Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need

Not a favorite. For one thing, where's the ship?!

I did notice that Sam was trying to reassure Jack that he made the right decision going back for Daniel and letting Shyla take him after their failed escape attempt. Sam recognizes that Jack would be worried for Daniel and beating himself up over things going so wrong. It's sweet that she wants to comfort him even if he doesn't seem to be in the mood for it at that moment.

Comment

I was reading the Gateworld synopsis which summarized the character development for O'Neill (or character revelations rather) that he'd clearly dealt with an addiction in the past. I googled the transcript and the only line I could see that they pulled it from was:

Originally posted by Jack O'Neill
      Daniel! God…What are you going to do, Daniel? Do you want to kill me? Oh God, look at you. I know what this is. I know what it's like. You can get through it…
      Now I know he made a reference later in Divide and Conquer...

Originally posted by Jack O'Neill
      Hey, I've done the drugged out-strapped to the bed thing.
      GW throws out "alcoholism", but I was thinking to be strapped down, drugged up...

I'm kinda curious now. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post
        I was reading the Gateworld synopsis which summarized the character development for O'Neill (or character revelations rather) that he'd clearly dealt with an addiction in the past. I googled the transcript and the only line I could see that they pulled it from was:

GW throws out "alcoholism", but I was thinking to be strapped down, drugged up...

I thought it might be related to Jack's imprisonment in Iraq or his parachute accident. I figured he became addicted to pain meds during his recovery. It's certainly been known to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nynaeve506 View Post

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          I thought it might be related to Jack's imprisonment in Iraq or his parachute accident. I figured he became addicted to pain meds during his recovery. It's certainly been known to happen.

[img]http://signavatar.com/7792_s.gif[/]
          I've always thought that it might have something to do with his imprisonment, too. That particular experience seems to have been something of a turn point in his life. It might also reckon back to losing Charlie. We know that he was suicidal (from the movie), so there may have been a moment in there where he lost himself to an addiction.

Who knows, though? He might be referring to the movie O'Neill's penchant for cigarettes, which is a plausible addiction, too. Although, I'm not sure where the "drugged out, strapped to the bed" thing might come into it.

But it would seem most likely that it would have been an earlier experience, and if I had to choose, I'd go with the pain meds/parachute accident explanation. There simply isn't enough information to assume anything else.
          sigpic
          My Stories: FFdotNet
          My Stories AO3
          Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

That's also how I interpret his statement. I tend to think his addiction mentioned in Need and "drugged out-strapped to the bed thing" were related, rather than 2 separate incidents. Also, I can't see Jack doing drugs (or alcohol for that matter) in his private life because IMO he needs to be in control too much to let himself lose in being high/drunk so I always thought that whatever happened, he wasn't a willing participant.

I've read quite a few fanfics/discussions exploring this and the 2 most popular theories I've come across are:
            1) addiction to pain meds after the chute accident
            2) addiction to drugs during his imprisonment in Iraq as a result of either interrogations involving drugs or the Iraqis addicting him on purpose ('a junkie would be more forthcoming with info if promised a next dose' idea)

Personally, option no 2 with Iraq works for me.

As for alcoholism mentioned on GW, I have no idea where did it come from. I just don't see it. There's nothing in the series that would even hint at Jack having a problem with the alcohol during the show's run, and if he was a recovering alcoholic, he wouldn't be drinking all that beer and scotch.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
              As for alcoholism mentioned on GW, I have no idea where did it come from. I just don't see it. There's nothing in the series that would even hint at Jack having a problem with the alcohol during the show's run, and if he was a recovering alcoholic, he wouldn't be drinking all that beer and scotch.
              I think the notion of his having an alcohol problem came from seeing him drinking all that beer and scotch. I've actually read a comment or two by people who think he has a drinking problem just because of those times we see him with beer.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                I think the notion of his having an alcohol problem came from seeing him drinking all that beer and scotch. I've actually read a comment or two by people who think he has a drinking problem just because of those times we see him with beer.
                Just because he likes his beer doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. He did once say that beer was a good substitute for food (which could be a sign of alcoholism), but I think he was just making a joke. I don't see any of the team ever getting fall down drunk (and I don't think Daniel has two sips of beer and becomes a giggly girl either), and I think all those fanfics where they do are so OoC.

Comment

Just because he likes his beer doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. He did once say that beer was a good substitute for food (which could be a sign of alcoholism), but I think he was just making a joke. I don't see any of the team ever getting fall down drunk (and I don't think Daniel has two sips of beer and becomes a giggly girl either), and I think all those fanfics where they do are so OoC.
                  I'm quite aware that just because he likes beer doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. I was simply saying that I've read comments by other people on various threads that they think he's an alcoholic because of all the beer he is shown to be drinking and buying. I personally don't agree with that and wasn't saying he was an alcoholic.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    I'm quite aware that just because he likes beer doesn't mean he's an alcoholic. I was simply saying that I've read comments by other people on various threads that they think he's an alcoholic because of all the beer he is shown to be drinking and buying. I personally don't agree with that and wasn't saying he was an alcoholic.
                    I guess I didn't say that right. I never meant to accuse you of calling Jack an alcoholic. I never thought that's what you meant. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Comment

The theory I've gone with tends to be pain meds. Imagining what may have happened in Iraq, it wouldn't be entirely off from his timeline (the Gulf War happened in 1990-1991, the movie took place in 1994). I'm trying to think of all the details, but it's possible that somewhere between 1991 and 1997 (SG-1 - although the movie was in 1994) he ended up having to deal with an addiction (and as someone referenced, perhaps he'd been drugged up while in the "care" of Iraqi military).

That would be a lot to put on a marriage (missing, PTSD, addiction, death of a child).

Comment

I also think the addiction reference has something to do with Iraq or one of his other special/black ops missions. There are so many types of drugs the enemy can use, including those with addictive properties and/or the "truth" serum type. As long as they get the information they need, they don't really care how the drugs will affect the prisoner.

And Sam sort of references to that as well, in Hathor.

Spoiler:
                        CARTER
                        It must be a pretty powerful drug Hathor's using. Colonel O'Neill is Special Forces trained to fight mind control techniques.

I also doubt that training is simply focusing your control and willpower...
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Thor's Chariot

Not a bit a ship in this really.

You can catch Jack checking out Sam's six in the control room at the very beginning. He looks away quickly when she turns around.

Sam steps up to take the blame with the team because she was . . . there. Jack gives her a nod. Some of his defiant smart a$$ is definitely rubbing off on her. He looks so proud.

When they realize she can use the hand device Jack looks a little concerned. I think he sees how disturbing this discovery might be for her.

Comment

Sorry to jump in the middle of a discussion and change the subject, but I've a question. In the SGU era, does Jack's secretary/aide de camp/whoever have a name? I'm working on a round robin and would like to add that little detail if it's available.
                            sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                              Sorry to jump in the middle of a discussion and change the subject, but I've a question. In the SGU era, does Jack's secretary/aide de camp/whoever have a name? I'm working on a round robin and would like to add that little detail if it's available.
                              I thought he had Walter. *shrugs*

Comment

That would be awesome! Didn't know if he (Walter) left the SGC or not.
                                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Working...
                                X