Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
    When Sam first sees Kerry with Jack she looks at the very least confused and a little surprised, if not jealous. It may seem unfair for Sam to appear jealous when she sees Jack with another woman considering her relationship with , but it has to seem rather out of the blue for Sam to see Jack laughing and smiling with Kerry like that. I think she is definitely fishing for information when she goes into Jack’s office and Jack shuts her down or at least brushes it aside. I’m sure that’s nothing he wants to be discussing with Sam. Which is an interesting turn about, because Sam is always discussing her relationship with with Jack. Kind of unfair of Sam really, but I guess if Sam has convinced herself that Jack doesn’t care about her that way, it would seem natural for Sam to want to at least talk to Jack as a friend (and maybe hope he would do the same). Shows how much I think she isn’t ready to really let go of Jack.
    For me, I think Sam is very jealous at seeing Jack interact warmly with another woman but I think she knows at this point that she still loves Jack, is having serious doubts about Pete but is still trying to convince herself that she's going to marry him (because she's given her word that she will).

In the scene with Jacob and Sam in the commissary it sounds to me like Sam is trying to convince herself that marrying is a good idea. She wants validation from outside because she’s having a hard time giving it to herself.

I never understood what Jacob meant by “I know how happy he makes you.” Jacob hasn’t been around for months. By all indications he didn’t even know about until just before they were introduced, and Sam looked anything but happy. Was that just a backhanded swipe at Sam’s obvious stubborn refusal to acknowledge her true feelings? And why lie about Selmak? Is Jacob just trying to placate Sam to end the conversation? I have to admit, I’ve never really understood that exchange.
    I think Jacob has been told by Sam that he makes her happy but I do think Jacob's comment is double-edged; he acknowledges on one hand that Sam is telling him she's happy but he's truthfully acknowledging that he knows exactly how happy Pete makes her which is not very. I do think he lies about Selmak to cover his own lack of enthusiasm about Pete and to try and make Sam feel better.

I do see Jacob pushing her in this scene and I don’t have a problem with it character-wise because Jacob has always pushed Sam. That and the innocent act afterward is very him. And I don’t see Jack as being mean. I think he is actually doing his best to be supportive while staying out of it as much as possible. Sam is clearly avoiding.
    I agree. I don't think Jacob is being mean so much as he's trying to provoke Sam and Jack into facing their feelings for each other and about the imminent wedding. Jack always looks uncomfortable to me and quick to try and retreat from the field.
    Brief Daniel interlude. Why does Anubis want Daniel to remember what happened the last time? Is it just his Goa’uldish nature wanting to gloat? I don’t get it. I’m sure he believed Daniel would be incapable of stopping him just like the last time or he wouldn’t have done it. After all, it was Daniel’s realization of what was really going on that led to Anubis’s ultimate demise.
    I think part of it is Anubis wanting to gloat - see I killed everybody and you can't stop me!! And part of it is to ruin Oma's image in Daniel's eyes just because he can.

Why did Kerry ask Sam if she wanted to stay? Politeness? Or maybe she wants more time to observe what is really going on? Kerry does seem awfully perceptive, figuring out Jack and Sam’s relationship in just a few moments of interaction. (And now I’m going to give some credit here so take note (it won’t happen again). I get the feeling never actually got to see Jack and Sam together. By unspoken mutual agreement I think Sam kept those two apart.) But I suppose Kerry does have to be suspicious just by nature of the situation—Sam is at Jack’s house and clearly not there on business.
    I think Kerry must have realised Jack had his reasons for wanting it to be secret beyond simply discretion. And I think her invite is politeness and a sincere wish to get to know someone Jack is close to; to have someone Jack is close to get to know her. But I think both the sense she had interrupted and Jack and Sam's reactions to the reveal of Kerry's relationship with Jack tell her everything she needs to know about the state of play.

I think Pete did see Jack and Sam interact a couple of times but I think it was far and few between. I think Pete knew there was something going on with Sam (someone else she loved; that she had doubts about Pete himself) but possibly hadn't seen enough of Jack and Sam together in a context where he would draw conclusions where two plus two equals four.

