Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill Ship Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
    That's a pretty valid point actually. At the end of the episode we do see that Older Jack and Clone Jack are two separate people who are chosing to follow different paths. I still don't quite "buy" the whole idea but it does add a qualifier onto previous actions withint the episode as you point out.

And, not at all serious but I'm sure someone, somewhere was bemoaning the fact we'd not "thunked the bum" enough in this discussion so, for your delectation, I present CuteSleepingJack and his cute derrière:

In my own guttery version of that scene had Sam getting on the bed and when she nudges Jack, he dreams that Sam and just joined him bed and he grabs Sam to him, plants a small kiss and says 'love you'.
    No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
    It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500 View Post
      [B]Fragile Balance

Finally, I do love the reunion scenes and the quote of "Carter, I should be irked by this." Because again, our Jack does turn to her for answers in the Asgard ship which takes us back to the beginning really to when Clone!Jack was most like Original!Jack: one who trusts in Sam absolutely.
      I love that quote. To me, it's more mentorship/friendship than shippyness (but then again, the friendship is the backbone to the shippyness). He asks if he should be irked by it and she says something like, "I would sir." But, there's been soooo many times where Jack has asked Sam to back up his opinion, or his joke, or something. I know it's been done a lot but memory escapes me. One of the times was in The Other Guys when they're in the cell and he's all "Carter, be honest, the resume gag...?" and she just doesn't have the heart to tell him. I'm not being very articulate on what I mean here, but I just love those quotes. It's like it's part "she's my 2iC and always has my back" mixed with "her opinion matters" with a dash of "no one enjoys my lame jokes like she does"

I'm overseas right now, but when I get home I just might do a rewatch to look out for those and then put them all together in a video.

Comment

Reading the discussion on Fragile Balance I'm wondering if I'm even watching the same episode as everyone else. I seem to view it from a different perspective because to me it is not a humorous episode. I always thought the writers were simply trying to write a regular episode of SG1, with it's usual touches of humor, without RDA (something they struggled with a lot in season 7 and were most successful with in this episode IMO). I do not consider this the high concept humorous episodes like say Urgo, WoO, The Other Guys, or Avenger, which I believe was meant to be Season 7's humor outing.

In fact, to me, Fragile Balance is the single most tragic episode of all of SG1 because it ends with Jack all alone and trapped in a body and a life that does not suit who he is. I absolutely abhor that ending, which is the one place where I think the writers were going for light-hearted and funny and utterly failed because they didn't think it all the way through. Up until that point, I felt they weren't writing for Michael Welch, they wrote the script like it was RDA, and their writing with Welch's acting convinced me, perhaps a little too well. Thus making the ending both sad and creepy.

I agree with others that this is the one place where a sad ending (the clone's death) would have been so much better for the story, and I rarely say that because I like happy endings and I almost never mind that SG1 usually has them (I didn't want the civilizations to die in Red Sky or Scorched Earth, for example). I also think it would have been a good ending for the other characters. A chance to reflect momentarily on how fragile and fleeting life really is; something they don't do often in the midst of their constant death-defying daring do. But most of all, it may have put a stop to all of the truly awful mini-Jack clone fic, which I personally abhore. (I'm going to put in a plug here for Rachel's Aftershocks for this episode: A Tale of Two Jacks. It is the only Fragile Balance TAG I have ever liked because she gives me the conclusion that should have been there all along.)

Once I set aside the ending, I can really appreciate how good this episode is. I do admire Welch's performance. GateWorld has excellent interview with him here that talks about his preparation and experience that I would encourage everyone to listen to. I have to say, he's a dead-on ringer for a young RDA, IMO. (Maybe it's the eyes. One thing that always bugged me about the young Hammond in "1969" was that he had brown eyes when Don S. Davis's eyes are clearly blue.) I think his mannerisms and tone of voice were spot on. And if it sounded wrong or annoying as some have said that fits the character all the more because a teenager just shouldn't talk or act like that. It doesn't have the same effect as scary adult Colonel, which I believe was highlighted in the cafeteria scene where Sam is finding it difficult to act as serious and disciplined as she normally would around him.

