Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
    The Shroud
    I adore the scene in Sam's lab where Sam and Jack discuss the Supergate: they're just so comfy with each other; so in synch throughout the whole episode. They act like a couple even if it's not confirmed they are. I also think Jack's comment about being the worry-ee is actually meant as another hint. Because it comes across as a personal discussion really that Jack is having with his friend Hank about being the loved one left behind, not so much O'Neill discussing sending men out into battle with Landry.
    Believe it or not, that's exactly what I though he was saying when I first watched this episode (before I ever set foot in GW)!
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I really enjoy Bad Guys (even though it doesn't have Sam). It reminds me of early SG1 in a funny kind of way. My favorite part--Sam is being held over in DC!
      sigpic
      Thank you Astra Per Aspera for the sig....... My Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
        I really enjoy Bad Guys (even though it doesn't have Sam). It reminds me of early SG1 in a funny kind of way. My favorite part--Sam is being held over in DC!
        Sam id being held over what in DC? A certain General, perhaps? *splash* in the gutter.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
          Sam id being held over what in DC? A certain General, perhaps? *splash* in the gutter.
          *dips toe in gutter next to Lucy* Is the old saying "Come on in, the water's fine?" LOL

It's difficult for me to think of it as gutter, since in my head they're married and it's not only allowed, but encouraged
          sigpic
          sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
          "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Where'd everybody go??

Lucy?
            hlndncr?

*wanders out of thread to rewatch 'Window of Opportunity'*
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
              *dips toe in gutter next to Lucy* Is the old saying "Come on in, the water's fine?" LOL

It's difficult for me to think of it as gutter, since in my head they're married and it's not only allowed, but encouraged
              I'd like to think there are plenty trips to the gutter after marriage!! I mean, we both know they are adventurous types!

Comment

I'm here. I've just been taking care of my mother who broke both wrists this weekend.

Here's summaries for the rest of the episodes of S10 and The Ark of Truth.

(Summaries from StargateWiki)

By hlndncr

On the planet Dar Eshkalon, a bombing rips apart a peaceful Jaffa summit. Many Jaffa are killed instantly. Teal'c and Bra'tac are both badly injured. SG–1 rescues them, but Teal'c endures a long recovery only to discover that his mentor Bra'tac still lies comatose in Stargate Command's infirmary.

Jaffa intelligence sources suggest that the mastermind behind the bombing was probably Arkad, a power-hungry and dishonorable Jaffa who was a nemesis of Teal'c's — and may even have murdered Teal'c's mother — when they were both First Primes. Recently, Arkad has converted to Origin and is using the religion to consolidate power over all Jaffa. He bombed the summit to murder those who oppose him.

No one — not even SG–1 — can now stand in the way of Teal'c's renewed fury at Arkad. Leaving his teammates behind, Teal'c storms across the galaxy to seek revenge. With frightening intensity, he tracks down and interrogates those who can help him find his quarry.

Back on Earth, SG–1's concern for Teal'c only grows after Bra'tac awakens. The old Jaffa warrior warns them that Arkad is an especially formidable enemy. As if to support this, SG–22 returns from a recon mission with rumors that Arkad plans to launch a devastating sneak attack against Earth.

Next, surprisingly, Arkad himself contacts Stargate Command. He claims that rogue forces, not his own army, are orchestrating the attack on Earth. He urges Gen. Landry and SG–1 to wait peacefully as he deals with the problem himself, but also issues a thinly veiled warning that the slightest Tau'ri aggression against him will be answered by overwhelming force.

SG–1 believes that Arkad is lying and actually is masterminding the planned attack. Unfortunately, they lack proof, and the International Oversight Advisory can't authorize a pre-emptive attack against Arkad based on SG–1's collective intuition. Furthermore, the IOA fears that if Teal'c assassinates Arkad, he'll be seen as acting on behalf of Earth, and the whole planet will suffer the retribution for this Tau'ri aggression.