I do think the scenes with Daniel are him to his core. He won’t let wrong go by unchallenged. I think it’s what makes even the others acknowledge his potential, and hence why they chose to send him back instead of letting him die after Oma was gone. (A horrible end for her btw that just really rubs wrong against my concept of redemption. And talk about a curse. I think Daniel’s women have had it far worse than any of Sam’s men!)
    I think Oma's punishment for breaking the rules and Ascending people before their time and in particular ascending Anubis is harsh but appropriate. She was responsible for Ascending Anubis; she had to take some responsibility for all the evil he did with that knowledge he gained thereafter. It was her mess; she should have been the one to clean it up.
    sigpic
    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      Catherine's neice

I always find it a bit weird that it's only Daniel at the funeral given Catherine knew Sam, Jack and Teal'c too. I always think they were all meant to go but there was some last minute emergency and only Daniel got to go as he was the one giving the eulogy.

As far as the neice is concerned, I don't why but I've always thought of her as the daughter of one of Catherine's cousins (with the assumption that her father had siblings who had children who had children). Quite often if cousins are close the relationship is sibling-like. Plus I know some of the cousins I'm not particularly close to still have their young children calling me Aunt (which is a depressing note on my age).

Sam, Catherine and meeting Daniel

From canon, Sam worked on the Stargate programme for a long while getting the dialling device to work and thus had to have known Catherine. As someone has already mentioneed they greet each other very warmly in TOT.

My personal fanon is that the Air Force (General West) tells Catherine he's going to start pulling personnel. Catherine goes off to Chicago soon after this conversation and presents her offer to Daniel. On her return, she finds Sam has been transferred out as the dialling programme work is completed and the Air Force require her skills elsewhere. Daniel arrives; Jack arrives; Daniel solves the seventh symbol. Events of the movie transpire. Daniel stays behind; Jack comes back, tells them to bury the gate and immediately retires again. Sam gets reassigned back to the Stargate to try other addresses (she says she and her team tried to dial other planets in COTG). Hammond is placed in charge of the Stargate programme. Sam works on alternate uses of the Stargate (1969) but eventually is reassigned to the Pentagon to another scientific programme. A few months later, Apophis attacks the SGC...and we're into the show.

I also tend to view the movie as AU (mainly because of the different actors) so things are the same-ish but not quite. But there is a blonde woman in the control room during the dialling sequence in the movie who in my head is "Dr Samantha Carter" (as she's in civvies).
      I really like your take on all these issues Rachel.

I hadn't considered treating the movie as an au, but that makes perfect sense.

Comment

I think Oma's punishment for breaking the rules and Ascending people before their time and in particular ascending Anubis is harsh but appropriate. She was responsible for Ascending Anubis; she had to take some responsibility for all the evil he did with that knowledge he gained thereafter. It was her mess; she should have been the one to clean it up.
        I agree with you on this. But I still consider never ending battle (especially when I think the others could step in and free her from this fate) is exceptionally harsh.

Spoiler:
        This comes from my Christian theological perspective that if we all received what we deserved we would also be condemned to perpetual torment, but thankfully we have a benevolent God who intervenes and provides for our ultimate redemption on the condition of sincere repentence.

Comment

I have nothing new to add, just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading everyone's reviews and comments for Season 8!

I don't have season 9-10 (actually, I pretend they don't exist), so I won't volunteer to do a review, but I will read... and comment on whatever is posted!

Comment

Season 9/10
            I would suggest we go for an abbreviated version and only review relevant episodes so I would say:

S9:
            Avalon 1 and 2
            Origin
            Beachhead
            EDM
            Ripple Effect

S10:
            Uninvited
            The Quest 1 and 2
            Line in the Sand
            Road Not Taken
            The Shroud
            Bounty
            Bad Guys
            Unending
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
              I have to say, personally I don't think the ending is ambiguous at all. It's just not in-your-face obvious. But this is a couple that have never been in-your-face obvious - the entire ship is built on things half-said, shared looks, careful words that have more meaning if you look beneath the surface, and IMO I think the way it ends in Threads and Moebius is entirely in keeping with that. Jack promises Sam 'always' and they go fishing, and thereafter there is a change in their demeanor and behaviour with one another - clues every bit as strong as those that we shippers have taken the entire way through. Yes it would have been nice to have seen a kiss at that point, but for me at least, there was no need for them to get it on there on the jetty to know that things were resolved. And yes I wish that as the show had progressed the PTB hadn't been quite so determined to skirt round the edges of their relationship and had just let one of them come out and say it, but again, the clues were there (seriously, who puts a photo of them with their boss in a flowery frame??). But for me those are just things that would have been nice to see, but I can live quite happily without them Always + fishing is, as Jack says, the perfect ending
              Have to say I agree. I think the ending in Threads/Moebius fit Sam and Jack perfectly. If they had just left it alone rather than trying to shoehorn in S9/S10 it would have been a perfectly satisfying ending for me. It still is for the most part, as in my universe S9/S10 don't really exist.
              sigpic

