No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry I'm so late with this review. I've been sick all week and it's hard to concentrate. I hope this makes at least some sense.

Banner by Me

Summary
    SG1 are ambushed and rescued by a bunch of Amazon Jaffa Warrior Women. They will only negotiate with Sam because her reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside. Sam offers to help them be freed from the oppression of the goa’uld Molech, who has ordered the death of all female Jaffa born within his domain, by giving them tretonin. After an intense “discussion” (read foreplay) between Teal’c and the leader Ishta, she agrees to a trial. While some of the warrior women are sent to the SGC to try the tretonin, Chris Judge (being no dummy) writes himself some romance. He even gives Daniel a little love interest; although noticeably younger than the usual alien princess who falls for him. Jack, on the other hand—and somewhat to his chagrin—gets no action because CJ is also a shipper, and the Jaffa women seem to know he belongs to Sam.

But, there is some dissension in the ranks. After a cat fight between Ishta and one of her lieutenants that sadly for the men in the audience happens off screen, Ishta’s told that her other lieutenant has died because the tretonin didn’t work. Now in solidarity once again, Ishta and her warriors go off to ambush some Jaffa and procure a symbiote for the next girl in line who will shortly die without one.

The ambush is successful, but Ishta discovers that at least one of the Jaffa they have killed was a part of the Free Jaffa movement. She refuses to take the symbiote. The one who opposed her is almost killed. Eventually, with a lot of tears and touching moments, the little girl and the malcontent are saved and all of them are apparently put on tretonin and sent on their way with enough food and supplies to continue their fight for freedom for all Amazon Jaffa Warrior Women. And of course it ends with Teal’c getting some more lip action in the gateroom before Ishta departs.

Favorite Scene
    Sam tries to explain her “special relationship” with Jack.

Favorite Lines
    Wait, you don't s'pose that's why they want us, do you?
    To…to mate with? No, no, I don't think so.
    'Cos you know me, I'm all for helping people.
    Oh God!

Generally
    I’m not a big fan of Jaffa episodes, but this one would probably be my favorite. I like that it shows a different aspect of Jaffa society. It also isn’t just a Teal’c story. For me it has more of a team feel. Sam plays an important leadership role, Daniel pours on the charm and helps bring reconciliation at the end. Jack doesn’t do much I admit, but he doesn’t feel as absent to me as in many episodes of season 7. He is supporting his team.

I have to say that I think CJ is an excellent writer. The Changeling, which he also penned, was brilliant and this is a great follow-up. He had to find a group of Jaffa both brave enough and desperate enough to try the tretonin. These women fighting to save their children from a sentence of death was the perfect choice. The connection to earth history and mythology is also well placed as Molech was a god of the Ammonites in Old Testament times whose worship consisted of passing children through fire.

I also like how even the minor characters are interesting and well-rounded. For example, we see very little of Ka’lel but she comes back later to be the representative of the Ha’ktyl on the free Jaffa council. I buy this because she does appear to be someone of station and respect who helps us and maybe even takes Mala’s place as one of Ishta’s seconds at the end. It’s those little touches that make the world seem full and complete and I appreciate that about CJ’s writing.

One dynamic that I found interesting in this ep was between Sam and Teal’c. First, we see some rare friction. Teal’c is upset that the Ha’ktyl are killing other Jaffa to procure symbiotes and Sam takes their side. She feels an empathy for them that Teal’c doesn’t. He believes they should accept death (like Drey’ac) rather than do what they must to survive. Sam points out that they have been forced into the situation and are doing it to protect their children.

Sam a person Teal’c respects as a leader and warrior in her own right. Yet, it seems that it takes a little time and a push from Ishta (pointing out his own pride and some of his own cultural baggage) to grant the Ha’ktyl women an equal respect. But I do think that because of his association with Sam he does have a better perspective than most Jaffa on the value and strength these women can add to his cause.

Sam and Jack
    I think there are some interesting aspects of the ship presented in this episode.