And if some of his actions seem over-the-top (although it didn't to me), I'd chalk it up to hormones. Heck, when I'm PMSing I have a hard time controlling my emotions; I'd hate to be suddenly thrown back into the body of a teenager. I'd be out of control!

I don't think Jack reading comic books or using the Playstation is out of character either. Yes he plays chess and likes opera, but he also plays with a yo-yo when he's accused of being a brainwashed double agent about to get his brain sucked out. So I'd say there's room enough in his character for both. I think it is kind of sweet that Sam is the one who sets up the Playstation for him. She knows what he likes. And where do you think she got it?

I like the cafeteria scene. I find it to be very multi-layered. Sam is having difficulties keeping her guard up when faced with "cute" teenage Jack, and Jack is very concerned that Sam see him for his true self and not a kid, hence the reminder I'm still the Colonel. I really think he was bothered by Sam's less than respectful attitude because he doesn't like the idea that he might be diminished in her eyes. And I really find it interesting that Teal'c makes a comment about Jack's younger body having greater vitality, and he is very quick to point out that his vitality in his older body was just fine, as he glances over at Sam to make sure she knows that.

In fact, I think that I want you to still repect me attitude carries through to the briefing scene, which never bothered me in terms of Jack's actions. (I thought the pilots were insubordinate and should have been reprimanded.) He just had to be "rescued" from the SFs by Sam; so his bravado about being able to take them and then barging in and taking over the briefing and making the cocky pilots sit up and take notice was his way of showing others, but I think especially Sam, that he can still take them.

And I don't see his running out of the SGC as being the act of a scared teenager. I think it was because, as others have pointed out, he can't say no to Sam. He's all ready to tell Jacob and the Tok'ra what they can do with their help when she pulls out her ultimate weapon, "Please." He cannot say no to her when she looks at him with those swimming blue eyes and says that. (And heaven help him if they were to ever have daughters.) But he can't bring himself to say yes, not this time. So he asks for time to think about it and then he leaves so that he doesn't have to say no to her.

So much of Jack's actions are all about Sam and her reactions. When young Jack figures out the Asgard tech and beams everyone aboard the ship the first thing he says, "See Carter, I told you I could figure it out." When original Jack is back he turns to Sam, "What's going on?" "Shouldn't I be irked." Old or young, he needs to be seen as a man worthy in her eyes. And isn't that just the way of things. Men do try to live up to the expectations and receive the admiration of the women they love. Hence, "I haven't been acting like myself since I met you" was really a compliment of how she had made him a better man, and she continues to be the rod by which he judges himself.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
          In fact, to me, Fragile Balance is the single most tragic episode of all of SG1 because it ends with Jack all alone and trapped in a body and a life that does not suit who he is. I absolutely abhor that ending, which is the one place where I think the writers were going for light-hearted and funny and utterly failed because they didn't think it all the way through. Up until that point, I felt they weren't writing for Michael Welch, they wrote the script like it was RDA, and their writing with Welch's acting convinced me, perhaps a little too well. Thus making the ending both sad and creepy.

I agree with others that this is the one place where a sad ending (the clone's death) would have been so much better for the story, and I rarely say that because I like happy endings and I almost never mind that SG1 usually has them (I didn't want the civilizations to die in Red Sky or Scorched Earth, for example). I also think it would have been a good ending for the other characters. A chance to reflect momentarily on how fragile and fleeting life really is; something they don't do often in the midst of their constant death-defying daring do. But most of all, it may have put a stop to all of the truly awful mini-Jack clone fic, which I personally abhore. (I'm going to put in a plug here for Rachel's Aftershocks for this episode: A Tale of Two Jacks. It is the only Fragile Balance TAG I have ever liked because she gives me the conclusion that should have been there all along.)
          There is tragically not enough decent clone!fic out there LOL - but then I prefer the kind where he meets the point of "non-existence" (death or otherwise)...and um that's not really what people tend to write. Rachel's was fantastically excellent.

So. I think I generally agree

Comment

In fact, to me, Fragile Balance is the single most tragic episode of all of SG1 because it ends with Jack all alone and trapped in a body and a life that does not suit who he is.
            I agree, and this is why I said that for me FB is a wasted opportunity. Because I do think that it was meant to be a light-hearted, humorous episode and it just doesn't gel with its serious content. I find clone!Jack's situation tragic and constant playing it for laughs just doesn't work for me.

