• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try the link now.
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Conn8d View Post
      I also think it'd be good to join the rewatch, for similar resasons to hlndncr. Maybe to offset the brisk pace of the rewatch we could have more focused and pointed discussions in here on the shippiest episodes. That way if people have a busy week, they can choose to only watch one or two episodes per week, and still join the discussions? just an idea
      I think Conn8d and SaraBahama's ideas are good, and would like to join the main Gateworld re-watch, but add any shippy thoughts here.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
        Hm, it might be my brain farting or just a late night, but it seems I have no idea how to send a PM in this forum :/ Cannot find a way in users profile :/
        Here's a link to the Guide for Newbies:

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/5...or-new-members

and

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/1...-(for-newbies)

Comment

Playing catch-up:

Laira

I must say that I absolutely can't agree with fems' post. IMO it unnecessarily makes a villain out of Laira, but of course we are both entitled to our opinions, and that's fine. I'd like to briefly comment on just 2 things:

Originally posted by fems View Post
          I thought Laira was manipulative and plotting the best way to get Jack in the sack. I'm not sure if I agree with Petra about Jack being attracted to her from the beginning. In my opinion, she was one of the alien contacts with whom he had to negotiate a deal (or if she wasn't an important village leader, some sort of guide then) with or a treaty. He thought she was nice and was probably enjoying her friendship as well as looking forward to the "fire rain", which she could tell them more about. That's basically all we see, although they seem to have been there for a few days already.
          re bolded: Everyone sees what they see and that's the beauty of a discussion board, but IMO Jack clearly treated Laira in a very different way he usually treats other female allies/contacts/leaders whom he needs on his side. Just think how he treated Garshaw for example. So I can't buy this explanation.

On a related note, I just don't understand why for some shippers Jack being attracted to other women or Sam being attracted to other guys is a problem. I always thought it worked in favour of our 'ship, because at the end Sam and Jack choose each other and they do so knowing that nobody else comes even close and so it's their choice and not lack of other options for example. Without other love interests in the series they (and we, the shippers) wouldn't have had that certainty. But then, my opinions are strange anyway.

She hands him the shirt she made for her husband and just ignores him and mentions the harvest when he suggests the gate could be just buried. Like she doesn't even care (after all, a lot of her people are gone but she still has her house, her son and now Jack).
          Or alternatively she's a good leader who cares about her people and realises that with their numbers so severely diminished they need to have an early start and focus all their attention on thier survival, on getting food and preparing for winter, instead od wasting time and resources to ponder possibilities of getting the rest of their people back (back to the ruined village, ruined crops etc., so in a word back to no resources to sustain hypothetical rescuees anyway). There will be time for mourning after they survive tough times ahead.

SG-1 and S/J post-series/movies

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          Any thoughts on what her position might have been? She was clearly still going off-world at least occasionally, and it seemed she had something to do with getting The Hammond up and running. I think she may have also been assisting Jack with the creation and establishment of the Homeworld Command.
          While I agree that Sam’s SG-1 patch in EatG must have been an honorary thing (there’s no freaking way she’d go back to co-commanding :rollseyes: 3 civilians after having been in command of hundreds of civilians and military) I don’t see why would she have been needed in DC? Jack didn’t create HWS, Hammond had done it, so it’s not like Jack needed help with the set-up. And even if he did, administration staff from the Pentagon like Lt Col Davies (I refuse to think he’s still a Major) was far more likely to be able to help than Sam. So in my mind, Sam’s time was taken up mainly by The Hammond, with occasional trips off-world or to Area 51 when her specific skills and expertise were needed.

Btw, has Mitchell been promoted to full bird as well? I try to forget anything post season 8, so I don’t remember.

