No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWESOME Shipper eppy. Even holding hands it's so obvious how much Sam cares about Jack...and WAY more than an officer would care for a CO.
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

I noticed the hand holding as well. Very nice episode it was
      sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Just dropping by to say...

Love to all.

Comment

Message in a Bottle:

*watches dipso's vid clip (above), & hlndncr's banner, and momentarily loses focus...mmm...holding hands...*

Thanks dipso!

Hlndncr -that is one of my favorite banners of yours!

I replayed that scene 2 or 3 times -what I absolutely love is that Jack rubs a thumb across her knuckles to let her know he's coherent, and she squeezes his hand so tightly.

The look of pain on her face when she can't find a pulse...especially since she was the one who suggested the course of action...it makes your heart drop.

This is still so early in the ship, that it makes you wonder if Sam has fully confronted her own growing feelings for her CO (as hlndncr has already mentioned). Denial is not just a river in Egypt, as they say.

I don't doubt she has them -I think the fact that she 'chose' Jack in 'The Broca Divide' (when IMO if it was strictly a primitive instinct to choose the strongest male, or the leader of the pack, for breeding/protection, then Teal'c or even Hammond would have been a more logical choice than Jack) revealed that the feelings were there all the way back to the beginning of Season 1.

I've mentioned it before, but the slow, intricate way the ship is played out is probably why it fascinates me so much.
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
              Hlndncr -that is one of my favorite banners of yours!
              Thanks. That's because Amanda's so pretty.

Family

Not a favorite because I really don't like the way Teal'c behaves in this one. And not really any good ship to make it worth watching.

There is this one look between Sam and Jack when Fro'tak says to Teal'c: "I would hope you never loose your trust in me." And then they promptly betray one another -- aw, friendship.

But focusing on the look, I'm not sure I can decipher exactly what it means. I will say that these two have the ability to have whole conversations in a single, brief glance. So perhaps it goes something like this:

*Jack turns and catches Sam's eye*

Do you really think these two can make nice and be friends?

We'll see. If not, this could all get ugly very fast.

At least I know who I can trust when that happens.

Same here.

*end glance*

Comment

I loved that glance also...the general feeling is that their unspoken communication is working just fine, even if WE don't know exactly what's being said.

Another layer to this story that kept occuring to me was what Jack was thinking and feeling for Teal'c during the whole episode -because Jack lost Charlie, and then he lost Sarah. In the early to mid-ep Teal'c has lost Ry'ac (if temporarily) to abduction, and lost his wife to another man. This has to hit a little close to home for him.

Overall not very shippy, I agree, but I think this was intended to be more of a Teal'c-focused episode...*rubs hands together* but up next is 'Secrets'!!
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

now would secrets be a Team-Centered Episode?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    now would secrets be a Team-Centered Episode?
                    I think it could be. Although they are largely seperated into pairs, they work together in the pairs in a very teamy way.

I agree with a lot of what's been said, especially about S/J in Message in a Bottle.

In general as I watch these episodes I think it is interesting to see how young and largly inexperienced everyone is in comparison to the later seasons. Sam hasn't yet learned to be the Colonel who commands the Hammond or even the one that lead sg1 in season 8, nor is Jack ready to be the General at the sgc or the Pentagon. And I think that while the attraction and stuff has already begun, neither is really in a place to have the kind of relationshio I think that they have now. Dare I say it, but the years of build up to their relationship, though agonizing for us and S/J, probably account for their really solid foundation today.

Another layer to this story that kept occuring to me was what Jack was thinking and feeling for Teal'c during the whole episode -because Jack lost Charlie, and then he lost Sarah. In the early to mid-ep Teal'c has lost Ry'ac (if temporarily) to abduction, and lost his wife to another man. This has to hit a little close to home for him.
                    Cool point and nice bond for Jack and T. In my rewatch of things from the begining the importance of this relationship is so clear. If Sam/Jack is the romance of the series, Jack and Teal'c's relationship is the unsung bromance. Jack and Daniel are too, but I find that Jack and Teal'c's bond is much more pivitol than I remember. I mean their first interaction, and trust chages the course of the universe's history.

Granted I was between the ages of 10-12 when I first saw these early S1/S2 eps as they aired, out of order I think, in syndication. Back then S/J development and underlying character interaction were far from my mind...I really don't revisit them often either.

Now though I see stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Conn8d View Post
                      Granted I was between the ages of 10-12 when I first saw these early S1/S2 eps as they aired, out of order I think, in syndication. Back then S/J development and underlying character interaction were far from my mind...I really don't revisit them often either.