Besides, it's the only Jack-centred episode this season, and after season 6 which treated us to Abyss & Paradise Lost it's a huge let down.

But most of all, it may have put a stop to all of the truly awful mini-Jack clone fic, which I personally abhore. (I'm going to put in a plug here for Rachel's Aftershocks for this episode: A Tale of Two Jacks. It is the only Fragile Balance TAG I have ever liked because she gives me the conclusion that should have been there all along.)
            Oww...I don't think Discussion thread is the right place to talk about fanfics again so I'll put it in spoilers, but as I said, for me tags to Fragile Balance were the best thing that came out of the episode. Maybe I've been lucky enough to read only the good ones
            Spoiler:

I mean, how can you not like SGCBearcub's Monkey Screaming Series (part I, part II, part III), which IMO is one of the best fanfics ever written in the entire fandom? Or Annerb's A Rush of Blood to the Head? Christie's 'Sets of Two: A Mini!Series' that starts with Duality, not to mention Chezza's Waking the Colonel and a ton of other fabulous fics that I'm blaking on atm. Suffice to say, most of my favourite writers dabbled in mini!verse with awesome results.

And if some of his actions seem over-the-top (although it didn't to me), I'd chalk it up to hormones. Heck, when I'm PMSing I have a hard time controlling my emotions; I'd hate to be suddenly thrown back into the body of a teenager. I'd be out of control!
            Hmm, that's a good point. But it begs a question, is it really possible that an experienced Black Ops vet, trained in mind control and drugs resistance would be so susceptible to hormons and suddenly unable to control himself sufficiently?

I don't think Jack reading comic books or using the Playstation is out of character either.
            In itself it isn't. But IMO season 7 is the time when Jack-serious-competent-snarky-leader due to RDA's reduced screentime started to be used as Jack-comic-relief, and in hindsight comic books and Playstation were the first signs of that.

And I really find it interesting that Teal'c makes a comment about Jack's younger body having greater vitality, and he is very quick to point out that his vitality in his older body was just fine, as he glances over at Sam to make sure she knows that.
            I like that moment.

In fact, I think that I want you to still repect me attitude carries through to the briefing scene, which never bothered me in terms of Jack's actions. (I thought the pilots were insubordinate and should have been reprimanded.) He just had to be "rescued" from the SFs by Sam; so his bravado about being able to take them and then barging in and taking over the briefing and making the cocky pilots sit up and take notice was his way of showing others, but I think especially Sam, that he can still take them.
            Yes, that's how I see it too, although I think it was more about the pilots than Sam.

And I don't see his running out of the SGC as being the act of a scared teenager. I think it was because, as others have pointed out, he can't say no to Sam.
            I agree about the bolded. I don't think he did it because of any "teenage problems", shall we say. I see it as the same attitude previously mentioned, desire to make his own decisions on his own terms, especially important now, when he was being judged and treated according to his looks and not his character and experience.

I also have to disagree with the notion he can't say 'no' to Sam. I don't think I would love his character as much as I do if I were to believe he's unable to refuse his subordinate because of his personal feelings.

Hence, "I haven't been acting like myself since I met you" was really a compliment of how she had made him a better man, and she continues to be the rod by which he judges himself.
            Similarly, as I said in our "Shades of Grey" discussion, I don't see this comment as shippy at all, as I believe Jack was referring to his previous career in Special/Black Ops and not Sam.
            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
            sigpic
            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
              I also have to disagree with the notion he can't say 'no' to Sam. I don't think I would love his character as much as I do if I were to believe he's unable to refuse his subordinate because of his personal feelings.
              I don't mean that he can never say no to Sam. But when we are talking life and death and she is saying to him, please don't choose to die, I can't see how his personal feelings don't get involved. He has said he'd rather die than live without her. Although we never hear it, I'm pretty sure she's said essentially the same thing. To know that he is possibly making a choice that is going to make her have to live through that, and knowing that he is absolute rubbish at confronting and constructively dealing with personal feelings and strong emotions like that (not to mention that they really can't discuss it) I can see how he would consider walking away and just letting it happen the better choice.