We don’t know why Landry was in DC. I like to think Jack is preparing for his eventual, but not too distant, retirement.
          Oh boy, I hope not. Apart from the fact that I don’t think Jack’s ready to retire at all, I’d hate to see Landry as his successor. That would be a recipe for disaster, since Landry is notorious for making bad calls and screwing everything up, IMO. *shudders*

Personally, I was not happy with how either Jack or Sam’s characters were portrayed on SGU, but that is a discussion for another time and place. On the positive side I will say that it was nice to see some interaction between them (albeit long-distance and largely formal). And we do get a peak on how their relationship has progressed. Jack refers to Sam easily and frequently. He speaks highly of her leadership and acknowledges her brilliance. You can certainly sense the fondness between them.
          Personally, I was thrilled with Jack and Sam’s portrayal on SGU. Sure, I would have loved more screentime for them, both separately and *together*, but it wasn’t their show so I’m trying to be happy with what I got. I like the fact that they both remained so professional, but at the same time their closeness was evident (well, to me anyway ). And he called her “Sam” for the first time since season 2 (which was the last season of their comfortable friendship without those pesky feelings and UST complicating everything, IMO ) so honestly, what more would I want? Okay, okay, a kiss would be awesome, but still…”Sam” is better than nothing.

Mitchell remains the leader of a newly constituted SG-1 for now. (...)
          He may eventually become the leader of the SGC as he continues to mellow and develop and demonstrate better judgment.
          Oh no. Mitchell in command of SGC + Landry in command of HWS = Earth no more

I’d love to see Dixon in command of the SGC someday, or better yet, Reynolds. He seemed to be Jack’s 2IC in season 8 and given his stint with Area 51 he probably has experience with scientists and paperwork, so he’d be an ideal candidate IMO.

I could see Mitchell leading new SG-1 for a few years, hopefully maturing enough to realize he doesn’t have potential to truly lead on a big scale like Jack, Sam or Reynolds and then either go back to F-302 program or to the AF Academy to train new recruits. Or even possibly retiring and going back to Kansas with that Amy girl from The Bounty.

Or with Vala. I’ve read a few awesome Vala/Cam fics and since then I can definitely see them as an item.

Perhaps that new SG-1 includes at least one old face—Jonas. (..)
          Therefore, I would posit that Jonas finally left his home world and returned to earth and SGC where he could continue his exploration of the galaxy.
          Oh, that’s such a lovely thought, Jonas back on SG-1. *hugs hlndncr* I had always thought that his planet survived the Ori invasion thanks to him (for once Mallozzi had a good idea ) and then he helped to rebuild it, eventually rising to some really high honours and position on Kelowna. However, after the events of Seizure this doesn’t seem likely at all, so in my mind after rebuilding Kelowna he came back to the SGC and to his friends. Ha, in fact this would work perfectly as an explanation of Jack’s actions in Seizure as well, so that’s my official version of events from now on.

Daniel for me is the hardest. I don’t see him continuing on SG-1. Personally, I think he would like to be closer to Jack and Sam. They are his closest family, and frankly they need him too. Maybe Jack made him a special diplomatic and cultural advisor for all intra- and inter- galactic relations, based in DC. I can see him being the one who keeps an eye on the big picture of earth’s role in the galaxy.
          I agree with you re Vala and Teal’c. In fact I refuse to believe that T is still on SG-1 because honestly, after everything he accomplished, that would be so below him. As for Daniel, I think he’d jump on the chance to further explore Atlantis, so I see him spending all his time there, maybe with occasional stint in Washington or off-world if Jack or Sam needed a trusted, experienced translator, archeologist and/or diplomat. And I think that from the lot of them, Daniel is most likely to stay on SG-1 and keep exploring the galaxy, once he’s finished with Atlantis.

. . . They All Live Happily Ever After.

So what do you think?
          I know that I’m in minority here, but personally while I don’t have any doubts that Sam and Jack are together, I don’t see them married. I also can’t see them deciding to have kids, for a myriad of reasons, or retiring any time soon. They are both workaholics after all. In my mind they continue to successfully lead and command HWS and The Hammond, spending every free moment together, proud of each other and happy.

I guess ‘marriage with kids’ ending is too sugary for my taste and a bit OOC for them.

OT Daniel and Vala:

Now as to Sam and Jack, if they didn't have babies of their own, I don't personally see them adopting. But I can see them being very happy and involved grandparents to Cassie's kids.
          Yeah, that's something I can agree with.