The first thing I wonder is what made it so obvious to Mala that Sam and Jack were close? We don’t see much interaction between the two of them, but she clearly picks up on something that prompts her to ask about it later. And that just shows that these two aren’t doing a very good job of hiding their true feelings from anyone but each other.

There’s that little exchange when they are walking in the woods and Jack offers to “help.” Sam’s reaction is very unusual for her. She doesn’t try to hide her surprise and annoyance at his lame joke.

He’s annoyed when he is mostly ignored and Sam is the one that ends up being the one they want to deal with. I don’t think it’s because he doesn’t have confidence in Sam to handle things. A lot of times when they’re together he lets Sam do most of the talking (especially as he tends to run his mouth off or make earth cultural references no one understands). I think he just doesn’t like being out of the loop.

At any rate, by the time we get to Sam and Mala talking in the infirmary Mala has noticed there is something between them. Sam calls it a “special relationship,” which says to me that she doesn’t really know how to classify it or explain it but it is very important to her. She clearly sees it as more than the “mutual respect” Mala mentioned when she went straight to the disclaimer, “We aren’t . . . We don’t . . . ” (Fish?) I think Mala used the mutual respect line to give Sam an out when she became clearly uncomfortable. I don’t believe that’s all that Mala saw between Jack and Sam because she next turned the conversation to her lost love. Sam could certainly sympathize with a relationship that is forbidden by rank and station. But it also I think further bolsters Sam’s fear that love leads to terrible pain and loss. She could see herself in Mala’s place, and her heartbreak came from breaking the rules and choosing love over duty.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      Sorry I'm so late with this review. I've been sick all week and it's hard to concentrate. I hope this makes at least some sense.
      Get well soon *hugs*

Birthright

Generally

I'm very meh about this ep. As much as I like Jaffa episodes and CJ's writing, after the Warrior and The Changeling this one's a big let down for me. Ishta's a great character and I've come to like her very much but the ep is fairly cliche and there's something off about it.

S/J

The first thing I wonder is what made it so obvious to Mala that Sam and Jack were close? We don’t see much interaction between the two of them, but she clearly picks up on something that prompts her to ask about it later. And that just shows that these two aren’t doing a very good job of hiding their true feelings from anyone but each other.
      Ah, famous scene that makes me disagree with shippers and anti-shippers alike. Now that's something. You all see it as very shippy, and I...don't. Or to be more precise, for me Sam's reaction is what makes it shippy, not Mala's words. I believe her when she says she was talking about only about Sam and Jack's mutual respect for each other, because for her it must seem almost miraculous. She comes from the world when she was treated as a lesser being just because of her sex and where nobody even heard about equality and here comes a pair of strangers, warriors, man and woman, equal in every sense. What's more, the man not only treats the woman with respect but lets her take over even though he's the one in command. I think it's natural for Mala to pick up on their trust and familiarity - their closeness - and ask about it. She seemes a bit surprised when Sam starts to fumble with her answer.

Now, the fact that Sam immediately assumed that Mala must have seen something that made her think of less than professional relationship is shippy and tells me Sam's been thinking a lot about Jack and where this thing between them is going.

Finally, I don't believe that Sam and Jack would be so unprofessional as to let their feelings show during off-world mission. That would mean they indeed have a problem and lose control over it, and I don't think that's the case.

There’s that little exchange when they are walking in the woods and Jack offers to “help.” Sam’s reaction is very unusual for her. She doesn’t try to hide her surprise and annoyance at his lame joke.
      Maybe because this joke shows Jack's sexual interest, or at least thoughts of sexual nature, about other women? I'd be annoyed too.

I find Jack's humour very off in this one, more along the lines of what Vala would say.
      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
      sigpic
      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Birthright

EDIT: Hope you get better soon!

Generally

Out of all the Jaffa episodes, I think this is possibly my least favourite. Mainly I think because it's all a little too cliche. I much prefer the follow-up with Sacrifices.

Unsurprisingly for a CJ written script, Teal'c gets a girlfriend. And I will say that it's nice to see the subject of Drey'auc addressed in passing, and good to see a follow-up on tretonin.