Comment

Reading the discussion on Fragile Balance I'm wondering if I'm even watching the same episode as everyone else. I seem to view it from a different perspective because to me it is not a humorous episode. I always thought the writers were simply trying to write a regular episode of SG1, with it's usual touches of humor, without RDA (something they struggled with a lot in season 7 and were most successful with in this episode IMO). I do not consider this the high concept humorous episodes like say Urgo, WoO, The Other Guys, or Avenger, which I believe was meant to be Season 7's humor outing.
                See this right here is one thing I completely fangurl about this tv show! you can have half a dozen people watch the same ep and each come away with something completely different each time they watch it. I guess that's one thing that keeps this show so awesome and fresh over 7 years after this ep first aired.
                Sorry um [/fangurl]

I think the fanfic thing works both ways in some respects, by leaving Jack all alone in a teenage body some writers felt the need to make it less tragic - some of that is the death of the clone and some creates a mini!team obviously doesn't have to be everyone's thing

Your idea of Jack still not being able to say no to Sam's "please" so attempting to take a different way out is really interesting, gonna go think about that some more!
                sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I generally see the "not being able to say 'no' to Sam" as rooted in a complicated twisting of his feelings and duty. Before the SG program, has far as Jack was concerned, he'd lost everything - Charlie, his wife...his own sense of honor. He'd failed in some of the worst ways.

Then he joins the SG program and he has meaning and purpose, he comes back from that brink - not all the way, he still has a lot of pain, but enough that it lets him believe he has purpose.

And then...he meets Sam. By the end of the S. 3 I think he's well aware of, at the very least, his deep attraction to her and the fledgling emotions that are starting to surface...

It's the protector in him. As long as he thinks someone else needs him, especially someone he cares about "a lot more than he's supposed to" - he can't entirely let go. "Abyss" really captures that - Jack doesn't leave his people behind true, but isn't it interesting that it was a woman with whom Kanan had been intimate?

Jack's old school - he certainly doesn't think of Sam as incapable, but he feels that...duty? Honor?

Something like that anyway.

Comment

Banner by Aveo Amacus

SYNOPSIS:

SG-1 comes in from a mission "hot". Sam, Daniel, and the Colonel come through the puddle, and then inform the 'Gateroom that Teal'c is just behind them. As he comes through, a Jaffa races after him, and shoots several staff blasts wildly before he is shot and killed. Teal'c has been wounded by one of these shots, however, and collapses. Janet and her team rush in to save him.

Teal'c revives in the infirmary, and Janet explains that he was shot in the symbiote pouch, but because it was empty, the blast went through the pouch and impacted instead with Teal'c's spine and soft tissues. With physical therapy, he should make a full recovery. Teal'c asks about the Jaffa who shot him, and is informed that the Jaffa was dead, and his symbiote could not be recovered.

After Janet explains Teal'c's injuries and prognosis to the rest of the team and Hammond, Daniel goes to see him. He asks about Rya'c, in the beginning, and then about the jell-o containers on the table at Teal'c's side. Teal'c says that they were brought by Jack, in an attempt to show sympathy. He then goes on to tell Daniel that he doesn't need any sympathy because it was his own fault that he was injured.
                    "I fell behind." He explains, "I was—"
                    "Covering us." Daniel interjects.
                    Daniel is astounded by this, and by Teal'c's reaction (he actually tears up). He leaves, as per Teal'c's wishes, and as he's going, he hears Rya'c's voice in his head, the first of a series of auditory clues that something is trying to make its way out of Daniel's memory.

Time passes, and Teal'c is now going through physical therapy, working in the gym with the aid of a back brace and some parallel bars. Sam and Daniel are working out nearby, Sam on some kind of weight machine, while Daniel is doing curls with a barbell. They are talking about a movie that Sam had watched the night before, about aliens who invade Earth, only to find that they aren't compatible with the water here. After a little forgettable-poke-fun-at-ourselves banter, Daniel spaces out again. When Sam questions him, he explains that he's forgotten something, and feels that it's really important.