Thread's future

As for the future of the thread, personally I’ll vote for option 2 and/or 4. I’m one of the few folks who participated in the rewatch/ discussion from the start, so I’m not interested in doing it all over again. But then, I don’t post nearly as much as I used to anyway.
          There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
          sigpic
          awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
            Playing catch-up:

Laira

IMO Jack clearly treated Laira in a very different way he usually treats other female allies/contacts/leaders whom he needs on his side. Just think how he treated Garshaw for example. So I can't buy this explanation.
            The thing is, Garshaw was a snakehead to Jack. He didn't really believe and/or trust the Tok'ra because they hardly knew them and one of them (Jolinar) had attacked one of his team (Sam). Not to mention that the Tok'ra were (and always are) keeping secrets and 'detaining' SG-1 until they could relocate to a different planet.

Other than Garshaw and Laira (and Hathor, but she doesn't count), I can only recall Kynthia as one of the female aliens he had a lot of interaction with(up to that point) and we all know how that went... Well, Lya and Catherine perhaps, but he was also simply very nice to them. Linea was more out of necessity because of their imprisonment. Shyla wasn't the leader, her father was (and she only had eyes for Daniel anyway). He didn't have a lot of interaction with Gairwyn since he and Teal'c were beamed away by Thor's Hammer. There wasn't a lot of interaction with La Moor, because of the stolen device. Nirrti was an enemy, so no friendly interaction with her. AU Samantha Carter, well, that kinda speaks for itself.

So there isn't really anything comparable to the way he interacted with Laira in my opinion.

Or alternatively she's a good leader who cares about her people and realises that with their numbers so severely diminished they need to have an early start and focus all their attention on thier survival, on getting food and preparing for winter, instead od wasting time and resources to ponder possibilities of getting the rest of their people back (back to the ruined village, ruined crops etc., so in a word back to no resources to sustain hypothetical rescuees anyway). There will be time for mourning after they survive tough times ahead.
            I don't think she actually was a leader, but yes that is a possibility.

I don’t see why would she have been needed in DC? Jack didn’t create HWS, Hammond had done it, so it’s not like Jack needed help with the set-up.
            I don't think she was there either, but it's possible she was if only to help with the designs of the new ships. I believe General Vidrine was in command of Earth's fleet production so it's possible Sam was placed under his command and rather stay at Area 51, she was either designing (or contributing to the design) the ships from HWS or was the 'technical' liaison for HWS and Area 51 (since she'd already had command of Stargate R&D at 51, it looks like a step backwards to me for her to go back there after Atlantis) while awaiting her new assignment of commanding Hammond. Or something like that.

Lt Col Davies (I refuse to think he’s still a Major)...
            He was still a major in Enemy at the Gate (SGA 5x20), which is ten years since his first appearance. The actor was 31 in A Matter of Time so I assume his character should be the same age. Considering he was working at the Pentagon in an administrative role, I'm surprised he was already a major at the time as he barely could have had ten years in the service at the time. But you are right about him getting a promotion in the next ten years since it appeared he was doing a good job and all... But that sort of stuff happened a few times throughout the series, like Reynolds' sudden promotion(s) two years after his first appearance...

Btw, has Mitchell been promoted to full bird as well? I try to forget anything post season 8, so I don’t remember.
            Unfortunately, I believe he has, around the same time as Sam probably...

Oh boy, I hope not. Apart from the fact that I don’t think Jack’s ready to retire at all...
            According to Sam in the deleted scene from Trio, he was going to retire soon.

Personally, I was thrilled with Jack and Sam’s portrayal on SGU.
            I’d love to see Dixon in command of the SGC someday, or better yet, Reynolds.
            I totally agree on all three.

Or even possibly retiring and going back to Kansas with that Amy girl from The Bounty.
            If only...
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Sam & Jack

When we see Sam again in EatG I would have preferred to see her with an SGC patch (like Jack wore when he was promoted) or none at all (like Jack in S10) rather than an SG-1 patch because I just can’t see her going back to play second fiddle to Mitchell after being in command of Atlantis. I even think command of SG-1 would be a step backwards. Not to mention that after a year in separate galaxies I would think that she and Jack would at least try to get her a posting in DC. So in my mind the SG-1 patch is just an honorary thing.
              I agree with this.