Accordingly, the IOA orders SG–1 to stop Teal'c before he can carry out his revenge.
                Knowing that Teal'c will never stand down willingly, his teammates realize that they must hunt down and capture their friend. Their distaste for the job perhaps explains why they do it half-heartedly. Teal'c escapes them, forces his way into Arkad's stronghold — and is promptly shot and captured. Unless he can find new reserves of strength, his quest for revenge will end in his death.

By hlndncr

Now that Vala truly feels like a member of SG-1, she's angry when a reminder of her checkered past suddenly radios Earth through the Stargate: her father, Jacek. He's a friendly scoundrel, but his criminal schemes ruined Vala's childhood, and she blames him for the bad choices she has made since then.

Jacek claims that he's desperate to turn his life around and get to know his daughter. In exchange for a home on Earth, he tells the team where to find a stockpile of weapons-grade naquadah that rogue Jaffa, loyal to the late Arkad, are about to use to attack Earth. Vala confidently believes that her father is lying — right up until SG-1 destroys the massive stockpile on exactly the planet where Jacek swore it would be.

To Vala's dismay, Gen. Landry honors Earth's side of the bargain and gives Jacek an apartment in Colorado Springs. Landry, who is working to heal rifts in his own estranged family, urges Vala to stop rejecting her father's attempts to reach out to her. Vala gradually softens, only to be disappointed anew when Jacek's eagerness to scam innocent Earthlings overcomes his promises to reform.

After Daniel gently reminds her that her own journey to an honest life has had its share of setbacks, Vala reluctantly consents to give Jacek one last chance. When she and Daniel try to visit him at his apartment, however, they find that he has disappeared. They eventually corner him in the forest — meeting with a rogue Jaffa. Dragged back to Stargate Command, Jacek confesses that a few of Arkad's rogue Jaffa had already arrived on Earth with a cargo ship full of weapons-grade naquadah. After abandoning their original attack plan, they instead made a deal with Jacek. Jacek's real reason for coming to Earth is to buy their naquadah so he can re-sell it for profit.

Vala is furious at this betrayal. Undaunted, her father insists that he must participate in SG-1's attempt to seize the naquadah-laden cargo ship because only he knows the access codes to bypass a deadly booby trap that the ship's Jaffa guards have rigged. Vala and her teammates doubt he's telling the truth, but they can't risk ignoring him, either.

In the end, as Vala and her father confront the ship's Jaffa guard, Vala knows that she's about to learn whether he's sincere or lying. What she doesn't expect is that his affection for her might be the real deal, either way.

By Oma

In an alien tavern, Vala nearly gets herself killed by her fellow gamblers before her half-human, half-Ori daughter Adria appears and rescues her. When Adria asks what Vala is doing without her SG-1 teammates, Vala admits that she has lost their trust. After several SGC personnel were fatally ambushed while following a tip from Vala about an Ancient treasure, she fell under suspicion. Facing expulsion from SG-1 and possible imprisonment, she fled Earth through the Stargate.

By reading Vala's mind, Adria confirms that the story is true. She eagerly insists that Vala show her the location of the treasure. The moment they step onto the planet through the Stargate, however, they're surrounded by SG-1. The whole thing has been a setup to trap Adria; with Vala's consent, artificial memories of her falling-out with Stargate Command have been implanted in her mind by the Galaran memory device.
                SG-1 barely has time to enjoy this clever victory before the Goa'uld system lord Ba'al unexpectedly beams Adria away to his ship. Frustrated, SG-1 resolves to reclaim their hard-won prize. They track down the location of Ba'al's mothership, race there aboard the Odyssey, and beam over. Dodging heavy fire, they tag Adria with a locator beacon and beam back to the Odyssey with her as their prisoner at last.

Or so they think. In fact, Adria is no longer herself: Ba'al has implanted one of his symbiotes into Adria. He now plans to claim her vast armies for his own. He offers to collaborate with SG-1 if they'll let him go, but they know better than to trust him. Instead, they call in a Tok'ra surgeon who attempts to remove the Ba'al symbiote from Adria and install a Tok'ra instead. Once in control of Adria's body, this new symbiote will order the Ori armies to leave the Milky Way galaxy forever. Just as the surgeon removes Ba'al, however, Ba'al releases a lethal toxin into Adria's body. The Tok'ra symbiote won't be able to survive the poison, and Adria herself will soon die, too.