Meanwhile, Teal'c has finished his therapy appointment, but tries to carry on. He falls against the bars, and Daniel reaches out to help him, but Teal'c forcefully pushes him back and refuses the aid, saying, "Leave me be."

Daniel is bothered enough by his "hallucinations" that he asks to go through the data on base in relation to incoming wormholes. While Sam is explaining how to read the information and what it means, he wonders aloud if he made the right decision in becoming human again.
                    "The hardest part is not knowing whether I chose to be here like this. If I'd be doing more good if I were still—"
                    "Ascended?" Sam finishes for him.
                    After a meaningful pause, she leaves him alone in the Control Room.

Teal'c is cleared for resumption of active duty, but he insists that he isn't ready yet.

Daniel is still going through data when Jack enters and asks if he's found anything. Still stymied, Daniel says that he's broadened his search. Jack, however tells him to take a break, and then suggests that they go and pay Teal'c a visit. Dr. Fraiser feels he needs a little pep talk. There is a little banter, and Daniel decides to accompany Jack.

In the infirmary, Teal'c tells Daniel and Jack that he has been lying to them. That since losing his symbiote and starting to take Tretonin, he has been feeling weak. The word for weakness for the Jaffa, "kek", is the same word as the word for death. Meaning that if a Jaffa is weak, he may as well be dead. Daniel tries to talk him out of feeling that way, but Jack, apparently knowing that it won't work, stops him, and they leave. Once out in the hallway, Jack explains that Teal'c has lost his mojo, and no amount of talking will help him get it back.

But Daniel goes back to Teal'c and asks for his help in performing kelnorim, believing that this method of meditation would help Daniel to recall what it is that he has forgotten. While in the state of kelnorim, Daniel ses a prison camp, full of Jaffa, and a shipyard of sorts. He also sees Bra'tac and Rya'c. Teal'c tells Daniel that when he was fighting to stay alive after the previous ambush that deprived him of his symbiote, Daniel was there with him, appearing in his delusions, and watching over him and Bra'tac. For this reason, he believes that Daniel speaks in earnest.

Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c speak with General Hammond, who also believes him. He agrees to send for Raknor, another rebel Jaffa who has been working with Bra'tac.

For the first time, the camp is shown—medieval in style--it is a labor camp. Rya'c and Bra'tac are engaged in seemingly pointless manual labor, poking at rocks with sticks. Meanwhile, four other prisoners are having trouble lifting a large stack of rock. When they fail, they are sentenced to death. One tries to run away, but he's caught with a staff blast, and then the other three are executed. Rya'c is obviously losing faith that there will be a rescue, and Bra'tac is running out of Tretonin.

Raknor, now at the SGC says that he knows of the planet in Daniel's memory, and that it is a labor camp. The 'Gate, however, is impenetrable, being guarded as it is by a force field not unlike the Earth "iris". Daniel has a renewed vision of Bra'tac sending a message or data stream through the open wormhole just before his capture. This signal, it is decided, can be used to power down the force field. This is the information that Daniel had been looking for. Sam looks in the Alphasite records database for the signal, finds it, and figures that she can synthesize it.

They gear up and head to the 'Gate. Teal'c tells O'Neill that he thinks he might be a liability on this mission, but Jack dismisses that. He then asks Jack to take responsibility for Rya'c should he die, and Jack says he will. They 'Gate through, and leave SG-3 at the 'Gate and then head towards the camp.

Bra'tac is out of Tretonin. Rya'c is out of faith.

SG-1 arrives at a look out point above the camp and are able to locate Rya'c with binoculars. They decide that it's necessary to wait until dark to try to infiltrate the camp. Once night falls, Teal'c and Raknor go into camp. They sneak into a tent and find Bra'tac, administering Tretonin to him immediately. Teal'c suggests that they carry Bra'tac out of camp, but Rya'c insists that they rescue all of the Jaffa there. Teal'c is captured during this discussion, and beaten severely. Even though everyone knows what is happening, they can't stop the torture without screwing up the entire mission.

In the morning, O'Neill and Sam decide that they can't perform the mission as planned, and they opt for another plan. Sam and Daniel ring into the ship still under construction and plant C-4 while the Jaffa in the camp spread the word that something is going to happen.