I would note that Sam was wearing earrings with her BDUs, which she has never done before. It’s a small little touch that makes her look just a little softer and a little more feminine. I ascribe that to Jack’s influence. For me it’s a small demonstration of the complete woman (not just soldier and scientist) coming through. Maybe the earrings were even a present from Jack—for their anniversary perhaps?
              The earrings may have been a gift from Jack, but other than that I don't think he had anything to do with her wearing them. We've seen her in other episodes wearing earrings, so in this case I think she might have forgotten to take them off when she arrived at the SGC. She's worn them during downtime, as well as on the job. I'd have to look again to be sure, but I think on occasion she was wearing earrings during times she was wearing her dress uniform, so it isn't totally unusual for her to be doing so in this case.

Vala is the other easy one for me because I never saw her sticking around. I think she realized her place was with Tomin and that she could play an important role in helping the people of the Ori galaxy find their way after the demise of their oppressive false gods. I think eventually Vala and Tomin will unite the people of the galaxy in a peaceful quest for individual enlightenment and they will become great and legendary leaders. (See I still wish good things for Vala, just not with Daniel.)
              I can't decide whether Vala and Daniel would end up together, but I truly can't see her going off to help Tomin unite his people. In spite of how much she cares for him, I honestly feel she would stay nearer to her new friends from earth. But I could see her going off with Daniel to explore ruins and such, in spite of how dirty and dusty things would get and how many fingernails she broke.

Mitchell . . . may eventually become the leader of the SGC as he continues to mellow and develop and demonstrate better judgment.
              Oh, dear God, I hope not! Or in the words of President Henry Hayes - "Never.Going.To.Happen"! Maybe he'd become the leader of the SGC - in an alternate, alternate universe, but not ours.

Perhaps that new SG-1 includes at least one old face—Jonas. Jonas reluctantly left the SGC to assist with the rebuilding of his home world after the Goa’uld attack. I don’t think he was ever happy in this role. He had seen a wider universe and he was not particularly welcomed back by his own people. I imagine he helped his people resist the Ori before and after the invasion. I think once the Ori were defeated he did his part to again rebuild, which appears to have been largely successful. However, earth seems to have a strained and suspicious relationship with Langera, and Jonas doesn’t appear to have a role in the current government. Therefore, I would posit that Jonas finally left his home world and returned to earth and SGC where he could continue his exploration of the galaxy.
              I could see Jonas coming back to earth in some manner. Not too sure about being on SG1, but it's possible. He seemed to really like that role.

Daniel for me is the hardest. I don’t see him continuing on SG-1. Personally, I think he would like to be closer to Jack and Sam. They are his closest family, and frankly they need him too. Maybe Jack made him a special diplomatic and cultural advisor for all intra- and inter- galactic relations, based in DC. I can see him being the one who keeps an eye on the big picture of earth’s role in the galaxy.
              This is an interesting idea. But I think he'd really like to get back to his archaeology roots, too. Maybe he has a home near Sam and Jack for times when he's on earth, or they have a house with a guest cottage that they've given him for those times.

Sam is based in DC and spends a decent amount of time there since The Hammond’s home port is earth, and she would return to port often between various missions. But I don’t see The Hammond as a long-term assignment. I think with her knowledge and experience soon she will be given greater command responsibilities that will require her to largely remain on earth.
              I don't see the Hammond as long term either. It was a very nice perk for her to get to command it, but I don't think it is what she sees herself doing for very long. At some point, if she stayed in the military, she would be reassign to earth where it can take advantage of her genius abilities, and find something that she herself could be happy in - besides being closer to Jack more often, that is.

I think Jack will retire once Sam leaves The Hammond. But I don’t think the Stargate Program will entirely let him go. He will continue to play a consulting and training role.
              Since Jack is nearly 60 by this time (if not actually), I'm pretty sure he'd finally get to retire. I think 60 is the mandatory retirement age (but I could be wrong) and I don't see the President changing the rules just to keep him available.

In my world Jack and Sam have been married for some time and have a home they share in DC. They visit the cabin and go fishing as often as they can get away from their extensive responsibilities. I would love to see them have a child, and I think it is still possible although perhaps not probable. But since I’m free to imagine any scenario I want I will believe that sometime soon they have a baby girl and with their crazy extended SG-1 family, . . .
              There's a darling story by Midwifeonboard about the two of them adopting a 5 year old Chinese girl, and this is actually something I can see them doing, whether they have any biological children of their own.