As Vala somberly says good-bye to her unconscious daughter, Adria's eyes fly open. She may be near death, but she still has superhuman abilities — and a superhuman plan to save herself. As she locks down the Odyssey, SG-1 realizes that, once again, their prize prisoner is about to escape … and they'll be lucky if she doesn't kill them on her way out.

Comment

By Oma

Aboard the Odyssey, SG-1 and Gen. Landry answer a summons to the Asgard galaxy. There, SG-1's old friend Thor announces that his people are dying of an incurable disease. Before they suffer this extinction, they wish to bequeath all their advanced knowledge to Earth by installing technology and libraries aboard the Odyssey.
                  After the Asgard finish this solemn task, Ori warships harry the Odyssey throughout its trip back to the Milky Way. They attack repeatedly, and even Asgard weaponry can't defend the Earth ship forever. Nonetheless, SG-1 and Landry decide to fight for the precious legacy that the Odyssey now carries. They beam the rest of the crew down to a planet to 'gate home, then join in battle with their pursuers.

All too soon, the Odyssey's shields fail. With a killer blast from an Ori ship incoming, Carter desperately activates an Asgard time-dilation field. The Ori blast seems to freeze as time slows down for SG-1 and Landry. Outside, only seconds will pass as years go by for them.

Over the next few weeks, Carter searches for a way to escape that final Ori blast, but even the vast wisdom of the Asgard contains no solutions. Asgard technology can, however, provide unlimited food, water and oxygen. Sustained by this, the team endures a weary existence as months slowly turn into years. They cultivate new skills, refine old ones, and stand by each other through bouts of frustration and despair. Carter immerses herself in a near-impossible task: discovering how to reverse time so she could turn back the clock on their lonely fate. Daniel and Vala, meanwhile, dare to begin an intense romance that matures into committed love.

Many decades later, with the team elderly and Landry long dead, Carter's lifetime of research pays off: she discovers how to turn back time and save the Odyssey from its enemies. One member of the team, however, must remain old in order to carry that information back to the past. Teal'c, whose long Jaffa lifespan means that he has aged more slowly than his friends, volunteers. Carter initiates her plan and, in a blaze of action, time flies backward for everyone but Teal'c. Just as the Ori fire the fatal shot, Teal'c executes Carter's escape maneuver, sending the Odyssey safely into hyperspace.

Back home, although SG-1 burns with curiosity to know what this possible timeline held in store for them, Teal'c dares say nothing about the decades that only he remembers. Daniel, Carter, Mitchell and Vala must turn their faces toward their new futures. With their next mission awaiting them, the five teammates gear up and, together, step through the Stargate once more.

Comment

By syfyfan

Millions of years ago in the Ori galaxy, an Alteran invented an Ark of Truth that would force the Ori people to see that their dogmatic faith was not the only valid path. When the Alterans decided for moral reasons not to use the Ark but rather to leave that galaxy, they left the Ark behind.

In the present time, Daniel leads SG-1 on a search for the Ark, which he has learned about from visions apparently left by Merlin. Their search on Dakara turns up nothing, but in the process they meet Tomin, who joins their quest. Tomin suggests Daniel's vision is of a place called Ortus Mallum in the Ori galaxy. On the possibility the Ark is there, Odyssey travels through the Supergate, with Mitchell at the helm and IOA operative James Marrick overseeing the mission.

Once in the Ori galaxy, SG-1 learns Ortus Mallum is on the same planet as Celestis and the sacred City of the Gods. They find it and begin to search the ruins buried in the forest. On the ship, acting on orders from the IOA, Marrick programs the Asgard core to create a replicator, which he intends to unleash on the Ori ships. The program succeeds, but the replicator is let loose on Odyssey. Equally bad, with the core active, the ship is detectable by Ori motherships. Mitchell, Carter, and the crew turn their focus to shutting down the replicators and turning off the core. Too soon, Ori motherships converge on Odyssey, and they must jump to hyperspace to get away, leaving the rest of the team on the planet.

