Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Lesson for future stunts - Do.Not.Help!!!
    Indeed!
    sigpic

Comment

Lesson for future stunts - Do.Not.Help!!!
      Or 'remember to tuck your chin when being thrown backwards'! Mind you, I know seasoned judoka who've knocked themselves out forgetting to do this, so poor Amanda probably didn't stand a chance!
      The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
        Amanda has said that when Jay threw her against the wall, she 'helped' by flinging herself backwards. The combination of both of them was too much, hence her banging her head.
        yes.

i was too lazy to post this before.

i'd also like to know the details on how they found out amanda was really knocked out? and what did they do then, freak and call for help? did amanda wake up pretty quickly?

i want to interview amanda. i've got about 50 questions i'd love to ask her. (run, amanda, run! )
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kunoichi View Post
          Or 'remember to tuck your chin when being thrown backwards'! Mind you, I know seasoned judoka who've knocked themselves out forgetting to do this, so poor Amanda probably didn't stand a chance!
          even seasoned amanda (she's seasoned 'now' ) forgot the protecting yourself info, and once again hurt her head (and neck) while shooting a fighting scene in sanctuary's season 3 ep 'breach'. poor woman
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i'd also like to know the details on how they found out amanda was really knocked out? and what did they do then, freak and call for help? did amanda wake up pretty quickly?

i want to interview amanda. i've got about 50 questions i'd love to ask her. (run, amanda, run! )
            I don't recall specifics, but I think they realized right away that Amanda was unconscious and would have had to stop what they were doing. It wouldn't have taken much to realize since she wouldn't have been moving at all. I remember reading that she was taken to the hospital and was out of work for the rest of the day. They really could not take any chances on what injuries she might have by not taking her to a hospital immediately.

Then they must have gone back and set the scene with her laying on the floor of the elevator when the door was opened and continued filming from there.

And I would imagine everyone was mighty upset; especially Jay.

Comment

I don't recall specifics, but I think they realized right away that Amanda was unconscious and would have had to stop what they were doing. It wouldn't have taken much to realize since she wouldn't have been moving at all. I remember reading that she was taken to the hospital and was out of work for the rest of the day. They really could not take any chances on what injuries she might have by not taking her to a hospital immediately.

Then they must have gone back and set the scene with her laying on the floor of the elevator when the door was opened and continued filming from there.

And I would imagine everyone was mighty upset; especially Jay.
              i kind of feel sorry for jay.

if you watch the scene where the elevator doors open and jack and the mp's find charlie with sam, you can see that sam's not really shown. i think she wasn't there then, so they filmed around her.

that's pretty scary stuff, having someone so hurt that they had to be taken to the hospital. i know it was a serious concussion, but still.

(((amanda hon)))
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                even seasoned amanda (she's seasoned 'now' ) forgot the protecting yourself info, and once again hurt her head (and neck) while shooting a fighting scene in sanctuary's season 3 ep 'breach'. poor woman
                I think her description of herself is something like "klutz". I'm a bit like her that way.

Comment

Wow I never knew that before.
                  Poor Jay he probably was like wow she really in unconscious. At least she was okay.
                  sigpic

Comment

Emancipation:

Jack's (actually...all of the guy's) open stare at Sam in 'the dress':
                    "Sam's A GIRL!!" mouths hanging open in shock.

I laughed SO HARD when I re-watched.

*on a more serious note, Sam's treatment by Turghan made me so angry. When the Shavadi chief said Turghan would "partake of his newest purchase" and Jack's "Oh, there's no chance in h***", it warmed my heart regardless of if Jack meant there was no chance because Sam would kill him or if he meant there was not chance because HE would kill him.
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post

*on a more serious note, Sam's treatment by Turghan made me so angry. When the Shavadi chief said Turghan would "partake of his newest purchase" and Jack's "Oh, there's no chance in h***", it warmed my heart regardless of if Jack meant there was no chance because Sam would kill him or if he meant there was not chance because HE would kill him.
                      That was a great Jack moment - one of many to come!

The thing that I loved about the first season was that, although some of the stories were cheesy, standard scifi rehashes, the interplay between the team members was great, as was the humour. It made the characters believable. I felt the women's lib message in Emancipation was handling in a heavy handed manner, but the acting and character moments counteracted that and gave us some great moments. The lack of this interplay (and the way the humour changed from sarcastic, observational humour to the more childish crude version) is one of the reason I find seasons 9 and 10 so difficult to watch. It was the characters and the 'team' feeling that really kept me watching SG-1 in the beginning, not so much some of the early stories. That being said, as first seasons of scifi go, I think SG-1 did a pretty good job and it did entertain me.
                      The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                        Emancipation:

Jack's (actually...all of the guy's) open stare at Sam in 'the dress':
                        "Sam's A GIRL!!" mouths hanging open in shock.

I laughed SO HARD when I re-watched.

The biggest problem I had with "Emancipation" is the fact that the guys left Sam alone while they went off to party with the natives. Jack, in particular, should have known better. In a sense, he/they left Sam behind, and as a result she got kidnapped - by a boy, no less. Given what had almost happened at the meeting with the boy, his father, and those other men, and how Sam's very life was in danger when they all met, should have been a huge warning to the guys that Sam should never have been left alone. Sam is very big on being able to take care of herself, but in this case she wasn't and didn't, given how easily she was kidnapped. Even she should have been more suspicious and on guard. Just because the women were nice to her didn't mean something sinister wouldn't happen.

