide to mosey on down for a look bringing back beautiful memories of snuggling and sidearms for Jack and Sam. For reasons which will become plot drivenly obvious fairly quickly, Dr Fraiser decides to join them. The woman turns out not only to be alive but Colonel Young’s future wife... and she’s an ancient; you might imagine she would have mentioned this to Young what with him now being stranded billions of light years away on an ancient ship and all that but...um, I guess that would make SGU a rather short series.

A snowstorm descends on the base, effectively trapping them. Nobody starts spouting legs out of their heads and having dogs barking at them for being all wiggy and alienlike while Kurt Russell sulks broodily in the background. Nor do Mulder or Scully arrive to rescue Byers or do incredibly hot things to each other in storage closets. Instead Jonas starts a kind of pseudo relationship with the first of many alien babes (and bless him, he has even less luck with alien girlfriends than Sam does with alien boyfriends). Meanwhile Doctor Michaels is taken very ill and Doctor Woods gets lost in the snowstorm and is brought back into the base effectively minutes from death. Well that is until Aiyana The Ancient heals him completely. The rest of the group quickly realise how very handy that is and she’s enlisted to heal Michaels too. As each of the rest of the group succumb to the mystery illness they begin to realise the virus is caused by Aiyana who was a carrier. Wasn’t it convenient Doctor Fraiser just happened to tag along huh! Aiyana realises she’s the cause of their illness and sets about healing them all. This takes a lot out of her and she manages to heal everyone but upon seeing how overwhelmingly hot Jack is here, she passes out through thunk overdose and is then too weak to heal him too.

They are all rescued from the base after the storm has passed and all but Jack and Aiyana are well. By this point Aiyana is succumbing to the virus herself and has no strength to heal herself. She dies shortly after getting back to the SGC who are seeking help from the Tok’ra to heal Jack. They offer him a symbiote which Sam manages to persuade him to accept – ah such is the power of a plea from the woman you love! Jack you're such a sucker.

Review

You know the reason I wanted to review this one is because, as a massive X Files fan the chance to comment about the actor who played Byers was too good an opportunity to pass up. It has nothing to do with the fact it’s such a significant episode for Jack in terms of character development or, in fact, for Jonas in terms of his integration into the team. Or nothing whatsoever to do with that surprisingly shippy moment right at the end.

It’s quite easy to dismiss this episode as a bit of a filler but, frankly I think it’s a smashing little gem of an episode. It’s so different from the normal beat-the-bad-guys fare and it sets up so many things and updates stuff that will become relevant later on – for instance finding out they have and still are researching in the Antarctic on the spot the second gate was found, developing stuff that eventually becomes back story for the ancients. And, of course, there’s a massive impact of Jack because of the events here that have repercussions for several more episodes, if not a good deal longer. In hindsight I have often wondered whether leaving Jack until last to heal (and subsequently running out of the ability to do so) was a deliberate thing by Aiyana because of the ancient gene we later find out he has? I don’t know if it is relevant but something that occurred to me could be.

I do really think this is where Jonas comes into his own since a large chunk of Aiyana’s interaction is left down to Jonas. Considering that this is only his second full mission as part of SG-1 that’s pretty significant. Even this early on it feels like he totally belongs there (and I’ll admit I was one who was quite disappointed that he only lasted one season and I’d have been happy to see him stay and Daniel Jackson not to return in a full time capacity but that’s by the by).

There’s so many great little scenes in this episode. The one right at the start when we see Doctor Michaels talking to someone on a monitor and then we pan over to the monitor to see it’s Sam and then, suddenly we’re looking at Michaels on Sam’s monitor and then we pan across to her in the flesh. I love that scene and the way it is put together. Ah Martin Wood, you are the God of directing! There’s actually quite a lot of stuff shown through monitors in this episode which is not an often used device on SG-1 so it does help give the episode a unique and slightly claustrophobic feel.

I also love the Doctor – Major-Doctor exchange at the start when they are all introducing each other. Just makes me giggle when Jack tells them to cut it out!

And I guess I probably ought to mention that scene at the end. You know the one with Jack on his death bed and Sam begging him to take a symbiote to survive. Did Jack agree to do so for the greater good (i.e. to help the Tok’ra obtain their information) or did he do it because Sam practically begged him to? Jack could never turn Sam down when she says “Sir, please” in that way. To me, I’ve always believed Jack did it for Sam – if nothing else you have a massive musical cue that this is the intent as the Sam/Jack angsty theme cuts through as she’s asking and he relents and agrees. I’m pretty sure the Tok’ra would have found another host fairly quickly (or found a way to obtain the information by other means) and I’m pretty certain Jack would have been aware of that. Jack – who has no love at all for symbiotes and not much reason to do any favours for even the Tok’ra – could easily have refused had this been anyone else asking.

The really interesting thing about it is that scene comes as a complete surprise. While it’s true that it’s Sam who is the one looking out for his interests once they get back to the SGC (she’s the one who insists it should be his choice) there’s nothing particularly overt throughout the episode and, actually, not really much interaction between them at all before this. So that last seven or eight minutes there do come as a nice surprise and then the final chock-full-o-angstship scene there is delightful and very squee worthy!

Implications For Sam & Jack

Directly in this episode, only more of the back to the closeness they have recently been experiencing. And yet another example about how easily Sam can get Jack to do something when she really wants it. Ongoing there are implications from this that echo through the next few episodes at least and then, onwards through the series but they are issues to discuss after those ongoing events.
                              I went back and stole this post from page 141 of the thread, because we've recently rewatched 'Frozen' and I find it delightful. It's an easy ep to overlook -the theme is very different, and I don't think they clearly made the connection between the woman frozen in the ice and the Ancients (I suppose this was still a subplot under construction).

I love the ending -Cag made an excellent point that the early part of the ep showed little interaction between the two, but at the end is almost nothing but them.

The way they take Jack away in the isolation pod always strikes me like pallbearers carrying a coffin.

May I say again...it's amazing the power of Sam's "Please" over him. He's willing to get snaked, just because she asked (and he just got done saying "over my dead body").
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I am sooooo behind on the re-watch! Today I watched season 3 Proving Ground, and there was nothing shippy in that ep!

Yesterday was Shades of Grey... oh the shippy angst!!

Comment

Working...
                                X