There, directed by another vision, the team finds the Ark, but soon after, Ori soldiers find them and attack. Teal'c is left for dead, and Daniel, Vala, Tomin, are captured and taken with the Ark over the mountains to the City of the Gods. Teal'c wakes and begins the long trek over the mountains to the Plains of Celestis. In the dungeons in the City of the Gods, Daniel, Vala, and Tomin are tortured by the Doci and Priors.

On Odyssey the replicators are multiplying; they break into Marrick's jail cell and overtake him. Mitchell finds the queen replicator but is stopped from destroying it by the human-hybrid Marrick. They begin a long and bloody fight while Carter searches for a shut-down code.

Teal'c reaches the Plains of Celestis with the aid of an Ascended who heals him. In the city, Vala meets Adria, who admits the Ori were killed by Merlin's weapon, but reveals she has assumed all of their powers for herself.

Morgan Le Fay appears to Daniel in his cell; she has been impersonating Merlin. She refuses to help further, but tells Daniel they need only use the Ark on one Prior: the "truth" will travel from there throughout the galaxy. Morgan leaves just as Teal'c arrives.

Reunited, Teal'c, Daniel, Vala and Tomin try to power the Ark, but are interrupted by the Doci and Adria. Vala distracts Adria, and Daniel and Teal'c are able to activate the Ark. Its effect envelopes the Doci and through him travels throughout the Ori galaxy, making the Priors stop believing in the Ori. Without her followers, Adria is much weakened. When Morgan arrives to fight her, they are evenly matched; they enter battle in their ascended forms and leave.

The Ark also saves the Odyssey and her crew. By this time, they have shut down the replicators and defeated Marrick, but the ship is stalled in space and under Ori attack. The Priors' exposure via the Doci halts their attack moments before they destroy the Odyssey.

Odyssey returns home; the SGC activates the Ark in the Milky Way, neutralizing all the Ori armies there. Tomin returns home to lead his people into their new lives, and SG-1 embarks on a new adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucycat View Post
                      I'd like to think there are plenty trips to the gutter after marriage!! I mean, we both know they are adventurous types!
                      *tee-hee & wiping tears from eyes* I just never considered it 'gutter' if they are married (expected...highly encouraged...)...oh well, maybe my mind is in the gutter anyway...

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      I'm here. I've just been taking care of my mother who broke both wrists this weekend.
                      Here's summaries for the rest of the episodes of S10 and The Ark of Truth.
                      Tallon, Family Ties, Goodbye Mother
                      I liked Tallon, but the other two were not my favorites. We didn't even manage to get rid of Adria! I was surprised to see the comedian that was playing Vala's father (he's a regular guest on Leno)...and while that was amusing on an 'Urgo' kind of level, he made Vala's antics look tame. That's all for now.
                      sigpic
                      sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Unending
                        Carter immerses herself in a near-impossible task: discovering how to reverse time so she could turn back the clock on their lonely fate. Daniel and Vala, meanwhile, dare to begin an intense romance that matures into committed love.
                        Back home, although SG-1 burns with curiosity to know what this possible timeline held in store for them, Teal'c dares say nothing about the decades that only he remembers. Daniel, Carter, Mitchell and Vala must turn their faces toward their new futures. With their next mission awaiting them, the five teammates gear up and, together, step through the Stargate once more.
                        This ep left me very, very sad. My spouse and I looked at each other at the end and said "That's the best they could come up with for a final ep?" I did think the solution of having Teal'c remain old was clever, if convienient. No Jack. And nobody mentions him in the entire ep. Really? The man went with them when they went to deploy the anti-Ori device, but we couldn't get him on the last ep?