Teal'c has been brought to his tent to recuperate, and Rya'c doesn't understand why Teal'c must rest. Angry, Rya'c leaves to go and speak to his fellow captive Jaffa. Meanwhile, Bra'tac has witnessed the exchange, and he reminds Teal'c that his strength comes not from his corporeal form, but from his heart. This seems to resonate within Teal'c.

Meanwhile, Jaffa on the ship have surrounded the ring platform, and Daniel and Sam are trapped. In the camp, Rya'c has been caught out of his work area, and is brought for punishment. Upon hearing this, Teal'c volunteers himself instead. The HJiC (Head Jaffa in Charge—ha ha) beats him around a little, and then stands back to execute him, but just in the nick of time, the C-4 blows, the ring guards run, and Sam and Daniel are able to ring back down before the whole thing falls down. SG-1 starts sniping at the guards below, and shooting grenade thing at them. Teal'c manages to take down the HJiC by snapping his neck, and the whole battle ends in a great tableau of the three Jaffa—Teal'c, Bra'tac, and Raknor—lowering their staff weapons and firing on a line of oncoming bad guys.

Back safe, Daniel and Teal'c gather again for kelnorim. Teal'c has realized that although he technically doesn't need to kelnorim, the mediation helps him stay centered. Daniel tells Teal'c that he's finally discovered where he belongs—that there is great good that he can do and that he belongs in the SGC.

To be continued. . .
                    sigpic
                    My Stories: FFdotNet
                    My Stories AO3
                    Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

Banner by Aveo Amacus

Discussion Points:

This episode, for some reason, is my personal favorite of the "Jaffa" episodes. I have NO idea why, and furthermore, right now, since I've watched it several times a day now for a few days, I really don't care if I ever see it again.

But if I had to guess, I'd say it's because it is a humanizing episode for Teal'c—and it forces him to make some decisions about how he sees himself. In the beginning, the look on his face when he realizes that he's been hit is one of shock, rather than pain, and I would hypothesize that the shock is coming from the realization that he's mortal. That he's not going to meditate for a while and end up healed. I think he is feeling fear, and that's also a new thing for him.

When Janet is explaining to him what happened—how close he came to death, he asks her about the other Jaffa. She tells him that he's dead, and that his symbiote couldn't be saved. I believe that indicates that, at that point, Teal'c would have been amenable to accepting the symbiote from the dead Jaffa, had it been alive. I think that Teal'c believes that the symbiote is what has given him that strength—and he wants it back—like a crutch.

It's not until the final conversation with Bra'tac that Teal'c sees this—and when he finally understands that he has it within himself to do what needs to be done. Snake, or no.

Daniel goes through a similar issue. Having recently descended, he is having a difficult time with the decision—mainly because he doesn't know why or how the process and decision happened. His statement to Sam in the Control Room about not knowing if he'd made the right choice is poignant because it reflects not only his insecurity with his own decisions, but it also intimates that the people that he knew on Earth weren't worth sticking around for. Sam's response to that—her tone of voice, her eyebrow raise, and her subsequent expression tell a stronger story—that she's understood what Daniel has said, and that she's kind of annoyed by it. I also believe that in the time between his ascension and his retaking of human form, she has gained a healthy "meh" response to ascended beings. I don't think she's terribly impressed by them.

In the end, the good guys get saved, Teal'c figures out where he belongs, andDaniel figures out that he is at home at the SGC too. That only Teal'c and Daniel are together in the final scene is telling, to me, that this was a personal struggle within the larger battle. Their souls were really more important than their bodies at this point. That the worth of a human/Jaffa soul is truly great.

Jack and Daniel also relate differently to Teal'c's mojo misappropriation. Daniel wants to talk about it, and Jack wants to just give him space. It turns out that both of the methods turned out to be necessary—but action was what really brought him back. Being strong enough to win in battle helped him regain his self-confidence.

Cinematography:

There are some nice shots in this ep. I like the canted angles and color wash of Daniel's visions. There's also a beautiful shot of Bra'tac in the tent, with the light on him, Rya'c nearby, as Teal'c is out in the compound being tortured. That was a shot reminiscent of Renaissance Christ portraiture. The lighting was exquisite.