Plus, as was said elsewhere, if Cassie has children, Sam and Jack would probably spoil them rotten as their "grandparents".

. . . They All Live Happily Ever After.
              Absolutely. And about darned time, too.

Comment

He got promoted at the same time Sam did, just before she got assigned to Atlantis. I've never felt that was fair to all the time Sam spent on SG1, but that's another argument ... er, discussion.

Comment

Playing catch-up too, so I'm going to borrow your post if you don't mind.

Playing catch-up:
                  On a related note, I just don't understand why for some shippers Jack being attracted to other women or Sam being attracted to other guys is a problem. I always thought it worked in favour of our 'ship, because at the end Sam and Jack choose each other and they do so knowing that nobody else comes even close and so it's their choice and not lack of other options for example. Without other love interests in the series they (and we, the shippers) wouldn't have had that certainty. But then, my opinions are strange anyway.
                  Mine must be strange too, because I completely agree here. The bolded esp is why I personally don't think Sam stayed with Pete so long simply because Jack was unavailable, because it wasn't as though she had no other choice in the matter.

While as a non-shipper Sam/Jack together was never really an ultimate end point for their relationship, I prefer the idea that, as you said, they came together in the end by choice and not because no one else was ever interested in them, or they were never interested in anyone else.

While I agree that Sam’s SG-1 patch in EatG must have been an honorary thing (there’s no freaking way she’d go back to co-commanding :rollseyes: 3 civilians after having been in command of hundreds of civilians and military) I don’t see why would she have been needed in DC? Jack didn’t create HWS, Hammond had done it, so it’s not like Jack needed help with the set-up. And even if he did, administration staff from the Pentagon like Lt Col Davies (I refuse to think he’s still a Major) was far more likely to be able to help than Sam. So in my mind, Sam’s time was taken up mainly by The Hammond, with occasional trips off-world or to Area 51 when her specific skills and expertise were needed.
                  I agree, I see Sam continuing with the Hammond for another year or so, and then dividing her time between teaching at the Academy and helping with research/tech at Area 51 and the SGC.

The odd thing about that is that, IIRC, Continuum ends with Mitchell as a Lt. Colonel and the character doesn't make another appearance or even mention on any Stargate show. The suggestion that he and Sam were promoted at the same time came from JM's blog, so personally since we never saw him on screen with eagles I'm inclined to think that canon-wise he hasn't been promoted yet.

Oh boy, I hope not. Apart from the fact that I don’t think Jack’s ready to retire at all, I’d hate to see Landry as his successor. That would be a recipe for disaster, since Landry is notorious for making bad calls and screwing everything up, IMO. *shudders*
                  The AF does have a mandatory retirement age of 62, which can be extended to 64 I think in rare cases, so Jack may not have a choice in the matter of retiring. Officers can be recalled to active duty at any age, but again that's rather rare and would need to be special circumstances.

Personally, I was thrilled with Jack and Sam’s portrayal on SGU. Sure, I would have loved more screentime for them, both separately and *together*, but it wasn’t their show so I’m trying to be happy with what I got. I like the fact that they both remained so professional, but at the same time their closeness was evident (well, to me anyway ). And he called her “Sam” for the first time since season 2 (which was the last season of their comfortable friendship without those pesky feelings and UST complicating everything, IMO ) so honestly, what more would I want? Okay, okay, a kiss would be awesome, but still…”Sam” is better than nothing.
                  I liked Sam in SGU as well, as well as what I saw of Jack (did he appear in S2? I missed most of the 2nd half of that). Their exchange in Incursion part 1, about Sam having to leave 2 302s behind, is one of my favorite between the characters.

re the thread, the GW's rewatch schedule is going to be much to fast for me, and I've doing this rewatch since S4, so I'll probably just chime in every once in a while as I've been doing recently.

