Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
    That would be awesome! Didn't know if he (Walter) left the SGC or not.
    Walter was in some of the same episodes of SGU that Jack was in at Homeworld Security. So it would seem he went to Washington after Season 10 and is now working with Jack.

Comment

Sorry to jump in the middle of a discussion and change the subject, but I've a question. In the SGU era, does Jack's secretary/aide de camp/whoever have a name? I'm working on a round robin and would like to add that little detail if it's available.
      In my little world, he has a secretary, and her name is Glinda. But that's not canon by any means.
      sigpic
      My Stories: FFdotNet
      My Stories AO3
      Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
        In my little world, he has a secretary, and her name is Glinda. But that's not canon by any means.
        And I love Glinda! When are you writing more of her?
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

And I love Glinda! When are you writing more of her?
          I've got a story halfway completed, I just haven't found the time to finish it.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Hi, there! Another Newb popping in!

I noticed you guys are doing a re-watch and then commenting on the episodes. Which episode is next?
            "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Regarding the alcoholism comment and Jack, I also recall hearing this but never reconciling it with a particular episode and so had always attributed it to a random comment in the original movie (but not having watched this in a while, I cannot recall why). I remember it being something to do with Jack turning to drink after Charlie died. However maybe this is all just fanon and my mind has melded the two And then, yes, it never sits with the fact that he drinks beer on a (normal) regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam-n-Jack-in-<3 View Post
                Hi, there! Another Newb popping in!

I noticed you guys are doing a re-watch and then commenting on the episodes. Which episode is next?
                Hi, and welcome. This week(up to Sunday) is season 2 episodes 1-5. next week is going to be 6-10 I suppose
                sigpic

Comment

Rewatch Schedule

Message in a Bottle is today.

Next week:

Monday: Family
                  Tuesday: Secrets
                  Wednesday: Bane
                  Thursday: The Tok'ra 1
                  Friday: The Tok'ra 2

All are welcome to comment on or discuss any episode or issue at any time. It's all about enjoying the ship.

Comment

OK thanks!

Now I'll just have to ask my Dad if I can start borrowing his Stargate discs...
                    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
                      I was reading the Gateworld synopsis which summarized the character development for O'Neill (or character revelations rather) that he'd clearly dealt with an addiction in the past. I googled the transcript and the only line I could see that they pulled it from was: Now I know he made a reference later in Divide and Conquer...
                      GW throws out "alcoholism", but I was thinking to be strapped down, drugged up...
                      I'm kinda curious now. Thoughts?
                      Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I thought it might be related to Jack's imprisonment in Iraq or his parachute accident. I figured he became addicted to pain meds during his recovery. It's certainly been known to happen.
                      I always took it to be the strong pain meds after the parachute incident as well.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                      "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                        Need
                        Not a favorite. For one thing, where's the ship?!
                        I did notice that Sam was trying to reassure Jack that he made the right decision going back for Daniel and letting Shyla take him after their failed escape attempt. Sam recognizes that Jack would be worried for Daniel and beating himself up over things going so wrong. It's sweet that she wants to comfort him even if he doesn't seem to be in the mood for it at that moment.

I agree that it was not very shippy. There is that one stinging remark that Daniel slaps Sam with:

CARTER: She used us to get you addicted.
                        [Daniel slams down his fist in a rage and knocks over some bottles.]
                        DANIEL: You’ve never really known what love is have you?
                        CARTER: See, the Daniel I know would never have said that.

Does Daniel know or suspect that Sam has a sore spot and is deliberately twisting the knife? Is he randomly lashing out and is clueless to S/J implications, but she feels the pain anyway? Is it too soon in the ship for these thoughts of mine to be relevant?

We did get to see the 'family' of the team at work. It was gut-wrenching that Daniel could allow his friends to suffer in the mines when he had the power to stop it (presumably the only thing that kept him from doing so was his addiction). This ep and later 'Absolute Power' are both a kind of loss of innocence for Daniel's character -which is difficult to watch.

Of course...one could write a fanfic focusing on the S/J interaction in the mines...
                        Last edited by jasminaGo; 10 September 2011, 04:14 AM. Reason: removing IMG tags
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                        "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

ummm...and hlndncr...I wanted to compliment you on the sig banner ^^, which is why I left it in the quote...and then I promptly forgot (sorry).

It's beautifully done and makes my heart swell...
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

::Wanders in::

Well, in The Devil You Know, after he comes back from his session with Apophis, he said they gave him something that "reminded me of the 70's". Sounds like a reference to a little recreational activity to me. He has a Viet Nam service medal, and drug abuse was common among soldiers over there. So not out of the realm of possibility that was when he developed a habit.

banlu

::wanders out::
                            sigpic
                            It failed to qualify as a cave, technically speaking, but Jack called it one anyway.
                            He'd never been one for speaking technically.

Jaunt to Paradise - Spiletta42

Comment

Originally posted by banlu View Post
                              ::Wanders in::

Well, in The Devil You Know, after he comes back from his session with Apophis, he said they gave him something that "reminded me of the 70's". Sounds like a reference to a little recreational activity to me. He has a Viet Nam service medal, and drug abuse was common among soldiers over there. So not out of the realm of possibility that was when he developed a habit.

banlu

::wanders out::
                              I don't see Jack developing a serious drug habit, maybe some recreational experimentation just to see what it was all about.

The career path I see for Jack is after a tour of duty in Vietnam (perhaps as a combat controller) he got noticed by the powers that control black ops missions. And during his indoctrination to black ops was given various substances to give Jack some familiarity to said substances and help develop countermeasures. (Sam did say Jack was trained to resist chemical interrogation.) From there Jack went on various black ops missions like the one detailed in The Gamekeeper. Had his parachute failure, gotten tortured somewhere in the Middle East sandbox.

Also, since he was given a nuclear weapon in the movie, Jack may have done some time in a N.E.S.T. unit.

I also don't see Jack as having a personality that is vulnerable to develop addictions. Except of course to .
                              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Message in a Bottle

Finally, the ship dearth has ended, temporarily.

Love the opening scene with the team in space suits. When Sam says that the orb has been active since neandrethal times and Jack says, "Ah, that takes me back," you know he's thinking of his own little primative incident involving a certain sweet little tank top number. And Sam smiles back. Totally on the same page if you ask me.

When Jack gets skewered by the orb Sam runs to him and grabs his hands. It's like she's holding on to him for dear life. She's so reluctant to let go when General Hammond orders them out of the gateroom. And she's so distressed when Teal'c starts shooting it and the energy is going through Jack.

The whole time Sam's concern for Jack is so evident. Even when Hammond wants her to make a realistic assessment of their chances of beating this thing she refers to Jack. "You know what the Colonel always says . . . ." He's so obviously on her mind and I think she's really shaken.

Then we have the moment when she realizes that they are going to have to let the alien organism take over the Colonel and he might not survive it. The way she holds his hand so tenderly and he squeeze her hand in assent. He trusts her completely. And she is almost dumbstruck when it looks like she's killed him.

And finally the last scene on the ramp. She finally gets permission from the General to leave the control room and she runs to him. She puts her hand on his knee and speaks with such relief that he's not "gone for good." Then she helps him up and doesn't let go, placing her arm around him as they walk down the ramp.

I love this episode because see the bond the whole team has with Jack. They all love him and want to save him. And I think all of their emotions are a little more open than usual. But I get a taste of Sam's deeper feelings for Jack, that she's been hiding from even herself I think, when she's confronted with loosing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X