I can't begin to tell you how the death of the entire Asgard race tore at my heart. Going back to 'Fragile Balance' it was implied that Jack's DNA was the solution to their cloning problem, but that route was never explored by TPTB. Did we really need to destroy the ENTIRE race? It nearly made me cry.

Daniel's "rant" at Vala for trying to seduce him turning into physical expressions of love seemed forced and out of character. Even though I don't mind Vala, and I could imagine something growing between them (sorry hlndncr), the scene moved to fast and was too disjointed.

Sam growing old without Jack. *deep depression -for me that is*

Ark of Truth
                        On the ship, acting on orders from the IOA, Marrick programs the Asgard core to create a replicator, which he intends to unleash on the Ori ships. The program succeeds, but the replicator is let loose on Odyssey. Equally bad, with the core active, the ship is detectable by Ori motherships. Mitchell, Carter, and the crew turn their focus to shutting down the replicators and turning off the core. Too soon, Ori motherships converge on Odyssey, and they must jump to hyperspace to get away, leaving the rest of the team on the planet.
                        On Odyssey the replicators are multiplying; they break into Marrick's jail cell and overtake him. Mitchell finds the queen replicator but is stopped from destroying it by the human-hybrid Marrick. They begin a long and bloody fight while Carter searches for a shut-down code.
                        The Ark also saves the Odyssey and her crew. By this time, they have shut down the replicators and defeated Marrick, but the ship is stalled in space and under Ori attack. The Priors' exposure via the Doci halts their attack moments before they destroy the Odyssey.
                        Odyssey returns home; the SGC activates the Ark in the Milky Way, neutralizing all the Ori armies there. Tomin returns home to lead his people into their new lives, and SG-1 embarks on a new adventure.
                        Visually the filmography was beautiful. I was so pleased (the opening credits thrilled me). My favorite part was the near-rebirth of the replicators and Sam's battle to neutrilize them. The human hybrid thing was creepy and creative (the replicators hadn't done that before). The 'Ark' seemed a little of a convient way to finish the Ori. I did like Morgan engaging Adria in eternal battle like Oma did to Anubis.
                        sigpic
                        sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

ummm...was I supposed to use spoilers on that?????
                          I'm sorry! Please forgive!
                          sigpic
                          sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
                            ummm...was I supposed to use spoilers on that?????
                            I'm sorry! Please forgive!
                            No reason for spoilers. You are discussing Stargate and Sam/Jack. That's what this thread is for.

Comment

OK Shippers, we're going to give this a try. Not sure how will go over, but remember it's all in fun!!!

Summary
                              Between June 23 and July 7 nominations for favorite Sam/Jack stories will be accepted on the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread in the following categories:

Overall Favorites
                              Long (50,000+ words)
                              Medium (Between 5,000 and 50,000 words)
                              Short (Up to 5,000 words)

The Three Pillars of Ship
                              Angst
                              Fluff
                              Gutter

Specialties
                              Crossover
                              AU
                              Team
                              TAG
                              Holiday

On July 10 you will find a complete list of nominations on the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread and the Sam/Jack Ship Appreciation Thread.

Between July 10 and July 25 you may vote for your favorite story in each category.
                              One vote per person, per category.
                              Send your votes by PM to hlndncr on GW Forum.

All nominations will be listed on the Ship Day Thread on July 28.
                              Favorites will be announced throughout the celebration.

Before you ask me questions read the complete rules, definitions, and other details below. (Then when you are more confused than before ask away, but you should know that I'm making this all up as I go and I'm very arbitrary. )

Spoiler:
                              Category Definitions

All stories must be rated for essentially a general audience. No M ratings. (I can’t link to them on the Forum and I want to keep this to the broadest possible audience.)

Favorit Overall Fic

Long (50,000 + words)
                              May be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. A series of stand alone stories combined into one multi-chapter/multi-volume set can be nominated as a single work in this category. Can be nominated in other categories.

Medium (Between 5,000 and 50,000 words)
                              Stories may be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. Can be nominated in other categories.

Short (Up to 5,000 words)
                              Stories may be single or multi-chapter, and address any topic. Can be nominated in other categories.