And I'd like to again thank all you shippers for tolerating and humoring a non-shipper like me all these months. I'm still a die-hard non-shipper, but it's been fun exploring the Sam/Jack relationship with all of you. As a treat, only the 2nd time I've ever posted this icon:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                    The odd thing about that is that, IIRC, Continuum ends with Mitchell as a Lt. Colonel and the character doesn't make another appearance or even mention on any Stargate show. The suggestion that he and Sam were promoted at the same time came from JM's blog, so personally since we never saw him on screen with eagles I'm inclined to think that canon-wise he hasn't been promoted yet.
                    Because of the timing when Continuum was filmed, the credits that were shown were incorrect. I believe in an interview that Brad Wright said that both Sam and Mitchell were full bird Colonels during the events of Continuum. Sam, of course, for sure was a full bird Colonel, since Continuum took place after her stint on Atlantis. By the time anyone realized that Cam wasn't listed as a Colonel, it was too late to fix it in the credits.

Comment

Playing catch-up:

I make a distinction between HWS which was an ad hoc advisory position created by the President and Homeworld Command which I consider a new military command established within the Department of Defense. That would take a lot of assistance in setting up and Sam would be very helpful with military, scientific, diplomatic and command expertise. Not to mention she's one of the only people who has held command position at the SGC, Atlantis, Area 51, and is very involved in the ship building program. She would be extremely valuable to Homeworld Command.

I don't see why Jack wouldn't want to retire. He's been talking about it for years. He hates DC. If Sam isn't off-world anymore he'd want to be where she is. He and Sam may want to have a family. (They would certainly give it serious consideration in my world.) And just because he's retired doesn't meaning he wouldn't be doing anything or not assist in the program. I know lots of retired military who still work at the Pentagon.

I have no problem with Landry. I don't know who would be qualified to succeed Jack, except maybe Vidrine. Now that's a shudder from me. Even if Landry weren't taking over, he would probably still be included in succession plans.

I have no problem with how their relationship was portrayed on SGU. It was other aspects of their character that are not relevant to this discussion that I didn't like.

I’d love to see Dixon in command of the SGC someday, or better yet, Reynolds. He seemed to be Jack’s 2IC in season 8 and given his stint with Area 51 he probably has experience with scientists and paperwork, so he’d be an ideal candidate IMO.

I could see Mitchell leading new SG-1 for a few years, hopefully maturing enough to realize he doesn’t have potential to truly lead on a big scale like Jack, Sam or Reynolds and then either go back to F-302 program or to the AF Academy to train new recruits. Or even possibly retiring and going back to Kansas with that Amy girl from The Bounty.

Or with Vala. I’ve read a few awesome Vala/Cam fics and since then I can definitely see them as an item.
                      I don't hate Mitchell. I think he was reckless and unseasoned, but with time he could be a good leader. I really like Dixon and Reynolds. I never considered them as Landry's successor but it's possible.

I don't see Cam with Vala. I think for many that conclusion is influenced by their Farscape characters. I'm not saying that includes you, it's just been my observation.

Oh, that’s such a lovely thought, Jonas back on SG-1. *hugs hlndncr* I had always thought that his planet survived the Ori invasion thanks to him (for once Mallozzi had a good idea ) and then he helped to rebuild it, eventually rising to some really high honours and position on Kelowna. However, after the events of Seizure this doesn’t seem likely at all, so in my mind after rebuilding Kelowna he came back to the SGC and to his friends. Ha, in fact this would work perfectly as an explanation of Jack’s actions in Seizure as well, so that’s my official version of events from now on.
                      Happy to have contributed. I do like Jonas and want to see him happy. I think exploring the galaxy with SG-1 is what he was meant to do.

I agree with you re Vala and Teal’c. In fact I refuse to believe that T is still on SG-1 because honestly, after everything he accomplished, that would be so below him. As for Daniel, I think he’d jump on the chance to further explore Atlantis, so I see him spending all his time there, maybe with occasional stint in Washington or off-world if Jack or Sam needed a trusted, experienced translator, archeologist and/or diplomat. And I think that from the lot of them, Daniel is most likely to stay on SG-1 and keep exploring the galaxy, once he’s finished with Atlantis.
                      I can definitely see Daniel spending time exploring Atlantis, and I can certainly see him continuing to go through the stargate regularly. But I can't see him on SG-1 with Mitchell in charge without any of the others. I just don't think he and Mitchell got on that well, and frankly Daniel has more experience he could probably have his own team.