Tretonin:

Bra'tac and Rya'c were in that prison camp for three months. I'm fascinated at how Bra'tac lasted that long, given other episodes where the lack of Tretonin (Sacrifices) and the lack of a symbiote (Bloodlines) resulted in an almost immediate decline in the health of the Jaffa. It's stated that Bra'tac rationed it, but only three days of rationing a symbiote made both Teal'c and Bra'tac so ill in "The Changeling" that they nearly died. How did Bra'tac last three months?

The Goa'uld

This episode also illustrates just how lame the Goa'uld are. They have the technology to hold a space ship in dry-dock in mid-air, but they don't have any means of crushing rock other than making captive Jaffa hit it with long sticks. Jackhammers, people!

Hair:

Sam's was big—HUGE—big in this episode. Teased beyond belief. It was really something I noticed. Seriously. It was Texas hair. (No offense to those of you from Texas—but you know what I mean, right? Ozone layers quell before that layer of Aqua Net. Right?)

Sam and Jack:

Not much in this episode—but there is their mirroring of each other in their choice of stocking caps during their surveillance of the camp, and the fact that they are lying so close together on the ground. When it's apparent that their first plan isn't going to work, they have this exchange that is kind of cute:

Jack: "Time for Plan B."
                      Sam: "We have a Plan B?"
                      Jack: "Nope, but it's time for one."

And so there you have it. I hope that this, my first review/synopsis is acceptable.

Except for one last thing. Raknor is seriously hot. Really that is a very very very handsome man. Wow.

Let the discussion begin!
                      Last edited by Akamaimom; 10 October 2010, 07:09 PM.
                      sigpic
                      My Stories AO3

Comment

Wow AKA! That was one of the most thorough reviews I've read.

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post

Discussion Points:

This episode, for some reason, is my personal favorite of the "Jaffa" episodes. I have NO idea why, and furthermore, right now, since I've watched it several times a day now for a few days, I really don't care if I ever see it again.

But if I had to guess, I'd say it's because it is a humanizing episode for Teal'c—and it forces him to make some decisions about how he sees himself. In the beginning, the look on his face when he realizes that he's been hit is one of shock, rather than pain, and I would hypothesize that the shock is coming from the realization that he's mortal. That he's not going to meditate for a while and end up healed. I think he is feeling fear, and that's also a new thing for him.
                        Personally, I'm not crazy about this episode. I don't care for Jaffa eps anyway, and this one is just boring IMO. Although I am glad that they touched upon Teal'c's experiences now that he no longer has a symbiote, I just don't think it deserved an entire episode.

Daniel goes through a similar issue. Having recently descended, he is having a difficult time with the decision—mainly because he doesn't know why or how the process and decision happened. His statement to Sam in the Control Room about not knowing if he'd made the right choice is poignant because it reflects not only his insecurity with his own decisions, but it also intimates that the people that he knew on Earth weren't worth sticking around for. Sam's response to that—her tone of voice, her eyebrow raise, and her subsequent expression tell a stronger story—that she's understood what Daniel has said, and that she's kind of annoyed by it. I also believe that in the time between his ascension and his retaking of human form, she has gained a healthy "meh" response to ascended beings. I don't think she's terribly impressed by them.
                        This story point also lacks salience for me. I don't get why Daniel wonders if he chose to come back or why it might bother him. He knows (because at the very least he would have been told by the rest of the team) that he wasn't allowed to help them and the other Ascendeds sat back while Abydos was completely destroyed. Whether coming back was a choice or a punishment, I'd think that would be enough information for him to feel fine about no longer being one of them.

As to the bold, I think that's a really interesting point. Sam herself had said that losing Daniel was one of the hardest things she'd ever been through. And she was clearly hurt when she found out that Daniel had visited Jack and Teal'c while ascended but not her. For him to tell her he's not sure he wants to be there could certainly be viewed as insensitive and rather self-absorbed.

Tretonin:

Bra'tac and Rya'c were in that prison camp for three months. I'm fascinated at how Bra'tac lasted that long, given other episodes where the lack of Tretonin (Sacrifices) and the lack of a symbiote (Bloodlines) resulted in an almost immediate decline in the health of the Jaffa. It's stated that Bra'tac rationed it, but only three days of rationing a symbiote made both Teal'c and Bra'tac so ill in "The Changeling" that they nearly died. How did Bra'tac last three months?
                        I admit I wondered about that myself. But they were on this recruitment tour; so maybe knowing they were traveling they packed a 2 1/2 month supply?