Sam and Jack

I agree with Petra re the Mala & Sam conversation. I think Mala truly was commenting on the respect Jack afforded Sam in allowing her be the one to handle the negotiations and effectively lead in terms of a plan - asking the Hak'tyl warriors to try tretonin as an option. I also think Sam's response shows where her own thoughts about Jack are at that point - that she jumps to the conclusion that Mala means Sam and Jack have a romantic connection indicating that Sam's head is still struggling between what she wants and what they have.

Actually, I don't find Sam's look after Jack's comment about 'helping' particularly one of annoyance, I think she knows he's not serious. It kind of reminds me of Sacrifices when he looks at the girls walking by and she turns him back around. It's more of an acknowledgement of you're such a guy at times' - however, it's unusual IMO for Jack to be a typical guy in that respect of blatant ogling and sexual commentary as opposed to looks of warm appreciation (Kynthia pre cake) and flirting (Laira). We really don't see that alot (compared with McKay/Sheppard for instance where they comment about the relative hotness of the women they meet a lot) so I can't help ponder whether Jack is doing it deliberately to provoke a reaction of some kind from the woman he actually wants. Just a thought.

EDIT2: I'll hold off on the Evolution Pt1 review until tomorrow so we've got some time to debate BR. Hopefully that won't screw up the schedule too much.
        sigpic
        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Get well soon, hlndncr! Thanks for posting such a great review from your sickbed

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
          I agree with Petra re the Mala & Sam conversation. I think Mala truly was commenting on the respect Jack afforded Sam in allowing her be the one to handle the negotiations and effectively lead in terms of a plan - asking the Hak'tyl warriors to try tretonin as an option. I also think Sam's response shows where her own thoughts about Jack are at that point - that she jumps to the conclusion that Mala means Sam and Jack have a romantic connection indicating that Sam's head is still struggling between what she wants and what they have.
          I agree with this too. And I think it also goes along with what we get in Heroes, when Bregman asks her about their relationship and she has the same flustered reaction. Although Bregman was pushing more obviously than Mala who I agree didn't intend for Sam to take it that way at all, but the two reactions are very telling about Sam's feelings at this point.

Actually, I don't find Sam's look after Jack's comment about 'helping' particularly one of annoyance, I think she knows he's not serious. It kind of reminds me of Sacrifices when he looks at the girls walking by and she turns him back around. It's more of an acknowledgement of you're such a guy at times' - however, it's unusual IMO for Jack to be a typical guy in that respect of blatant ogling and sexual commentary as opposed to looks of warm appreciation (Kynthia pre cake) and flirting (Laira). We really don't see that alot (compared with McKay/Sheppard for instance where they comment about the relative hotness of the women they meet a lot) so I can't help ponder whether Jack is doing it deliberately to provoke a reaction of some kind from the woman he actually wants. Just a thought.
          I agree with this too - I've never seen annoyance in that reaction either, more eye-rolling

EDIT2: I'll hold off on the Evolution Pt1 review until tomorrow so we've got some time to debate BR. Hopefully that won't screw up the schedule too much.
          Should be fine - we'll have the weekend to talk about Evolution and then I'm due to do Grace on Monday. If the discussions are going well I'll hold off until Tuesday and we'll gradually get back on schedule
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

This adds nothing to the discussion, really, but I watched the episode again today and noticed that when Sam was talking about giving tretonin to the Haktyl, Jack says something about it having worked on "all two of them", meaning (IMO) Teal'c and Bratac. If I remember correctly, Ry'ac is taking the stuff as well, and I'm assuming that maybe Raknor and a few other fellow Jaffa rebels by now, so there are more than two tretonin success stories by the time of Birthright.

Like I said, meaningless babble here.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              This adds nothing to the discussion, really, but I watched the episode again today and noticed that when Sam was talking about giving tretonin to the Haktyl, Jack says something about it having worked on "all two of them", meaning (IMO) Teal'c and Bratac. If I remember correctly, Ry'ac is taking the stuff as well, and I'm assuming that maybe Raknor and a few other fellow Jaffa rebels by now, so there are more than two tretonin success stories by the time of Birthright.