The Pillars of Ship

Stories may be single or multi-chapter, of any length. Shiptionary definitions will be used as the basic guidelines for each category.

Angst
                              “One of the three pillars of shipdom. Gives its name to a cavern, rumoured to be a dark, scary (or comforting, depending on your point of view) place. Denizens of the Angst Cavern emerge occasionally, blinking at the light, before retreating to their home of pain and torment. Signs of angst include long (and longing) looks and quickly restrained attempts at touching. Mis- or lack of communication plays a large part.”

Fluff
                              “The second of the three pillars of shipdom, giving its name to a cloud, where everything is happy and light and full of cake. Food for Fluff Cloud dwellers is rare outside of fanfic, sadly, but can be found if you look hard enough, and often include hugs and touchage. The sound of fluff is 'squee'.”

Gutter
                              “The third pillar of shipdom, and a place in which to splash, either on occasion or with great frequency, depending on your tastes. A well-trained gutter dweller has the ability to 'gutterise' (see below) almost any situation by finding the potentially non-PG implications. Not to be confused with smut, which is what happens when the gutter turns into an abyss.”

Specialties
                              Stories may be single or multi-chapter of any length.

Crossover
                              The placement of one or more otherwise discrete fictional characters, settings, or universes into the context of a Sam/Jack story. Crossovers from any fandom, including Stargate spinoffs (SGA or SGU) will be accepted.

AU
                              Any story that does not fit within the current Stargate cannon (with no end of story reset). Any pre-Threads, Sam/Jack relationship (screw the regs) will be considered non-cannon; however, a Sam/Jack post-Threads relationship will be accepted as cannon (and therefore not necessarily AU). The published Stargate novels will not be considered cannon. The basics of the original movie (it gets murky when you look at the details) is cannon. Sam and Jack meeting (unless it is a brief encounter in passing) and having a relationship before Children of the Gods is not cannon.

Team Fic
                              Stories focus on team interaction and contain significant participation by all members of SG-1 (whichever incarnation being used) while still including important references to the Sam/Jack ship.

TAG
                              Must be based in or around a specific Stargate episode or movie. Can be set pre-, post-, or during referenced source material.

Holiday
                              Since many of our Ship celebrations take place around the holidays, we have many excellent holiday themed fics to choose from. Any holiday, including the more obscure choices (like Pi Day), will be accepted. The holiday must play a significant role in the story, mere reference to a holiday is not sufficient.

Eligibility
                              1. Any fic published (on any site) through 2010. (I’m leaving out 2011 in case we want to do this again for just new fics.)
                              a. Multi-chapter works of which any portion was published by December 31, 2010 may qualify, even if not completed until 2011 (must be marked complete before being nominated).
                              b. For multi-chapter/multi-volume works where the author has specified that each chapter/story stands alone, only those portions of the work which were published before January 1, 2011 qualify and each chapter will be treated as an individual story, except in the Overall Long Fic category where the entire work may be nominated as a single story. Please specify the volume/chapter when nominating and voting.
                              2. Must be pro-Sam/Jack Ship (happy ending not required, for the Angst lovers).
                              3. Must follow all category guidelines. Any questions or ambiguities will be resolved at the discretion of the Awards Committee (me).
                              4. Stories may be entered in multiple categories as long as all category guidelines are met.
                              5. Stories must be available for public reading on the internet. (If an author has taken a story down or the link is no longer available, even if you have a copy saved on your hard drive and it is the best Sam/Jack story ever written, it’s still not eligible.)
                              6. All stories must be in English. (Sorry to our non-English writers. I’m sure you have some great stories. Sadly, not enough of us can read them.)