I know that I’m in minority here, but personally while I don’t have any doubts that Sam and Jack are together, I don’t see them married. I also can’t see them deciding to have kids, for a myriad of reasons, or retiring any time soon. They are both workaholics after all. In my mind they continue to successfully lead and command HWS and The Hammond, spending every free moment together, proud of each other and happy.

I guess ‘marriage with kids’ ending is too sugary for my taste and a bit OOC for them.
                      OK, I don't understand how marriage is OOC for either of them. Jack was married and I don't see any evidence that he's soured on it completely, and Sam clearly isn't opposed to marriage on principle because she keeps trying to get married--to the wrong people. And for me marriage not only conforms to their characters and my personal preference, it also definitively eliminates the CoC/Frat Regs issues, which I think they would factor into their decision.

Comment

It looks like the general consensus for now is to join with the GateWorld rewatch and add our shippy thoughts here.

So this week is the Prewatch for Stargate the Movie. No Jack and Sam, but if you have an shippy thoughts this will prove just how thick your shippy glasses really are.

Next week (August 1-7) officially begins the rewatch with the first five episodes of Season 1:

Children of the Gods
                        The Enemy Within
                        Emancipation
                        The Broca Divide
                        The First Commandment

Comment

OK, I don't understand how marriage is OOC for either of them. Jack was married and I don't see any evidence that he's soured on it completely, and Sam clearly isn't opposed to marriage on principle because she keeps trying to get married--to the wrong people. And for me marriage not only conforms to their characters and my personal preference, it also definitively eliminates the CoC/Frat Regs issues, which I think they would factor into their decision.
                          it also confirms their love and devotion about as big as you can get, which i adore!!
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

While I agree with this to a certain degree, it's the timing of them getting married that bugs me. While I understand the issue with the frat regs, and I do believe they got together after Threads, many people believe they got married straight after - or before she went back to the SGC. For me this is OOC for both of them. At this point in their lives they'd only known each other as Sir and Carter, and Sam has just ended an intense and upsetting engagment. I simply cannot see Sam jumping straight into a marriage like that without some time for them to explore their relationship with each other. And I can't see Jack letting her either. No matter how much they love each other - or think how much they love each other, because at that point I would imagine it would be very hard to go from imagining yourself with someone to suddenly being allowed to be with them. This is why, in my SG world, I feel they wouldn't get married until some time later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate1013 View Post
                              While I agree with this to a certain degree, it's the timing of them getting married that bugs me. While I understand the issue with the frat regs, and I do believe they got together after Threads, many people believe they got married straight after - or before she went back to the SGC. For me this is OOC for both of them. At this point in their lives they'd only known each other as Sir and Carter, and Sam has just ended an intense and upsetting engagment. I simply cannot see Sam jumping straight into a marriage like that without some time for them to explore their relationship with each other. And I can't see Jack letting her either. No matter how much they love each other - or think how much they love each other, because at that point I would imagine it would be very hard to go from imagining yourself with someone to suddenly being allowed to be with them. This is why, in my SG world, I feel they wouldn't get married until some time later.

While I understand your reasoning, I find it harder to believe they would screw the frat regs. After all, Sam is a very by-the-book officer and while Jack takes some liberty with certain orders, he's also professed his love for the air force and I don't think he'd 'endanger' Sam by starting a relationship with her while they are in the same chain of command (which is after Sam returns to the SGC, or even while she's at Area 51 since she was heading up Stargate R&D and that might directly report to HWS). It would ruin nearly ten years of hard work for Sam trying to prove herself in the military/SGC, since she's been under Jack's command from the start and he would have recommended her for promotions to Hammond (and even promoted her himself in season 8).
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                                Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                Because of the timing when Continuum was filmed, the credits that were shown were incorrect. I believe in an interview that Brad Wright said that both Sam and Mitchell were full bird Colonels during the events of Continuum. Sam, of course, for sure was a full bird Colonel, since Continuum took place after her stint on Atlantis. By the time anyone realized that Cam wasn't listed as a Colonel, it was too late to fix it in the credits.
                                The screencaps in the Gateworld gallery show Cam's filght suit in the eagles of a full colonel.

In my personal universe has Cam's promotion to full colonel coming just before the events of Continuum.
                                No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                                It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X