Now though I see stuff.
                      I had something similar happen to me...I too first watched Stargate when I was 9-10 yrs old, and for years later I used to quote it without even realizing it. the phrase "if at first you don't succeed, try again" is well known, but whenever i said it (even in my head) i would say "if at first you don't succeed, try,try try, try, try again.." I knew it sounded familiar, but i could never put my finger on where its from and only after re-watching episodes not long ago did i realize I've been quoting Jack from Windows of opportunity all these years....

just shows how much that episode stuck with me through the years...

and of course re-watching stargate also got me noticing Sam and Jack and their beautiful yet complicated relationship *sigh*, things that i never took notice of as a child.
                      "…you know what they say. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again."

"Because I care about her....a lot more than I'm supposed to..."

Comment

Originally posted by Conn8d View Post
                        GrantedI was between the ages of 10-12 when I first saw these early S1/S2 eps as they aired, out of order I think, in syndication. Back then S/J development and underlying character interaction were far from my mind...I really don't revisit them often either.

Now though I see stuff.
                        Originally posted by freckles2185 View Post
                        I had something similar happen to me...I too first watched Stargate when I was 9-10 yrs old, and for years later I used to quote it without even realizing it. the phrase "if at first you don't succeed, try again" is well known, but whenever i said it (even in my head) i would say "if at first you don't succeed, try,try try, try, try again.." I knew it sounded familiar, but i could never put my finger on where its from and only after re-watching episodes not long ago did i realize I've been quoting Jack from Windows of opportunity all these years....

just shows how much that episode stuck with me through the years...

and of course re-watching stargate also got me noticing Sam and Jack and their beautiful yet complicated relationship *sigh*, things that i never took notice of as a child.
                        I'm in the same boat that you guys were, especially when i came into at the beginning of Season 3. i thought Jack O'Neill was so cool. you know it's funny, i started using "For crying out loud" a lot more during high school. and "Ya think."

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                          I'm in the same boat that you guys were, especially when i came into at the beginning of Season 3. i thought Jack O'Neill was so cool. you know it's funny, i started using "For crying out loud" a lot more during high school. and "Ya think."
                          We should all write to Richard Dean Anderson and tell him how he influenced as kiddo's all those years ago...I think he'll be proud of us, don't you think?
                          "…you know what they say. If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again."

"Because I care about her....a lot more than I'm supposed to..."

Comment

All you kids are making me feel old.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                              All you kids are making me feel old.
                              Hehe Me too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Secrets

This is definitely among my favorite episodes. I love meeting Jacob and seeing his relationship with Sam pre-Selmak, and the beginnings of his often tense relationship with Jack.

At the briefing Jack makes Sam smile by suggesting they blow off the President and go to Abydos "with the boys." It is Jack at his cutest and Sam (like the rest of us) is thoroughly charmed.

Walking together to the reception in DC Sam and Jack are so comfortable. Then there's the easy banter as they walk into the reception. But the tension is about to ratchet up several notches when Sam realizes the general chatting with Hammond is her dad.

My favorite scene in this episode is of course when Jack meets Dad. It's so funny because this is Sam's boss, but Jacob acts like he's meeting her first boyfriend. They size each other up like prize fighters circling each other in the ring. Jack attempts a charming comment and Jacob throws back a sharp jab of sarcasm. But Jack is not phased. He holds his own, even if he does end up making a hasty retreat.

Meanwhile, Sam is uncomfortable and a little flumoxed. For sure Jacob notices the little glances and smiles that pass between her and Jack.

I can't help comparing this meeting to the infinitely more uncomfortable meeting between Jacob and . Jacob may have been skeptical of Jack, but I think he still respected him. I don't think Jacob walked away from meeting with nearly as favorable an impression. And as time goes on I think Jack and Jacob become genuinely fond of one another, to the point that Jacob essentially encourages Sam to choose Jack, despite the obvious obstacles, on his deathbed.

How different that final request to Sam for her to be happy is from the one we see here. Jacob's attempt to get Sam into NASA seems to be, at least in part, an act of his own ego. It's as if what she is doing (despite receiving a medal from the President) just isn't good enough for his daughter. And Sam seems to feel so much pressure to please her dad that if it weren't the SGC and everything she ever truly dreamed of she might have just given in and gave her dad what he wanted. I really feel for Sam as her father dumps the bad news on her and then walks away.

When we see her again with her team on Abydos you can see that she is so much more comfortable. She and Jack work together perfectly.

Both she and Daniel have a terrible week. When Jack asks Daniel if he's going to be alright he says that he will be. Both he and Sam know that they have their team, their family, to help them get through it.

Comment

Working...
                                X