I thought that Rya'c had a symbiote. They might not have ditched the symbiote unless there was a need--going on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. But who knows? I'm probably wrong--it's happening FAR too often, lately!
              sigpic
              My Stories: FFdotNet
              My Stories AO3
              Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                I thought that Rya'c had a symbiote. They might not have ditched the symbiote unless there was a need--going on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. But who knows? I'm probably wrong--it's happening FAR too often, lately!
                Wasn't it Orpheus, when Bratac and Ryac were prisoners, that Bratac was sharing his tretonin with Ryac, and about to run out by the time the SGC sent the rescue party?

And somebody else besides me has to be wrong occasionally!

Comment

I don't think it's ever stated that Rya'c is on tretonin - I think the allusion in Orpheus is that Rya'c isn't because he's only worried about Bra'tac's supply and assumedly if Rya'c was on it and had some, he would have offered what he had to Bra'tac. And there is nothing stated about other Jaffa being on it although Rak'nor and others are aware of it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wasn't it Orpheus, when Bratac and Ryac were prisoners, that Bratac was sharing his tretonin with Ryac, and about to run out by the time the SGC sent the rescue party?

And somebody else besides me has to be wrong occasionally!
                    I don't think that Bra'tac was sharing. I think that he was rationing it just for himself. If he were rationing it, I don't think that Ry'ac would have missed any--Bra'tac would have given it all to him and not taken any for himself.
                    sigpic
                    My Stories AO3

Comment

Banner by Jasmina

Evolution Part 1

Episode Summary

Teal'c and Bra'tac are investigating a meeting between two minor system lords when they discover a massacre. They are warned to leave by the First Prime of Ramius who is injured and dying but before they can, they are set about by a sinister and imposing figure in black armour. They fight back and the enemy soldier collapses.

Back at the SGC, they discuss the possibility that the soldier was an Ashrak. Sam brings in Dad to help out with the alien autopsy. Things get icky when the guy in the suit turns out to be a pasty-faced monster implanted with a Goa'uld who they conclude was bred to be a new foot soldier for the Goa'uld in the wake of the rebel Jaffa movement. Sam breaks the news to a perturbed Teal'c that he didn't kill the guy after all but the guy collapsed from heart failure.

They have also discovered a unique energy signature in the cells which is similar to that of a sarcophagus. Selmak tells them of a device that was more powerful than a sarcophagus that could animate non-living tissue found by a Goa'uld called Telchak. Daniel's grandfather handily used to have the fountain of youth as one of his obsessions and Daniel pulls out a map which is written in ancient Goa'uld - something Daniel seems to have missed (maybe his memory is still wonky).

They all seem to jump to the conclusion that Anubis is behind the soldier because Anubis originally defeated Telchak, and Daniel requests permission to go off and find the device in Honduras. Bizarrely, rather than giving Daniel a military escort of some kind (Jack for instance or Lorne or Dixon or anyone), Hammond gives him Bill Lee. The two scientists head out to Honduras meet up with Rogelio their guide and go off searching.

Back at the SGC, everyone but Jack who is MIA decides they need to capture a live soldier. Jack finally arrives and Sam updates him on the plan. While Lee and Daniel continue their Indiana Jones adventure, Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Bra'tac along with SG3 head out to Ramius's planet to trap themselves a Supersoldier. Plan A doesn't work; neither does plan B. Nothing kills or slows down the soldier who walks on as though it's a day in the park clearly intent on killing Ramius.

The SG team get thrown into prison (Reynolds is not in good shape) and despite Jack and Teal'c throwing all their charm at the guards and at Ramius himself, they remain locked up. Until the soldier kills Ramius and then one of the guards finally cracks and lets them out. They obtain a cargo ship and beam the soldier into the cargo hold, venting the life support to knock it out.

Things haven't gone so well for Daniel. He and Lee have found the device hidden in an underground temple but despite surviving the booby trap, have been captured by rebels. They are marched through the jungle into Nicaragua and their guide is shot when he tries to escape.