The Process

Nominations
                              1. The nominations period will commence today and close on July 7.
                              2. Anyone may nominate as many stories as they would like by any author (including your own stories) during the nominations period.
                              a. Authors will not be contacted personally. All stories must be published on the web for public viewing and therefore discussion, sharing, critique and voting on those stories must be expected. (Be polite!)
                              b. Stories will, however, be removed from consideration if requested by the author.
                              3. Nominations must be posted to the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread by 11:59 pm U.S. EST of the closing date.
                              a. Must include the author, title, and a working link to the story.
                              b. Category or categories the story is being nominated for must be clearly specified.
                              4. After the end of the nominations period the Awards Committee (me) will make an extremely cursory review of all nominated stories for eligibility. All decisions of the Awards Committee (me) are final.

Voting
                              1. All nominations will be listed by category on the Sam/Jack Ship Appreciation Thread and the Jack/Sam Fic Recs Thread on July 10.
                              2. Voting will begin as soon as all nominations to all categories have been posted and the Awards Committee (me) states that voting is open.
                              3. Voting will close on July 25.
                              4. Votes will be accepted by PM to the Awards Committee (me) until 11:59 pm U.S. EST of the closing date. (I promise to clean out my inbox.)
                              5. One vote per person, per category. (Choose your favorite story.)
                              6. Votes must clearly state the category, story, and author.
                              7. Votes may be cast for an author’s own work. (Hey, if your own story is your favorite who am I to say otherwise?!)
                              8. All votes will be kept confidential.
                              9. In the case of a tie, the stories will be declared co-favorites. (We can have a run-off in November.)

Presentation
                              1. Presentations will be made during the July 28, 2011 Ship Day celebration on the Ship Day Thread.
                              2. All nominated works will be listed on the Ship Day Thread.
                              3. Favorites will be announced throughout the celebration.

Comment

My thoughts on the last few episodes of SG-1 and The Ark of Truth.

Talion
                                I really hate this episode. I’m not a fan of Jaffa episodes in general, but this one is just bloody and pointless. There have been other attacks like this (Kreshtar in Changeling for example) and Teal’c hasn’t gone off half-cocked on a crazed vendetta. He’s just so reckless and out of character, even for a Jaffa revenge thing. On one of the GW podcasts thy talked about how this episode would have been so much more compelling if Teal’c were motivated by the death of someone we the audience actually cared about (rather than his long dead mother that we never knew) like Rya’c and Ka’ryn. I definitely would have found that much more compelling.

But I also hate the way SG-1 and especially General Landry didn’t stand up to the IOA and back him up.

While there is absolutely nothing shippy in the ep, I do like to point out moments where Jack could have been around. Here, Teal’c is recovering from his injuries for a couple of weeks. I think it’s reasonable to assume Jack would have stopped in to visit Teal’c (and Bra’tac), and stayed with Sam of course.

Family Ties
                                I hate this episode because it is ridiculous, but not particularly funny and it focuses on Vala’s past, but not the interesting part—ie her time as Qatesh and being freed by the Tok’ra and left to fend for herself.

So we have Sam shopping at Victoria Secret. (Hmmm, wonder what she bought and if Jack will like it? ) And she’s searching the internet and comes across Jasic’s stardust scam. What was she looking for that would bring up that ad? Maybe searching for an anniversary present for Jack? I know, she was going to name a star for him!

There was also a missed opportunity for at least some hint toward confirmation. When Jasic asks Sam out her reaction is all wrong. She says, “I’m an incredibly busy person and I think you’re a jerk” (or something to that effect). What she should have said is, “I’m married!” or at least, “Eww, you’re my friend’s father! And anyway I’m not available!”

Dominion
                                I admit I don’t get this one. The whole story is really convoluted, and I prefer not mixing my bad guys. I think they diluted both the Ba’al and Adria characters to very little purpose. They also really did the Tok’ra a disservice. We haven’t seen them or really had them mentioned since Jacob died at the end of Season 8. Now they say that the Tok’ra are willing to take Adria as a host by force, in contravention to all their deepest beliefs, because it’s a big enough payoff in this case. (I also don’t know where Adria and the priors are getting their powers from if the Ori are dead.)

Unending
                                I want to like this episode, but there are so many things that were handled badly that I just can’t.