Comment

Season 9/10
                I would suggest we go for an abbreviated version and only review relevant episodes so I would say:

S9:
                Avalon 1 and 2
                Origin
                Beachhead
                EDM
                Ripple Effect

S10:
                Uninvited
                The Quest 1 and 2
                Line in the Sand
                Road Not Taken
                The Shroud
                Bounty
                Bad Guys
                Unending
                Quoting myself to prompt whether anyone else has a view of what they want to do with Season 9 and 10?

Do we want to take a break for a little while and come back to S9 and 10 at Easter? Let the thread just discuss whatever it wants for a while (RL seems to be busy for everyone at the mo)?
                sigpic

Comment

Quoting myself to prompt whether anyone else has a view of what they want to do with Season 9 and 10?

Do we want to take a break for a little while and come back to S9 and 10 at Easter? Let the thread just discuss whatever it wants for a while (RL seems to be busy for everyone at the mo)?
                  I've been meaning to respond. I think this is a good plan, and I'm game for starting after Easter.

I would also like to again throw out the idea of doing a Sam in Atlantis discussion (generally, not episode by episode) and then review Continuum at the end of our S10 rewatch.

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me too. I'm about to go on holiday for 10 days anyway! I expect I'll drop in and out for the rest of the discussions
                    sigpic
                    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

sounds good to me as well Rachel
                      sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Sam, Catherine and meeting Daniel

From canon, Sam worked on the Stargate programme for a long while getting the dialing device to work and thus had to have known Catherine. As someone has already mentioned they greet each other very warmly in TOT....snipped for space.
                        I wrote a Campfire that alluded to Sam's knowing Catherine before she (Sam) came to the SGC.

And Hlndncr, loved your "rambling" thoughts.
                        Pol My Blog | My Fanfic | My FaceBook__ Sam: "Jack...please."

Comment

Thanks Pol. I think rambling is my specialty.

Comment

Howdie Shippers!!

Just popping in to drop off a gift. The next chapter of Going Under for anyone who might be interested. The fic is completed and will be updated every day or two.

Going Under chapter 4:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5925031/4/Going_Under

Hope you like it.

*chants to self: don't look don't look...*
                            *presses eyes tightly shut*
                            *runs out*
                            sigpic
                            Sig by AstraPerAspera and avatar by SamJackShipLover

Thanks Bekki

Comment

Hi Shippers,

I just finished reading the Fandemonium Stargate novel "Sunrise" and it has so much shippy-ness in it. A lot of Sam/Jack internal thought and slip-of-the-tongues around the fallout from the Beneath the Surface mind stamp. It always amazes me that when I find time to come to the S/J threads, no one discusses these novels. I actually re-read another Fandemonium novel "Survival of the Fitess" and was surprised at all the shippiness therein too! I think when I originally read it, I was so S/J obsessed that I wanted all out open declarations. But on looking back, that particular novel is accurate in having LOTS of undercurrents and moments that can't come to fruition but fit excellently within the cannon and timeline of what was happening during the timeline that the novel fits within the series. I mean if a book had some all out declaration/sex scene in the middle of a story based in seasons 1-7, the novel would then fall into fantasy/fanfiction and couldn't really be considered legit. If you all do know of a thread discussing the fandemonium novels, please direct me there???
                              sigpicRamonaThePest (you know, Henry Huggins' friend)

Comment

We've discussed the novels from time to time. I find them rather hit and miss. Some are well written and enjoyable. Others have serious character and plot problems. They also vary in the level of shippiness, and quite frankly don't hold a candle to the quality of story and ship you can get in fanfic, IMO.

But I've read pretty much all of the SG-1 novels. (I haven't read Survival of the Fittest because it's out of print, but I did notice it's available electronically. So maybe I'll be getting a Kindle for my birthday this year.) I just finished Homecoming (it's SGA but has a good does of Sam and Jack) and I'm reading Sunrise now. I plan on writing up my shippy musings on those books when I'm done (assuming I can find the time). And I'm happy to discuss them any time.

Comment

Working...
                                X