As the SGC interrogates the soldier and learns that a) they're right and Anubis is behind it all and b) its home planet, they all worry they haven't heard from Daniel. Quite rightly, as Daniel and Lee are imprisoned and being threatened by the rebels. The SGC gets news of this and...to be continued/end of part one.

Favourite Scene
                      My absolutely brand new favourite scene is the one where Sam updates Jack on the plan as they walk to the elevator; they get in and she asks for his opinion and he says 'I have some notes.'

Favourite Quote
                      Sam: You're worried that the super soldier will kill Ramius and then just slaughter the rest of us.
                      Jack: Super Soldier?
                      Sam: No?
                      Jack: It has a ring.

Discussion - General
                      OK, so I love Evolution as a story. Bra'tac and Jacob which is always made of win. The Indiana Jones element for Daniel (although I still maintain it makes no sense sending just two scientists alone to get the device - surely some kind of military escort would have made sense even if it is Earth).

There is a lot of exposition in this part before the action shifts to the planet and the capture/escape. But it's a good set-up for the next part.

Sam and Jack
                      It really struck me on rewatching just how long Jack is absent at the beginning without a word being mentioned of where he is or what he's doing. He's just not there. Presumably he's off doing other things and is recalled for the mission to capture the supersoldier.

Once Jack does turn up, there are a lot of cute moments between the two of them. The plan discussion is one; the mission itself another; the scene in the cell with the banter both about Jack's joke and Carter's naming of the supersoldier; the check to make sure she got the soldier; the look they share at the end with the news about Daniel.

The scene in the cell is very interesting because their attention is divided between each other and the other issues facing them - Sam keeping Reynolds stable, Jack trying to get them out, and yet both are completely aware of the other, completely keeping track of the other, completely relying on each other. It's a great scene where both of them are completely synch with each other on a professional and personal basis. And again a great set-up for the next part.
                      Last edited by Rachel500; 05 November 2010, 12:36 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay, people, I'm so sorry I don't have the Evolution 3 review up. I got home from Houston and three of the five kids were sick, which they kindly shared with me, so now I'm sniffling and coughing and all kinds of stuffy. So, I'm working on it--I will get it up as soon as is humanly possible. In the meantime, please talk amongst yourselves and ignore the nasty hacking I'm doing over here.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories AO3

Comment

Great review, Rach.

I really enjoyed Evolution (both parts!). The episode had a different feel to it then usual Stargate... I don't know if it was the film they used, or the lighting... there was just something about it that looked different... in a good way!

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
                          (although I still maintain it makes no sense sending just two scientists alone to get the device - surely some kind of military escort would have made sense even if it is Earth).
                          I thought the same thing about Hammond sending Daniel and Dr. Lee by themselves without any backup! Though, on the other hand, Daniel has been on the elite front-line team for 5 years (plus one year as an ascended being) so perhaps Hammond thought he had the experience. I don't think they suspected to be kidnapped and transported over the line to to Nicaragua!

Comment

Actually, it's probably highly unlikely that Hammond COULD send a military escort. Unfortunately, sending in military personnel could have set off an international incident drawing attention to a top secret program that they clearly wouldn't want anyone to know about.

Additionally, Daniel, combat experience aside, is an actual academic and therefore less likely to ding the radar. Our (the USA) relationship with Latin American countries can be very, very precarious. Even unarmed or out of uniform, the larger the group the more obvious you are and no doubt Daniel, having traveled to places like Egypt had all the visas and credentials.

Not saying they couldn't really work it up for some extra manpower, but I don't think they were expecting anyone to kidnap them. For all intents and purposes they were going to go in and get out, a week tops. Turns out the device made people CRAZY.

On topic...

I love that quote too Rachel

Comment

Seeing as we've got a bit behind with the rewatch, how about we just push all the episodes back a slot from now on? So I'll post Grace on Thursday instead of tomorrow, giving us time for the second part of Evolution to be posted and discussed. Then Fallout can be on 15th Nov, Chimera on 18th Nov etc. What does everyone think?
                              sigpic
                              Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

I'm mostly lurking now but you have my approval and support if it's needed/wanted.
                                There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                                sigpic
                                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Working...
                                X