First, the mass suicide of the Asgard race on the very last episode of the show just makes me mad! It was ridiculously abrupt and entirely senseless. After all these years, they deserved better. And quite frankly the cavalier slaughter of entire races, through suicide or genocide, in the later years of the franchise is quite disturbing.

And of course, it’s entirely implausible that Thor would not insist that Jack be there. He is the Asgard’s favorite human. He was the one who first obtained recognition that mankind had the potential to become the fifth race. They would never pass on such an important legacy without him there.

And really, why did they have to die anyway? If they couldn’t clone their bodies anymore, why not ascend.? Then they could take on the Ori! Or they could have stored their consciousnesses in the computer core (as they did when they left Hala after it was overrun by the Replicators) and left info for us to continue working on finding them a solution to their genetic problems.

Then there’s the Ori showing up in the Asgard galaxy. Why? They were content to be in their own galaxy until Daniel and Vala stirred up the hornets’ nest. Now they are after the Asgard galaxy as well as the Milky Way? And if the new Asgard weapons installed on the Odyssey are capable of destroying an Ori ship, why didn’t the Asgard ships have any success during the battle in Camelot?

Then there’s the time dilation storyline on board the ship. I generally like time stories, but this one is boring and depressing. (And I despise music montages; I consider it lazy storytelling.) What a horrible way to go out! The D/V stuff is just painful to watch; they are so abusive and manipulative with one another. Not only does it make me hate both characters but it also makes me mad that their ship got so much screen time and we get nothing! And why did Sam keep Landry and SG-1 on board? Why didn’t she keep anyone on board (except for maybe Daniel) who could have actually been helpful?

Then there’s Teal’c who really got the short straw. He has to remember all those years. And he’s like 154 years old now! That’s really old even for a Jaffa, especially one without a symbiote to extend his life. And I’m not getting into the whole Sam/Teal’c relationship. I don’t see it. I think they always were just really good friends, and neither would betray Jack (who is not dead and gone because only a few seconds pass for him). Besides, that makes the situation even worse for Teal’c and I like him too much to imagine that.

I think it’s significant that when Sam is ready to give up she goes to Daniel. They have always understood one another on an intuitive level. I also think that Daniel’s one true love is Sha’re (and in my world he never loved anyone else). So he would understand Sam’s loneliness and longing for Jack.

Finally, we come to the string of clichés at the end of the episode. Again it reminds me that Jack should be there, because that was always one of his things.

Ark of Truth
                                I liked this movie when I first saw it. I guess I wasn’t expecting much, and I knew I wouldn’t get anything shippy; so I just enjoyed it for the adventure. But it’s not one I’ll go back to because let’s face it the story is nothing special and it really adds very little to our characters.

Must take a moment to say once again that I love Tim Guinea. The scene between Teal’c and Tomin is absolutely my favorite part of the whole movie. And once again, I really think that Vala’s character benefits from being around Tomin. In my head, Vala realizes what a good thing she gave up and she leaves SG-1 to be with Tomin, who unfathomably still loves her (because he’s just that kind of loyal), and together they to usher in a golden age in the Ori galaxy.

But really this story suffers from a lack of imagination. In the end they are searching for a magic box that will solve all their problems. Even though we’ve never heard it mentioned before, SG-1 knows all about it somehow. And after not really much effort they do find the box and it does solve all their problems. And that’s the original part.

Fully half the movie is made up of retreads. Mitchell battles the Replicators and Daniel talks another ascended being into sacrificing herself to battle evil for all eternity. (And they say Sam is hard on men! At least her beaus usually die a quick death. The women associated with Daniel are all left to suffer.)

Meanwhile, Teal’c is off on a walkabout and Sam is locked in the control room (with the door welded shut!) and adds nothing to the plot really, and she continues to act like she is happy to not have command or have her talents fully utilized.

Then there’s the scene at the end where she brings Mitchell cookies and she’s all happy and bubbly. I choose to believe that it is because the bad guys are all whopped and that means she will soon be meeting up with Jack at the cabin for some fishin’.

Comment

Working...
                                X