The Goa'uld

This episode also illustrates just how lame the Goa'uld are. They have the technology to hold a space ship in dry-dock in mid-air, but they don't have any means of crushing rock other than making captive Jaffa hit it with long sticks. Jackhammers, people!
                        Since this was a prison camp, maybe they withheld the jackhammers as a form of torture.

Hair:

Sam's was big—HUGE—big in this episode. Teased beyond belief. It was really something I noticed. Seriously. It was Texas hair. (No offense to those of you from Texas—but you know what I mean, right? Ozone layers quell before that layer of Aqua Net. Right?)
                        Umm, yep! It is especially noticeable when they're all working out at the gym. It just seems out of place that she's all glistening from exertion and her hair is so up.

Sam and Jack:

Not much in this episode—but there is their mirroring of each other in their choice of stocking caps during their surveillance of the camp, and the fact that they are lying so close together on the ground. When it's apparent that their first plan isn't going to work, they have this exchange that is kind of cute:

Jack: "Time for Plan B."
                        Sam: "We have a Plan B?"
                        Jack: "Nope, but it's time for one."
                        Yep, this episode is very much an example of RDA has most of the week off. I don't even feel it between Sam and Jack here.
                        Last edited by hlndncr; 10 October 2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akamaimom View Post
                          I agree, I think she was probably quite hurt by that comment, I mean you can kinda tell that he's only partially talking to her and kinda thinking out loud, but he does that a lot and I do think it would have stung her at least

Hair:

rofl! I'd never noticed it before but yout're totally right!
                          sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Orpheus

Generally

I really enjoy Orpheus because for once it's SG1 dealing with something that has happened in the storylines previously which impacts a character on a personal level. I love that the show examines how Teal'c is faring with the tretonin and how Daniel is really dealing with his return from Ascension now he has his memories back.

I actually don't mind the latter. I think in Daniel's place I would have questions. Because he doesn't remember the choices he made; the events that took place that led to him being descended. He and everyone at the opening of this episode really assume that he got kicked out of the glowy club for helping them with Anubis and while I think Daniel understands intellectually why he might have made that choice to help them, I think deep down he questions if it was the right choice; because maybe if he'd held to the rules, he could be doing something more as an Ascended being. This situation with Bra'tac and Rya'c allows Daniel to realise for himself the stark choices he faced as an Ascended being; the emotional pull of having to sit by and do nothing; the satisfaction in saving the day and his friends. It allows him to realise that he's exactly where he wants to be, doing more than he could as an Ascended being. I do agree though that Sam is a little hurt and annoyed by Daniel's questioning when she sets him up with the computer. Unsurprisingly really.

I also love that just as Daniel is questioning whether he could do more in his Ascended form, Teal'c is questioning whether he could do more with another Junior in his belly rather than with tretonin. I also love the fact that really it's neither Jack nor Daniel who help Teal'c but Bra'tac with his understanding of Teal'c and of what it means to be Jaffa.

My favourite shot of this whole episode is Bra'tac, Rya'c and Raknor all turning staff weapons in hand to meet the oncoming horde - just a brilliant shot.

Sam and Jack

Again, more of the same steady support and in synch professionalism and friendship that has characterised their interaction in S7. And yes, I love that exchange on "It's time for Plan B" too.
                            sigpic
                            Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                            My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Orpheus

Generally

My favourite shot of this whole episode is Bra'tac, Rya'c and Raknor all turning staff weapons in hand to meet the oncoming horde - just a brilliant shot.

Sam and Jack

Again, more of the same steady support and in synch professionalism and friendship that has characterised their interaction in S7. And yes, I love that exchange on "It's time for Plan B" too.
                              I agree with this. In this one second shot, you really get a sense that all of them have been renewed and healed and rededicated to their cause. And besides, it's fun.
                              sigpic
                              My Stories AO3

Comment

Mine too.

Comment

Working...
                                X