I was ashamed of all three of the guys for being so flippant about Sam in that dress and just walking out on her. And this was just the beginning of all the times Daniel's "advice" got one or all of them in trouble ... and Jack (who should have known better) listened to him and did what he (Daniel) wanted. I seriously hope Hammond gave at least Jack a severe tongue lashing over the incident.

I've read a few fics which took the whole incident further and had Sam being pretty severely injured by Turghan before she got rescued, and she didn't say anything until back at the SGC and Janet found her injuries and let all the guys have it.

Comment

The biggest problem I had with "Emancipation" is the fact that the guys left Sam alone while they went off to party with the natives. Jack, in particular, should have known better. In a sense, he/they left Sam behind, and as a result she got kidnapped - by a boy, no less. Given what had almost happened at the meeting with the boy, his father, and those other men, and how Sam's very life was in danger when they all met, should have been a huge warning to the guys that Sam should never have been left alone. Sam is very big on being able to take care of herself, but in this case she wasn't and didn't, given how easily she was kidnapped. Even she should have been more suspicious and on guard. Just because the women were nice to her didn't mean something sinister wouldn't happen.

I was ashamed of all three of the guys for being so flippant about Sam in that dress and just walking out on her. And this was just the beginning of all the times Daniel's "advice" got one or all of them in trouble ... and Jack (who should have known better) listened to him and did what he (Daniel) wanted. I seriously hope Hammond gave at least Jack a severe tongue lashing over the incident.

I've read a few fics which took the whole incident further and had Sam being pretty severely injured by Turghan before she got rescued, and she didn't say anything until back at the SGC and Janet found her injuries and let all the guys have it.
                          Have to agree with you on all of this! It was bad of Jack to leave Sam alone after what happened at the start of the episode. It was a clumsy plot device used to set up the kidnap and the rest of the episode. A trend that became way too common in the later seasons, but fortunately wasn't done too much in the beginning.
                          Last edited by Kunoichi; 07 August 2011, 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Just watched the first few eps, and wanted to weigh in on Emancipation too. Wasn't as cringe worthy as I remember. The guys reaction to Sam's dress was funny, and I liked how Jack had his trigger finger ready on his gun, just in case Sam's fight didn't go well.

More seriously though, the guys should have known better than to leave her alone in the tent during the celebration. I guess it goes to show how new to all of this they were. Jack should have known better, but I think that his and Daniel's reaction was partially informed (though incorrectly) by their positive experiences with th Abydonians.

Yes, the more technologically advanced Goa'ulds are very dangerous to humans, but they have a fond almost paternalistic impression of people who are less advanced than us. It's almost like they think the Shavadi can't be that dangerous because they are more primative.

Even when confronted with the group that wants to kill Sam in the begining, the male team members seem confident that our own superior weapons, and "playing along" with the funky customs will be sufficint to keep them safe. In the tent they are uncertain that the Shavadi medcine is as powerful as they say, simply because it is hard to believe that these people could have anything so advanced.

Add to that they begin to develop a nice repoor and possibly educational relationship with the leader Mugal, paralleling the one with Kasouf. They get subconsciously lulled into a sense of security. These people can't be that dangerous, right?

Clearly, however, even more primative people can be very dangerous. Maybe even more so to a female team member. This could have gone really badly for Sam on this mission, even more so than they went. Suppose the guys hadn't arrived in time? Or Turgan's group had migrated, or any number of things...this could have been way worse.

However, I do think that the team learned from Emancipation (and other seeming poor choices in season on eps), and went in with more caution on subsequent missions. Hopefully, they did get a lecture of sorts from Janet or Hammond or something to reinforce the wake up call that the Turgan incident was.
                            Last edited by Conn8d; 07 August 2011, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatetrixer View Post
                              Jumping in here with some perspective about male officers, and the military's expectations. I got this mostly from an article I read a few years back, but it basically said officers are expected to be married. The officer and wife are a team. When an officer gets to major or its equivalent in the Navy, it's pretty hard to get to colonel and beyond without a wife, as the social aspect in important as well as politicizing behind the scenes, as possible. Not sure if female officers need a husband as much, but supposedly it surely doesn't hurt. Now some of this sounds like the business executives needing wives and the wives having no career except furthering the same of their husbands, and all a little anachronistic sounding. But it did make me wonder qbout Jack and how he might possibly be in quite a different situation from other generals. The SGC is so different I suppose it wouldn't make much difference about being married there, but when he gets to DC!! I've read a couple of fics with these advanced grade officers' wives being catty (though usually one or two is nice) about Jack and Sam.

So, military experts here, thoughts?
                              I had never heard this, and in fact, knew plenty of officers who were not married! And officers who were married had wives who had their own careers. Maybe the article was more referencing the past? (Oh, and there are no colonels in the Navy. )
                              sigpic
                              Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                                I had never heard this, and in fact, knew plenty of officers who were not married! And officers who were married had wives who had their own careers. Maybe the article was more referencing the past? (Oh, and there are no colonels in the Navy. )
                                Thank you for commenting. The article was about 10-11 years old. Yes, I know there are no colonels in the Navy-- I neglected to repeat the word "equivalent." Hey, were any of those unmarried officers looking or were they confirmed bachelors?

If you are interested I would PM you more about the article.
                                Last edited by Gatetrixer; 07 August 2011, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X